• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone live in Arizona?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone live in Arizona?

I'm looking for horse people who either live in or are familiar with Arizona. Although I'm not ready to move yet, in a few years, I plan on moving to Arizona. I'd love to study law at ASU (Arizona State University) for college. However, I can't see me ever giving up my horses, so they'll be coming to AZ with me.
    Seeing as I'd like to go to ASU, I was looking for houses in Tempe, AZ that either have a barn already built, or have land to build one on. However, I found very limited properties.
    So my two questions to you are, 1) Is Tempe not a good city to have horses, and eventually a show barn (once I retire)? And 2) If so, what are other cities to consider? (Somewhere that I could have horses and eventually a show barn, and somewhere not too far from ASU, as I wouldn't want to commute more than 45 minutes at the very most).
    I'm not at all familiar with AZ, so I don't know where 'horse country,' is. :P

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!

We just moved from there and I finished my degree at ASU. Horse property in Tempe will be very, very expensive. (As opposed to just 'very expensive' for the rest of it.) There are some enclaves left but they don't come on the market very often, plus you'll be boxed in.

Look further out in Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek to the southeast, Scottsdale, north Phoenix to the north. (I'm not as familiar with the west side, I'm sure there are suitable areas over there too.)

The road system is quite good so you can be pretty far out as long as you have access to one of the loops or freeways.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Comment

I am an ASU law grad and rode during law school. I sent you a PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by wsmoak View Post
        We just moved from there and I finished my degree at ASU. Horse property in Tempe will be very, very expensive. (As opposed to just 'very expensive' for the rest of it.) There are some enclaves left but they don't come on the market very often, plus you'll be boxed in.

Look further out in Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek to the southeast, Scottsdale, north Phoenix to the north. (I'm not as familiar with the west side, I'm sure there are suitable areas over there too.)

The road system is quite good so you can be pretty far out as long as you have access to one of the loops or freeways.
        Thank you! I will be sure to check there.

Comment

I don't even know of any horse property in Tempe, though it's possible there is some.

This map may help you for Phoenix-area geography:
          http://www.arizona-leisure.com/phoenix-area-map.html

The fancier places are typically in Scottsdale or Cave Creek. That could be about 45 minutes from Tempe for you if you have the right locations with easy access to the freeways and can avoid the worst traffic times.

Phoenix actually has some horsey communities. The homes all look about identical, aren't far from each other, but in the backyards are corrals instead of swimming pools. These neighborhoods then have community arenas instead of parks. Kind of fun, though not ideal to me - but makes it more affordable!

Are you set on ASU for any specific reason? I'm just curious. I'm in Tucson and tend to prefer it, but it's likely Phoenix would better support more show barns...
          Originally posted by Silverbridge
          If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by netg View Post
            I don't even know of any horse property in Tempe, though it's possible there is some.

This map may help you for Phoenix-area geography:
            http://www.arizona-leisure.com/phoenix-area-map.html

The fancier places are typically in Scottsdale or Cave Creek. That could be about 45 minutes from Tempe for you if you have the right locations with easy access to the freeways and can avoid the worst traffic times.

Phoenix actually has some horsey communities. The homes all look about identical, aren't far from each other, but in the backyards are corrals instead of swimming pools. These neighborhoods then have community arenas instead of parks. Kind of fun, though not ideal to me - but makes it more affordable!

Are you set on ASU for any specific reason? I'm just curious. I'm in Tucson and tend to prefer it, but it's likely Phoenix would better support more show barns...
            Thank you!
            I'm not 100% sure why I'm set on ASU. However, I do know that I'd love to live in Arizona. I used to live in Texas and loved everything about it. I was considering Texas A&M, but because of reasons I'd rather not discuss, I don't think I'd be happy living in Texas again. So my next choice was Arizona and ASU.
            My motivation is the fact that I need to get out of this New York weather before it drives me mad, LOL.. I've always been one for hot, humid weather!

When you say that Scottsdale and Cave Creek are 'fancier,' do you mean the houses, or the barns there? I'd like to have a fancy show barn, but I definitely don't need a fancy house. I'm actually just looking for something with 1-2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, and around 10-15 acres for my horses, because I don't plan on having kids or anything. :P

Comment

Honestly, ASU is a Good school. Net, I know you're for the UoA prolly :P (btw, my horse is getting better, so hopefully I'll run into you again!)

I was thinking about going to ASU for SW. But now I'm interested in doing Lawyer stuff.

EVERYTHING in Scottsdale and Cave Creek are fancier. Houses, horses, barns, trainers. Everything is going to be more expensive. Before I moved to Tucson,w e had looked into Scottsdale. We could afford a condo (my mom's a doctor too) and pay board on max of two horses. Granted, the barn was Very nice and the trainers were Very good trainers. And I'm not sure how easily you will find 10-15 acres in Scottsdale/Cave Creek. Tempe... probably. I haven't been much in that area. Just Scottsdale, Phoenix and Tucson.

Comment

Originally posted by bigeqxo View Post
                When you say that Scottsdale and Cave Creek are 'fancier,' do you mean the houses, or the barns there? I'd like to have a fancy show barn, but I definitely don't need a fancy house. I'm actually just looking for something with 1-2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, and around 10-15 acres for my horses, because I don't plan on having kids or anything. :P
                That is going to set you back a couple million for the land alone in the SE valley. I don't even want to think about what it would cost up in Scottsdale.

Here's a 10 acre undeveloped tract I used to drive by on my way to the barn: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6_M29550-79569

It's unlikely you'll find a house that small on a large parcel, and you may find that deed restrictions insist that you build something bigger.
                --
                Wendy
                ... and Patrick

Comment

You should just move to Tucson We're a bit cheaper! LOL

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks again!
                    Someone recomended Gilbert or Chandler, and after looking into those, they seem much more realistic.
                    Thinking about it now, I'm not sure I'd need 10 acres. The 8 acres we have now works well for us. However, we live in NY, and we need the land for grazing area for our horses. I'd imagine that in AZ the horses rely a lot more on hay than they do grass, LOL.

wsmoak - I probably should have worded that differently.. I wouldn't mind building/buying a bigger house.. in fact, I'd love to have one. However, if I can find a small house on a good piece of land for my horses, I'd still be perfectly happy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by crazyhorses View Post
                      You should just move to Tucson We're a bit cheaper! LOL
                      I'll look into that! Not sure what the commute would be to ASU, though (like I said, I know nothing about the geography of AZ).. and I've kind of got my heart set on that school, LOL.

Comment

There is actually a branch of ASU down here. I'm not Totally sure if they offer Everything though.

Comment

• Original Poster

There is actually a branch of ASU down here. I'm not Totally sure if they offer Everything though.
                          I'll see if they have any information on their website later.

Comment

Honestly, ASU is a Good school. Net, I know you're for the UoA prolly :P (btw, my horse is getting better, so hopefully I'll run into you again!)

I was thinking about going to ASU for SW. But now I'm interested in doing Lawyer stuff.

EVERYTHING in Scottsdale and Cave Creek are fancier. Houses, horses, barns, trainers. Everything is going to be more expensive. Before I moved to Tucson,w e had looked into Scottsdale. We could afford a condo (my mom's a doctor too) and pay board on max of two horses. Granted, the barn was Very nice and the trainers were Very good trainers. And I'm not sure how easily you will find 10-15 acres in Scottsdale/Cave Creek. Tempe... probably. I haven't been much in that area. Just Scottsdale, Phoenix and Tucson.
                            If I stayed in-state I would have gone to ASU - they offered me a whole lot more. So I'm not totally anti-ASU.

I just think Tucson's a LOT easier to afford land and get started in.

I did specifically mean the fancier barns tend to be in the Scottsdale/Cave Creek area, but everything's fancier there. The folks willling to pay $$ for nice horses and great training are also more highly concentrated in that area.

The U of A has a law school, too, if you haven't seen anything about it yet.

Personally, if I were going to law school and moving somewhere, I would prefer other schools to either. As a local, I'd rather go to the U of A because this is where I live. But my family's mostly Ivy law, and I got tired of teaching the law students how to do legal research while I was in high school, so I'm biased...

H - I look forward to seeing you at the barn again soon! Looks like we won't be moving the horses to our house in the very immediate future, so I should still be there.
                            Originally posted by Silverbridge
                            If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

I live in chandler and have a small boarding barn.10-15 acres will cost you several million dollars undeveloped even out here. Good luck even finding that amount of land honestly. The biggest show barn around here was 12 acres and it was just foreclosed on. I have less than 3 acres that had very little horse set up and an 1800 sq ft house that needed a remodel and was just over 500k after the market crash. During, this property was listed at just south of 1 million. The house around the corner with less land was 1.2 ... Try Queen Creek, the pinal county side. if you want a larger property, but out here in valley, horse keeping is pretty different than back east as we just do not have that amount of open land in the suburbs. I honestly don't know of any real "show" barns in Tempe. I know of a few equestrian neighborhoods and one more backyard type barn. That's about it. Tempe is by far a college town. There is no shortage of fancy barns in north scottsdale/ cave creek

I have several friends who are asu law school graduates. One now works for the justice project. They all loved it. I grew up back east but love it here in AZ. I'm sure you will too!

Comment

I live on a 2 1/2 acre horse property in a county island on the Gilbert/Queen Creek border. There are some pretty good deals to be had on foreclosed properties right now - a friend recently paid in the low $300k for a 2,500 sq.ft house on 3 acres, for example. Land, however, is still expensive. The empty 2 1/2 acre lot on our street is listed at $200,000.

Many horse properties are only 1 1/4 acres and 2 1/2 acres is considered good. Anything over that is much harder to find and very expensive. 10 plus acres definitely puts you in the 7 figure range unless you move way out. Our neighbor actually turned down $1.4 million for a 2500 sq. ft. house on 5 acres at the height of the market. Covered arenas are good for summer, but few private properties have them.

We looked at horse properties in the Tempe area, but they tend to have less land and are way more expensive. They are also further away from any of the good H/J trainers.

Irrigation is a big factor to consider, given our lack of rain, if you want grass pastures. The south east valley has a much higher percentage of properties with irrigation than Scottsdale and Carefree etc.

You might want to consider renting while you look for your perfect property. Many people are leasing rather than selling right now, or are offering lease to buy options.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!
                                  It's very interesting to hear that 2.5 acres is considered good 'horse property'! Our 8 acres that we have now is considered small here! And then there's Texas (where I used to live), where 20 acres is considered small.. LOL.
                                  I'll be sure to keep this all in mind while looking!

One more question for you, while we're talking about it.. in order for me to have, say, a 20 stall barn (weather or not I end up with 20 horses there, I'd like around that size just in case) how little acres would you say I could realistically get away with without pushing it, to house the barn area, an arena, and a small house? If you feel like I'm getting annoying, don't be afraid to tell me to knock it off with the questions, LOL. It's just that I've found out just how different things are compared to here!

Comment

You need to pay very close attention to how the property is set up. Make sure every inch is usable and the house and front area isn't taking up half your land. I have almost, but under 3 acres and I have a 14 stall pipe barn, and a row of three more stalls detached. I have four pastures, a 90x120 arena, and a decent sized round pen and I use every single inch of land I have to make this work. Ide say for what you want, you should be looking at a minimum of 3 1/2 acres, 5 would be good. The 12 acre property i referred to earlier had over 60 horses on it at one point. No turnout, obviously. If you can offer decent turnout, you will be ahead of the game. You can still find a decent amount of 5 acre properties in the Gilbert/Queen Creek area, and the further out you go the more economical it is. The properties are just as nice, if not nicer and newer than in the more centrally located areas of the valley. I wish I had bought a little further out looking back on it. Prices can vary wildly in the same town just depending on what side youre on. For instance, I'm in chandler ( barely ) about a mile from the Gilbert border. The house right across from me was a fixer upper with 1 1/2 acre and just sold ( quickly) for 330k .. The undeveloped 5 acres around the corner is on the market for 1 million. But if I drive 15 minutes to the far side of Gilbert , its much cheaper, and the area is very nice and quiet, while I live across the street from and airport lol. Look in the power and chandler heights area specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by bigeqxo View Post
                                      Thank you!
                                      and around 10-15 acres for my horses, because I don't plan on having kids or anything. :P
                                      wooo I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but... 10-15 acres in that area is going to be HARD to find! Most people keep their horses on much smaller acreage. I would venture a guess that the fancy schmancy barns are lucky to get a 15 acre lot.

Comment

I thought about commenting earlier, but didn't want to hijack. I can't resist, though! This is a really great thread for me as I am considering Arizona State for their Graduate Public Affairs program.

I would love to find a H/J barn in the Scottsdale/Cave Creek area that would take in a pauper like me (currently working on a masters). Looking for a place that I could get involved in, somewhere that has nice horses available for lessons, maybe with sale horses that need hacking, etc. Might be a pipe dream, but I have some time to search.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                                        X