• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Full Length English Chaps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Length English Chaps

I have been riding in paddock boots and 1/2 chaps for the 5 years I've been riding. My trainer used to wear full chaps back in the day. About 3 years ago she switched to 1/2 chaps. Anyway, she was able to fit into her full chaps again and is riding in them. She thought I would improve my riding and sticking in the saddle if I got a pair.

Here is the rub: Custom chaps start around $450 here in LA. Since she and I are not nearly the same size, trying to ride in hers are not really an option.

I guess my question is:
    1) do you ride all the time in the full chaps
    2) are yours custom
    3) are yours leather or suede
    4) how did you know you would like full chaps if you didn't have a chance to try them on.
    5) if you don't have custom ones but off the rack ones, are you happy with the fit and feel customization isn't necessary

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by 3 is the limit; Mar. 22, 2011, 03:48 PM. Reason: another thought

No, I only use mine in the fall/winter when it is cold. They are W-A-R-M!

2) are yours custom
    Yes, from Journeymans.

Smooth Leather.

4) how did you know you would like full chaps if you didn't have a chance to try them on.
    I had ridden in off-the-rack ones prior to getting mine made.

Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Comment

95% of the time, the other 5% is to remind me what boots and breeches feel like for shows. I don't mind them in the summer - and I'm further south than most, because when I take them off its like stepping in the A/C, and I don't really notice it when I ride.

2) are yours custom

Yes, Tenney's

Leather (never get rough out! srsly!)

I never really joined the half chap craze, except way back when I was riding in "gaiters (half chap predecessor). All I can remember is when I went from those to full chaps, it was like the promised land. Of course this was before I had custom boots and good half chaps didn't exist... still, I like full chaps more!

5) if you don't have custom ones but off the rack ones, are you happy with the fit and feel customization isn't necessary

N/A - mine are custom, but if you have a good leather person who can take a nip and tuck here and there, that may be an option if the price is right.
      Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Oh, I love my full chaps. I have Journeyman chaps that I got 11 years ago, and they have held up beautifully. Smooth out and definately custom. I used to tailor chaps, and would make them up from old western show chaps. But I wanted to splurge!

You'll love them.
        The truth is always in the middle.

Comment

Forgot to mention: Half chaps came in with the expensive French saddles. Those expensive saddles are made of really soft leather, and riding in jeans and chaps literally wear them out. So everybody started riding in breeches and half chaps.

So consider the type of saddle you have. If the leather is really soft, don't go with chaps. I have a Pessoa GenX. It's not an expensive saddle, but It's lasted longer than the chaps and is wearing beautifully.

Look at your saddle before you decide to go with full chaps.

Comment

I used to ride in full chaps - mine were custom from Leather and Spice, who are no longer making them. If I could still fit into them (which I don't!), I'd still use them in the winter as they are warmer. But I really prefer half chaps now days. I didn't realize it until I made the switch and felt the difference, but the full chaps really put a lot of pressure on my knees and made them sore. Without the full chaps, my knees are happy. And I don't have that scary, what am I going to do w/o my full chaps feeling when I have to go to a show and wear breeches and boots!

Comment

• Original Poster

To TB1201, I have a CWD saddle and you make a good point about the leather wearing out sooner.

Also, horsepoor, never thought about the knee thing, so thanks for that.

My friend has some hobbyhorse (western) suede chaps that she'd be happy to loan me. They are a little big and have fringe (the horror LOL) on them. Do you think that could work if i had them fit to me and chopped off that horrible fringe?

Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
                Forgot to mention: Half chaps came in with the expensive French saddles. Those expensive saddles are made of really soft leather, and riding in jeans and chaps literally wear them out. So everybody started riding in breeches and half chaps.

So consider the type of saddle you have. If the leather is really soft, don't go with chaps. I have a Pessoa GenX. It's not an expensive saddle, but It's lasted longer than the chaps and is wearing beautifully.

Look at your saddle before you decide to go with full chaps.
                And consider how light you are in the seat. For instance I have a butet. I ride in jeans and full chaps. The butet is a 1998 model and my only saddle. I won't say I ride a lot, but I have two horses and the only one that trains them is me, so I probably ride a decent amount for an ammy with a day job.

Last year I replaced the seat in the butet, not so much because it needed it, but I had the bucks, it was a good time to send off the saddle and the panels needed replacing, and the seat probably would have needed it in a year or two. Or not. But the timing was good.

So there are no guarantees, even with a french saddle. But if you sit deep in the tack a lot, YMMV. But that may not have much to do with the chaps.

Do you think that could work if i had them fit to me and chopped off that horrible fringe?
                Oh... the horrors. Fringe is IN, baby. Some of us may have paid damned good money for extra long/fine DOUBLE fringe with the under layer in metallic bronze.

Or as we say, riding TBs, wearing chaps and using a navajo pad: Rockin the Retro
                Attached Files
                Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

My full chaps had fringe too, and I have fringe on my half chaps. The dressage folks where I have one of my horses kind of look at me in awe or horror (not sure which), but perfectly normal at the hunter barn!

Only thing with the western chaps, they usually aren't fitted enough to work for english riding -- they can bunch up or twist too much. But you could try them and see how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by DMK View Post
                    Some of us may have paid damned good money for extra long/fine DOUBLE fringe with the under layer in metallic bronze.
                    Just looked at the photo and love the fringe on these! My full chaps had a similar double fringe -- black and chestnut brown to match the chaps, then little pieces of white every so often for highlight. But I love the metallic...wonder if I could add some to my half chaps...hmmm...

Comment

Oh, if I could fit into my custom, fringe full chaps..and be able to bend my legs..I would sooo wear them..bought by my mom back in the day when they were the "in" thing, custom colors, navy and gray mixed fringe, initials on the back and all (though my last initial has since changed due to marriage)..they are hanging on my shelf right now and so stiff they could probably walk on their own..
                      LOVED riding in them though!!

Comment

Hoping this link works, I haven't used the album in a long while...

I have these, I don't wear them often and haven't worn them in at least a year. I didn't like the way the waist strap rode up my back when jumping, which you can see in the picture. Otherwise, great for breaking a cold wind!

As for the questions: no I don't, they are suede, and totally not custom. I think they are a medium? Which means they are a little too long, cover any spurs I might be wearing, and barely zip over my calves and thighs.
                        COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

1) No, I don't ride all the time in my full chaps. When I wear jeans or yoga pants, I wear the fulls. Even in 95 degree weather with 90% humidity. They are great for trails!

2) Mine aren't custom, rather Stateline Tack sale. I just found out one of our boarders could make me a custom pair that might not cost quite so much, so that may have to be my birthday present to myself

3) Black suede western chaps with fringe and silver conchos. Remember, Stateline sale. A good sale. They're a little goofy looking (see pic in sig line).

4) I didn't know I'd like full chaps. I figured it'd help save the inner leg seams on my favorite running tights--I don't always wear breeches to the barn.

5) The fit is OK, but finding anything to fit my legs properly is a challenge (big thighs and calves, smallish ankles and knees). I know a few normally shaped people who are quite happy with the English version of my chaps.
                          I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

1. I haven't ridden in mine in a long time -- since I became saddle-poor (read: got my CWD), I've only ridden in breeches and paddocks/half-chaps or tall boots, but before that I rode in them a lot, especially in the winter.

2. Mine came from Dover Saddlery; they're marked with the Dover stamp, so I'm not sure who actually made them.

3. They're very pretty -- a dark saddle tan suede with smooth saddle tan belt, brass fittings, and cream piping. (If I ever bought another pair, though, I'd be going in for some fringe, baby! What fun!)

4. I love the security you get from full chaps (although there really is an adjustment period when you go from those to breeches and boots for a show, yikes). They're wonderfully warm -- I miss being able to ride in them in the winter, but the thought of wearing out the saddle makes me even hotter under the collar. They do tend to stretch after years of wear, requiring alterations to keep them bunching up under your legs.

5. I bought mine as a reward after losing 22 lb. They were the tiniest bit snug when they came, but, years later, they really need those alterations I was talking about.

Comment

I mostly ride in jeans and full chaps. Did pick up a pair of used Ariat half chaps and ride in those for lessons. I don't have a problem switching between full chaps and breeches though.
                              2) are yours custom
                              Mine are semi-custom from Barnstable through SmartPak. I picked the colors and options (black smooth leather, light pink trim, fringe, monogrammed inset on back belt) as well as a additional size choices.
                              Smooth leather. My first pair of full chaps were rough out stock chaps which turned smooth over time.
                              I got a cheaper off the rack option first and finally replaced them with the semi-customs. I love the extra stick that I can get from them, but didn't know anything about them before I just tried it.
                              I am happy with the way my chaps fit. As I mentioned, the semi-custom option is a good way to go if you really don't want / can't afford to shell out $$$ for fully custom. Great option in my opinion!
                              "Beware the hobby that eats."
                              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by DMK View Post
                                Or as we say, riding TBs, wearing chaps and using a navajo pad: Rockin the Retro
                                LOL. Oh, do I remember that! (And I love the picture - cute horse!)

And yes, my chaps have fringe, and I WANTED it!

Comment

Originally posted by horsepoor View Post
                                  My full chaps had fringe too, and I have fringe on my half chaps. The dressage folks where I have one of my horses kind of look at me in awe or horror (not sure which), but perfectly normal at the hunter barn!

Only thing with the western chaps, they usually aren't fitted enough to work for english riding -- they can bunch up or twist too much. But you could try them and see how it works.

Oh, I don't know, I'm odd man out at both barns I ride at. Everybody else rides in breeches and half chaps or tall boots. Although, I have to say, I still get lots of compliments on them.

I used to tailor old western chaps to english. It's a matter of taking off the trim, taking them in, then replacing the trim. I did it alot in the 80s and 90s. You could find great western chaps for a song at the tack sales. I did a couple of pairs for my trainer, and you couldn't tell the difference from custom.

Comment

No- I only use mine in the winter/fall/cold weather or when I think extra glue might help which is rare as my horse is lazy-mc-pokeypants.
                                    2) are yours custom- yes, but I need them taken in- hooray for weight loss!
                                    3) are yours leather or suede- smooth leather
                                    4) how did you know you would like full chaps if you didn't have a chance to try them on.- it was what we wore back in the olden days of TB's, appendixes, helmets with elastic chin straps....
                                    5) if you don't have custom ones but off the rack ones, are you happy with the fit and feel customization isn't necessary- I had ill fitting chaps and they sucked. Chaps need to fit well or are uncomfortable.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you COTHers! Your advice has been so helpful.

My area is really blessed that we have a master leather person right here. Guess orders for his work come in from all over the world! I'm going to get fitted for custom leather chaps on Saturday! I can't believe my husband is willing to spend more $$$ on this wacky habit of mine.

Comment

I have a pair of salmon colored chaps with fringe (NO they are NOT red; they are s-a-l-m-o-n!)

Before this pair my chaps were the most gorgeous teal green with anthracite trim and snakeskin piping. (Leather and Lace -- love them.)

So, when ordering, keep in mind that chaps do not have to be tan. It is OK to express yourself.

PS: I have had chaps taken in and let out more often than I can count; a chaps maker can put in gussets to accommodate unfortunate weight increases, so not to worry if you eat a little too much at Christmas. Most people who make chaps will include one refitting about 4 - 6 months after purchase, since all chaps stretch.

PPS: The first time you put on your new chaps, it should take 2 people and a spray bottle of water to get you into them. If they zip right up the first time, they are too big.
                                        "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

Working...
                                        X