• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

McClain Ward clinic at Lion Hill Farm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McClain Ward clinic at Lion Hill Farm

Does anyone have more information, I read in a magazine he is having one there, looking for dates, and any input about what the place is like.

Originally posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
    Does anyone have more information, I read in a magazine he is having one there, looking for dates, and any input about what the place is like.
    Lion Hill Farm, where? The Lion Hill Farm in CT around the corner from me???

Comment

• Original Poster

It's somewhere in CT, don't know where.

Comment

My friend Suzie Mancheski is the new trainer there. The whole barn is undergoing renovations and they just put brand new TravelRight footing in the indoor and are really looking to turn the place in a new direction. The barn is located in Easton, CT, which is right next to Westport. Suzie used to ride for David Hopper and is PHENOMENAL!

The Facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lion-H...1329847?ref=ts

THE CLINIC IS TO BENEFIT PEGASUS!

The information is :
        9am-10am 2'0 to 2"6
        10am-11am 2'0 to 2'6"
        11am-12am 2'6" to 2'0 to2'9"
        cost $125.00 4 to 6 riders.

Lunch 12pm to 1pm

1pm-2:30pm 3'0 to 3'6"
        2:45pm-4:15pm 3'6' to 3'9" cost $175.00

You must call first to see if there is a spot open and then let them know you are sending a check. You can only reserve a spot with a check.

This clinic is to promote the farm and the fabulous new facility and trainer they have.

If you want any more info....let me know or call the farm yourself!
        Last edited by holaamigoalter; Mar. 13, 2011, 01:12 PM.
        "Using draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

Comment

Clinic

What is the date?

Comment

May 8th, had to hunt for it, but finally found it on their FB page.
            www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
            Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
            "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Comment

Can people come and audit?
              the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

If you audit you MUST make a donation to Pegasus. There is no minimum donation but you must make one.

They will be a food booth.

And yes, May 8th.
                Last edited by holaamigoalter; Mar. 13, 2011, 01:11 PM.
                "Using draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

Comment

That is the Lion Hill around the corner from me, I guess I will look into the DD attending

Comment

bumping...is anyone attending the clinic this weekend? My friend and I are planning to spectate
                    Equine Web Design & Marketing
                    designequine.org

Comment

Originally posted by designequine View Post
                      bumping...is anyone attending the clinic this weekend? My friend and I are planning to spectate
                      My DD will be there in the 3'6" session with her young horse. She's a little nervous, since her horse is a hunter but our trainer (who's known McClain forever!) said that she should not miss it under any circumstances

Comment

I will be there.

If you are spectating, please remember to make a donation to Pegasus.

Ponymom, she will do great! McLain focuses on how your riding influences the horse, and would never try to force the horse into something its not!

Comment

Anyone who is participating can PM me if you want - I did a clinic with McLain last year and would be happy to share my experience.
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
                          Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

The clinic went great! I was only able to catch the last two sections but they were both wonderful. McLain hung around and talked to anyone who wanted to.

My best friend (Ally) was riding the chesnut in the 3' section. He is not lame for those wondering, thats just the way he goes I promise!

The head trainer at Lion Hill (Suzie) rode one of my boss's horses and I was very proud of Mac...he was perfect as always

He did keep the jumps low and it would have been cool to see them a bit higher but I think he was trying to keep it appropriate for all riders and there were some riders in both sections that could have learned more in a lower section.

Ponymom...I saw your daughter!! She rode amazingly that horse is so cute. And what an amazing leg your daughter has...nice stick on some of those big efforts he made

Overall, I think everyone had a positive experience. McLain did express that he wished he had more time to work on some more advanced flatwork and to change some tack. I do wish the applicants had been more prepared with questions to ask him. The was an extremely accomplished rider waiting to answer questions and only a couple people asked questions.

Comment

coming out of lurkerdom...I was in the 1:00 session (For those who were there I was the one who got to go first on all the jumping courses in that section)...had a great time and learned a lot. I believe I will hear his words about discipline whenever I ride into a corner after a fence now.

Thanks so much to McLain and Lion Hill. I hope it was successful for Pegasus!

Holamingoalter, I know I completely *blanked* on the questions I wanted to ask at the end..kicking myself the whole way home while I remembered them.

Comment

I watched the last two sections also and as usual, was extremely impressed with McLain's teaching ability. He reminds me a bit of the late, great Ronnie Mutch - who had a gift for delivering technical instruction in a way that the riders could quickly internalize, while remaining positive and encouraging.

The other thing that always strikes me about McLain is how fast he can size up a horse and rider combination, and zero in on the one or two things that will make the most difference for them. In that respect, he's an absolute genius. Whether it is a tack change or a particular exercise, he can effect an amazing amount of change in a short period of time, and he seems genuinely interested in delivering that kind of "light bulb moment" type of instruction. I've seen far too many BNRs who teach low and intermediate level clinics and just more or less go through the motions. McLain is on the other end of the spectrum and was totally engaged in his teaching, even when the riders were "just" trotting through a little 2'6" grid.

It's a shame that opportunities to ride with him are so limited. I was really bummed not to get into the clinic and would have LOVED the opportunity to ride for him. It was especially a bummer to see the turnout of a couple people who *were* fortunate enough to get in ... quite amazing. Soap is cheap and elbow grease is free...
                                Last edited by Lucassb; May. 9, 2011, 10:32 AM. Reason: fixed typo
                                We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Haha - thanks Hola - the horse is a young one and has not had a lot of clinic experience, so it was a challenge. He was a little more interested in digging and schnuffling his nose in the footing than the actual exercises but he figured it out by the end - LOL!

It was a great experience to ride with one of the very best in the industry and Mclain is a fabulous instructor. I thought he was very gracious and patient with all of the horses and riders and was able to offer constructive comments in a very positive and easy to process way.

He was able to very quickly assess what every combination needed to work on and altered each exercise to expose the weakness and use the exercise to correct the flaw. It was genius the way he was able to distill his instruction to a level that was positive, encouraging and easily absorbed and seemed geniunely excited for the rider when they completed the exercise successfully.

I was also surprised by the turnout of some of the participants! My DD has clinicked with some big names before so knew what was expected in terms of turnout but also her trainer went into great detail at their lesson on Saturday about what *she* expected from us in that regard, I only wish that some of the other participants' professionals had that conversation with their students. How do you show up at a clinic with a dirty horse!!

I agree with Lucassb, that is a shame that opportunities to ride with him are so limited - he was brilliant! We would clinic again with him in a heartbeat and I would highly recommend him to all.

Comment

I wish I had been able to meet some of you! I was in brown riding pants, a green shirt, purple rain boots (left work early to watch our horse) and I had an incredibly bored German Shepherd with me lol

Comment

I loved watching all the sessions; everyone did great! McClain had excellent comments (when the loudspeaker was working). I uploaded some pictures, unfortunately the jumping angles aren't so good since I had a limited view from where we were sitting. There was also a LOT of cute around (ponies, kids, puppies, kids with puppies, etc!) and it was sometimes hard to focus on watching the riders in the ring

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6267230...7626561430889/
                                      Equine Web Design & Marketing
                                      designequine.org

Comment

Originally posted by designequine View Post
                                        I loved watching all the sessions; everyone did great! McClain had excellent comments (when the loudspeaker was working). I uploaded some pictures, unfortunately the jumping angles aren't so good since I had a limited view from where we were sitting. There was also a LOT of cute around (ponies, kids, puppies, kids with puppies, etc!) and it was sometimes hard to focus on watching the riders in the ring

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6267230...7626561430889/
                                        Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                                        X