• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Critiques please... video.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critiques please... video.

My husband was nice enough to make a video of my horse Rudy and I. I haven't seen a video of me riding in forever and I can say I feel like I look horrible. Especially our canter. I am putting this out there in hopes of finding ways to better ourselves.

I'm an adult re-rider and don't have the funds to take lessons that often. Rudy is a 16 yr old Oldenburg who is very lazy slug. I bought him as a confidence builder and he has been exactly that.

There is music so turn down your speakers!

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Mimi La Rue; Mar. 4, 2011, 12:26 AM.
    Owned by an Oldenburg
  • Original Poster

Also ignore the device on my chest. It's a GoPro camera.
    Owned by an Oldenburg

Comment

You should warn people to turn down their speakers.

The thing I'd work on most, is to go FORWARD, and not "tranter". You've got a 4 beat canter going, which is impossible to make you look good at. Get up in two point and hand gallop a little to wake him up. Use your legs/crop to get him in front of your leg. Maybe go ride in a field, if he is just bored with the ring. Doing lots of rapid fire transitions will usually get one hotter off the leg.

Comment

First of all, you do not look horrible!! And good on you for buying such a sweet, steady guy to build your confidence up. Rudy looks like a doll!

Your basic position looks pretty good, actually. The few things I would want to see differently are 1.) more bend in your elbows - keep those arms soft! 2.) UNBEND YOUR WRISTS! Thumbs on top! and 3.) stretch up with your upper body and down with your legs.

The one thing that I think would help you IMMENSELY is to...

GET RUDY GOING FORWARD! From the video it's very evident that he is, indeed, a 'slug'! He is in slooowwww moooootion. Way, way too slow. When you ask for any forward movement, an up transition, more impulsion, whatever, if dear Rudy doesn't hop right to it, give him a hard pop with your stick. Once you have him going forward and in front of your leg, it will be MUCH easier for you to stretch up, down, and around and just go with the motion instead of feeling that you have to scrunch up your body and push push push!

Otherwise, good job. Keep at it and have fun!
        Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Comment

He's super cute! And the video is really well done, I really enjoyed watching it.
          Now for the critique.
          My first comment: When you're mounting up, try to gently ease onto his back instead of plopping down. He'll appreciate it.
          Now for the riding: He is PAINFULLY behind your leg. Almost all of my critiques stem from that, actually.
          It really didn't seem like you have a lot of strength in your legs to push him forward. I'd say really work on applying your leg. I also saw you had a whip but never once used it. If he ignores your leg, you have to get after him!
          Secondly, you're putting too much effort into your posting. I think that also stems back to him being so painfully slow. He's not pushing you up out of the saddle, so you are posting too high to compensate for that.
          In the canter I noticed a lot of pumping with the body but again, no leg.
          And finally, one other thing I noticed was that sometimes your wrists become flattened which in turn causes the elbows to come out a bit.
          The best trot and canter I saw was the very last crossrail.
          He looks like a very sweet horse!
          My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
          http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks all. Going forward is definitely our biggest challenge. I actually thought he was pretty forward (more than normal) when this video was taken but I guess not! haha. It feels faster than it looks I guess.

"Tranter" is the perfect description of our canter. It's really hard to ride. I feel like a couple steps of trying to get in the motion of that depletes all my energy. He is much better in spurs, but I was giving him rubs so I took those off.

I will definitely kick his butt to go more forward from now on since I see how ugly the "tranter" looks. He wakes up a lot more once he jumps, but since I am not taking lessons I will only trot him over small x's.
            Owned by an Oldenburg

Comment

He looks SO not spectacular and its all because of his lack of going forward - I can see there is a spectacular horse IN there. And for you - it doesnt look like a lot of fun because he looks like he would hurt to keep pushing forward - esp that one part where he is crooked.

BUT wow, despite an unpure canter, he managed a full flying change! Sort of funny - he gives himself away there that he CAN do it.

He says "mom, I AM giving 100%!" while he gives 40%.

LIAR! But with such a sweet expression! LOL LOL

I think you should canter him a lot - get him on the rail or a safe place - if a field is safe for you and THINK hand-gallop - he probably will go at a nice forward medium canter only but your mind might need to THINK that - get him to open his shoulders and hips and get some fitness too.

Then put another video on here for us to critique.

Meanwhile, the ONLY thing I would say about you - is - I do not see that you need to bend your elbows more and I am a dressage person - but maybe that is because I am a petite gal and know that when I ride - sometimes I cant have a big bend in my arms and still have my hands in front of me like I need - I just do not have the arm length. As long as there is a soft connection from your elbow through your hands to the mouth - you should be fine and I see that you DO - I like your independent seat and hands are nice but I DO agree with the post about keeping your thumbs more up and wrists straighter. Otherwise, I think you ride great - its hard to really pick on it with this video - I want to light a fire under your horse instead!

That doesnt mean I think you are too small for him. He just is not a small horse..... you look like you are more normal sized as a woman than me. I am a shortie! But it gives me pause. I have a student who has an 18 hand horse and she is 5'7" and I have to always say - get yours hands out in front of you!

But he is cute as a button in his expression. He just looks like a gentleman!

Comment

I would so much rather see this then what usually shows up on here. He is safe, nice size, well cared for and VERY suitable for you right now.

BUT...he sure is not going to give you anything you don't specifically ask for is he? Not too ambitious. Which is good for adult reriders.

That "trantor" is a 4 beat canter and feels like crap-go forward more and it turns back to the correct 3 beats and you can roll along with it.

All in all, most of your faults are because he is giving you no momentum to work with-your post is too high and labored, you are flinging yourself into 2 point and have alot of up and down motion. All because there is noplace else to go and you are trying to do all the work. So you get all this motion and stiffness.

I'd start out by NOT casually wandering into the ring, get on and ride like you mean it...and don't settle for this ambling around.

Be braver, he isn't going anywhere and all you need to do is wake him up a little and stick to your expectation he will do just that.

I don't think you look bad at all, you just need to get a little more specific in what you ask him to do and back that up to wake him up. Get 3 good gaits on the flat working.

He is cute, I like you on him.
                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

As another rider of a slug, I feel your pain!

Did you watch any of the George Morris clinics? One of the things he kept mentioning that has helped me in the past couple of weeks is that you AND the horse have to be "thinking" forward, even at the walk.

I've started insisting on a good forward walk, even when just stepping into the ring or walking around the farm after a lesson. I might be nuts, but I swear it is translating into the trot and canter work.

You may just have to get in your two point and think "gallop" for awhile, like a few of the other posters said. If he is anything like Max, you'll end up with a working canter

I'm forever having to be reminded by my trainer to keep Max in front of my leg. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time, but once you have the feeling it gets easier. Keep up the good work!!
                  "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Comment

A slowish horse almost always goes slower when the rider uses a full seat. It's like they sink back into you. Someone already mentioned it, but I'd get off his back & dig my spur to his heart You are trying to use your body too much when all you need is leg.
                    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Comment

To try to put things delicately, and on top of all the wonderful input you've already received, would a really good bra help you sit more quietly in the saddle?

Comment

I am certainly no expert, but your saddle looks to me like it is sitting too far forward. It could be the camera angle, but several times it looked to me like your foot was up on his shoulder.

He reminds me of a horse I ride from time to time. When I get off, my legs are absolutely exhausted from trying to keep him moving forward.
                        "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Small Change View Post
                          To try to put things delicately, and on top of all the wonderful input you've already received, would a really good bra help you sit more quietly in the saddle?
                          I think it's the GoPro camera that's bouncing along. It's bouncing my boobs along with it. We were going to incorporate the video shot on that in this video but watching the GoPro footage makes you motion sick. We'll mount it to my helmet next time which should be more secure.
                          Owned by an Oldenburg

Comment

• Original Poster

I am going to work on forward forward forward, even if it kills me! I hope to have a new video in a couple weeks with an improvement.
                            Owned by an Oldenburg

Comment

I'm not going to critique you because I think everything has been said, but he is an adorable horse!!

Comment

You can tell that he is a little sluggish! I agree with not using your whole body to push him. Get into a light half seat, put on some baby spurs and let his back round and come up to you while he uses his hind end to push off of each canter stride.
                                "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
                                www.useaiv.org

Comment

Get off his back at the canter. Use your leg to support yourself, and lighten your seat. You'r digging at him with your booty and that's not helping. Very 3 point seat or even go into 2 point and make him CANTER out. Like someone mentioned in a field to make him forward.

The more you "needle" them for it by kicking and pumping, the more they say "yeah no." My guy is the same way. But if I sit lighter on his back and let him move forward he's fine. But he likes to think things are HIS idea sometimes.

Comment

I noticed what someone said above. Does your saddle fit you? Your knee is in front of the flap quite a bit.

It almost looks like your stirrups are too short or you are drawing your leg up to use your heel on him. (or both)

Comment

I agree the saddle might be a little too far forward, but I also think you need to get your leg a little more underneath your body - you're in a bit of a chair seat. I think that's part of why you look like you're throwing yourself up at the trot, because your leg isn't under you, so you have to toss yourself really high to get over your leg. It's really easy to develop the chair on a horse you feel you have to push all the time! Try posting one beat down, two beats up. If you fall back, your leg probably isn't under you. One trainer I used to have totally kicked my butt with that one!

ETA: I also agree maybe drop the stirrups a bit for flatwork.

Comment

I can't watch the vids due to my work firewall ...but as a past rider of slugs and now a very forward horse let me tell you your job gets a bazillion times easier when they are carrying themselves.

A crop and transitions should be your best friend at the beginning of every ride. And it is hard to get away from the nagging mindset if he doesn't listen, as well as knowing when to use the crop. I would maybe try a dressage whip too, because sometimes the horse will anticipate going forward when you remove your hand from the rein. With the dressage whip, its just a flick of the wrist, and a much faster correction when they start lagging behind your leg.

Comment

Working...
                                        X