• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

When is it acceptable for non-riders to jog a horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When is it acceptable for non-riders to jog a horse?

    I have a a somewhat humorous question...let me just say for starters that I realize I'm incredibly lucky to be in this situation. But could use a little COTH feedback here.

    I have the best DH/Horse show husband in the world - he rarely misses a show, has taken charge of trailer maintenance, helps me ringside and has learned what he's watching to such a degree that he can identify things like a lead swap in front of a fence when he sees it. He uses his mad military skills to spit-polish my boots, he volunteers to drag the rings for my trainer when the shows are at his place and he has learned how to properly handle my horse and considers himself part of our 'team'. I do too, for that matter.

    At a show about a month ago, he threw me for a loop a little...we recently moved up into a division that will require us to jog the pinnings, and we were called for the jog order. My DH asked "Could I jog him?" He has seen others at shows (grooms, mostly!) jog horses instead of the rider and reminds me of this. I shrugged, tied my number around my gelding's neck, and in they went. I was thinking it was really sweet and he looked excited to do it...but we also got a couple of odd looks. (For the record, my horse is an angel on the ground, DH is perfectly capable of handling him even when he's feeling ornery and DH is plenty smart enough to stay properly spaced while doing this...I had no concerns about the actual execution here, just the appearance.)

    I figured this was a one-time thing, because it was our first pinning at a rated show where we had to jog and we were both excited. But at our show last weekend, he asked me if he could do it again!

    SO....my question is....is it appropriate to let him do this? I would never ask him do it (part of me is already self-conscious about looking like some sort of diva for not doing it myself!) But part of me wants to let him do it any time he wants if it makes him feel more like part of 'the team'. I don't really know what the protocols here....are there protocols?? Are there reasons I should discourage this idea he has?
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

  • #2
    Sure it's appropriate. As you mention, many times the jogger is the groom. It's nice if the jogger is appropriately attired (as in not dressed sloppily, which presumably you discourage in your husband in general ) and important that they at least have appropriate footware for safety. Oh, and make him wear or carry the number. Around the neck is tacky and unsafe. You should probably make sure he's aware to listen to instructions in case of a re-jog, and also, if you win, make sure he knows where to go when there's no one to follow.

    Comment


    • #3
      I also think that it's appropriate. I also, think that it's really sweet.

      You guys can be the ones whos husband always jogs. You could be known for it.

      Have fun and enjoy your great husband. I have one too bit mine bucks my stalls.

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree, Let him enjoy himself and really BE part of the team!! Oh and LUCKY YOU!!!! A DH like that is worth is weight in gold!

        Comment


        • #5
          Awww...what a sweet DH! I think it's great that he gets to participate at shows.



          My DH plays poker, and after a game, will come home and tell the dogs "We've got money for dog treats!!" Silly, but it makes me fall in love with him all over again.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pm59 View Post
            I agree, Let him enjoy himself and really BE part of the team!! Oh and LUCKY YOU!!!! A DH like that is worth is weight in gold!
            Ditto this. As long as he's safe and having a great time, let him.

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree with the others- it sounds sweet and perfectly acceptable for your husband to be the proud jogger.

              Originally posted by CBoylen View Post
              Oh, and make him wear or carry the number. Around the neck is tacky and unsafe.
              Ok, I'm scratching my head a little trying to imagine a scenario where the number around the neck could be a safety issue in the jog, as long as it stays on.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Swale01 View Post
                I have a a somewhat humorous question...let me just say for starters that I realize I'm incredibly lucky to be in this situation. But could use a little COTH feedback here.

                I have the best DH/Horse show husband in the world - he rarely misses a show, has taken charge of trailer maintenance, helps me ringside and has learned what he's watching to such a degree that he can identify things like a lead swap in front of a fence when he sees it. He uses his mad military skills to spit-polish my boots, he volunteers to drag the rings for my trainer when the shows are at his place and he has learned how to properly handle my horse and considers himself part of our 'team'. I do too, for that matter.

                At a show about a month ago, he threw me for a loop a little...we recently moved up into a division that will require us to jog the pinnings, and we were called for the jog order. My DH asked "Could I jog him?" He has seen others at shows (grooms, mostly!) jog horses instead of the rider and reminds me of this. I shrugged, tied my number around my gelding's neck, and in they went. I was thinking it was really sweet and he looked excited to do it...but we also got a couple of odd looks. (For the record, my horse is an angel on the ground, DH is perfectly capable of handling him even when he's feeling ornery and DH is plenty smart enough to stay properly spaced while doing this...I had no concerns about the actual execution here, just the appearance.)

                I figured this was a one-time thing, because it was our first pinning at a rated show where we had to jog and we were both excited. But at our show last weekend, he asked me if he could do it again!

                SO....my question is....is it appropriate to let him do this? I would never ask him do it (part of me is already self-conscious about looking like some sort of diva for not doing it myself!) But part of me wants to let him do it any time he wants if it makes him feel more like part of 'the team'. I don't really know what the protocols here....are there protocols?? Are there reasons I should discourage this idea he has?
                1. Keep your hubby around! He sounds like a joy to have at horse shows!

                2. I think this is appropriate, it's awesome he wants to jog your horse to get his ribbons! Let him have fun! You will probably have cute candids from photographers

                Comment


                • #9
                  OMG! I am so jealous I can hardly stand it. LET HIM JOG! Maybe one of the COTH reporters will pick up on this thread and do a sidebar! How cool. My daughter is 3 1/2 and just did her second leadline. I am hoping my DH will FINALLY want to participate. He has already acknowledged that he is going to be writing a check for a pony in the very near future.

                  Get him a fun little "trademark" item to wear, sort of flower in the lapel style.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My husband was the one in charge of the FEI jogging for
                    my horse. Since you had to jog in a snaffle and Fabian was
                    about 20 hands with all the commotion, I gratefully handed
                    over the duty to him. He got to dress up and wasn't
                    required to ride. I got to braid and watch.
                    He actually won 'best dressed handler' and a gift certificate
                    to a local tack store at one show.
                    www.settlementfarm.us

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MHM View Post
                      I agree with the others- it sounds sweet and perfectly acceptable for your husband to be the proud jogger.



                      Ok, I'm scratching my head a little trying to imagine a scenario where the number around the neck could be a safety issue in the jog, as long as it stays on.


                      LOL i was thinking the same about the "safety" thing… lol…
                      Friend of bar.ka

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Love that. Not sure my husband could have run fast enough to keep up with my amateur horse when he was my amateur horse. Good for him!
                        Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
                        www.saradanielhaynes.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think its really cool!

                          While not applicable to you, in classes restricted to juniors, a junior must jog
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/Kikki500

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            aww that is so cute!

                            Totally acceptable in my opinion!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Girl, I think you have a keeper. Let him do it

                              and one question: does he have any brothers who are single?

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                My hubby is a professional handler so when my horse has to go in the ring to jog he is always happy to do that for me. I do not run that well in riding boots and certainly do not have the stride to keep up with my horse when properly presented at the trot. The only problem we always have is the gate person who always want to rush him in......he would rather take that few extra seconds before entering to allow the horse ahead to move out of the way and then WOW my mare just powers into the most beautiful hunter trot way of going. The mare is then properly stood up for the final line-up just as she would be in a line class. More then once the judges have approached hubby and thanked him for presenting the horse is such a professional way...and more then once we have been moved up the line I believe because of that jog.

                                I realize that the grooms are very, very tired but do not understand why some of these lovely top hunters are presented in the jog with handlers that are unkempt, running shoes, hair a mess and then the horse is barely asked to jog at all; often seen lagging behind the handler with the gate person clicking them on. Terrible presentation! ANY horse can be taught how to trot in hand properly.

                                Kudo's to the OP and her husband. You guys will have a lot of fun at the horse shows.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by cherham View Post
                                  My hubby is a professional handler so when my horse has to go in the ring to jog he is always happy to do that for me. I do not run that well in riding boots and certainly do not have the stride to keep up with my horse when properly presented at the trot. The only problem we always have is the gate person who always want to rush him in......he would rather take that few extra seconds before entering to allow the horse ahead to move out of the way and then WOW my mare just powers into the most beautiful hunter trot way of going. The mare is then properly stood up for the final line-up just as she would be in a line class. More then once the judges have approached hubby and thanked him for presenting the horse is such a professional way...and more then once we have been moved up the line I believe because of that jog.

                                  I realize that the grooms are very, very tired but do not understand why some of these lovely top hunters are presented in the jog with handlers that are unkempt, running shoes, hair a mess and then the horse is barely asked to jog at all; often seen lagging behind the handler with the gate person clicking them on. Terrible presentation! ANY horse can be taught how to trot in hand properly.

                                  Kudo's to the OP and her husband. You guys will have a lot of fun at the horse shows.
                                  cherham, not sure what kind of classes you are riding in, but in a hunter class you can not move up because of the jog. The jog is to test for soundness. The only way to move up would be if one of the horses ahead of you was not sound.

                                  Again I don't know what kind of classes you are riding in, but in Canada the person who jogs the horse must be eligible for the class. So if it is amateur class, you can not get someone who is not an amateur to jog for you.
                                  www.OneJumpAhead.ca

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    He's a keeper

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Not only perfectly acceptable, but totally awesome! Lucky you, to have a DH that is so involved!
                                      Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
                                      www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

                                      Comment

                                      • Original Poster

                                        #20
                                        Whew - thank you guys for the responses - I will definitely let him jog any time he wants to after this!

                                        I definitely don't take the DH for granted - I'm grateful and amazed that he has participated the way he has. I have spent the last two years waiting for him to wake up one day and say "I think I'm going to skip the show today..." but he's still as enthused as ever, and I tell him every chance I get how much it means to me that he wants to be part of it.

                                        Gry2Yng - DH would probably kill me for mentioning this but he asked for "horse show attire" for Christmas (actually what he said was, "I think we should have some team gear.") I translated that into a ball cap with a horse shoe, my horse's name, and "Pit Crew" over the top of it. I also had a fleece pullover made that has the pit crew logo. I think I need to get this made on a polo shirt now for the summer...

                                        SnicklefritzG! The DH doesn't have any brothers...but I have one who has learned the 'pit crew' trade from the DH. Funny story about the brother....he's a good looking guy (6'3", blonde, athletic) and he lives only 20 minutes from the Wellington show grounds. So I get a phone call from him this year where he's excited because he just "met a cute girl in riding boots" at Starbucks and he recalled the lessons of DH and approached her and asked "So do you do the Hunters or the Jumpers?" He claims she was very impressed...
                                        "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X