• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Shipping a tack trunk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a tack trunk?

I have never had to do this before, but I am in need of getting a new trunk shipped from SE Pennsylvania to Lexington KY. It is rather large and will in no way fit in my car on my way back home. It was a gift for christmas at my parents house in PA but my horse and all my things are in Lexington KY.

What are my options? I am weary shipping through a postal company , and honestly, woldn't it cost a fortune? It is rather large and heavy.

I appreciate any opinions or personal experience.
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Call a couple of the moving companies (Mayflower, Bekins, etc.) and ask for a quote. You'll need dimensions and approximate weight. These guys handle expensive furniture all the time and will have the blankets and equipment necessary to get it there without a scratch.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Comment

I work for a shipping company and yes it will not be cheap and would be best to box it, which I don't know how you can do unless it came in one. But you don't have many options unless you know someone who has a larger vehicle that might be going that way sometime soon.

Comment

Check out uship.com -- it's kinda like eBay but for shipping. People bid on transporting your item and you can often get things transported pretty cheaply. My husband used it when shipping his boat from SC to MD and it was great!
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Also call some of the horse transport companies (Brook Ledge, etc.), as they might have a trailer going from PA to KY, and could ship it if they have room (since they often take trunks that belong to horses on the van).
          Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Comment

I have shipped Tack Trunks by FED EX , The packaging part is the most difficult , You need to first at least wrap it in an old blanket, then Build a box around it , Use strapping tape, it is stronger then regular packing tape, then tie packaging rope ( nylon)around it so it can be lifted easier ( you can buy this at any menards or home depot type store ) weigh it, measure it and go to the FED EX website , it will tell you how much it will cost to ship , then have them pick it up at your location , Not a problem for them .. It cost me about $55.00 w/ Insurance for a full size wood trunk. Or you can go to a UPS shipping store where they can package it for you but it will cost you at least double from Fed Ex.

Comment

Depends on what size trunk it is. If it is a Phoenix West large trunk (or similar) then you will need to send it via a freight company. Phoenix West sends their large trunks on a pallet.

If it is a medium or smaller trunk it can be shipped via UPS, Fed Ex etc.

I second the van thing as Hubbard has a base out of Lexington and they are used to taking trunks along for the ride You might have to drop it off at a farm and then go pick it up at a farm but that wouldn't be too bad.

Also try the bus system. I know that sometimes they do larger freight like this and it isn't too expensive.

Comment

Would it be easier and cheaper to just rent a teeny little u-haul that you can pull behind your car?

I also second seeing if maybe having a horse transport co pick it up for you if they are close.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It was a gift from my dad and he custom built it so there is no box for it. It is huge. Bigger than the large one here http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...e-_-NA-_-16297 but the same style (only pink )

I emailed BRook Ledge, and was going to send more out tonight to similar equine shipping companies as I am thinking that may be my cheapest option. I am going to look into everything suggested too though. I have no problem dropping it off at a farm on their route here in pa and picking it up at another farm in KY. I have the ability to move it in the general area here and there as I have other vehicles in both places, but unfortunately I have to take the car I brought with me back

As for the uhaul, its not an option. 1 I dont have any hook up for a hitch at all, not to mention Id never make it up/through the hills/mountains in west virginia and western MD. My car struggles enough on its own :/ stupid bare bones honda civics.
                  True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
                  ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
                  ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Comment

Just be sure to insure it for full value. I shipped a trunk once with FedEx, they lost it. Only got a portion of what it was worth.

Comment

You could check with Amtrak. I have no idea how much it would be but it's worth a phone call at least.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241267371736

Comment

Oh, just remembered, you could try Greyhound Bus, they would be the least expensive. I shipped a Victorian porch swing and a French chandelier with them, they have a big storage compartment for shipping right on the bus. If they are convenient for you, it's a good way to go.

Comment

Working...
                        X