• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Longevity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longevity?

I'm considering buying a TB gelding who turns 13 this year.

He won't ever be jumped higher than 2'6"/2'9" or shown more than four or six times a year. My horses have 24/7 access to turnout and stalls for nasty weather, and we are lucky to have the services of an excellent vet/chiro/acupuncturist and a great dentist, as well as a trainer who is first and foremost a horsewoman.

Assuming that he stays sound and healthy, how many years of work might I be able to expect from him? If I buy him, he will have a forever home, regardless of whether he's rideable, but I'd like to be able to talk realistically with my DH about how long our newest family member could be earning his keep -- he might very well be my last horse. How many of you are riding elderly TBs?

My guy twisted an intestine and died in surgery @ 25. He was still being ridden and living in a situation similar to the one you have. 10-15 years is not out of the question.

Comment

I work with a 28 yr old TB gelding. He is quite the man! Owner agrees we don't jump him much over 2' anymore but he's be happy to jump all day long. Horses go much longer with vet advances. 13 just getting going!!

No more dumb 4 yr old accidents. Good wine ages well!

Comment

Lots of horses live and work with no problems well into their mid-20s, at least. My oldest, a blue collar TB who has had a job his whole life, still happily carts lower level riders around at 24 and will gladly show you how much gas is in the tank if you give him even half a chance.

However, once they are in their mid-teens, every year is really a gift, and not a given. Good care and management can certainly make the teen years happy and productive, but they are not a guarantee. That said, I suppose buying ANY horse is really a gamble...

If you like him and he appears suitable for the job you want him to do, that age would not prevent me from buying him.
        We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
        -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Please, please do it!!!! My parents bought me a very wise and wonderful schoolmaster (a TB) when he was 18. I rode him until he was about 27, and really just retired him because he got sick of work, even though he was still sound. He was with me until this past summer at the age of 34, and I wouldn't trade a second of the time I had with him. I probably learned more from him than any other trainer I've ever had. He is only one of the "older" horses that I can credit for teaching me over the years. Our 24 year old TB/QH just died this year as well, still in work until the day he died. I have a friend learning to jump on a 25 year old TB. And I have a 32 year old pony still showing over fences. Veterinary medicine has done amazing things to extend the life, and the useful life, of horses.

And if that doesn't convince you, this is the other important reason. A fantastic and very well-known vet pre-purchased Pookah for us, and he had the philosophy that you are actually far better off, soundness-wise, with a horse that is 12+ and has a performance record, and has stayed sound to achieve that record. The most likely scenario with these horses is arthritis, which is far more manageable than conditions that this horse has already proven not to be affected by (structural defects that limit performance, etc). There is, in many cases, greater risk in a 3 year that has not demonstrated that they can hold up to work and the rigors of showing. I've seen that theory proven over and over again, and had many horses stay sound and in work quite happily into their 20s. Assume that you will be spending some $ on maintenance-Adequan, etc, as he ages, but with a younger one you'd probably be spending that in training.

There's no guarantee with any horse--they could all go lame tomorrow. But, this horse has already held up to work. And, I hate to say it, but attempting to be pragmatic for a second, if he goes lame at 20 and you retire him, you're going to be supporting him for many less years than if he were a 4 year old with a catastrophic injury.

You sound like you are in an ideal situation-this horse is really in his late prime, not even aged yet, you are not going to be putting major demands on him, and you have access to an excellent care team--so you are certainly creating a favorable situation for 10+ years with this horse, and really, that's the best we can do--there are never promises with these d*mn creatures that we are so obsessed with :-).

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the encouraging feedback. Right now I have a 25-year-old QH (who, I've noted in other threads, thinks he's 7, although he's starting to show his age) and my current ride, an 18-year-old Welsh-Arab large whom I've had for six years. (My wonderful pony is unable to move up to a 2'6" division with me, but even if we can't find a little kid for him to cart around I will happily ride him here at home for fun and use him as Emergency Backup Horse.) We've also cared for my husband's 30-when-he-died QH; my first lesson horse, also in her 30s; and an ancient pony belonging to my trainer, so we're getting pretty good at coddling old folks!

I've known the TB ever since he came to my trainer's barn (trainer owns him) years ago. He's a special guy, and I am thrilled at the opportunity to have him -- I think I'm just experiencing before-the-fact buyer's remorse because it's a pretty good chunk of change for us and my husband has relented after initially digging in his heels, which is incredibly kind of him.

Comment

I bought my TB at 13. The woman I bought he from was Champion of the country twice in the A/O hunters. I was lucky enough to show him for four years. He then did the A/A hunters for a couple of years. I retired him sound. He died in his sleep peacefully, none of the shavings were disturbed when he was found in the morning.
              He was a wonderful horse, I loved him. I remember, when I was trying him, asking myself if hw was too old to purchase. I am so glad now that I bought him, what a horse.
              http://STA551.com
              845-363-1875

Comment

My boy is 17, but thinks he's 7. Still able to go rock a 3'6" jumper course no problem. He lives outside 24/7 now, but was in a stall with turnout until about 3 years ago. We laugh that he'll be carting some littel kid around a 2' jumper course when he's 30. Mare is 15, and does fine as well. My trainer has a lesson horse who is in his late 20s, and still teaches kids to jump. I think a huge part is the individual horse, but there's no reason they can't go on for a long time. I will let mine do it as long as they want.
                A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

I had a half-lease on a wonderful 20yo TB. Former prelim eventer, sound and energetic. He had just hit the point where he couldn't handle competition anymore, so his owner wanted him jumping no more than 3'. I'm sure he'll be going strong for years to come. I wouldn't hesitate on a sound 13yo, especially since you aren't looking for a horse to go up through the levels.

And frankly, anything can happen with any horse - I have a 29yo pony who I rode until he was 27, but just had to put down my 6yo a few months ago. That was not by any means the order I expected things to happen! All you can ever be sure of is that the horse is ok today.
                  www.kentuckysidesaddle.com

Comment

I leased a TB cross at 18; had him two years, and he jumped adult ammie courses all that time; after I gave him up, he did intermediate/childrens w/ a kid for another couple years; then someone else at the barn actually bought him and he did trail rides.
                    More recently I bought at 15 a TB dressage schoolmaster; never had injections, showed Prix St Georges for about 6 months ending last winter. I am his forever home but he is leased out to a woman showing first level and happy as a clam. I stopped the PSG work primarily because he has a heart issue and I didn't want to stress him. He is now 21, sound and likes a job.

I think so long as they are sound, they can go physically a long time provided they are kept reasonably fit and at a realistic work level.
                    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

My TB just turned 12 and just started his over-fences training. He was on the track until he was 10 and then spent most of his 11-year-old year laid up with various issues.

He's going like gangbusters now and I'm hopeful he'll be a solid 3' horse for the next several years.

Comment

I'm currently riding a very athletic 18 year old who LOVES to work!

Comment

You know this horse and have a sense about his soundness - and he sounds wonderful. However, I am on the other end of this. I have a wonderful OTTB who retired at 15. He owes me nothing - took care of DD from short stirrup through the 3' medals and then took care of Adult rider through long stirrup for another three years. He absolutely deserves the retirement he is enjoying. But he is retired because of soundness issues.

Make sure that this one is sound and comfortable and does not currently require much maintenance. And, then go ahead.

Just think that you should consider the downside as well.

Comment

Lets see here is what we have, what theya re doing and ages! A 23 yr old ex-jumper pasture retired by his owner, but still ridden occasionally. A 27 yr old TB that is retired but still does flatwork with his owner. A 22 yr old appie gelding that is still jumping and showing with kids over 2', a 25 yr old large pony gelding, still showing with his 7 yr old rider and doing 2'. A 15 yr old appie still jumping 3', a reitired 19 yr old appendix QH, healthy and was showing til two years ago when she developed a growth that prevent her from being saddled (fatty tumor) but still rides bareback. All of these horses look MUCH younger than their true ages! Old horses rock!
                            www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

My then 20 year old mare was Reserve Champion in my state association at 2'6" last year with less then a third of the number of shows the Champ went to. I bought her at age 10 that turned out to be 11. Got about 5 years out of her at 3' and then several GOOD show years at 2'6".

Unfortunately at age 21 screwing around in the field this past summer, she managed to blow a DDFT and is not going to be ready to even try to start back until this summer at age 22 and no way ready to show without another 6 months of rehab, a hock job and god knows what else.

Since this was my horse of a lifetime, I promised years ago I would never do that to her. I am blessed she is healthy and may give me some nice hacks in the years to come.

13 and with a known history as OP asked about with dreams of just a few shows a year at 2'6"? What a gem. Grab him and enjoy a great teacher and one you can trust.

Just be prepared something is going to take him out at some point. Maybe that will be 26. Maybe 18. But he has some great years left to share with you and can enjoy your gift of retirement at the appropriate time.

Can't think of a much better situation for both of you.
                              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I leased a (then) 20 y.o. TB gelding for my #1 daughter to do the local 2'6" division in. He was a real pro who had totally been there and done that in the big time at higher levels. There's know way I can put into words all that horse taught my daughter over the next few years. He probably would have been happy to keep going, but retired when the kid went off to school.

I bought a (then) 15? y.o. gelding for #2 daughter. He's another pro who has been a wonderful fit for that kid in their 3'-3'3" outings for the last couple years! He's the hardest keeper I've ever had, but I knew that going in because we leased him first.

BTW, I'm not sure where you are, but both of the guys I mentioned were and still are, turned out 24/7. They're very happy and I think it's a 'good thing' for them to be out and moving around as much as possible.
                                Y'all ain't right!

Comment

• Original Poster

OT: Findeight, I've been reading your comments for years now but just today noticed your sig line. You wouldn't happen to be from St. Louis, would you?

Comment

Tonight I rode my 25 ("legally" 26) TB mare. She prefers to be in work and loves it. Still has days where she needs to run, buck, and fart in the round pen before I can get on her. She is my heart horse. Do it!

Comment

• Original Poster

After getting my vet's final approval today, I wrote the check and brought my new guy home. Please send jingles for many happy years together.

Comment

yay congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X