Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short cannon/long forearm ratio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sing Mia Song
    started a topic Short cannon/long forearm ratio

Short cannon/long forearm ratio

I've been having this discussion with Madame Trainer recently about the importance of a short cannon bone relative to the forearm. Of course, being the anal retentive person I am, I'm trying to figure our the idea ratio.

A web search says the consensus is a 1:2 ratio of cannon:forearm. But either that horse doesn't exist, or I am measuring incorrectly, because I've started measuring the legs of just about every horse in the barn.

My markers are the point of the elbow, the bend in the knee when you pick up the leg, and the ergot. Am I doing it wrong?

I'd love to hear the ratios on the very good jumpers out there.

• merrygoround
    replied
    A horse being "well let down" (British term) should be easily determined by the naked eye. Not only does it produce that desirable long reachy stride, it also indicates shorter less easily strained tendons.

Leave a comment:

• Shirley
    replied
    You must measure the cannon bone exactly. Sounds as if you are adding some end bones of the radius and P1, first phalanx

Leave a comment:

• Plumcreek
    replied
    This is a big point with me, for sweepy front leg movement in the HUS class. I just check it visuallly, a visually long legged horse with noticably short cannons, as I am usually looking at photographs.

Leave a comment:

• mrsbradbury
    replied
    Very intersting, I would not measure the cannon down to the ergot, but rather stop at the back of the ankle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X