• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bagging a horse's tail?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bagging a horse's tail?

My horse has a fairly long, and decently thick tail. It seems that no matter how short I trim it (fetlock) he steps on it in the stall and pulls big chunks out. I don't want to cut it any shorter as he tends to carry it higher when going around. I've started bagging it with a lycra tail bag. So instead of stepping on it and pulling it out, he's snagging it on the wood in the stall and pulling it out. ARGH. Any recommendations or suggestions? I feel like when its in the bag I brush out maybe 20-30 hairs each time I take it out and brush it. I am doing this every other week.

Any other suggestions??? Is this normal? I've never really bagged a tail before.

TIA
    My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

Maybe others here can give you more knowledgeable advice. I only have a second-hand suggestion since I have never bagged a tail myself. However, my friend had a grey mare whose tail she bagged to keep it white for showing. She just used an old sock, cut a few notches in the top of it so she could tie it in place. It worked super well, and maybe that material wouldn't snag as easily??? You can probably use any material you'd like so long as it's the right shape and does the job.
    ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
    4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

You might try making a bunch of sections in knots and vet wrap each knot like the reining people do. Just a loose, simple knot, about six to eight sections.
      I never brush. Comb or pick with an Afro pick and lots of conditioning oil in an infrequent basis.
      My horse's tails are finally getting thicker and longer, six months after being home from the trainer and suffering from my purposeful neglect.
      For really thin, short tails, MTG really works but is stinky stuff.

Comment

benign neglect. The only time I completely brush my horses' tails out is after their baths with detangler liberally spread through.
        \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

Comment

We never cut our tails (saddleseat) so what I have found best is to use a long piece of shoe string and braid it into the tail from the bone down. At the end loop it around to secure it and then wrap the end of the braid through the braid so the tail is tied up above the hocks. Then use vet wrap or an old sock (cut the top of the sock in quarters - use the two from behind the tail to come through the braid and tie and use the two from the front to go behind and tie). If the tail is tied up higher it snags less often - I only take my horses tail down every few months if I'm not showing. For fly season you can attach some binder twine to the braid so they still have "hair". Hope this helps!

Comment

When I used to bag my old horses tail when we were doing some QH O/F stuff, I used a tail bag like this: http://www.nrsworld.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=BL044010!SLEAZ . I also used this stuff http://www.sstack.com/coat-condition...r-moisturizer/ in a spray bottle. Take the tail down once a week, only use a pick comb or your fingers and gently brush it.

I think we also doubled it up somehow and taped it so they didn't step on them, but I honestly can't remember what exactly I did.

My horses tail was to the ground after a while!

Comment

I always braided the tail, then put it in a lycra tail bag. Then added a nylon tail bag over top.

http://www.sporthorseproducts.com/nylon-tail-bag.html

The nylon will take more abuse then the lycra.

Comment

The absolute best thing is to do loose knots and vet wrap them.

Comment

Agree with all above. If you don't want to braid or knot & bag, then just wash then use LOTS of cowboy magic detangler. Every 2 weeks. No brushing, just pick the tail by hand. It takes longer to get that full, long tail, but it works. Even on a white tail.
                  The world is best viewed through the ears of a horse.

Comment

Originally posted by mand_asbfan View Post
                    We never cut our tails (saddleseat) so what I have found best is to use a long piece of shoe string and braid it into the tail from the bone down. At the end loop it around to secure it and then wrap the end of the braid through the braid so the tail is tied up above the hocks. Then use vet wrap or an old sock (cut the top of the sock in quarters - use the two from behind the tail to come through the braid and tie and use the two from the front to go behind and tie). If the tail is tied up higher it snags less often - I only take my horses tail down every few months if I'm not showing. For fly season you can attach some binder twine to the braid so they still have "hair". Hope this helps!
                    This and Cowboy Magic. You can also you little tail bags that Schneiders sells, they even come with little "tails" so they can still swat at flys!
                    www.Somermistfarm.com
                    Quality Hunter Ponies

Comment

• Original Poster

Sadly what I normally do is benign neglect, but with this horse he was pulling huge chunks out in his stall from stepping on it.

When I say that he's snagging the tail, I mean above the tail bag, that first section of braid, he'll hang on something and then it will pull out of the base of his tail since it can't pull out of the braid.

I'm intrigued by the knot/vet wrap idea. How long do you leave them in? How thick of a section of hair do you use? I'd be afraid that I'd still have the snagging issue?

I found this website with what looks like instructions??

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_car...ilknot_060606/
                      My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

Comment

Yes, that's the way the knot looks. The, cover each knot with vet wrap. You can leave it in a week or two. Never comb a dry, unconditioned tail. Always oil or use a detangler first. I like the orange/ pinkish oil that you dilute in a spray bottle, I can't remember the name but it seems to last forever. I spray on liberally and pick out the knots very, very slowly. It takes me about 30 minutes to pick a tail. I dont even touch it unless I have the time.

Comment

PSA: Please be extremely careful when using nylon tail bags. DO NOT tie them up on the bone! Had a friend that did just that and literally cut the horses tail almost all the way off. Had to go for emergency surgery and lost 5 of the bottom vertebrae. So please please make sure you tie it below the bone.

For the record, I always bag my horse from fall to mid spring. I use a lycra bag and just braid it like the OP did. Never had much issues with this, so I am really no help with ideas. LOL Just wanted to give a heads up.
                          Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
                          Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
                          "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
                          I love my Dublin-ator

Comment

Originally posted by Squirt View Post
                            benign neglect. The only time I completely brush my horses' tails out is after their baths with detangler liberally spread through.
                            The barn I ride with as well as my own, this is the system.

It also sounds like your stall needs some repairs. I used to have a hanging bucket on one of my horses stalls and removed it because the loops in the handles would catch his tail.

You may need to cut it shorter. I usually cut my horses tails about 6 inches up from the fetlocks.

Keeping their tails cut is also important chiropractic-ally. It can create back issues if you allow it to get long so they step on it.

I am not a fan of tail bags. Every horse I have seen or when in the past I tried them, it made their tails kind of thin.

Besides, I like seeing their tails everyday.
                            Live in the sunshine.
                            Swim in the sea.
                            Drink the wild air.

Comment

I had some Arab show horse friends show me how they put tails up and once the show season is over and most of the bugs are gone, up goes the tail! It's great and you just leave it alone. I think the bags look like a hassle.

I wash and condition and then braid all the long hairs in one long braid, a little loose at the top. You have to first separate the shorter hair and pull it up and out of the way. Then pull the end of the braid through the top, loose part under the tailbone and keep looping until it is all in a ball. Then vet wrap the ball, winding the vet wrap through the hole at the top a couple of times along the way to secure. Then dowse the top of the tail with MTG and you are good to go. I did this at the beginning of December and will probably check it next weekend and redo the vet wrap.

My H/J coach makes fun of us, but Roisin's tail will be loverly in the spring and require almost zero upkeep in the winter. I just MTG the top, pick out shavings and that's it.

Word of caution...make sure there is nothing in the stall that the tail could get hooked on (like bucket handles). And my mare stays away from fence and associated trouble, so I don't worry too much about her pulling her whole tail off! But there is that risk, I suppose.

I guess Arab show horses wear their tails like this all the time when they are nor showing because their tail actually drag on the ground.

Comment

We keep our AQHA and welsh ponies tails in bags. We wash them every month, only brush them an rebraid and ba every few weeks. I do put cowboy magic in everytime. We use nylon bags. Biggest thing I do is cut a half inch to inch off every 6-8 weeks. The tails are fuller, healthier and easier to manage.

Comment

I started using a lycra tail bag on my mare when I first got her. Her tail was thin and barely came to her hocks, thanks to her old neighbor who enjoyed eating it. I braid it and keep it bagged, and take it down for shows, or to wash and pick out every two weeks or so. Her tail drags on the ground now and is very full. In the summer I use a fly sheet and plenty of fly spray to keep the bugs away.

Comment

I have done this for years. Wash it. Condition it. Show Sheen it. Pick it out with your fingers. Braid it only tight enough to hold in place. Bag it in a nylon bag. (Snap gave me the least problems). Leave it alone. Take down no more than once a week, depending on how nasty it gets and redo it. I had a TB baby with the worst tail ever and over time you would have thought she had warmblood in her with the thick, fat tail she had.

Comment

Working...
                                    X