• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I find it amazing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find it amazing...

That the same magazine printed Denny Emerson's article on how to NOT jump ahead of your horse the week after they published roughly 500 pictures of riders jumping ahead of their horses.
    Maybe they should have been in the same issue...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

amazing isn't the word I'd use...

regretably, the "show hunters" of today have, with the exception of the hunter derbies, have no relation to riding a young or unproven horse over fences. You can bet that the people who start these horses over fences do not ride like that. It's ugly, it's not effective, it is however, in fashion, though I have no idea why. Well, actually, I do. The trainers drill the horses till they're almost like circus horses and all the riders have to do is lean and cling.

Everything I learned to ride on (back when all bridles had flat, unadorned leather nosebands and all saddles were hard as bricks) would have unceremoniously dumped me on my face had I approached a fence like that.

I'm glad they put Denny's article in there.

Note to GM, you should have never started the crest release, you should have just taken their reins away till they learned how to use them.

Comment

The trainers drill the horses till they're almost like circus horses and all the riders have to do is lean and cling.

Everything I learned to ride on (back when all bridles had flat, unadorned leather nosebands and all saddles were hard as bricks) would have unceremoniously dumped me on my face had I approached a fence like that.
      Lord have mercy, are we seriously getting into this again?
      ---
      They're small hearts.

Comment

I don't have a dog in this fight, at all; haven't jumped in over 10 years. But I am curious about one thing--since the hunters value the horse using it's front end & shoulder well, and overjumping--then why do they also favor a riding style that seems to be designed to flatten the horse's front end? Does it somehow enhance the horse's jump to be ridden this way? Is there any advantage to it? Or is it really just an unfortunate artifact?
        "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

FWIW, though, I'm pretty well grateful that my horse doesn't "unceremoniously dump me on my face" if I make a mistake. His job is to take care of me out there - since I'm pretty sure an important quality of a lady's amateur hunter is still MANNERS. My trainer has been on him exactly three times, though.

Why do we always forget hunters is judged on the horse, regardless of what the rider is doing? What wins is the horse who had the best course of that day. If that horse has a monkey on his back, it doesn't actually matter as long as the monkey paid all the appropriate USEF fees and is wearing an ASTM-approved helmet.
          ---
          They're small hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Trixie View Post
            Lord have mercy, are we seriously getting into this again?
            Do you think she would actually let this subject die off??? How many times can we hear, "Well back in my day..."
            Originally posted by JSwan
            Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
            Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Comment

It's funny that hunters in general look like they jump pretty safe and cute despite their riders overly generous crest released and ducking.

To be certain, nobody thinks it is a good idea to to a light half seat and giant crest release to a down hill log.

And I have had the privilege of riding with Denny and many really awesome eventers, but they are preparing their riders to do something much different than produce a flowing hunter ride. The whole idea there is to get some speed, then come back and repackage to jump.

Comment

Originally posted by Tap2Tango View Post
                Do you think she would actually let this subject die off??? How many times can we hear, "Well back in my day..."

Good riding is good riding. It has nothing to do with "back in my day."

If all those riders in the show pictures had to jump a downhill bounce they would all fall off unless they took Denny's advice. But they aren't jumping downhill bounces they are in a show ring. Two different things.

Denny is right though--again!

Comment

Originally posted by LookmaNohands View Post
                  Good riding is good riding. It has nothing to do with "back in my day."

If all those riders in the show pictures had to jump a downhill bounce they would all fall off unless they took Denny's advice. But they aren't jumping downhill bounces they are in a show ring. Two different things.

Denny is right though--again!
                  You must not be familiar with the OP...She is constantly bringing up topics about hunters then when people disagree with her she starts to go on about how hunters were back in the day. Gets old after awhile...
                  Originally posted by JSwan
                  Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
                  Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
                    regretably, the "show hunters" of today have, with the exception of the hunter derbies, have no relation to riding a young or unproven horse over fences. You can bet that the people who start these horses over fences do not ride like that..
                    Why would you assume that horses would be trained by riding them differently than they're meant to go when they're made up?

Which is why you wouldn't want to train a hunter to the override, and then have to retrain it to a ride acceptable for the showring.

Comment

train to the &quot;override&quot;

That says it all right there.

Because if you point a baby at a fence in a light half seat with your hands under your chest and your shoulders sticking out, when he stops, chips or spins you're coming off.

I don't care if it's "back in the day" or yesterday, it's wrong, it's ugly and it just lends more ammunition to the camp that thinks a great many riders on really nicely trained horses would have a hell of a bad day on one that was a beautiful mover and jumper, but hardly point and shoot.

I guess if laying on a horse's neck while he jumps around and only sitting up for lead changes is your cup of tea, then fine, but don't pretend it's anything other than that. Someone posted on one of these forums a video of a rider, bareback, doing a puissance fence. Her equitation was wonderful and effective.

Good eq should be easy over anything lower than 3'6" and I'd think it was essential over that. But the rails fall and the ground's flat and trigger has his 6 figure knees up to his eyeballs, and the judges never seem to hear all the rubs....

Don't get me started on the number of them wearing bar shoes on front.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
                        I don't care if it's "back in the day" or yesterday, it's wrong, it's ugly and it just lends more ammunition to the camp that thinks a great many riders on really nicely trained horses would have a hell of a bad day on one that was a beautiful mover and jumper, but hardly point and shoot.

I guess if laying on a horse's neck while he jumps around and only sitting up for lead changes is your cup of tea, then fine, but don't pretend it's anything other than that. .

Amen.

It got started by trainers trying to show how much their horse cracks it's back and jumps them loose. "See how great he jumps?!? I just can't stay with him!" Now, all the kids and amateurs copy like lemings . . .
                        The truth is always in the middle.

Comment

Because if you point a baby at a fence in a light half seat with your hands under your chest and your shoulders sticking out, when he stops, chips or spins you're coming off.
                          Um, a hunter round doesn't have anything to do with the ride that someone would give a greenie baby that stops and spins. The horses that are winning are not greenie babies that are stopping and spinning.

FWIW, though, it is entirely possible to ride a greenie in a light half seat successfully – a light half seat should not mean that you are on any level out of balance.

With that said, you don’t want a hunter who is reliant on being “overridden.” The goal here is for everything to be – and to look – as smooth and as soft as possible. They should be trained to be soft and responsive to light pressure. They should not stop dirty if the rider is imperfect (awful manners), and there’s no way in hell that would fly in the hunt field, either, where there are times when people aren't 100% balanced.

I've had the opportunity to sit on some very well known show hunters and I have found that they are generally light, responsive, and pleasant - a real joy to ride.
                          ---
                          They're small hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
                            Amen.

It got started by trainers trying to show how much their horse cracks it's back and jumps them loose. "See how great he jumps?!? I just can't stay with him!" Now, all the kids and amateurs copy like lemings . . .
                            Am I incorrect in thinking that a hunter is judged on its way of going and how it would be to ride in the hunt field? Why is cracking its back and jumping its rider loose desirable in the show ring?
                            Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

Originally posted by SillyHorse View Post
                              Am I incorrect in thinking that a hunter is judged on its way of going and how it would be to ride in the hunt field? Why is cracking its back and jumping its rider loose desirable in the show ring?
                              No, you are correct. That is the rule. But the reality is that the roundest, loftiest jump and the best movements is what wins. And that no longer has any bearing on the hunt field at all. And with all the lovely, big moving, big jumping horses these days, trainers have to do whatever they can to point out how much better their horse is.

The other thing that was brought up was the crest release. As George Morris has pointed out, that release, meant for beginners, has destroyed classic position. It's almost impossible to have a correct position over a bigger jump with a lofty horse and a crest release.
                              The truth is always in the middle.

Comment

Today we have show hunters & field hunters, and never the twain shall meet again.

Other than that, I don't know what the OP wants. Eliminate Denny's ariticle? Or perhaps exclude all 500 winners from having their picture in COTH? There is no solution when approached in this manner, and I believe that's why a few are quite over the pointless tirades.
                                EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

Comment

Originally posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post

The other thing that was brought up was the crest release. As George Morris has pointed out, that release, meant for beginners, has destroyed classic position. It's almost impossible to have a correct position over a bigger jump with a lofty horse and a crest release.
                                  There are a lot of top jumper riders who do the crest release (Mclain Ward, for one). I hardly think it is impossible to have a correct position with it.

The crest release and a bastardized version of it are two completely different things.

Carry on... anyone want popcorn?
                                  http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
                                  Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

I'm not saying the horses need to be overriden

I'm saying that there is absolutely no reason for a hunter rider over fences to "pose" all the way up their horse's neck with their arse sticking up and their hands jammed into the horse's neck, it doesn't make them "with" the horse, it makes them look like the worst kind of passenger. And if something does happen, and eventually, it will, they have no base of support to overcome it, unless God's watching, they're coming off, at best, a bruised dignity, at worst? Well, I've seen it, and it isn't pretty. In a light half seat, your shoulders should only be slightly ahead of your knees, and just like doing a jacknife off the diving board, you let the thrust of the motion close your hip angle, you do not throw your shoulders out into space or you'll end up face first. Water or dirt, same result. There is absolutely no argument FOR this position, it produces no more flowing round than when GM rides with perfect form over fences, it is simply laziness and greed on the part of trainers who get big$$ for made horses because they haven't taken the time to teach their students how to actually ride correctly.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Tap2Tango View Post
                                      You must not be familiar with the OP...She is constantly bringing up topics about hunters then when people disagree with her she starts to go on about how hunters were back in the day. Gets old after awhile...
                                      Did I say anything about "back in the day?" Or hunters, even?

I just commented on what I thought was an odd editorial choice. Kinda like running one issue with 500 pictures of Hummers and following up with a thoughtful article on fuel efficiency.

Sheesh. Am I not allowed any opinions?
                                      madeline
                                      * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Comment

Yeah you did actually. You mentioned how if back when you rode in less-than-cushy tack and you did that to your horse he would've dumped you on your face

Comment

Working...
                                        X