• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle shopping is making my head spin!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle shopping is making my head spin!

Seriously, does anyone actually LIKE doing this? I have three students to shop for and I wish I didn't ever have to look at another saddle ad again! They have some $$ but not enough to just go get whatever they like, so I'm left searching for needles in a haystack! If you look ebay/craigslist/equinenow/equinehits, etc, there are scams everywhere. If you look on the main sites for nice used saddles, they go in and out every day practically. Tack shops have been hit or miss. Some saddle brands I've never even heard of. The idea of having the saddle fitter out multiple times and shipping saddles back and forth when they don't work is big $$$ that eats into their budget! We currently have two saddles in for two of the girls that may not end up working.

How in the world do you saddle gurus get this down to a science?? There is so much variety that it makes my head spin! Each rider doesn't always just work in one size/shape saddle, so that doesn't even help narrow it down! Ugh! Has anyone used wither tracings to help narrow down what dot-to-dot measurement to stay with? How accurate is it?
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

If you have three saddles you are looking to purchase, I am sure any used saddle or consinment shop will allow you to take several saddles on trial. I know I would. By going to one of these stores your students will be trying the saddles they actually buy, not try a demo and purchase a different saddle of the same make.
    Having the opportunity to try saddles they have never ridden in might be an eye opener.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Comment

I have done this twice in the last two years, and it has taken MONTHS and countless saddles. No, it is NOT fun!! I learned to do my own tracings, pics, and how to fit well enough to make an educated decision before bringing a fitter out for a final blessing. Saddle fitting is a horrible use of time! It does however help if you have a credit card with a very large limit to trial multiple saddles at a time. What kind of saddle are you looking for? If you can do your own tracings, and take tons of pictures including confo shots, pics of your current saddle on his back, and pics of you doing the tracings, you can then go to one of the bigger tack shops for help. I went to Ricks in West Chester and looked at every single saddle with the tracings to find the best fit.
      Kelly
      Zimpatico - 21 year old Hanoverian

Comment

A couple of suggestions.

If there's a saddle fitter in your area (and one who is not affiliated with a particular brand) why don't you ask them out first. They can help you determine what type of saddle will fit the horses.

Once you know tree sizes, panel shapes, etc. then you can start to add the requirements of the riders.

I know what kind of saddles fit me (very long femur) and my horse (TB with moderately high withers but quite broad through the shoulders) so it really narrows down the choice. I frequently buy on eBay because I have a pretty good idea of what will/won't work. It can be very frustrating when you are just starting to figure it out because it entails riding in a lot of saddles to better understand your needs.

You can also tap into the knowledge of the folks at some of the Tack stores. I think the people at Trumbull Mountain are very helpful and they also have a good selection of used saddles.
        Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
        EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Send wither tracings and the online survey to Trumbull Mountain Tack Shop....they are great!

Comment

I just finished a saddle search for a difficult to fit rider (myself) and horse (Morgan) . . best thing I did was spring for extensive tracings , but affordable for $150 I thought, (highly recommend the saddle fitter I used, you can PM me if you want her name). Took the tracings up to a well known tack shop who knew how to read these particular tracings, tried what was going to fit him, brought 4 home, one fit us both perfectly. .. Made the process 100X easier and made the drive up to the tack shop (about 2 hours away from me) effective. I sat in a dozen saddles and really figured out what would work for us both. Saddle fitter came back and approved my choice (included in initial charge) and will come back again to adjust one more time once its broken in

Yes, its was still stressful but it could have been much worse. If I had just done wither tracings, I would have never known the monster had such a deep rocker that knix's about 90% of the saddles out there.

Comment

Originally posted by kris578 View Post
              I just finished a saddle search for a difficult to fit rider (myself) and horse (Morgan) . . best thing I did was spring for extensive tracings , but affordable for $150 I thought, (highly recommend the saddle fitter I used, you can PM me if you want her name). Took the tracings up to a well known tack shop who knew how to read these particular tracings, tried what was going to fit him, brought 4 home, one fit us both perfectly. .. Made the process 100X easier and made the drive up to the tack shop (about 2 hours away from me) effective. I sat in a dozen saddles and really figured out what would work for us both. Saddle fitter came back and approved my choice (included in initial charge) and will come back again to adjust one more time once its broken in

Yes, its was still stressful but it could have been much worse. If I had just done wither tracings, I would have never known the monster had such a deep rocker that knix's about 90% of the saddles out there.
              What did you end up getting (another longer-thighed person here looking to fit a Morgan)? Thanks!
              If we have to nail on talent, it's not talent.
              Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Comment

I got a Cliff Barnsby Schokemohle .. . wasn't cheap .. but it fits us both perfectly and the saddle fitter assured me that it can be changed as the monster continues to develop muscle. (he is a med. wide tree, but needs gussets to evenly fall across his back) Most everything else created bridging. He doesn't have a huge shoulder though. If it helps she suggested brands: Albion, Keiffer, county, Black country and duett

Comment

Originally posted by pattnic View Post
                  What did you end up getting (another longer-thighed person here looking to fit a Morgan)? Thanks!
                  As a long thighed person who bought a saddle to fit a Morgan (and has seen the same saddles fit - and well - manyyyyy other Morgans) I'd suggest County.

I've been saddle shopping three times in two years.
                  It sucks.
                  Rarely does it get better. You can know what YOU like, but what you like doesn't necessarily work for the horse...

Comment

I had the head spins for years until I just bucked up saved some money and got what I wanted.

I would only buy a custom CWD or a Devocoux (period).
                    Live in the sunshine.
                    Swim in the sea.
                    Drink the wild air.

Comment

I am a rare bird because I like to buy saddles. I frequently buy/sell as I try different brands. Right now it's a buyer's market so you can find all kinds of great deals usually at about half price if you're willing to try used. With deals like that out there you can easily resell if they don't work out.

For jumping my favorite saddles are my County Extreme and my Stackhouse. I paid less than $1k for each. They are both saddles that were cut for people like me with extra long femurs. The County worked great on my Warmblood, not so fine for my TB so it's in storage. My Stackhouse fits my TB like a custom. My doppelganger must have ordered that saddle!
                      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by STA View Post
                        If you have three saddles you are looking to purchase, I am sure any used saddle or consinment shop will allow you to take several saddles on trial. I know I would. .
                        Right now, two of the three have saddles in on trial from a tack store consignment. We are looking at high end used saddles for those two. My other one is at a lower price point and in slightly less of a rush to buy. Unfortunately, in our four day trial, we have decided that these two saddles are not the right two (although I may try the one for the third student since the price point was actually very good), so they will be going back. One student moved up into a higher price bracket now, which is nice, but it's still difficult figuring out what fits.

Originally posted by huntereq_princess View Post
                        I went to Ricks in West Chester and looked at every single saddle with the tracings to find the best fit.
                        They just went to Ricks in NJ the other day and found nothing. I think we are really just going to need to find the time to keep hitting the shops. It's much easier, I find, to actually have them sit IN the saddles before taking them on trial than getting one from an internet site - however, the better deals seem to be on the sites! Catch 22.

Originally posted by Bogie View Post
                        If there's a saddle fitter in your area (and one who is not affiliated with a particular brand) why don't you ask them out first. They can help you determine what type of saddle will fit the horses.

I think the people at Trumbull Mountain are very helpful and they also have a good selection of used saddles.
                        Trumbull doesn't have anything that really works for us right now, but is on my "keep checking" list.

I may consider having our saddler out to work with tracings. It's tough because he's very busy and very difficult to schedule. I haven't even been able to get him out to check these two saddles we have in on trial! I am very glad we decided to send them back because I don't think he was planning on even calling me back before the trial was over (after we spoke on day one about only having 4 days and he was supposed to call me back to let me know if he could fit us in; I also followed up with a second call yesterday, not returned) - which I find a bit rude and unprofessional, but I'm trying to just move on...

Thankfully, two of my riders are not particularly difficult fits. They are rather "average" in general and almost the identical size/shape of each other. My other kid I think will be harder to fit because she has a much longer leg. One horse is a thin, shark-finned TB who we can't risk fitting too perfectly because he may not be with us long and the other two are rather average TBs. I just need to get more educated on which saddles fit which ways, but honestly, it's like, I didn't have time for this before, I sure don't now. But I have to because my customers don't have a clue, so I guess that's what I need to do....
                        ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by doublesstable View Post
                          I had the head spins for years until I just bucked up saved some money and got what I wanted.

I would only buy a custom CWD or a Devocoux (period).
                          Unfortunately, these guys do not have the budget to simply buy custom - nor would we with one of the girls who is riding a leased horse. It would be lovely, but not going to happen. Therefore, we must be just another group of people looking for nice, used, high-end saddles at a less then brand-new price.

Comment

I would DEFINATELY recommend a trip to Ricks in West Chester to sit in a variety of saddles. They have about 4 times the number of saddles in the West Chester store compared to their NJ stores, plus a much larger used selection. Have you tried Horsemen's Outlet? They don't have as many high end saddles, but you could get a better idea of what your clients like. Beval up near Gladstone also has a great selection of used high end saddles in the shop, and their staff is pretty knowledgable.

I'm not sure where you are in NJ, but you could try calling Ronni at Skylands Saddlery in Flemington for help with fitting. She's fantastic, and will come out to do tracings & measurements. Her shop is primarily dressage, but she's a great fitter and is starting to carry some jumping saddles.

Tracings are not very difficult to do on your own. Google tracings and check out youtube for some how-tos. I did it myself, although it took me a good hour to do it right (it would take a fitter about 15 minutes!)
                            Kelly

Comment

• Original Poster

I would DEFINATELY recommend a trip to Ricks in West Chester to sit in a variety of saddles. They have about 4 times the number of saddles in the West Chester store compared to their NJ stores, plus a much larger used selection. Have you tried Horsemen's Outlet? They don't have as many high end saddles, but you could get a better idea of what your clients like. Beval up near Gladstone also has a great selection of used high end saddles in the shop, and their staff is pretty knowledgable.

I'm not sure where you are in NJ, but you could try calling Ronni at Skylands Saddlery in Flemington for help with fitting. She's fantastic, and will come out to do tracings & measurements. Her shop is primarily dressage, but she's a great fitter and is starting to carry some jumping saddles.

Tracings are not very difficult to do on your own. Google tracings and check out youtube for some how-tos. I did it myself, although it took me a good hour to do it right (it would take a fitter about 15 minutes!)
                              I haven't been to Ricks in WC (outside of Devon) for sooooo many years, it would be fun to go there again. I hit Bevals during the sale, but they had very little in our original price range (they had a LOT of $3k+ in at the time), but now my one student upped the budget, so I am going to take her back there. The ONE lower end saddle I wanted the long-legged-lower-budget kid to sit in was gone a couple days later when I brought her back to try it! I have a pretty good idea of what the girls like... both girls love my *old* Pessoa and my other student's Dev, both tolerate my one student's newer Pessoa (but I don't want one of them for them). One needs a fort knox saddle that practically comes with a seat belt for her rocket launcher horse (sticky, deep, front/rear blocks), one is more flexible but would like something similar to the old Pessoa, and the third will be happy in anything that's not my ancient Stubben AP schooling saddle. lol

So Ricks WC, Horseman's Outlet, where else is good to try in the NJ/PA area? I think they looked at Dover and Ricks NJ. I have look Tack Shelter and Bevals plus a little local shop...

Comment

I haven't been there in years, but Tollbooth in Southampton NJ always had a few used saddles in the back (you never know what you might find). Bucks County Saddlery, in Buckingham PA, about 20 minutes past Ringoes on 202, always has a good selection of used saddles.

There is a really nice 16" County stabilizer at Horsemans right now, I think it's under $2K. If my butt was a little bit smaller, I would've bought it for myself! They also have an older Pessoa that's in great shape with the exception of a rip in the knee pad. Should be easy to fix and its a really great price.

Ricks & Bucks County Saddlery both have their used saddles listed on their website, so you might want to check there first. If you do go to Ricks in West Chester, call ahead and find out when one of their saddle experts will be there and try to schedule an appointment with them. You definately don't want to waste the trip if one of the girls isn't there.

If you make the drive to Ricks, stop at Malvern Saddlery, about 10 minutes away. Very small but high end store that has a few beautiful new saddles and a couple of high end used saddles in the back. I've heard they also have a consignment store close by, but I've never been there.
                                Kelly

Comment

Loved using our saddle fitter. She made it so easy and I knew (unlike our previous saddles) that these saddles fit both my daughter and I and our horse.

Don't even ask me about the saddle we bought at a highly recommended (talked about all the time here on COTH) tack store nearby. Took it back 4 times insisting it just didn't look right. All four times, the store's "saddle fitter" slapped it on the plastic model, sat my daughter in it and told me how stupid I was not to believe it wasn't right. Yea. uh. No. Happened to 3 other girls at our barn as well.

There's nothing like a good and reputable saddle fitter that comes out with a lot of various saddles (used and new), spends a ton of time measuring your horse, the rider and watching the movement u/s. I found that it saved us money in the long run.

Comment

have you tried usedsaddles.com?

Lightning G is out of Lagrangeville, NY .. .it maybe close enough to do a day trip up there with the kids. they have loads of saddles of all different price ranges new/used etc. and you can preview all of them online

Comment

• Original Poster

I haven't been there in years, but Tollbooth in Southampton NJ always had a few used saddles in the back (you never know what you might find).
                                      That's pretty ironic that you mention them because that's the local shop I referred to. We are out in the boonies of southern NJ and that and Blue Ribbon (where I usually shop, but doesn't carry new or used saddles) are our two local tack shops. I am going to try to make a plan to go visit some other shops. So hard to find the time with the show schedule and the kids riding and sports and everything else! Ugh.

I think my next move - in addition to continuing the online search - is to have our local saddle fitter out to measure the kids and horses. Then maybe I won't feel quite so needle-in-a-haystack.

Comment

I used to get really frustrated with saddle shopping until I found Kate Wilson.

Then my strategy changed to call Kate, wait for her to come out, and when she does she arrives with a large truck that has about 50 used saddles, the opportunity to order several brands of new saddles, and a flocking station right on it.

Easy as pie, and much less expensive than some of the "high end" saddle brands a lot of the hunter people are so hopped up on. (Although if you really WANT to spend $4,500 on a saddle I believe she has those options as well.)

www.dutchessbridlesaddle.com, if I recall correctly you are within her area.
                                        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Working...
                                        X