Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

GM is nothing but a bully.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having just spent close to a month travelling with GM and being his assistant in clinics for that time, being with him on a daily basis...this whole thread makes me chuckle!

George is George...end of story. He has had so much success because of being himself. After being there for so many clinics, I can see why he gets so frustrated...many riders just dont LISTEN or TRY. As long as you listen to him, pay attention, and TRY to do what he says, you are good as gold! It is those that do not do what he says that get in trouble! As quick as he may be to "insult" (which really, its not insulting, its making the rider WAKE UP...9 times out of 10, when George "insults" a rider the next time the rider does it perfectly...they just need a wake up call!) he is just as quick to give a compliment!!

If you can't take the "stress" of his clinics, dont watch and dont participate. There are plenty other clinicians out there that just baby the riders...and in my honest opinion...riders need to be TOUGH..and babying them isnt goint to make them tough. They need to have thick skin and get the job done. Being put into a "stressful" situation in which they need to ride to the challenge makes a rider tough.

"dumbell" is far from an insult....as others said, walking out of a clinic as the worst thing that was said is a huge compliment within itself.

as for the fat comments...yes, he does say them, sometimes they are 100% accurate, sometimes they arent so accurate, but as said before...he is what he is, he preaches what he believes in...he is in his 70s (i wont quote exact age) and he works out DAILY, watches what he eats, and focuses on his fitness. So his belief is, if he can do, people younger than him can...and that is something i completely believe in as well!! Does that make me a bully?!?
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Comment

Originally posted by sonomacounty View Post
      From doublesstable:

Question:
      Is it right or effective to use insults as a method of motivation?

Answer:
      No right answer - each person and teacher is different.
      ----

Agreed...for me, insults are a HUGE motivation...I do NOT do well under the babying philosophy...I would MUCH rather hear what I did wrong, then what I did right. How will I improve if I only hear compliments?!

To each his own.
      "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Comment

BHRunner, thanks for sharing. It's clear with GM "insults" are motivation.

Comment

Originally posted by bhrunner06 View Post
          Agreed...for me, insults are a HUGE motivation...I do NOT do well under the babying philosophy...I would MUCH rather hear what I did wrong, then what I did right. How will I improve if I only hear compliments?!

To each his own.
          Insults are different than being told what you did wrong.

Examples:

Insult: Your an idiot, your circle is horrible.

What did you learn from this? Well, your circle is not correct, but what is wrong with it?

Correction: You are making an oval shape, not a circle and it is 30M, not 20M.

What did you learn from this? You learn exactly what you did wrong. With this, you can correct your mistake.

I would find any trainer, Mr. Morris included, to lack communication skills if he needs to resort to name calling. I am sure he knows a lot, but this makes him only human and probably not the best teacher out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajierene View Post
            Insults are different than being told what you did wrong.

Examples:

Insult: Your an idiot, your circle is horrible.

What did you learn from this? Well, your circle is not correct, but what is wrong with it?

What did you learn from this? You learn exactly what you did wrong. With this, you can correct your mistake.

I would find any trainer, Mr. Morris included, to lack communication skills if he needs to resort to name calling. I am sure he knows a lot, but this makes him only human and probably not the best teacher out there.
            I agree...but when a trainer, George included, as givent he construction criticism time and time again on the same subject matter, to no avail, it gets frustrating...thus resulting in an "insult"...

and again, to each his own...personally, for me, he IS the best teacher out there. obviously others think differently

Comment

I am sure he knows a lot, but this makes him only human and probably not the best teacher out there.
              But he has demonstrated decade after decade that he *is* the best teacher out there.

He didn't get to where he is today without being the best. And that's been proven time and time again with his students' records.

He might not be the best teacher for every personality rider out there. More sensitive or easily offended people might not agree he's the best for them.

Now is he the best because of his style or despite it? Who knows? But the proof is in the pudding and for as long as I've been alive (and I'm not young) he's been making more medal worthy puddings than any other teacher out there.
              You jump in the saddle,
              Hold onto the bridle!
              Jump in the line!
              ...Belefonte

Comment

Nothing personal...not to be insulting...

But only an IDIOT would make the statement that GM is NOTHING but a bully.

WOW.

WHAT A DUMBELL!

Comment

[quote=JustJump;5341926]Nothing personal...not to be insulting...

But only an IDIOT would make the statement that GM is NOTHING but a bully.

WOW.

WHAT A DUMBELL![/quote/]

Just Jump, you are my hero!

Comment

I only read the original post, because I know where the discussion would go..

However, two thoughts:
                    1. I have been called a lot worse by lesser instructors. I voted with my feet, and pocketbook, and found new instruction.

2. If you ride in a GM clinic, you'd better have a thick skin. It's no secret that he is a character. If you don't think you can handle it, even if you are a top equitation rider, don't ride in the clinic. Pretty simple.

(I would toughen my skin up in a hurry to ride with GM. He can call me whatever he wants, but I would LOVE the opportunity to learn from a person with his track record and experience. But I'm pretty sure he doesn't take long-stirrup adult riders. )

Comment

George is George...end of story. He has had so much success because of being himself. After being there for so many clinics, I can see why he gets so frustrated...many riders just dont LISTEN or TRY. As long as you listen to him, pay attention, and TRY to do what he says, you are good as gold! It is those that do not do what he says that get in trouble! As quick as he may be to "insult" (which really, its not insulting, its making the rider WAKE UP...9 times out of 10, when George "insults" a rider the next time the rider does it perfectly...they just need a wake up call!) he is just as quick to give a compliment!!
                      AMEN... and I couldn't agree more... it does act like as a wake up call!
                      Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Comment

The clinic is archived. I went and watched. It really didn't seem that harsh to me. It was not like the girl was first and might not have understood. It was about the 5th time through for her and GM continued to tell her "tighter spiral, tighter spiral" (GM loves to repeat words over and over like "contact, contact, contact or laig, laig, laig!") The other riders had spirallled into a near pirouette and she was riding a tightly bent 30m circle.
                        If the lesson kids at my barn went to ride with GM on schoolies, I might not expect stern criticism but these "kids" are jumping big jumps and complicated courses and aspire to be leaders in the sport. The expectation is higher.
                        During one exercise he had the riders turn their sticks up, like a race rider. It was when water jumps were introduced. He exempted one rider because the horse was overreactive. Fair enough, that's good horsemanship-don't fry his brain then ask a tough question. Then one of the other riders didn't "flip her stick" on the approach to the line with the big water jump and he asked her to halt and follow instruction. She did, and the line rode well.
                        F O.B
                        Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
                        Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

Originally posted by Ajierene View Post

Maybe I'm being "obtuse" for giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I am assuming this tactic was tried.

Simple distinction that no one is making:
                          Few believe "abusive" training is beneficial.
                          Many believe "dumbbell" is not an example of abusive.

A limited vocabulary, or simply no time to whip out the prose, and substitute "obtuse" for dumbbell, does not make this man a bully. If you want to debate his overall manner as a human then fine, but this instance is not legitimate ammunition.

I.e.: harp on the a$$holes out there that really are bullying their students and horses, and have absolutely no record to back up such a teaching style as "successful".
                          EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

Comment

Originally posted by jumpingmaya View Post
                            I didn't even read most responses... but I just want to say that it's people like THIS that are ruining this sport.
                            Be dedicated, pay attention, this is a professional SPORT and these kids were there by invitation. I believe this was said specifically to Molly and at the time- it was warranted.

IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT- GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!!!

This is absolutely ABSURD... put the big girl pants on or just ignore him all together. He has a LOT to offer and has done a LOT for this sport... if you would like to reinvent it... might want to start by proving yourself in the ring...
                            I couldn't have said it better.

Comment

My daughter participated in a GM clinic this fall. Yes, I saw instances where he yelled at and "insulted" riders and the jump crew. His frustrations were invariably about inattention. He expects riders to listen to his instructions to everyone, not just to what he says personally to them. If you're not listening to all his directions, then you're wasting his time and your opportunity.

At the end of the clinic, he addressed each rider separately with parting words. He told DD that she was an excellent student. She listened, she tried hard, and she noticeably improved. I think this is what GM is seeking of every rider, regardless of their skill level.

GM is dramatic and his comments are not PC. BUT WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF HIS CLINICS, they are effective in the moment and drive his points home to the rider and all those in attendance. This is what I have come to expect of GM and what we paid for, frankly. His approach works for my DD and obviously for many hundreds (thousands?) of others.

Comment

I agree...but when a trainer, George included, as givent he construction criticism time and time again on the same subject matter, to no avail, it gets frustrating...thus resulting in an "insult"...

and again, to each his own...personally, for me, he IS the best teacher out there. obviously others think differently
                                Thanks for chiming in! I agree with everything you have said. Not because I am a "sheep of GM" it's because being in the horse world for over 40 years; his methodology; what and how he teaches is RIGHT for me too....
                                Put your energy on what you want to grow!

Comment

This is totally unrelated to this particular George discussion...

But I watched some videos of his clinics that were posted on Youtube last night and I found it almost difficult to understand what he was saying when the PA system was really loud. I've never audited or participated in a clinic with him, but has anyone who has been AT a clinic noticed this? Or is it just the video muddling up his voice?

Comment

Some clinics are geared towards the riders, some more of a demonstration geared towards the spectators. In both cases it depends on the arena's mike system and George does have a rather quiet, somewhat wavering voice, and when my daughter rode with him that is what she felt, too. But she did pay strict attention and try.

However, finally, these last few posts offer a sense of reason. GM is who he is, he is THE legend and anyone who rides with him is privileged. There is a list half a mile long of do's and don't and his descriptions of the moves he wants you to understand, so the riders better study up or go back on some of these threads.

Just noticed the photos at the top rhs of this page....GM mounted and he looks great on a horse, plus some of the riders.
                                    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

found these on net

Quotes attributed to GM
                                      who is offended by these?

"If your horse lacks impulsion, cluck and use your spur. Don't pump. You look like an ape in labor on the top limb of a tree."

"This is riding, not tidle-winks"

"I'm going to teach you about men. Distances are like men. Never grab the first one you see; it's never the best one, more will come along."

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect."

"Don't be distracted by criticism. Remember the only taste of success some people have is when they take a bite out of you"

"Don't be afraid to show off on course. You will be rewarded for brilliance. Not reckless brilliance, but natural brilliance. Don't be sheep."

"If riding were only blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit a long time ago"

"Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better then you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."

"i don't care about social class. i have social class"

"i get paid to do nothing, the excersises do the work"

"riding is first a sport and an art, not a business. that's why i make a lot of money"

"simplify! you are making things too complicated!"

"i don't care about your money"

"don't kick him! stop kicking your horse! we do not kick our horses!"

"when i started riding i was in Jurassic Park"

"STUPID CHILD!!!"

" You are clueless about riding!"

"I love you I love you I love you but I can't do it FOR you"

"children in the audience must be quiet or they must leave"

"if you have come here just to say you have ridden with george morris, i hate you"

"pay attention!"

"STICK that son-of-a-gun!"

"you are so self centered!"

"don't PET your horse! this is NOT a lovefest! this is not woodstock! we're going back to the 60's over there..."

" You are as dumb as a box of rocks!"

"Don't smile or smirk, look straight ahead, don't look at me!"

"You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"

"You are just a country jerk, don't waste my time going off course!

"You think you are so good. You are just a big fish in a very small pond, I would rather be a small fish in a big pond!"

"You are a floating piece of fur!

" BEAUTY FADES, BUT DUMB IS FOR EVER!"

"save those disco spurs for dancing"

"You are young and dumb."

"Sit deep in the crotch and flow!"

"This saddle is a ball crusher!!!"

"You're not a learner are you?"

"Talking to you is like a brick wall."

"that mare must be a lesbian, because she certainly needs a good licking"

"You will be on this earth a short while, you will be dead for a long time, but if you are stupid, you will be stupid forever."
                                      www.hartetoharte.org
                                      Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

Comment

Spirithorse--some are okay, some depend on the tone in which they were said, and the wrong person in the audience will get his ass sued if he uses the lesbian remark. (That one's just inappropriate.)

One I hear a lot is a variant on the "When you're as good as so-and-so you can X". That one depends entirely on the tone, but mostly it's funny as I've yet to hear it used directed at someone who has any realistic chance to reaching the level of the person they're being compared to. (At dance, "When you're Yulia Zagoruchenko, you can cheat on how you settle into your hip. Until such time...")

And hospital or get back on is another that's gonna get him sued someday if someone decides to get back on when it really should be the hospital. Really, how many of us really don't use the best judgment about getting back on to begin with? I know I'm guilty, and even Evil Trainer didn't always approve of that....
                                        Author Page
                                        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                        Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

In the early 1980's, when I was about 13, GM schooled me for about 10 minutes at a horse show (I think he just couldn't help himself - I didn't know him but he clearly couldn't stand what I was doing wrong) and all he did was raise his voice (not yelling, just spoke in that distinctive voice a little louder). I will never forget him saying "oh little girl, little girl, on the brown pony, come here to me." He did not say one insulting or mean thing to me - actually didn't say much to me other than "now try this" and "again, again." I don't know why he decided to help a total stranger. But it was the best ten minutes of my life, until the day I got married.

BTW when I was a junior, we all knew when our trainer was mad or frustrated with us. She would call us "sweetheart" in an agitated, irritated tone of voice. "Sweetheart" was the equivalent of "you dumbbell" and we all knew it.

There's a local jumper trainer here in the neighborhood who will literally pull clients off their own horses, telling them "GET OFF!! YOU"RE RUINING YOUR HORSE!!" After seeing that, GM looks like a pussycat. I just hate seeing him get old.

I still have an official show program from Devon with him on the cover, jumping a 4' hunter, back in the Disco era. He's wearing a brown hunt cap, an odd pale tan/creamy colored jacket, rust breeches, and brown aviator shades (maybe they're prescription glasses than turn darker, I don't know, but they're not cute). Every time I read his jumping clinic column and heard him hammer people about traditional dress (please tell me he doesn't still require long sleeved button down shirts), I think of that cover, and would really love to point out his own past bad fashion choices.

Comment

Working...
                                          X