• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Greg Best Clinic - Tips & What To Expect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Best Clinic - Tips & What To Expect

I am very excited to be sending in my paperwork for a Greg Best clinic next month! I have a friend who cliniced with him in the Midwest a couple of years ago and loved him.

I am an old lady hunter rider and signing up for the 2'6" section...all 3 days.

Anyone who has done his clinics care to share any preparation tips, or experiences at his clinics? OK to hear both good and bad. I've been reading old COTH posts and checking out Youtube, too.

TIA

Does anyone have a list of his clinic dates/locations?

I have a baby I'd love to take to some clinics.

Lucky you... have fun!

TIA!
    Trinity Farm LLC
    Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
    Like us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

Comment

• Original Poster

giggle...I probably haven't done a BNT clinic since Bernie Traurig in 1979! This should be interesting!

Comment

Use your corners, that is probably something he HAMMERS over and over for both hunters and jumpers. I got to come sit in the center of the ring and chat with him with my jumper mare while the hunters went round and round and round...trying to get it right (of course, I had the advantage of clinicing with him 3 times before so knew what he was looking for).

umm...don't lean, he really wants you listening (my student did one as well and he got quite aggravated with her, which is nice because thats something I've been frustrated with as well, the way she tunes out and doesn't pay attention).

At 2'6" your going to be pretty straight forward, probably dealing with some LL riders. I've sworn I'm never doing 2'6" again since he spent quite a bit of time dealing with other riders on some pretty basic stuff, but I'm hoping to take my baby this spring so would either be in the 2' or 2'6" (she's turning 4 in may). I'm SUPER excited, I adore him and really love his approach and his ability to work with both the rider and the horse so I'm hoping to get some good tips.

Overall though, practice driving into the corner and really taking advantage of your ring. He had me do an exercise where I looked at the horses ears instead of through my turn. He had quite a few of the other kids hook their stirrup leathers together and laid them across the seat of the saddle to help with leaning.

He love consistency and pace. He had an exercise where he had a pole, 7 strides, vertical, 7 strides pole and he wanted to see the exact same striding between both poles, ie, horse not rushing on landing.

He's great, pretty much a tell it like it is, but still isn't going to be a "mean" as George Morris. He's very insightful with your horse as well. If you are having any issues, be prepared for him to fiddle with your bit, he normally has a big box and might be switching you out. I know he took my very strong pony at my first clinic from a pelham, to a mullen rubber mouth...and turned her into a quiet, soft, responsive pony, vs. the pulling anxious one she was before.

Attire is usually polo shirts, nice pads both fleece and square, and horses are normally booted up.

Comment

Yes, as Jumper_girl said all of those things! He is very personable and if you TRY to do what he wants, you will get along. There was one girl at one of the clinics (I did two with him) who did NOT try and he got a bit harsh with her. He does NOT believe in trotting fences AT ALL so just warning you there, you don't get to trot a fence to warmup!
          www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

My daughter did a clinic with Greg Best and he's great. Big on balance and position. Extremely honest so have a thick skin. You'll learn a lot!

Comment

My daughter, who always tries very hard no matter what she is doing, loved his clinics and got a lot out of them. My son, who ran Greg over in the middle of the ring while riding his evil small pony, has never heard the end of it from Greg, and refuses to ride with him anymore!

Comment

Are you doing the one at Three Bears? I'm hoping to audit on Friday!
                http://tailsoftheottb.blogspot.com

Comment

Bring your hearing aid...I thought it was hard to hear him sometimes.

If you're riding crooked, he has a very interesting exercise. You take off your stirrups, buckle the stirrup leathers together in one long loop, and put them over the pommel of the saddle. Then you do your flat work like that. If you are riding off one hip or one stirrup, you'll know in no time.

He'll make you think before you react.

He's nice to look at.

Comment

Agree with others. Be straight to the jump and away from the jump. Use the full ring, do not cut corners. Listen and try.

I thought he was fantastic...very insightful, saw my issues extremely quickly gave me good things to work on..it's been a year and a half and I still use his comments almost every ride. He gave me a compliment that still makes me smile. Once I'm ready, I will be taking another clinic with him.
                    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

I've cliniced with Greg several times, three times this last year...

I adore him!

Present yourself like he's GM. Clean, shiny, tucked, brushed and polished. He does really appreciate that. (Although he may not tell you that, especially if this is your first time riding with him, he did tell me and the other girl in my section last time I went.)

His version of straight is different than some people's. You want to be straight relative to how you approach the fence, especially on landing. Don't follow the curve of the rail, stay straight for as long as you can without running into the fence.

You want to ride with as much power as you can contain and control, always. Flat and jumps. Don't trot the first jump unless you're directly asked to.

Listen, try, and be as straight and correct as possible. (A bit of no-irons before you go won't hurt, although he probably won't make you do any.) Be prepared to ride a hole or two shorter or longer than normal. You may get adjusted a good bit depending on your height and how big your horse is.

Just smile and take a deep breath! He's a super teacher with a super logical method to training, riding and teaching.

Don't forget to post after and let us know what you think!
                      friend of bar.ka

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks all! Should be interesting as many things described in your posts are definitely pain points for us! But I think that's actually great...I have no interest in going to a clinic (especially at this price) to be told "great...good...fine", and would love to leave with practical ideas/exercizes to work on correcting our problems.

But it is funny...
                        pelham...check.
                        crooked...check.
                        inconsistent pace...check.
                        leaning and bad use of corners...check.
                        working all winter on trot/walk jumps to sloooow busy mare...check.

I can't wait...really...!! I think my coach would say I do listen and try, so I think we will be OK there. And I will certainly show him respect by turning out properly!

Comment

Looks like we'll be in the same session, but I'm only doing Sat. and Sun. I would like to do the 3' section, but I have a young horse and don't want to overwhelm him.

Thanks to everyone for the advice on what to expect. I audited his clinic several years ago when my friend (Three Bears Farm owner) rode in it, and I remember liking it, but I can't remember specifics.

It'll be my first clinic in several years. The last one I did was Bert Mutch, which I LOVED.

Comment

could someone explain to me the stirrup leather thing? I'm interested in trying that myself, but can't quite visualize how the stirrups stay on, since I keep visualizing them sliding off the end...

Comment

I really want to try that stirrup thing. He didn't do that with me even though I am crazy crooked, so I want to try that now!

One thing he did with me a couple times that I've seen him do at clinics with others is take the reins over the horse's head, then have you hold them like handles (I don't know how to explain this - the buckle of the reins is under the horse's neck- you are holding the reins normally but the bight is under the neck instead of looped to one side or the other). It really forces you to follow the horse (and keep your hands closed. haha!)
                              "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Originally posted by FlightCheck View Post
                                could someone explain to me the stirrup leather thing? I'm interested in trying that myself, but can't quite visualize how the stirrups stay on, since I keep visualizing them sliding off the end...
                                I tried to look through the archives from my clinic because there was a girl jumping so far ahead you could see the leathers across the seat, but they aren't up anymore...

Anyway, your left stirrup is buckled to your right stirrup and vice versa, so that both leathers form a large loop, with the stirrups in the loop. He gets the length correctly, and then lays it flat across the seat of the saddle, with the buckles adjusted down by the stirrup, and then you sit on the leathers. If you lean, the stirrups aren't connected to the actual saddle, so its going to give, almost like riding in a bareback pad, or a saddle with a loose girth.

Clear as mud? its really hard to explain, but a really effective exercise. He says every rider should do it at least once a month to "check" yourself for any leaning issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Roisin View Post
                                  Thanks all! Should be interesting as many things described in your posts are definitely pain points for us! But I think that's actually great...I have no interest in going to a clinic (especially at this price) to be told "great...good...fine", and would love to leave with practical ideas/exercizes to work on correcting our problems.

But it is funny...
                                  pelham...check.
                                  crooked...check.
                                  inconsistent pace...check.
                                  leaning and bad use of corners...check.
                                  working all winter on trot/walk jumps to sloooow busy mare...check.

I can't wait...really...!! I think my coach would say I do listen and try, so I think we will be OK there. And I will certainly show him respect by turning out properly!
                                  Just practice using your corners I think that is the one thing that really gets on his nerves.

He doesn't mind a pelham, if that is what the horse needs. In my case, we had a pony that was strong, so we bitted her up to keep her under control. In reality, what he noticed is that she was rushing because she felt trapped, and the more "bit" the worse she got. brought back down to a mild snaffle, and she was much more confidant, so didn't feel the need to "take charge" if that makes sense. There were two people with pelhams at the last clinic, and one in my last clinic (in 2009).

When I took my extremely sensitive over-reactive TB mare, he took her from a full cheek Dr. Bristol (that I thought was the same as a french link), into a herm Sprenger Duo ring rubber mouth snaffle, and I actually was getting contact!

And he's definitely a hotty My students mom was in shock at how young he was, she had George Morris pictured in her head.

Comment

Originally posted by lisa View Post
                                    Looks like we'll be in the same session, but I'm only doing Sat. and Sun. I would like to do the 3' section, but I have a young horse and don't want to overwhelm him.

Thanks to everyone for the advice on what to expect. I audited his clinic several years ago when my friend (Three Bears Farm owner) rode in it, and I remember liking it, but I can't remember specifics.

It'll be my first clinic in several years. The last one I did was Bert Mutch, which I LOVED.
                                    ENVIOUS!

Sounds like the youngster is coming along nicely... you must send me pics!
                                    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Jumper_girl221 View Post
                                      And he's definitely a hotty My students mom was in shock at how young he was, she had George Morris pictured in her head.
                                      Additional note to self...send DH home after he hauls us to the farm and tell him to come back Sunday afternoon...check. :-)

I am going to try the stirrup leather thing this weekend. This is one of the things my friend liked so much about his clinic...he had many practical tricks/exercizes/interesting things to try based on what issue he was trying to fix.

Very much looking forward to his thoughts on bitting with my mare. I didn't assume he was a pelham-hater based on comments, just that he might want to see how things went with a snaffle.

Comment

Originally posted by Roisin View Post
                                        Additional note to self...send DH home after he hauls us to the farm and tell him to come back Sunday afternoon...check. :-)

I am going to try the stirrup leather thing this weekend. This is one of the things my friend liked so much about his clinic...he had many practical tricks/exercizes/interesting things to try based on what issue he was trying to fix.

Very much looking forward to his thoughts on bitting with my mare. I didn't assume he was a pelham-hater based on comments, just that he might want to see how things went with a snaffle.
                                        Twill depend This year's clinic, he put one of the girls on a big heavy QH in a gag.

Comment

Working...
                                        X