Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

We're Back!

We experienced a cyber attack that wiped out the site's content earlier this week via a software vulnerability, but the developers were able to restore everything from backups.

We updated our software to implement available patches and will be making further cosmetic changes to the site to restore it. Performance is slow right now, but by early next week, the developers will have restored a few optimization strategies they usually have in place to keep things percolating smoothly.

Going forward, we will make some changes to the site to limit the number of customizations we implement to the software, so that it is easier to keep current on updates and patches if they are released.

The developers do not believe that this was a "personal" attack, where someone is targeting the Chronicle's site with malicious intent against us specifically. These cyber jerks apparently just cruise the Internet, scanning for known vulnerabilities to attack.

They are confident passwords were not accessed, but even if they were, we store password encrypted, so that should not be an issue. Of course, if anyone has concerns about password security, changing related passwords is always an option for peace of mind.

Please report any glitches in a thread we'll be starting in the Help forum.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

GM is nothing but a bully.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM is nothing but a bully.

I almost hate starting this thread... as we've been down this road before, and I know where it will end up. But did anyone else catch the quote in the Chronicle's coverage of the Horsemaster clinic?

"But Morris was not pleased with the group's execution of the difficult exercise. "Tighten that turn, you dumbbell!" he barked to one rider. "I'm starting to think you're half-dumb. Don't waste my time.""

Really? REALLY??? Are you f-ing kidding me?

At what point does USEF say, "Thanks for all you've done George... but its best you ride off into the sunset now. Your mouth and unprofessional behavior no longer outweighs your considerable equestrian knowledge."

I don't know who he said that to, but he owes the young lady an apology. A SINCERE apology, with a promise to himself that he will never again sink to the level of calling students names that wouldn't be tolerated in Kindergarten. For all he preaches about how Americans have become so soft and undisciplined... you'd think he'd start by having the self-discipline to act in accordance with basic courtesy.

Look,... I have to admit, I've never thought GM was the end-all be-all of the equestrian world. But I have his books, and I acknowledge that he's a very knowledgeable guy. Knowledgeable enough that I totally understand why grown adults may decide to buy a set of earplugs, don their armour and go clinic with the man. But why are we subjecting our young riders to this crap? And why, as a profession that has SO MANY problems with professional behavior, is the USEF ENDORSING a man who cannot be relied upon to show basic manners?

I'm done. I used to think if I got the opportunity, I'd like to clinic with him. But now he really just makes my skin crawl. He's a bully. Nothing more. You take a young girl who has, "OMG" made the list of attendees... schleps herself and her horse down to Wellington, and tries her best to comply with your demanding exercises in front of hundreds of people... and you call her a dumbell. You're a class act George.

Go ahead defenders. Go ahead. Just try to defend this one as one more example of George "telling it like it is"... or being "colorful"... or not suffering fools. I'm waiting...

It makes me sick to my stomach.

Like you said this has been debated to death, and this is only going to turn into a train wreck. So you don't like him, your entitled to your opinion, just like everyone is. No one is forcing you to clinic with him or even regard him. I respect your opinion and have my own, that's part of free will.
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Comment

The sad thing it is video'd and made into a lifetime memory of that young girl being called that. It is not appropriate. Maybe they will mute that part before they start selling the dvd's. I don't think riding is for softee's but keeping in mind that this was being filmed some form of professionalism should be used. At his age the filter left long ago.

Comment

So hellerkm, the OP is not entitled to state her comments here because it might be a trainwreck. Tough crap, both sides are fair game.

Comment

GM

If that quote is correct, there is no excuse for that behavior. I have heard he can be tough but......treating a rider in that fashion is hurtful and just plain wrong. George is a horseman that is looked up to, he should keep that in mind when dealing with riders at a clinic, nothing is learned by those comments but hurt feeling and low self esteem. He has every right to be tough but constructive would create a good learning environment for all. It is like battered wife syndrome, they keep coming back so he will continue the behavior.

Comment

I bet you would never hear him say "you are half dumb for paying me to bully and put you down"

Comment

It seems to me that many people buy into the humiliation school of riding because GM is not by any stretch the only BNT who does this.

One of my trainers paid $$$$ to ride with a BNT. She came home and said, there's a man who's made a career out of insulting middle aged women!

Some people can still learn in that environment; I prefer not to be insulted unnecessarily because then I'm too angry to absorb the helpful things that person might say.
              Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
              EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

I can understand his frustration, these girls are picked as the best in the country, yet have HUGE holes in their training. That doesn't excuse the comment... I'm sure he wanted to say worse.
                www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on GM in general. BUT I will note that these young girls, and most young girls, already have issues with learning about their own self esteem, and learning to be confident young women. It's hard being a teen. I remember! I don't think it's appropriate for ANY adult to berate a young person like this. This could affect this girl internally into adulthood regarding her self worth, etc.

That being said, sure, you can be tough. But I don't think that was well executed by GM.
                  My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

George is not the kind of guy you go to if that kind of comment is going to bother you. If he believed the rider was not trying hard enough or not paying attention or whatever... that is the type of comment he will make.

As hellerkm stated - and pretty respectfully, IMO, so there's no need for any bashing - this topic comes up pretty much every time GM does a public clinic. Some people shrug and say, "hey, that's George," and others echo rileyt and say
                    (hey, at least GM didn't use the F word....)
                    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by rileyt View Post
                      I almost hate starting this thread... as we've been down this road before, and I know where it will end up. But did anyone else catch the quote in the Chronicle's coverage of the Horsemaster clinic?

"But Morris was not pleased with the group's execution of the difficult exercise. "Tighten that turn, you dumbbell!" he barked to one rider. "I'm starting to think you're half-dumb. Don't waste my time.""

At what point does USEF say, "Thanks for all you've done George... but its best you ride off into the sunset now. Your mouth and unprofessional behavior no longer outweighs your considerable equestrian knowledge."

I don't know who he said that to, but he owes the young lady an apology. A SINCERE apology, with a promise to himself that he will never again sink to the level of calling students names that wouldn't be tolerated in Kindergarten. For all he preaches about how Americans have become so soft and undisciplined... you'd think he'd start by having the self-discipline to act in accordance with basic courtesy.

Look,... I have to admit, I've never thought GM was the end-all be-all of the equestrian world. But I have his books, and I acknowledge that he's a very knowledgeable guy. Knowledgeable enough that I totally understand why grown adults may decide to buy a set of earplugs, don their armour and go clinic with the man. But why are we subjecting our young riders to this crap? And why, as a profession that has SO MANY problems with professional behavior, is the USEF ENDORSING a man who cannot be relied upon to show basic manners?

I'm done. I used to think if I got the opportunity, I'd like to clinic with him. But now he really just makes my skin crawl. He's a bully. Nothing more. You take a young girl who has, "OMG" made the list of attendees... schleps herself and her horse down to Wellington, and tries her best to comply with your demanding exercises in front of hundreds of people... and you call her a dumbell. You're a class act George.

Go ahead defenders. Go ahead. Just try to defend this one as one more example of George "telling it like it is"... or being "colorful"... or not suffering fools. I'm waiting...

It makes me sick to my stomach.

I think I love you.......

Comment

I guess I have thicker skin than most - but I don't think that the comment was that horrible or offensive. I found the OPs rant a bit of an over-reaction.

These riders are the top juniors in the nation - being steered towards international careers for the most part. They are going to have the confidence, the skills and the thick skin to get over the comment and learn from the lesson. And I don't think any of them went down there not prepared for some GM comments - it's not like people didn't know what to expect. Just my $.02.
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/Diva1998

"Reality has a liberal bias" - Jon Stewart

Comment

GM is rough around the edges and always has been but he is without a doubt one of the best trainers in the world. USEF like other sports organizations, chooses it's team coaches and clinicians based on results not how nice they are as a person. Would it be nice if he were a little more polite? Of course but until our country produces another trainer of his caliber, he will be the go-to guy.

From what I have seen, he actually seems to have toned it down a bit in recent years.

Comment

I notice that those of you posting about the "mean" comment he made haven't actually WATCHED the clinic in question. He did call the girl a dumbbell - he told her repeatedly to do something and she didn't do it. Later in the clinic she did something beautifully and he told her that too. I definitely wouldn't call his tone that of a bully.

And it's easy to mistake tone, especially when you already have your mind made up that "George Morris is nothing but a bully". But you didn't hear him say anything, you read it in an article and then projected your own tone and feelings onto it.

And these girls aren't that young. They're all pushing 18 and they all knew what they were signing up for.

If you honestly believe that GM is a bully, then I hope that you never ever try to participate in any other sports. Some of the things I've heard tennis and football coaches say to players who weren't listening would make your ears bleed. GM is a kitten compared to some of them.

And yes, GM sometimes comments about people's weight. Is it such a crime that he expects people to take their sport seriously? Would you be as offended if a ballet teacher or gymnastics coach made the same comments? Being overweight DOES effect your riding (ask me how I know) and GM has every right to comment on it.
                            Last edited by SaturdayNightLive; Jan. 7, 2011, 11:12 AM.
                            "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
                            -George Morris

Comment

Anyone that can't take a little criticism shouldn't be taking riding lessons, with GM or anyone else. I hardly think anyone is going to be scarred for life by the term dumbbell. And several of those riders are just plain rude, I've noticed some not even paying attention, or just wandering around on their horses as GM is riding. That is so disrespectful and a whole lot worse than being called a dumbell IMO.

I don't think GM is losing any sleep that rileyt is too thin skinned to want to ride with him either. Lots of deserving kids out there would be thrilled to get this opportunity.

Comment

Think we are about train wrecked out so no chance for this one.

GM is notorious for this, always has been and always will be when he feels a rider is not listening or is not prepared. Self esteem or not, some of these claiming to be "top level" riders and paying a ton of money to get in this type thing need a wake up call and so do their trainers-and a clinic with limited time is not a place to expect the warm fuzzies.

The USEF is NOT going to "get rid" of him as he turns out and/or works extensively with most of our International riders and they do pretty well under his guidance. No claims are made for his patience or willingness to work with those that do not listen or make the same mistakes over and over.

He is what he is and has been for the 50+ years he has been teaching. It's no secret and nobody is going to change him.

Actually, he has mellowed quite a bit and we have several posters who work with him regularly.
                                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
                                  I don't have an opinion one way or the other on GM in general. BUT I will note that these young girls, and most young girls, already have issues with learning about their own self esteem, and learning to be confident young women. It's hard being a teen. I remember! I don't think it's appropriate for ANY adult to berate a young person like this. This could affect this girl internally into adulthood regarding her self worth, etc.

That being said, sure, you can be tough. But I don't think that was well executed by GM.
                                  It's not George's job to stroke their self-esteem and promote their self-worth. He's there to help them improve their riding.

His teaching style isn't for everyone. I couldn't handle it. But at this point, it's hardly a secret that he can be harsh and direct with the criticisms. I am sure all those riders had a pretty good idea of what they might expect.

Comment

As others have said, these ladies knew what they were signing up for. In this day and age of self-esteem, only saying positive comments to kids, everyone's a winner, etc., it is pretty obvious how little of a backbone people have.

If you aren't confident in your abilities, then the comment GM made would hurt, and you shouldn't be there. If these girls have the confidence they need to be top world competitors, then they would pay attention and work harder to get his praise for accomplishing the task at hand.

GM could go about things a bit more tactfully, but this group is exeptionally fortunate to have the opportunity to learn from one of the greatest.

Comment

I think people need to keep in mind that GM is teaching the 'Young Rider's' and aspiring Pro's - the up & coming 'super-stars' - Olympians? You don't see NFL, or college football coaches, babying the athletes on the sidelines. Sorry, it's sink or swim. GM has brought along some great riders, if you want to play in his ring you will follow his rules. As ammy's watching, we have the right to turn off the live feed if it's not for us

FWIW, that girl's circles were huge, not anything like he asked for - and asked for repeatedly. Not 'super-tight' & the horse was overbent.

Comment

I audited a clinic with him last summer. It frustrated ME when one of the riders appeared to not even attempt to do what he was asking (which was to get off her horse's back). She didn't even TRY, it was like he was talking to a wall.
                                        Personally, I loved his comment quoted in the Chronicle "At my age I don't care about your happiness. Only mine."

I agree you go in knowing what to expect. If you can't (or don't want to) take it, don't go.
                                        We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
                                        www.dleestudio.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X