• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Any info on Windy Isles Farm & Andrea Hendricks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on Windy Isles Farm & Andrea Hendricks?

I have posted a couple of threads looking for a trainer in my area. I live in Frankfort, IL and I did try out a trainer near me and she is more for beginners. I have contacted a couple of places in INDIANA, very nice people, but the drive---not so much. I stumbled across a website for Windy Isles Farm and their trainer Andrea Hendricks. I was hoping to get some feedback. I don't want to be bouncing my horse from barn to barn. Please let me know. Thanks for your help!
  • Original Poster

I just read a thread on another trainer. I see that people can be really mean. I am not looking for someone to bash another trainer with my questions. I am hoping that we are all professionals and great horse people. I appreciate all the pm's I have received.

Comment

I would not recommend her. She is unprofessional and has a bad reputation. There is a lot of drama at that farm.

Comment

Agreed. Rider, Vet, barn owner or anyone in the horse industry - beware, she is two-faced & has left many people unpaid for their services. Poor behavior on her part & poor communication.
        Last edited by LFgirl; Apr. 20, 2011, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Andrea Hendricks and Windy Isles Farm

I have been in and around the horse business for over 30 years. If anyone can say there isn't drama at any barn/business that is filled with young girls...they'd have to be not telling the truth. However, I have known Andrea a long time and have recently started riding with her at Windy Isles farm. I have found the owners of the farm and Andrea to be nothing but honest, helpful and fair. Communication is honest and open and we all work really hard to keep the riding and the horses the focus. I can also say, after a difficult time with the care of our horse, at another farm in the area, our horses have been well cared for and have not had one health or injury related issue since we moved there.

Comment

I agree that there will always be drama with the young girls at farms. However, Andrea has caused most of the drama at Windy Isles over the past few months.

[edit]

I am not a trainer and get nothing out of writing this, but people need to know the truth. I have just been around Windy Isles for a few years now and decided to stop going there because of what is happening there.
            Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 23, 2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I kept my horse here for a short time as in 5 days. I went out everyday and my horse had no water every single time and the last day I saw him being brought in from turnout tied to the back of a 4 wheeler. I felt extremely unwanted, the trainer was short and rude the 3times I talked to her. The owner never was around and there was one groom that pretended to not speak english when I aasked about my horse. I love riding and showing and love to have fun while doing it, I'm a college student and its way to expensive to not have fun. I watched a lesson and the little girl got dumped 2 times while the trainer was allowing her to jump around a 3 ft course when she was at a short stirrup le vel at best. I was not around long enough to experience any drama it was just a very click filled unsafe barn. Andrea tries to make it seem like they show at a competitive level when really she or her barn has no rep at the A shows, which is fine but its irritating to be told one thing when its not true. They do local shows at best some down south but I couldn't find it in my heart to leave my horse somewhere I can't trust and paying so much to feel like an outsider was also not something I wanted to do. Just speaking from my experience good luck finding a barn! Hope it works out!
              Weekends are for horse shows
              and Fridays are for lessons

Comment

Originally posted by VivaLasVegas View Post
                ...no water every single time and the last day I saw him being brought in from turnout tied to the back of a 4 wheeler. I felt extremely unwanted...The owner never was around... I watched a lesson and the little girl got dumped 2 times while the trainer was allowing her to jump around a 3 ft course when she was at a short stirrup le vel at best. I was not around long enough to experience any drama it was just a very click filled unsafe barn. Andrea tries to make it seem like they show at a competitive level when really she or her barn has no rep at the A shows, which is fine but its irritating to be told one thing when its not true. They do local shows at best some down south but I couldn't find it in my heart to leave my horse somewhere I can't trust and paying so much to feel like an outsider was also not something I wanted to do. Just speaking from my experience good luck finding a barn! Hope it works out!
                I have known Andrea for YEARS. I board and ride with her currently and am very happy. I can take a break from the barn for a couple of weeks and my horses are fine.
                As far as showing she absolutely goes to shows beyond the local level. She and her show team do the NIHJA shows as well as HITS Ocala every winter. I'd say HITS goes just a little beyond the local level, wouldn't you? So, please, person who boarded there for FIVE days, know what you are talking about before speaking.
                As far as lessoning goes, she's very patient and would never push a short stirrup kid to do 3 ft if they weren't ready. Perhaps if you had been around longer than 5 days, you'd know everyone's background, etc.
                Catherine, the owner, is around quite a bit, especially on the weekends. Again, 5 days does not give you an idea of normally activity in the barn.
                There's no "cliques". It's a friendly atmosphere, and the care is great. (I've never seen them go without water.). I've been riding, showing, etc for 30 years now, so I can judge a place pretty accurately.

OP - check it out for yourself. I'm very happy with the barn and Andrea.

Comment

There are cliques at every barn. Some worse than others, but to say that there are no cliques @ Windy Isles just shows that you, pmkn, are in the Andrea clique.

Catherine is a nice lady who lost her husband to cancer and does her best to keep up w/ something she said herself that she doesn't really know what to do with (Windy Isles). She has to keep going & take care of their children. That's where Andrea came in. Andrea is taking advantage of Catheine's unsuredness & Windy Isles as some sort of open stage for the Andrea Hendricks show & you & G's Mom are just something really silly to listen to here w/ all your 30 year veteran hoopla = srsly.?.

I, very frankly, would not want my daughter around her at all. The barn, however, is still 95% full of good people & Catherine ,the owner, tries. Windy Isles just needs to get rid of Andrea - she is the black cloud ruining what was once upon a time good. : )
                  Last edited by LFgirl; Apr. 25, 2011, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Please PM and avoid posting negative remarks.

Comment

Originally posted by pmkn View Post
                      I have known Andrea for YEARS. I board and ride with her currently and am very happy. I can take a break from the barn for a couple of weeks and my horses are fine.
                      As far as showing she absolutely goes to shows beyond the local level. She and her show team do the NIHJA shows as well as HITS Ocala every winter. I'd say HITS goes just a little beyond the local level, wouldn't you? So, please, person who boarded there for FIVE days, know what you are talking about before speaking.
                      As far as lessoning goes, she's very patient and would never push a short stirrup kid to do 3 ft if they weren't ready. Perhaps if you had been around longer than 5 days, you'd know everyone's background, etc.
                      Catherine, the owner, is around quite a bit, especially on the weekends. Again, 5 days does not give you an idea of normally activity in the barn.
                      There's no "cliques". It's a friendly atmosphere, and the care is great. (I've never seen them go without water.). I've been riding, showing, etc for 30 years now, so I can judge a place pretty accurately.

OP - check it out for yourself. I'm very happy with the barn and Andrea.
                      I have no dog in this fight...but if I had gone out there five days in a row with my horse having no water each time, I would bounce too. There is no excuse. FIVE days is enough sometimes to see true colors of how a barn is ran. And tied to the back of a four wheeler...
                      Grassfield Sport Horses, LLC

Follow us on facebook!!!

Comment

We edited/removed some personal commentary and accusations to comply with our posting policies.

It's fine to post general negative or postive reviews or experiences with a farm or trainer, but please do so within the confines of our policies.

If someone has further information they'd like to share, please do so via the private message function.

Thanks,
                        Mod 1

Comment

WOW am I glad I read the posting on this trainer and farm. I was considering it as a possible place for me to board and train. Is this is all true or blown up by someone who doesn't like the trainer or the farm owner.

Comment

Jumpforver, I don't know the trainer personally, never had a falling out with her. I just know when I moved to the barn I was totally unwelcome by the riders AND the trainer. I felt like I was back in middle school again. It was just not necessary. I know nothing about her training level or her ability to ride, just that it did not show through her riders that I personally saw.
                            Weekends are for horse shows
                            and Fridays are for lessons

Comment

Thanks Viva...I certainly would not want to move to a place where that kind of behavior is present. I'm a very serious rider with two amazing horses that I want to show. This type of atmosphere is certainly not something I want to expose myself or my horses to!

Comment

Originally posted by jumpforever456 View Post
                                WOW am I glad I read the posting on this trainer and farm. I was considering it as a possible place for me to board and train. Is this is all true or blown up by someone who doesn't like the trainer or the farm owner.
                                It is UNTRUE. Andrea is not some terrible person, and her riders are good. They held their own at HITS this past winter, with several of the kids pinning in large classes.
                                My personal feeling is someone has a vendetta out for her. If you would like factual information, feel free to PM me. As a boarder and client, I can give you first hand feedback.

Comment

It's always so hard to find out the real situation with any barn. I always figure it's best to go visit the barn several times and maybe get to know some of the boarders/riders and the owner and trainer. Then you can see for yourself if the barn is a good fit for you and your horses. Best of luck and hope you find a place you really enjoy!
                                  www.springwillowsfarm.com

Comment

Yes, I always say don't ask the trainer's clients....ask the people who board at the same facility that don't ride with the trainer. You will always get inflated reviews from the clients! Ask the people who see how they train but don't ride with them. I find it extremely telling how trainers treat people that don't ride with them, and find it even more telling how they treat other trainers in the same facility!!! After collecting all the data, the mojority of opinions would help in ruling my decision. Who wants to be at a barn when no one gets along with the trainer! NOT ME!

Comment

I was a boarder there for some time and left due to many of the things reported in these posts. I will not bash anyone, nor will I tell half truths. However the record needs to be set straight on a few things. Mainly if you dare ride another dicipline like I do, FORGET boarding there. Jumps are kept up in the small indoor arena at all times, and cannot be moved. It is made very clear from the word go that Andrea calls the shots at the barn, and if you don't jump and you are not taking lessons with her, you are treated like a second class citizen, there is no consideration to other riders and boarders at all. I watched first hand children being given their lesson by other students while Ms. Hendricks was doing Lord only knows what, Horses that were dead lame being jumped and if they would not jump being encouraged to do so with a wollup from a crop. I left that barn for many reasons. However the care by the workers was excellent, always a lot of hay and I never saw my horses with no water at all, and if the buckets were drained, it was a rare occurance. I was paying the same price as the hunter jumpers but was not entitled to use the facilities as they are. I will not board and put myself or my horses where poor morals, mistreatment of other hrses and poor horsemanship runs rampent. It is a mystery to me what hold this woman has on the barn owners for them to allow such poor behaviour from someone who is supposed to be representing them and their barn. All that I have stated is truth, and those who think it is not are sadly mistaken. There are good parts to the farm, turnouts are nice, hay is good, and the stalls are clean, and your horse is treated well, however being made to feel uncomfortable because you would like to ride and not have 5 people jumping at the same time while you try to ride is not acceptable at anytime, and should not be accepted. Of course I cannot make decisions for any of you, and this may be an enviroment that will work for you, for me and my family this was not what I wanted to be exposed to nor did I want to expose these things to children.

Comment

I'm not taking sides on this, but since the barn is teaching lessons for hunter/jumper then I can understand why they don't want the jumps moved around. It does take time and accurate measurements to set up lines properly. I know it would be huge time/work issue if people had to move all the jumps out and then put them back an hour later for an afternoon lesson. If that makes sense. Is there no other way to ride in the indoor without needing to move the jumps? Just asking. Maybe just move the poles and not the standards?

Added: I boarded my horses for years and sometimes would run across barns that would make people feel a bit alienated and not included. Barns shouldn't be that way- since we all ride to have fun anyway regardless of what discipline we choose but sometimes they are. I still think that the best bet is to go spend some time at a prospective barn and get to know the people there. This way you can know for yourself if it will be a great place for you or not.
                                        Last edited by drewsbadboy; Apr. 24, 2011, 02:50 PM.
                                        www.springwillowsfarm.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X