• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Trailering to Horse Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailering to Horse Show

Does anyone know how much I should charge per mile for shipping a horse to a horse show? We live in PA and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what the average fee would be. Thanks

I think the average is 80 cents a mile..

Comment

Just remember that if you start charging for trailering you are considered to be a commercial shipper and your liability increases.

I would check with your insurance agent before accepting money to see if you would be adversely impacted if there were an accident or if the horse you are trailering got injured.
      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

around here cheap is $1.00 per mile. with gas prices going up (and diesel) I imagine hauling will be going up to...

Comment

Stella are you a trainer? Most trainers in my area - Texas - charge .50 per mile but not less than $50 round-trip.

Comment

Just remember, if you are not a licensed commercial hauler, a professional trainer or owner of a farm, you can be nailed both criminally and civilly if anything happens to the horse. I learned the hard way but was lucky that the authorities and others involved were more understanding.

Comment

I have read that if you trailer other people's horses frequently you should get care/custody/control insurance. Does anyone do that?
              Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
              EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

In CA my hauler gets $2.00/mile with a $100 minimum fee.

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                  Just remember, if you are not a licensed commercial hauler, a professional trainer or owner of a farm, you can be nailed both criminally and civilly if anything happens to the horse. I learned the hard way but was lucky that the authorities and others involved were more understanding.
                  One other thing to remember. If you are hauling a truck/trailer combo that is over 26,000 lbs for NON-PERSONAL use you need to have the appropriate licensing (class A, class B etc). Most one ton trucks and four horse head to head and larger combos are over the 26k limit. I'd hate to see you get bagged as the consequences aren't fun. And as everyone else said, watch out for liability and the criminal/civil aspect as well. We have had to post on all our trailers (horse, car etc.) that we are "Private. Not for Hire". If you are hauling privately, they do waive the licensing, but commercial is a completely different story.
                  Originally posted by barka.lounger
                  bar.ka here
                  h/j riders are used to bending over, every.time they pay their.show bills at the office. event.ers not so mu.ch.

Comment

We had a poster on here several years ago with this screen name? That one was a (competent) young trainer and would know most of this so am guessing this is a new poster??? Maybe who bought that mare with the same name?

Probably $1 a mile with a minimum of $100 or a $50 hook up fee plus $1 a mile or something like that. May be more if you are closer to Philly and a little less around Pittsburg or somewhere in the more rural central part of the state.

And, yeah, you need insurance to charge for it. And should have insurance for "guest horses" if you do it for free or go cash under the table. Because you ARE paying for any injury or illness while on your trailer and under your control.
                    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

What is the concensus on the insurance?

What kind of insurance to get? Basically, I have been asked to do this enough that I am considering making it a business.

Looks like I need to look into a commercial license.... I have a 2500 GMC and a extra tall 2 horse gooseneck, with a double size dressing room.
                      FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Comment

Originally posted by naters View Post
                        What is the concensus on the insurance?

What kind of insurance to get? Basically, I have been asked to do this enough that I am considering making it a business.

Looks like I need to look into a commercial license.... I have a 2500 GMC and a extra tall 2 horse gooseneck, with a double size dressing room.
                        You might not have to... I know the Kingston 4-horse head to head with a dressing room comes in at under 15k and if you're towing with a one ton truck (say a F-350) you'll be looking at 26,000 lbs. A 3/4 ton (i.e. a 2500) probably shouldn't push the limits. The 2008 and up F-350's are WAY overweighed. I have a F-250 that they rate at 10,000 lbs.

Just double check. Do you have commercial plates on your vehicle? Most of the time you won't get much flack from DOT or cops. If you're really working as a heavy commercial hauler I'd be cautious. I just throw it out there to keep everyone informed! You could look into your class B, which is a lot easier than a class A. Read your personal state laws. I know plenty of people (I'd say 90%) who tow over 26k and don't have their commercial license.

Just an FYI for everyone.
                        Originally posted by barka.lounger
                        bar.ka here
                        h/j riders are used to bending over, every.time they pay their.show bills at the office. event.ers not so mu.ch.

Comment

Going rate we pay for race n returns is $2.50 mile for a two horse trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                            What makes you a professional trainer for the purposes of this instance?

Do you hand them the last check you earned for pro-rides and riding lessons and say, "Here, look. I'm a pro." (ie, pro by USEF rules somehow counts for state liability law?)

Or do you have to do something additional to be seen as a pro in the eyes of the state?

And what do you mean by "licensed commercial hauler"? Is there some special driver's license you need to go get approved for this or just an extra insurance policy?
                            The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                            Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                            Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                            The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                              And what do you mean by "licensed commercial hauler"? Is there some special driver's license you need to go get approved for this or just an extra insurance policy?

Ditto this question, and also what extra insurance policy?
                              FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                                What makes you a professional trainer for the purposes of this instance?

Do you hand them the last check you earned for pro-rides and riding lessons and say, "Here, look. I'm a pro." (ie, pro by USEF rules somehow counts for state liability law?)

Or do you have to do something additional to be seen as a pro in the eyes of the state?

A licensed commercial hauler is one registered with the state as a commercial transportation company (DOT Registered). You need to carry commercial insurance, pay full road taxes, keep logs, etc... You will be issued a transport license for the state you operate. Notice the sides of semis or hot shots where they have a series of stickers or a DOT number is painted.

Even if you haul under 26K pounds you are STILL COMMERCIAL (called hot shots) and need a DOT registration. Yes, at 26,001 pounds you need a CDL.

As for a horse professional, your tax records are sufficient. If your income does not come from agriculture, hauling animals is not part of the business.

Now if you are hauling a friend's horse, even if it for the barn, you are only legally allowed to split the gas. You can not charge a loading fee, insurance, wear and tear on the vehicle etc. even if the trainer does. The moment a loading fee or other is charged you enter the commercial realm.

While many get away with this, I have been in enough incidents around the US to learn my lesson. I was hauling about 40,000 miles a year (charging 50 cents a mile back then in my rig and others) outside my regular job and so sadly I had a few "experiences" (jackknifed on ice in NE, T-boned in CO, pulled over for livestock inspection in TX...).

Now, I only haul for partial gas and only if I am going that way anyway, even if it is 1,000 miles. I also cary a very large umbrella liability policy (over $1mil) just in case. I just can't take the financial risk if a horse that is not mine gets injured while I haul.
                                Last edited by RAyers; Mar. 23, 2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SanJacMonument View Post
                                  charge .50 per mile but not less than $50 round-trip.
                                  This doesn't even meet the 2011 personal vehicle mileage reimbursement rate (which is currently .51 cents a mile) that's how much an employer will reimburse an employee for using their personal vehicle for company purposes.
                                  That means that $1.02 per mile you are barely covering expenses, and not paying yourself for time.
                                  www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                                  chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I spoke with my insurance company after purchasing my trailer. They said that I was allowed to collect gas money, only. I have a 1mil policy as well...

My reimbursement rate is .56/mile, for my car, .50/mile with a horse in tow is very low!

Comment

Now I am really confused.

How is it that "horse professionals" that charge clients to haul to shows/etc don't have to register with DOT then?

Because pretty much anyone around here can hang a shingle and call themselves a horse professional.... How does that exempt them from DOT registration, and extra commercial insurance?

Comment

Most of what we are talking about does not kick in unless you are caught, have an accident etc.

A horse professional is one who derives their primary income from horses or agriculture and as such hauling horses/livestock is part of the business. So a rancher, barn owner, breeder, trainer, vet, and their employees etc. all are part of the industry. This is all based on tax records.

If you ONLY haul horses, you are a commercial transporter and as such need to be licensed. If you do not derive your primary income from horses/agriculture, you can not charge more than split costs to haul horses. Like I said, most folks never get caught. However, as goodmorning alluded to, if you get in an accident and it is divulged you charged a "commercial" or "loading" fee, then your insurance can refuse to cover you, DOT can fine you, the horse owners etc. can sue for the liability, the IRS can make a claim against any income and no insurance will cover it.

If you are hauling as an outsider (e.g. for another person in the barn, to help your trainer, whatever) you can not take the mileage reimbursement as again, hauling is not part of you business activities.

Comment

Working...
                                        X