• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

George Morris Clinic-Free Video Archive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #81
    I believe he just said 'get a pair' hahaha
    does anyone know who is riding what horse?

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #82
      GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:

      "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

      Comment


      • #83
        Originally posted by MHM View Post
        GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:

        "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

        Loves it!!!

        Comment


        • #84
          I haven't been able to watch much but I tuned in to see the big chestnut with the tiny, sorry looking tail jumping the S line...what horse is that and who's riding it? Anyone know? He reminds me of my horse (except the tail).

          Comment


          • #85
            Originally posted by MHM View Post
            GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:

            "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

            I have to say mine was "I dont care about your happiness" and he added he was too old to care.

            I'm not sure, but I think that has come out of my mouth before in my non horsey life

            Comment


            • #86
              Originally posted by Pelham321 View Post
              Is the replay working for everyone?
              I have sound, loud and clear, but the video won't keep up/play!
              That was my problem last night also.

              Comment


              • #87
                Anyone else think that GM rode that last horse just horribly???
                If you saw the kid on him first then saw GM you would have been mortified, especially if you were the kid!!
                http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

                Comment


                • #88
                  Originally posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
                  Anyone else think that GM rode that last horse just horribly???
                  If you saw the kid on him first then saw GM you would have been mortified, especially if you were the kid!!
                  I disagree. George will get on and ask more of a horse, really school it... while the rider is, most likely, trying to execute the exercises as smoothly as possible. Most of the riders are going to try to finesse their horses in a situation like that, not provoke and resolve things the way GM does. Far from indicating a "horrible" ride, the horses are usually significantly improved after George gets on them.
                  **********
                  We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                  -PaulaEdwina

                  Comment


                  • #89
                    This is great footage for any big eq rider who will compete at finals in front of him. Pelhams are fine, but an overbent neck isn't, so you better use it correctly (seems most probably can't! In GM world). He's more apt to forgive a less than perfect distance if you use your aids correctly and your horse is still happy to jump well for you. No doubt he wants a more forward pace. I could go on and on. No doubt most trainers have educated their students on this stuff, but it really hits home watching him teach. Also, I can apply it to my showing, as there are several judges that have spent a lot of time with him - and looking back, I can see the same prefrences.

                    Comment


                    • #90
                      Wow, I really enjoyed watching session 2 today and yesterday. No problems with the live feed, but I haven't watched the delay at all.

                      I was chuckling when I saw George cantering by and saying "No! No cell phones here" to someone outside the ring by the rail

                      Comment


                      • #91
                        Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
                        I disagree. George will get on and ask more of a horse, really school it... while the rider is, most likely, trying to execute the exercises as smoothly as possible. Most of the riders are going to try to finesse their horses in a situation like that, not provoke and resolve things the way GM does. Far from indicating a "horrible" ride, the horses are usually significantly improved after George gets on them.
                        Oh my!, you must not have seen it!

                        The rider was beautiful, It will be a long time before I see a counter canter serpentine like the one she did. It was amazingly well done. Then she went on to do more flat work with fly lead changes, just stunning. Then GM rode the horse, ears pinned, head elevated and forced, no use of back and and inversion to the point he quit responding to the aids and the horse began acting out, missing lead changes, moving sideways and GM was riding against the horse.

                        Do you considerthat asking more from the horse?

                        While I do respect GM for all that he does and is for our sport, I bearly could watch what I percieved as an unkind ride.
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

                        Comment


                        • #92
                          Anyone who audited/has in the past? How are the number of auditors? Are there TONS on Saturday?

                          Comment


                          • #93
                            I am watching the first session and what confues me is that:
                            1. I sadly never get to which rider he is talking! probably because i am not that familiar with all the kids....
                            2. Is it normal that you ride around the ring? I was taught to do many big round lines. But I am wondring about that part anytime I see a EQ class on youtube....

                            3. How long did the kids ride before the beginning of the session? Did they just warm up a bit or did they work the horses a bit by there self?

                            4. I do know that the american way of riding is waaay "easier" and "softer" than the european or espcially the german way....I saw some kids riding with the upper body very forward, some with a lite hollow back (if thats the correct expression). why not sit more up and more up to the vertical?

                            This is not supposed to be looked like I think it's wrong or so. It's just diffrent from what i was taught and see around here, so I would like to understand whats the logic behind it or the reasoning

                            Comment


                            • #94
                              Originally posted by LowerSaxony_Jumper View Post
                              I am watching the first session and what confues me is that:
                              1. I sadly never get to which rider he is talking! probably because i am not that familiar with all the kids....
                              2. Is it normal that you ride around the ring? I was taught to do many big round lines. But I am wondring about that part anytime I see a EQ class on youtube....

                              3. How long did the kids ride before the beginning of the session? Did they just warm up a bit or did they work the horses a bit by there self?

                              4. I do know that the american way of riding is waaay "easier" and "softer" than the european or espcially the german way....I saw some kids riding with the upper body very forward, some with a lite hollow back (if thats the correct expression). why not sit more up and more up to the vertical?

                              This is not supposed to be looked like I think it's wrong or so. It's just diffrent from what i was taught and see around here, so I would like to understand whats the logic behind it or the reasoning
                              I was "culture" shock too when I first saw him (years ago when I first came from Europe). Took me a few years to "understand" what he is all about- the HORSE.
                              He wants his riders to ride LIGHT so that it's easier for the horse. He wants you to be able to ride deep if you NEED to but no need to SIT on the horse consistently.
                              It's all for the horse's benefit!
                              Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

                              Comment


                              • #95
                                now i would think someone should start a student exchange like sending the top german youngster to ride with george ( or probably easier: invite him to germany) and get one of our top trainers to train with the american top youngsters and have both taped and even better have bother trainers at both clinics one giving the clinic and the other commenting it



                                .... I just thought I could never get my old horse together if i would have ridden him in a forrward kind of seat....at least i think i wuld have been bad

                                its interesting to see what GM puts in the spotlight when he rides and what i would say to my students......ahahah i think he should seriously come over to germany

                                Comment


                                • #96
                                  Has anyone watched the video replay from Jan. 4, "session 3"? Was wondering if we're watching Ann Kursinski the entire time, or do we get back to GM and the student riders?

                                  Comment


                                  • #97
                                    Lower Saxony - you should watch the Ann K video to watch a 'pro' demonstrate his preferred style. The kids are good, no doubt, but her video is probably a bit easier to understand.

                                    Comment


                                    • #98
                                      Originally posted by Lexus View Post
                                      I haven't been able to watch much but I tuned in to see the big chestnut with the tiny, sorry looking tail jumping the S line...what horse is that and who's riding it? Anyone know? He reminds me of my horse (except the tail).
                                      Don't know the horse, but the rider is Brittany Hurst.

                                      Comment


                                      • #99
                                        Originally posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
                                        Oh my!, you must not have seen it!

                                        The rider was beautiful, It will be a long time before I see a counter canter serpentine like the one she did. It was amazingly well done. Then she went on to do more flat work with fly lead changes, just stunning. Then GM rode the horse, ears pinned, head elevated and forced, no use of back and and inversion to the point he quit responding to the aids and the horse began acting out, missing lead changes, moving sideways and GM was riding against the horse.

                                        Do you considerthat asking more from the horse?

                                        While I do respect GM for all that he does and is for our sport, I bearly could watch what I percieved as an unkind ride.
                                        I saw what you saw.
                                        I have total respect for GM and all he does for our sport and how dedicated he is, etc. However I have watched him in person a few times and video, etc. and I do think sometimes he doesn't click very well with a horse and his style is much more aggressive than the horse's rider and the horse reacts. I have seen him bucked, etc. and I think he just a different style of riding and sometimes the horse's actual rider does a much better job. However in the end he is "teaching." (from his viewpoint)


                                        I would not want GM to get on my very finicky, flighty TB but she can go very nicely if you know her quirks, etc. Regardless GM is absolutely wonderful and I would never miss an opportunity to see him, but I am not so sure I would want to put him on my horse, she might just buck him off.

                                        Perhaps she should be better trained but I work with what I have and the sorry life she had before I got her, but would she be a good prospect for GM clinic?

                                        NOPE

                                        P.S. the horse that bucked him that I saw (though he expertly rode through it) He said to rider when he handed him back, " He likes you better anyway."
                                        Last edited by bizbachfan; Jan. 5, 2011, 07:00 PM.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by bizbachfan View Post
                                          I saw what you saw.
                                          I have total respect for GM and all he does for our sport and how dedicated he is, etc. However I have watched him in person a few times and video, etc. and I do think sometimes he doesn't click very well with a horse and his style is much more aggressive than the horse's rider and the horse reacts. I have seen him bucked, etc. and I think he just a different style of riding and sometimes the horse's actual rider does a much better job. However in the end he is "teaching." (from his viewpoint)


                                          I would not want GM to get on my very finicky, flighty TB but she can go very nicely if you know her quirks, etc. Regardless GM is absolutely wonderful and I would never miss an opportunity to see him, but I am not so sure I would want to put him on my horse, she might just buck him off.

                                          Perhaps she should be better trained but I work with what I have and the sorry life she had before I got her, but would she be a good prospect for GM clinic?

                                          NOPE

                                          P.S. the horse that bucked him that I saw (though he expertly rode through it) He said to rider when he handed him back, " He likes you better anyway."
                                          God bless!
                                          http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X