• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Taking a break...from a show barn to...somewhere else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a break...from a show barn to...somewhere else?

Right now I have my horse at school with me at a show oriented type barn. My horse is greenish...but has come along very well. I really like the trainer I'm riding with for the most part. Problem is...I'm quite sick of the drama and stress from the barn. I'm realizing I sort of dread going there. People are too competitive...and I'm just the opposite. One boarder in particular drives me crazy with her constant critiquing and belittling of my very nice horse (and then in the next sentence offering to buy him if I ever decide to put him up for sale).

I graduate in April and then have two months of clinicals followed by two months off. Is it crazy of me to take my very fancy show horse to quite literally a friends back yard barn for four months? I'd still ride him. I don't even have the motivation to show him really anymore. I don't like the pressure. I think if I take a break from the stress of it for a while, I'll come back feeling refreshed and more in love with it like I used to be. If not...turn my fancy import into a trail pony that I love being around??

Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone do something like this before?

I have two very fancy horses in my back yard..... By reading your post it sounds like you need a break. Fancy horses need breaks too....

Life is short so enjoy it.
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

Comment

Did just that for 6 months and came back "on top of my game"..
      Nothing wrong with "laying low" for a few months and coming back motivated!!!

For me, it was the stress of the costs of said show barn, plus school load and work... I thought I was going to loose my mind. Moved horse, rode as much as I had been riding, horse kept progressing and actually went better (as I took her off the property, trails, hunter paces occasionally)... Her true "personality" shined at that time...

When I went back to a super competitive farm, I made sure to keep that kind of routine afterwards... and horse stayed happy
      Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Comment

It is always a good idea to take a break from a stressful training situation. It is not fun when you dread seeing certain cars in the parking lot as you pull up to the barn.

I have a very fancy import who does her time on the trails, long walks down the drive and time competing at AA shows such as Vermont and HITS.

I ship out for lessons and meet my trainer at the shows.

I am at a small private barn where the biggest stress this time of year is trying to find reasonably healthy treats to stuff into the horses' stockings .

As another poster said, life is too short....

Comment

Taking a break is fine. Meeting trainer at shows is fine. Trail rides is fine. Sounds like just what the doc ordered. However, don't forget that NOT all show barns are like this, and before you decide to throw in the towel, you may want to look at other show barn options as well. You don't always have to sacrifice good training for a pleasant, low-key atmosphere.
          Please don't sabotash my conchess.

Comment

My goodness--life is too short to be stressed out by your barn environment! I left a show barn where this kind of thing was always going on, and while I have two "fancy" boys, we all couldn't be happier at a more low key facility where everyone pretty much does their own thing. I've even caught both boys napping at the same time out in their paddock together. I NEVER saw that at their old barn!

Comment

I stuck with a barn for way too long that was drama to the extreme. There was a lot of shady stuff going on and I ended up in some bad and awkward situations. I wasted my entire junior career there and fully regret it. I left in '06 and haven't looked back. I brought my horse back to my parents small farm, got a young TB to start and have just been enjoying RIDING and being with my horses, not "who said what about such and such". I think it would be a great idea. Your horse doesn't have to live in a big fancy show barn to still be a nice, fancy show horse. He will probably be happy with the break as well!

Comment

When I was in my later years of college (there were 6 of those.. lol) I sold my horse of a lifetime because I got badly burned out and didnt want to play anymore. The horse was downright evil to handle and I didnt want it in a barn where I didnt have a groom, so keeping him wasnt an option. I sold him and bought a "western" horse.

10 years later I'm a trainer and back at A shows. I can certainly reccommend that you follow your heart. I met my husband during my "down time!" I have no regrets about what I did then and where I am now. Find what makes you happy and go for it. There will be horse shows down the road if you choose to go back to that. Your horse doesnt care! If it feels right to you, it probably is.
                Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
                www.saradanielhaynes.com

Comment

Thats what I did, and no regrets.

I was a full working student, and had been off and on for years. I was an eventer at heart, but my 'boy' wasn't so we switched over to a H/J barn.

I enjoyed the training, but the show scene and the drama just wasn't for me. Like you, I started to dread going out to the barn (which I did 7 days a week).

I took my boy home, to a back yard up the street from my house. They had a little arena, and next door was a small private jumper barn.

I just 'played'! We went on miles and miles of trails, rode on the beach. I started riding once a week with the jumper rider next door. Little informal lessons.

It was GREAT, I enjoyed my horse so much, and he was soo happy.

I never really went back to showing. I ended up half leasing him to a pony clubber, and I would go to shows with her and coach, and ride in a few warm up classes.

Any way, I say follow your gut. But for me, it really rekindled my LOVE for my horse.
                  APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I keep my horses on pasture board at a little place with 6 horses on the property, do the majority of my training there, and trailer out for lessons and shows.

It has been the best thing I have ever done for my wallet and sanity.
                    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

I keep my horses at home and trailer to lessons and -- hopefully next year -- shows. When I boarded I kept them at a quiet private farm as well. My horses can come off the trailer and belong at any A barn -- with none of the drama. And I can hop on them bareback in my Carhartts and muck boots for a quick trail ride whenever I darn well please. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Also, if you aren't sure you can totally leave the show thing and don't have a trailer, check out the other show barns in your area and see what their programs are. I trailered out for lessons with a great trainer as a kid who made sure that all the horses hacked out at least 2 days a week on trails, then did flatwork 3 other days, then jumped once a week or less. He showed, but did not campaign. There are show barns out there with a healthy approach to horse management.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea. I quit showing for almost a year when I was a senior in college.... Too much "life" type of stress to deal with barn stress too.

I took my horse trail riding, took some dressage lessons and had fun with her. She came back better for the break and I at least came back saner.

Try new stuff. Go school XC jumps, hack out, have fun and do things you wouldn't in a "show barn."
                        The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

I echo everyone. Why stay if you're not happy?
                          I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I left, my friend left shortly after, and within a couple years all of the "decent" boarders left. I got sick of the "peanut gallery" sitting in the bleachers ring-side during my lessons, literally whispering to each other behind hands. Rumor has it that the "evil" boarders took over and now the barn is in financial trouble because they can't find any new boarders who will put up with the "evil" boarders.

And I also got too busy with work to dedicate to serious training of my (I like to think "fancy") youngster, so he's living in a backyard and goes on trail rides until I can find the time this summer to move him back to a show barn for a few months. He loves it and is very happy with trail rides. We'll go back to serious training/showing when I find an appropriate barn & the time.

Comment

Fancy is as fancy does. I wouldn't board at a show barn for all the tea in China. I compete my horse -- and we board at my neighbour's house. And we *gasp* go camping and trail riding for the weekend. Go where you can relax, be happy, and have fun. Otherwise, what's the point of spending all that money?
                            Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                            We Are Flying Solo

Comment

This is supposed to be FUN.

I rode at the big show barn and could well have continued there, but it was too much of a giant PITA.

I much prefer my arrangement now, where horses are at a rented barn, have lots of turnout, we can have a garden and chickens, with trails, and room to play. We haul to a well known trainer for lessons and horse shows.

The big horse will be sent away for winter camp at another local, low-stress barn that happens to have an indoor so I can keep riding in lousy weather. That's the only downside to our farm is that the footing in our ring (grass) is unfavorable in the winter.

All in all, it's much more enjoyable this way. Find what works for you - just don't burn bridges and you can always go back.
                              ---
                              They're small hearts.

Comment

Been there....done that

and have NEVER been happier!! I got so tired of the drama, cheating, back stabbing and poor sportmanship that I just said enough. Moved my two talented boys to an oasis for us both and found true peace. They went from six hour turnout on dirt with fighting to grazing for twelve hours with no a peep. We (DD & I) both came to remember why we loved riding so much and I actually ride more now than ever! My boys have never been happier and it shows in their attitudes.

You have to do what makes you happy! Life is stressful enough without all the crap that showing can bring along with it. Some people thrive on that kind of atmosphere but don't kick yourself if you aren't one of them!!
                                "A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority." Rick Warren

Comment

I board next door to my trainer in a huge pasture. My horse is incredibly happy. I can go hack over for a lesson if I want, or if I just want to ride in her ring.

If I want "quiet time" Chance and I stay next door and do whatever we want in our arena. Or we go on the trail. Or I go over and brush him, feed him treats and go home. It's great! It's fun, my horse is happy, I'm happy and I have walking access to a wonderful trainer.

I vote for moving. Nothing beats the quiet bonding time you'll have with your horse.

Comment

I'm somewhat in the same situation. Extremely unhappy with where I'm am and the drama I have to deal with, but not because of showing.

Unfortunately I used to board at a barn that was perfect for me, so I'm having a really hard time adjusting. Before I left for college I had always been in intense training for showing and when my horse decided eventing wasn't in his heart, it broke mine a little. After every failed show I would question why I'm doing this? Why am I putting myself through heartbreak and hating my horse? I took a complete month off from lessons at home (in which no one at home would question it) and then moved him with me to college. I've definitely found that sometimes you need to take the time to realize why you fell in love with riding horses in the first place.

Now I'm here...unhappy and wanting that support system I had for years. I'm still not in a training program and it's been at least 4 months and until I find a perfect trainer, it will stay that way. Not being snobby, but my horse is one of the most talented/fanciest horses in the barn, so I can relate there. If you decide to go back to training, find someone and somewhere, that will support whatever you decide, not push you farther into something you don't want. It's a tricky situation, but I've found that my best trainers also became very dear friends of mine.

First and foremost, make yourself and your horse happy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice everyone That was just what I needed to hear. Actually, after hearing from all of you, I'm tempted to find the quiet barn I dream of NOW and not just for the summer. The thought of calm at the barn seems soooo appealing!

Now off to search for a peaceful barn...

Comment

Go for it! Basically, you own your horse for you to enjoy. I haven't show since the late 90s, but I love owning/riding a fancy horse. Enjoy the 'fancy' for yourself!
                                        The truth is always in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                                        X