Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

GM is nothing but a bully.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always read these GM threads post by post instead of skimming....I agree with so many posters here, the for and the against.....and for the most part agree with most comments. There is really no need to belittle a person, even one who misses something.

My daughter has ridden with GM and I've watched several clinics. All contacts with the man were positive and as long as his students listened and showed an attempt at trying to achieve what was being asked, he had all the patience in the world. One difficulty was hearing what was being said as his voice is somewhat wavering these days, and in the big arena it faded. He also used some terms that our group was not familiar with, kept repeating the instruction, without clarifying - he called a fence 'the gate' and they thought he meant the in gate or something.

Another BNT came here and gave a free clinic for some hand picked riders - he was clearly frustrated because he started out his clinic with some basic patterns. Some yielding, transitions, and simple stuff, to get the horses listening and to assess the riders. Hardly any of them could do the basics, even though they were from the
    'higher' end of local riders....they lacked a lot, and I see this with GM, and his frustrations, too.

We love the man - he is funny and perceptive and STILL can get on any horse and make it perform better than its regular rider.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by ivy62 View Post
      For those of you deep in h/j world you may not know the name but check out Denny Emmerson. Another icon that has a huge resume and he does not treat people like that. He always addresses fitness and what is best for the horse. They are from the same generation of riders but Denny has crossed different disciplines and is very active and available to everyone that can get to him. No need to be rude. He is friendly and wonderful with kids just starting out and with ammy adults too... He does not need the fear factor...
      I wouldn't be so quick to say this unless you've ridden with him. Maybe you have but my experience has been that he has no tolerance for rider fear or if he perceives a "lack of talent" on the part of you or your horse. If you read his book you will see that message in every chapter: if you ain't got the money, horse, or time, you better pick up golf cause you ain't getting anywhere and are wasting everyone's time.
      Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
      you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

He may not be a saint, none of them are but he is easy to get to and more willing to work with younger kids... We had a horse that went to some of his clinics and shows and it was always a good learning experience.
        Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
        Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
        "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Comment

Originally posted by soloudinhere View Post
          I wouldn't be so quick to say this unless you've ridden with him. Maybe you have but my experience has been that he has no tolerance for rider fear or if he perceives a "lack of talent" on the part of you or your horse. If you read his book you will see that message in every chapter: if you ain't got the money, horse, or time, you better pick up golf cause you ain't getting anywhere and are wasting everyone's time.

This.

Coming from a childhood of Pony Club and eventing, I followed Denny on Facebook for awhile. Eventually, I had to hit the 'Stop Following' button because I just got so sick and tired of all his posts b!itching about riders who were afraid, riders who weren't putting enough time into riding because HE rode every day even when he was a teacher and HE would ride in the dark, by the light of his car headlights, blahblahblah, and how "kids these days" weren't real horsemen and didn't do things how HE did "back in the day". For Chrissake man, shut up. I'm not going to follow the word of a man who seems to believe that most riders these days are not up to snuff because they can't manage to ride 6 times a week or are nervous in the saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by alternate_universe View Post
            This.

Coming from a childhood of Pony Club and eventing, I followed Denny on Facebook for awhile. Eventually, I had to hit the 'Stop Following' button because I just got so sick and tired of all his posts b!itching about riders who were afraid, riders who weren't putting enough time into riding because HE rode every day even when he was a teacher and HE would ride in the dark, by the light of his car headlights, blahblahblah, and how "kids these days" weren't real horsemen and didn't do things how HE did "back in the day". For Chrissake man, shut up. I'm not going to follow the word of a man who seems to believe that most riders these days are not up to snuff because they can't manage to ride 6 times a week or are nervous in the saddle.
            Don't forget constantly belittling hunter riders as all that is wrong with the horse world, too. I also "unliked" his page and stopped following, the man is bitter, mean, and looks at the past through some strongly rose-colored glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post
              I agree.

There are other people who can teach effectively. This era of verbally abusing people needs to be over.

This is not the example we should be holding up to our young riders, or to anyone else.

Just wanted to throw in a vote ... because yes this thread won't really be a discussion to follow.
              Perhaps you should tell our military that they need to lighten up. Because AFAIK, they still tear you down and then build you back up. You are brutalized in boot camp, but come out the other side knowing how to follow instructions and orders, knowing the skills you need and how/when to apply them, and you develop a backbone.

There was nothing wrong with the military era riding instructors then, and there isn't anything wrong with them now. The PROBLEM in this country is that we have too much hand holding, too much touchy feely, too much "poor widdle you" where what we need is riders with a command of the basics, unwillingness to compromise the ideal, and perseverance in life and riding. Because we DONT have a lot of this, the depth at the top of the game is very shallow, and not getting much deeper.
              Laurie

Comment

I haven't read the posts but I can tell you this. I absolutely will not tolerate abuse of any kind from a riding instructor (not that I like it from others but I CHOOSE my riding instructor). If I am going to respect them, they need to respect me. Plus I learn a whole lot better from someone who can tell me the straight truth in a respectful manner.

Comment

Originally posted by alternate_universe View Post
                  This.

I would have likely unfollowed as well, but I do agree with his comments on riders that don't want to put in the hours. If you want to be good, you will not have a problem "finding" time. I understand his frustration in that department, as too few people truly understand the mileage it takes to improve and become competent as a rider. I have nothing against nervous riders, I've lost my nerve and I understand how utterly miserable it is, but it kills me to hear someone who has fear issues whine and complain but when it comes down to it they pass up the opportunities to better themselves, they don't want to do what it takes to get over their fears.

This is not a "kids these days" thing, it is an old problem.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Comment

Originally posted by lauriep View Post
                    Perhaps you should tell our military that they need to lighten up. Because AFAIK, they still tear you down and then build you back up. You are brutalized in boot camp, but come out the other side knowing how to follow instructions and orders, knowing the skills you need and how/when to apply them, and you develop a backbone.

There was nothing wrong with the military era riding instructors then, and there isn't anything wrong with them now. The PROBLEM in this country is that we have too much hand holding, too much touchy feely, too much "poor widdle you" where what we need is riders with a command of the basics, unwillingness to compromise the ideal, and perseverance in life and riding. Because we DONT have a lot of this, the depth at the top of the game is very shallow, and not getting much deeper.
                    Lauriep,
                    I was just coming on to say the same thing. I'm an Army (non-combat) veteran. I would dearly love to have a riding instructor like George Morris. I don't want an riding instructor to be my friend -I want them to teach me to be a better rider. He sounds like an old-school Sergeant Major to me. I've left instructors because they were too nice.
                    If he was trained by mounted cavalry instructors, then he probably absorbed the ethos that you come down especially hard only on those who you think have potential; as an NCO, you show you care for those in your charge by doing everything in your ability to provide them with high-quality exercise, discipline, and motivation, so that they will reach their full potential, down to the muscle memory level. It is always better to be respected than to be liked. If you don't think that they have potential, then there's no point is wasting your time and energy on them.
                    Best,
                    Amber
                    PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

Fortunately there are all types of instructors for all types of learners. Everyone should find a trainer whose style works for them. I don't understand why this idea is so contentious? Different strokes for different folks and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Here are my thoughts from the January thread where we talked about the exact same crap.

I would venture a guess that there is a heck of a lot of assuming going on when it comes to George Morris. People assuming that he's a H/J "god" and is to be worshiped unconditionally. They worship him in order to be with the "in" crowd and to sound like they know what they're talking about. Others assume that he is a verbally abusive, condescending jerk who can't ride in advanced age. They speak out against him in order to be the fresh, kinda hip and edgy voices of dissent and to make a statement. They want people to think they're cool because they know better than GM. Both are equally ridiculous.

He's a man and subject to human faults at times. That being said, he can ride better than me upside down and blindfolded, and I have never witnessed him put a horse in an impossible or dangerous situation. I would be thrilled to have the opportunity to ride with GM, but that's the beauty of having more than one trainer in the US at any given time...if he's not your cup of tea, then seek out someone else.

And Denny's no perfect being either, so we can go ahead and bring him off the pedestal too.
                        War Horse Blog
                        Blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse

Comment

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XfmVBmDKLZI
                          Drill Sargent therapist

Comment

Because we DONT have a lot of this, the depth at the top of the game is very shallow, and not getting much deeper.
                            If the depth at the top is so shallow according to you, why did Robert Ridland say this in a recent Chronicle article, "I will be so bold as to say that I could make two teams of five riders from our short list and be competitive with both in Normandy. We're in a wonderful situation. Of course it made team selection a little more difficult, but that's a great problem to have".

Comment

Have audited a George Morris clinic and did not see abuse - was he stern absolutely, demanding definitely, politically incorrect certainly - but so long as a rider was listening and trying so was George Morris. Would I ride with him, no I do not have either enough skills nor a tough enough skin But I would certainly audit again.

That being said, reading this thread, I have seen more than a fair share of abuse from a variety of trainers. Personally tearing people down without providing any insight on how to do it right. I do not agree with the idea that it is necessary to tear people down to make them better (there are a limited number of individuals where that works, but in most cases its more destructive that constructive). There is a difference between honest constructive criticism and cruelty and too few trainers seem to understand the difference. Not at all sure that the military model should be lifted wholesale here - its purpose is difference. Demanding and degrading are two different things. Setting high standards and demanding rigor is not the same as personally derogatory comments entirely unrelated to the task at hand. Most people live up (or down) to the expectations of their instructors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukluk View Post
                                I haven't read the posts but I can tell you this. I absolutely will not tolerate abuse of any kind from a riding instructor (not that I like it from others but I CHOOSE my riding instructor). If I am going to respect them, they need to respect me. Plus I learn a whole lot better from someone who can tell me the straight truth in a respectful manner.
                                You go Mukluk!

Comment

Do you know what the suicide rate for veterans is Laurie? There is a long standing problem of racist, sexist, homophobic, and violent abuse in the military which that institution is trying to address to their credit. Not everyone comes through the process with the "backbone" you imagine. I am not equating GM's history of verbal abuse with boot camp, nor a rider's humiliation with a combat or non-combat veteran's trauma, but you as you invited the comparison perhaps we should say that the "PROBLEM in this country" is that there isn't enough hand holding and services for our veterans.

And at any rate, it looks as if the new chef d'equipe is doing great and the pool is perhaps not as shallow as the GM clinic machine maintains.

Comment

AGREED vote with your WALLET!
                                    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

I would gladly give GHM my last dime.....
                                      "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                                      carolprudm

Comment

Originally posted by justathought View Post
                                        Have audited a George Morris clinic and did not see abuse - was he stern absolutely, demanding definitely, politically incorrect certainly - but so long as a rider was listening and trying so was George Morris. Would I ride with him, no I do not have either enough skills nor a tough enough skin But I would certainly audit again.

THIS.

I rode in a clinic with George Morris earlier this year. He was tough but fair. The only time I saw him get upset is when he thought riders weren't paying attention. In some cases, I think he did this to shock people into being better listeners. They was absolutely NO room whatsoever for dilley-dallying. If it was your turn to go through an exercise you better be ready to ride through it.

The only person he was really tough on in my group was someone who showed up 5 minutes late. He gave that person a very strong lecture and picked on them for the rest of the clinic.

I don't think he even minded that much if people made mistakes as long as they were making a concerted effort to learn and improve. I'm living proof of that. I made some mistakes in the exercises, and he groaned to the audience about this. However, when I finally got it right, he was quick to praise.

and the man can still ride. He got on my horse during the clinic and of course looked amazing. I hope I can ride 1/100th as well as him when that age. Or, just to be able to ride at all...

Comment

Didn't we just get rid of an Olympic coach for saying something similar to a team candidate?
                                          breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

Working...
                                          X