• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Support Group for 2008? (Enablers Not-So-Anonymous)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Group for 2008? (Enablers Not-So-Anonymous)

I need a support group. Anyone out there trying to do that same thing? Let's make a group and help each other to be strong!

I will not purchase unneccessary items.
    I will not surcome to the advertising from every tack shop on the planet that finds it way to my inbox and my postal mail box.
    I will try to place some of my unused equipment on ebay and get rid of it.
    I will not horde new open front jumping boots in my cabinets.
    I will not buy everything in quantities of 2 or more so that my horses match.
    I will not spend endless dollars on pictures at horseshows.
    I will be stronger than my urges to buy things.

-this morning I was on Automall.com shopping for a BMW 7 series. Am I out of my cotton picking mind? I only drive once or twice a week and that usually involves pulling the horse trailer.

HELP me!
    Last edited by tidy rabbit; May. 22, 2008, 02:57 PM.
    Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

I would join!

But I think, given the attitude of the COTH BB, we would just end up justifying eachothers habits rather than stopping them.

But here goes...

I will not continue to look at CANTER, Kimberly Clark's website, and equine.com b/c I know that I cannot and should not purchase a horse when I live in S FL with no turnout and $17/bale hay. I love my lease, I love my lease... even though she added a really cute 16.2h OTTB this morning that just looks like my next horse. Darnit.

I will supress my urge to collect every TS schooling breech color that they make...

I will not buy ANOTHER full set of open front boots...

I will not click on the inviting "Smart Pak" icon that is flashing just to the right of my cursor on this website...

Comment

Is there any hope for us? LOL

I will join ... I have been on a huge Ebay binge lately. Last night I realized that I have spent about two grand recently "saving" all this money with great deals on ... um... a lot of stuff that I don't really need. But oh, the new Royal Rider stirrups were a great price, and new in the box! And I had to have a new regular Thinline pad... after finding that the first one I bought, which had the sheepskin (also a great deal of course!) was just too thick to fit comfortably under my Antares - which really does fit quite well and needs no special padding - but the the promise of eliminating *my* back pain was just too good to resist (I have to admit, it did work... so I do feel justified in buying another!!) But then there was the new pair of Jimmy's reins... new old stock... you know, they're endangered now that Jimmy's has outsourced to India, and ...and... and...

*sigh* So yeah... I'm in. Sign me up
      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

LOL, I've been on a real eBay binge too lately! All of it non-HR stuff: A&F jeans, used LV bags, Hermes scarves....although I did bid on a seriously nice pair of Grand Prix field boots in just my size (like I needed a fourth pair). They went for $80, I think. And I do keep searching for rust TS in my size.

To keep this HR, I am planning to do another cleanout of the stuff stored in my trunk & trailer. Case in point~ do I really NEED 3 pairs of field boots, along with countless bridles, pads, wraps, etc. when I'm currently not riding? Did I mention I got a positive PG test this morning? So, no riding for me for a while! I guess that gives me a legitimate excuse not to horsey shop!
        Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
        Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Comment

I should really clean out my ROOMS of tack. I don't know why I have to have 30+ blankets for 2 horses

I do not need a 8th pair of bell boots!

I do not need another show shirt

I DO need a new bridle (not really isn't 9 enough?)

I WANT rust breeches! Cannot find them though! - It's a good thing!

Comment

P>S> huntjumpsc I think a CONGRATS is needed here? YEAH! ...right? Yep, you should hang up your shopping spurs for a while

Comment

Oh! I want to join!

I will stay off of eBay.
              I will stay off of Tack of the Day.
              I don't need another saddle pad--monogrammed.
              I already have all of the colors they make in polo wraps--so I always 'match'.
              I most definitely do not need another pair of Edgewood fancy stitched white rubber reins! I'm a hunter rider for goodness sake! Never mind that it's 99 in July and their easier to clean (and match my pintos). I don't need them!
              I don't need another pair of Pikeur breeches. 10 are enough.
              I certainly don't need another pair of paddock boots!

Wow! Now I know why I'm always broke!
              Elizabeth
              The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

Comment

I think I may need a support group when it comes to acquiring horses I managed to curb the tack problem when I began running out of room to put it all Not to mention I am constantly between homes (college student) and moving it around is terribly annoying.

Comment

Trot Left~ Hehe! Thanks! It's been a tough road for me & my DH...we had 2 m/c's last year, plus I lost my father, my pony, and had a kidney stone, all in 2007. We've been going to the fertility clinic 2 hours away since January, looks like 2008 is looking up at this point!

But...there IS going to be a problem in the future:
                  "I will not buy more toddler size jods"
                  "My child does NOT need another hunt coat"
                  "I will refrain from bidding on the leadline saddle on eBay"

LOL!!
                  Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
                  Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Comment

Help me too please!

I will not fill my closet with new items as soon as the old stuff is gone. It was sold for a REASON.

I will avoid ebay. I will avoid ebay. I will avoid the Bit N Barter Board. I will avoid ebay.

Comment

I'll bite on this one

I've been very proud of myself this year... I have been making conscious decisions to do significantly less shopping this year.

Since I bought my pony in the fall, and finally sat on him last friday he has earned his black fleece lined white roma full set of boots - so they will be on order shortly, but:

Now barely broke pony DOES NOT need a 3rd baker, or a 3rd winter blanket, and one rain sheet is enough right?

What I do need support with is... nearby welsh breeder is doing a massive herd dispersal internet auction so...

I DO NOT need another pony,
                      I DO NOT need the really cute 14 hh mare who is currently in foal

because I DO NOT need a third pony (the baby) and I DO NOT need to then breed her to my friends fancy connemara stud,

because I DO NOT need a fourth pony (next year's baby)

Maybe Ebaying wasn't so bad after all *sigh*

Comment

The truest sign that I have a problem is that I keep reading everyone's posts and think "now THAT is what I need!"

I do not need anything referenced in any posts by other shopaholic COTHers....

Comment

Originally posted by HuntJumpSC View Post
                          LOL, I've been on a real eBay binge too lately! All of it non-HR stuff: A&F jeans, used LV bags, Hermes scarves....although I did bid on a seriously nice pair of Grand Prix field boots in just my size (like I needed a fourth pair). They went for $80, I think. And I do keep searching for rust TS in my size.

To keep this HR, I am planning to do another cleanout of the stuff stored in my trunk & trailer. Case in point~ do I really NEED 3 pairs of field boots, along with countless bridles, pads, wraps, etc. when I'm currently not riding? Did I mention I got a positive PG test this morning? So, no riding for me for a while! I guess that gives me a legitimate excuse not to horsey shop!
                          Oooooh don't even get me *started* on the non-horsey stuff... do you mean that we are trying to give up THAT shopping too?!?!?!?

I am a big fan of the LV bags, too... and Hermes stuff... oh, yikes. This is going to be awful!
                          We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                          -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I'll play!

I will NOT click on links provided by "kind" COTHers to the cool new products they have. I swear that has led to way too many unnecessary purchases!

I will RESIST the urge to buy the horse I'm going to look at next weekend. I do NOT, I repeat, do NOT need another horse. I'm only going to look to make my friend happy. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it! But he IS awfully cute.....)

After purchasing my back on track sheet and no bows not more than 10 minutes ago, I will NOT return to Tack of the Day again!

I will resist the urge to buy more open front boots (I have a thing...) at the shows this year. The 20-odd pairs that I already have are MORE than enough for my 3 or 4 show horses.

And the pictures at horseshows? Those are my major weakness. I buy at least 5 or 6 photos from every single show. I tell myself every time that I'm ONLY going to buy the "perfect" ones (because really, is there ever more than one or two of those?), and every freakin time I come home with anything even remotely decent.

And my final vow: I WILL keep a tight rein on my checkbook (and credit cards, and cash!) this year! (wait, wouldn't that mean not having horses at all?! )

Comment

I was going to join your support group. I really was.

But then I read through all of the other responses first, and found so many great ideas! Jimmy's on ebay? "Tack of the Day" - new to me! And off I went shopping...again.

Then to top it all off, my new SmartPak catalogue arrived and I saw that Mattes now makes custom square pads with the Mattes sheepskin *correction* pad built in! Oh happy day!!!

(sorry, I am an enabler.)
                              "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

Comment

• Original Poster

You all aren't really helping me you know!

Is there something weird about having 3 pairs of field boots? I have 3 pairs. I don't think it's a question of "need". !!!!

It's a compulsion.
                                I'm going to try to go 30 days without buying anything outside of feed & bedding and anything medically neccessary.

Does breeding my mare count as medically neccessary cause I'm awaiting the breeding contract in the mail! LOL. I can't stop myself.
                                Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateer View Post
                                  Help me too please!

I will not fill my closet with new items as soon as the old stuff is gone. It was sold for a REASON.

I will avoid ebay. I will avoid ebay. I will avoid the Bit N Barter Board. I will avoid ebay.
                                  What's this Bit N Barter Board??? That sounds.......inviting
                                  Elizabeth
                                  The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

Comment

I need to join this!! Ive been stuck on the couch due to recent surgery inhibiting me from work and riding so ebay and tack of the day have become my best friends. OF course my horse needs more pillow, standing, and polo wraps! Two sets is never enough! OF course he needs 2 of every blanket & sheet. Ebay is saving me so much money Two boxes have already shown up from horse loverz, with at least one more from there and 3 more from other locations. Im doomed!!!
                                    "to each his own..."

Comment

Originally posted by tidy rabbit View Post
                                      You all aren't really helping me you know!

Is there something weird about having 3 pairs of field boots? I have 3 pairs. I don't think it's a question of "need". !!!!

It's a compulsion.
                                      I'm going to try to go 30 days without buying anything outside of feed & bedding and anything medically neccessary.

Does breeding my mare count as medically neccessary cause I'm awaiting the breeding contract in the mail! LOL. I can't stop myself.
                                      I think it sounds "stingy," TR! I personally own 7 pairs of field boots (granted, 3 of them are my old boots that I've retired but hung onto because I'm a packrat ). I have 4 pairs of "show" boots despite the fact that I school daily in my half chaps (of which I have 4 pair) or custom chaps (of which I have 3).

Oh man, I SERIOUSLY need this support group!

Comment

Originally posted by tidy rabbit View Post

Actually yes it is a question of need! haha According to many BNT I've ridden with you must have at least 3 pairs of functional field boots when showing/competing. Apparently it's some sort of unspoken rule that if one pair breaks the back ups will too so therefore you must back up your back ups. I will stop enabling now.

Comment

Working...
                                        X