• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Need Hunter/Jumper trainer in Norcal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Hunter/Jumper trainer in Norcal

    I need a hunter jumper trainer in Norcal. I am located in Sacramento but I am willing to travel or trailer in for lessons or even meet up at shows. If you know someone who's in the bay area, that's fine too. I need someone who is good with difficult horses and horses who are spooky about jumping scary fences (liverpools, coupes, boxes, gates, walls, etc...). Thanks!

  • #2
    Sacramento has a lot of good and capable trainers, but it will really depend on what kind of personality you get along with.

    As far as H/J specific folks, Rudy Leone's solid, but he can be hard for some folks to get along with. Kelly Van Vleck is out at Rancho Murieta and has always been very nice in my experience.

    If you aren't opposed to working with an event trainer, there is also Lynae Zungia - she has a smaller facility and I believe most of her clients are haul-ins, so there's not a whole lot of "haul-in vs boarder" drama that you get in some of the H/J barns.

    Also, there's a show at Rancho Murieta tomorrow (the 29th) and that'd be a great time to check out some local trainers in action.
    Whee!

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Originally posted by ef80 View Post
      Sacramento has a lot of good and capable trainers, but it will really depend on what kind of personality you get along with.

      As far as H/J specific folks, Rudy Leone's solid, but he can be hard for some folks to get along with. Kelly Van Vleck is out at Rancho Murieta and has always been very nice in my experience.

      If you aren't opposed to working with an event trainer, there is also Lynae Zungia - she has a smaller facility and I believe most of her clients are haul-ins, so there's not a whole lot of "haul-in vs boarder" drama that you get in some of the H/J barns.

      Also, there's a show at Rancho Murieta tomorrow (the 29th) and that'd be a great time to check out some local trainers in action.
      I believe to train with Kelly you have to board there...I could be wrong. It might be the same at Rudy's. My horse used to be at Rudy's actually and she did okay but I really need someone who is good with spooky horses or willing to work on difficult horses.

      No I am not opposed to an event trainer at all. How would I get ahold of Lynae?

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't know how far they are from Sacramento but Buddy and Vanessa Brown at Derby Hill in Livermore would be my choice.

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          Originally posted by shade View Post
          I don't know how far they are from Sacramento but Buddy and Vanessa Brown at Derby Hill in Livermore would be my choice.
          I was actually thinking of them or Duncan Mcfarlane! Do you think buddy and Vanessa would let me trailer in?

          Also are they good with spooky horses?

          Comment

          • Original Poster

            #6
            Anyone have any other suggestions? I really just need someone who is good with spooky horses and is willing to work with them. I want to keep all options open in case something doesn't work out.

            Comment


            • #7
              Carol Wright at Melodic Farms is excellent in all those areas.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MoonPie730 View Post
                I was actually thinking of them or Duncan Mcfarlane! Do you think buddy and Vanessa would let me trailer in?
                I don't know if Gry & Duncan take trailer in clients--and the last time I checked (last fall) they had a waiting list yeah long for their program...but call them anyway, what's the worst they could say?

                Worth a shot...

                As to Rudy--he's very good with particular personalities (who isn't, really?).
                I think he has had some very vocal disgruntled clients in the past--but, so what, that's their experience! Worth a call as well...

                http://www.sahja.org/ might help you find some more names in that area.


                I'm fairly sure that the Gold n Grand show is a western QH show--that's the Murieta show someone else mentioned that's coming up this weekend.

                Pickwick Classic at Brookside is coming up April 9-13; many of the bigger local trainers will be at that show (as it's an A show and a Spruce Qualifier). Unless you don't want the A show trainer, in which case, go to the next B show--I think that'd be at Starr Vaughn April 17-20 (though there are plenty of A level trainer barns that go to the B shows, too!).

                Good luck. If you are motivated enough, I can't see you having much trouble finding a great trainer in the Sacto area!

                Comment

                • Original Poster

                  #9
                  Originally posted by quiet5 View Post
                  I don't know if Gry & Duncan take trailer in clients--and the last time I checked (last fall) they had a waiting list yeah long for their program...but call them anyway, what's the worst they could say?

                  Worth a shot...

                  As to Rudy--he's very good with particular personalities (who isn't, really?).
                  I think he has had some very vocal disgruntled clients in the past--but, so what, that's their experience! Worth a call as well...

                  http://www.sahja.org/ might help you find some more names in that area.


                  I'm fairly sure that the Gold n Grand show is a western QH show--that's the Murieta show someone else mentioned that's coming up this weekend.

                  Pickwick Classic at Brookside is coming up April 9-13; many of the bigger local trainers will be at that show (as it's an A show and a Spruce Qualifier). Unless you don't want the A show trainer, in which case, go to the next B show--I think that'd be at Starr Vaughn April 17-20 (though there are plenty of A level trainer barns that go to the B shows, too!).

                  Good luck. If you are motivated enough, I can't see you having much trouble finding a great trainer in the Sacto area!
                  Yeah I used to be at Rudy's. Do you think he lets ppl trailer in? I remember being at shows where ppl would meet up with him.

                  Is buddy brown good with difficult horses?

                  I am familiar with a lot of the names. I just need to know who is good/willing to work with a difficult horse and who would let me trailer in. I finally found a place that she is super happy at and calm so I don't want to move her.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MoonPie730 View Post
                    Yeah I used to be at Rudy's. Do you think he lets ppl trailer in? I remember being at shows where ppl would meet up with him.

                    Is buddy brown good with difficult horses?

                    I am familiar with a lot of the names. I just need to know who is good/willing to work with a difficult horse and who would let me trailer in. I finally found a place that she is super happy at and calm so I don't want to move her.

                    Sure--It's not whether these people are good with difficult horses, it's whether they'd be willing to help you with your difficult horse--And I can't answer that--only they can. Call them up!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MoonPie730 View Post
                      I need a hunter jumper trainer in Norcal. I am located in Sacramento but I am willing to travel or trailer in for lessons or even meet up at shows. If you know someone who's in the bay area, that's fine too. I need someone who is good with difficult horses and horses who are spooky about jumping scary fences (liverpools, coupes, boxes, gates, walls, etc...). Thanks!
                      Perhaps Lisa Quintero at Leap of Faith in Walnut Creek? I don't know her personally but I will be at Leap of Faith on Tues. I have seen her ride but am not sure about the staff she employs. I really do like Buddy Brown at Derby Hill in Livermore, that's further than Walnut Creek. I used to know him from years and years ago, he was pretty good with any 4 legged creature as I recall. They have a website; just google Derby Hill and you would see it.
                      Bethe in Texas
                      Bethe Mounce
                      Head Trainer, AmeriCan Romance Equestrian
                      https://www.facebook.com/AmericanRomanceEquestrian
                      Brentwood CA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Heather Whitney Lumley.

                        Horsezee

                        Comment

                        • Original Poster

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Bethe Mounce View Post
                          Perhaps Lisa Quintero at Leap of Faith in Walnut Creek? I don't know her personally but I will be at Leap of Faith on Tues. I have seen her ride but am not sure about the staff she employs. I really do like Buddy Brown at Derby Hill in Livermore, that's further than Walnut Creek. I used to know him from years and years ago, he was pretty good with any 4 legged creature as I recall. They have a website; just google Derby Hill and you would see it.
                          Bethe in Texas
                          Does buddy allow people to trailer in? I have heard of Lise, does she have a website?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You could try Jan Haize in Davis. Or Holly Fox (event trainer who manages UC Davis Equestrian center). My trainer might be helpful too. Who I who recommend really depends on what you need and why your horse is spooky. There is a big difference between a horse that is spooky because it's sensitive and one that is spooky because it's naughty.

                            Comment

                            • Original Poster

                              #15
                              Originally posted by fourmares View Post
                              You could try Jan Haize in Davis. Or Holly Fox (event trainer who manages UC Davis Equestrian center). My trainer might be helpful too. Who I who recommend really depends on what you need and why your horse is spooky. There is a big difference between a horse that is spooky because it's sensitive and one that is spooky because it's naughty.
                              My horse is really backed off at fences we've literally never jumped. We went down to the oaks and showpark and it was a nightmare. You can't school on the grass the day before, you have to school in a sand arena, so we never got a chance to see the fences or jump them. Luckily we did okay. Other rated shows we did fine at b/c we were able to school in the arena the day before classes started.

                              Also we moved up way too quickly. I think my horse really needs confidence and someone who is good with horses who get backed off and are super careful over fences they haven't seen before.

                              Comment

                              • Original Poster

                                #16
                                Originally posted by chalkhorse farm View Post
                                Carol Wright at Melodic Farms is excellent in all those areas.
                                Is carol good with spooky horses? Does she accept trailer in clients?

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by MoonPie730 View Post
                                  Does buddy allow people to trailer in? I have heard of Lise, does she have a website?

                                  Yes, she has a website, just go to http://www.leapoffaithfarms.com and look under their training section and there is a website for her.

                                  I would think, but have no clue, that Derby Hill probably allows folks to trailer in, however, I do believe, if you look at their website, they prefer folks keep their horses at their farm with a fairly intense training program. They seem to be more of a training facility with quite a few clients who keep their horses there--they show alot too. I would call them, however, if, and that's a HUGE if, I have time, I will see what I can do about visiting their place in Livermore on Tues after Leap of Faith. I will call/email them today and see about it. I have always liked Buddy Brown's way of riding/teaching/training. It's been a LONG time since I have seen him too! :-)
                                  Bethe in Texas
                                  Bethe Mounce
                                  Head Trainer, AmeriCan Romance Equestrian
                                  https://www.facebook.com/AmericanRomanceEquestrian
                                  Brentwood CA

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by MoonPie730 View Post
                                    I was actually thinking of them or Duncan Mcfarlane! Do you think buddy and Vanessa would let me trailer in?

                                    Also are they good with spooky horses?
                                    Yes on the shipping in. They had people come in for lessons when I was up visiting them. They are both great with spooky horses. Buddy grew up riding TB's...you really can't beat the expierience Buddy has. And they are both exceptional horseman, and super nice people also.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Does anyone know if Jill Monroe at Rudy's trains outside riders? She might be a good choice.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        I would deffinately give Buddy a call..I"ve also known Buddy for years. Buddy's the type that will try and help anyone he can. I can't recommend him enough. It's amazing to sit and watch him ride and teach.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X