• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Jump height and schooling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump height and schooling

Kind of a survey to get thoughts on this subject.

Many of us school over fences 2 - 3 days a week; if you are competing at lets say 3 ft..... do you always school 3 ft or do you do 2'3" - 2'6" and when you have a show do a few at 3 ft?

I would love to get an idea of what most of you do. I think I am paranoid - I want to jump but I also know I need to protect my horses legs the best I can... I think a lot can be done over smaller fences... the hardest part to me is not the height, it's in-between the jumps that usually needs the most work...
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

You need to balance saving their legs with jumping obstacles substantial enough that they do not become careless with their form. If I jumped my 3'6" horse over 2' his form will become sloppy. Greener horses might need more jumps to stay tuned up, while seasoned horses with tons of miles you want to limit their jumps to save their bodies since they already know their job.

My horse shows 3'6"- when jumping at home I usually do a warm-up jump at 2'6" or 2'9" and then all everything else is 3'-3'6" and sometimes some bigger stuff. He's a green horse, he requires a lot of jump schooling to stay tuned up. I do a high frequency in jumping days--I might jump 2-3 days a week but sometimes I might do just a few fences.

With my older horse I only jumped her once, maybe twice, a week, sometimes more infrequently than that when not preparing for a show.

Really it just depends on their horse and rider. There's no perfect formula that will guarantee you perpetual soundness and a perfectly behaved horse.

Comment

Good shoeing, good footing, good diet, and good conformation are your best allies in keeping a horse healthy and sound. A thoughtful training program will also help, but I think those four things probably carry more weight than anything. If you're in a place where horses live in box stalls, more turnout can also help.

If you are weak between the fences, do lots and lots of cavaletti and pole work. Low strain and if done correctly, really beneficial. It also doesn't encourage your horse to be sloppy over fences.

Some horses get really sloppy if they jump low fences. Some horses can jump low fences and march around the bigger stuff like a pro. Some people need to jump higher at home to feel comfortable at the shows. Some people are fine schooling lower and waiting until the show to jump higher. It just depends on the person and horse.

Comment

We jump little stuff on our own 2-3 times a week. Mostly little crossrails, 2 or 2'3 verticals, logs, whatever is set up. Probably only 3 or 4 jumps per ride. (If I am working on something in particular involving issues in between fences, I am more apt to do it over ground poles rather than fences when I am practicing.) We work in the jumps during the flatwork vs. save them for the end or whatever. Helps relax him (walk...trot...oh and hey here is a cross rail...trot...walk...canter...hey, there's a vertical) and really makes it a part of flatwork.

In our weekly lessons, we don't really jump a TON either. Work on something a little bit different every week - lots of technical stuff, vs going over and over lines/courses etc. We start with fences low and then gradually raise them - the last time or two through the exercise will generally be at show height (3ft), but that's it.

I'm fine to not jump show height much at home and just let it roll at shows. Horse isn't particularly sloppy at low heights, but the higher heights do make him jump better...but I haven't found that jumping him low at home is detrimental to how he jumps the higher stuff.

I prefer to keep our fitness routine to a moderate amount of lower stuff a few times a week vs. big stuff once a week.

Comment

If I were riding 6 days a week (2-3 jumping) and showing at 3', and my issues were more with the flat work in between the jumps as opposed to the jumps themselves, I would have 1-2 days a week crossrails-<2' verticles (not excessive, just maybe 6-8 jumps working on any given exercise that my horse needs work on). Then one day a week I would up the jumps to 2'6" with a few 3' thrown in. I would then do a couple warm up jumps/things I had worked on over lower jumps earlier in the week, and then throw a full course together and maybe do it twice.

I am not one to overdo it. If your horse is "made" and doesn't really need the work and is on the older side, then don't do as much. If your horse is green and needs the work, then up it a little. A LOT can be done to fix problems over poles/low crossrails.
          I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
          My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
          She Ain't No Small Potato!

Comment

I very rarely jump big fences at home. Now and then, we might do a big gymnastic, but since we show for most of the spring/summer, when we are home, it's down time for Nikki. Sometimes we'll school over a big track simply because the pace we need is so different - but not more than once a week.

Now that it's winter and I'm done showing... well, last week, I had two lessons where we jumped, and we did about 2'6''. I find that we can accomplish a lot with tricky courses and small fences that don't take much out of the horses.
            http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
            Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

At home I hardly ever go above 3ft. Heck, hardly ever above 2'6". I have a young horse, I want to save her legs. It helps both of us to work over smaller fences. Like me with my "eye" and never seeing a distance when going to a single fence for some weird reason.. lol. I do try to incorporate cavaletti and gymnastics. But, like I said, nothing high.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your responses.

I have older horses (13 and 15 years) and they are trained (dressage mostly) but have only been jumping for a year or so.

Some pretty successful trainers I know keep things at home pretty basic and pop over a larger jump every once in a while.... and if there is a show coming they will raise them up a bit... but mostly school lower. But then I have seen some training thoughts to put the jumps up most of the time and I worry about that. I guess having older horses that I must maintain and properly care for is always a question for me. It's nice to hear what others are doing and how they maintain a nice balance.

I don't really feel the horses need much schooling over fences, it's their owner that does.
                Live in the sunshine.
                Swim in the sea.
                Drink the wild air.

Comment

I only jump my horse one or two times a week and then at shows. When we jump at home, the fences are very small, maybe 2', so it doesn't put as much strain on my horse. We do lots and lots of flatwork during the week and that helps us for the times that we do jump.
                  "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
                  ~George Morris

Comment

Jump 2-3 times a week, less in a week that we're planning to show. One of those times might be show height (3' for us) but the others won't. Instead we work on tricky stuff. We do a lot of flatwork, including on the days we jump. So we won't necessarily jump a lot of fences. I think we jumped about 20-25 yesterday, including warming up. Did a trot in - canter out a couple of times, jumped about six other fences in the ring, and then did a long-ish course.
                    The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

I have two horses, of whom I ride completely differently.

My mare is training Novice/Elementary dressage. She is a steady 3 foot jumper, plenty of scope for more but just had some unfortunate events this year which didn't allow us to compete - thus I did not bother to try and further her training hugely, as the majority of her problems happen in a new environment. She is super spooky, overly careful and stops on a dime if the atmosphere is "scary" so there's not too much I can do to help her train at home, it's just miles! However, I like to do lots of crosses with her to keep her feeling confident about her fences because she does get spooky and worried about them. I only jump her once a week, normally doing grids and courses of crosses. In prep for a show I will put the fences up to height, maybe a bit bigger to get her used to seeing a bigger fence. With her, it's ALWAYS relaxation first.

My gelding is training Preliminary dressage and is still very young. He previously jumped round his 1.20m-1.30m tracks with the Show Jumper I bought him from in Australia, however having bought him, his flatwork is terrible and I have taken him back to the beginning. At the moment, the majority of our work in a jumping session is done over single poles and grids with poles. I might do a few crosses and a small vertical with V rails to help him keep straight. The priority is keeping him soft, loose, rhythmic and straight.

I never jump more then twice a week, I want to preserve my horses and keep them keen! They get one rest day, one trail riding day, one jump day, two flat days (with one day maybe having poles depending where I ride on the property) and the other day they are handwalked the day after they jump. I do not have a groom, I do this all myself.

Comment

I show mostly 3' and rarely school over 2'6" at home. My horse goes in two jumping lessons a week with the fences set at 2'6". My trainer occasionally jacks up a fence in lessons to keep him sharp. In early March we'll do a some lessons at 3' but that is mostly to get ME ready for the shows. I like to hack in the big grass jumping field outside of lessons. Sometimes I tool around over the outside hunter course (usually set at 2') just to reinforce a no-big-deal attitude.

It really just depends on the horse though. I have a really big, confident horse. We do a lot in the warmer months - shows, events, clinics, xc schooling, etc. He doesn't need the pounding on his legs at home. On the other hand, my old TB needed very consistent 3' - 3'3 schooling at home in order to compete in the childrens hunters. He was a chicken.
                        The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

When I was showing my old horse I usually kept the fences small - just enough for me to tune my eye. But I usually set the gymnastic 6" bigger than what we were showing at, just to school his form.

With the green bean I suspect my plan will be to school him over stuff at least 3" bigger than he is showing at so the show feels more like a step down than a step up. But since he hasn't even cantered a line yet, I may be getting ahead of myself, planning-wise.
                          Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

I usually jump 1-3 small fences almost everytime I ride (depending on the horse I'm riding). My horses tend to get really bored with flatwork, etc. I jump school (courses) each horse 1-4 times per month depending on shows etc. When I do my 3ft horses jump 3'3-3'6, 3'3 horses jump 3'6-3'9, 3'6 horses jump 3'9-4', ect. It works for me.

Comment

I only jump school once a week. I like to refer to them as "strategically scheduled jump schools" because I typically do them when I can tell my pony is getting pretty bored/grumpy with dressage. Sometimes I have weeks where I don't jump at all (like this week!). I've found that his jumping is far better/easier when our flatwork is going really well anyway.

My pony and I just finished up a season doing 3' and we're moving up to 3'3" next season. I'll typically set jumps anywhere from 2'6" to 3'9", depending on what we're working on. But most of the time the jumps are in the 2'9"/3' range. I'm not too concerned about the height since we don't jump school a lot and because I don't drill the jumping when we do.
                              "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

For the green ones I prefer to school a bit higher at home and for older, to keep them alert, I like to set up nice gymnastics.

But I usually jump 1-2 times per week and do 3-4 dressage session, lunge 1 and 1 free turn out day. Some trail rides before or after session if weather is ok.

As I believe lower fences, gymnastics and pole grids are highly valuable, I think it is important to jump as high as the horse will need to jump at shows on a regular basis as to get fit enough to do the jumps without getting injured. Muscles and tendons needs to be prepared and it is not by jumping 2'6 that the horse will get the strenght to jump 3'6 courses at shows and staying sound. And since my goal with my 6yrs mare is to do the big hunter shows, we are getting her fit for that by putting bars a little higher each time!
                                ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                                I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                                HORSING mobile training app

Comment

I saved the big jumps mostly for lessons. But some of the hardest lessons I have ever had have been over courses of poles on the ground.
                                  I don't see a point in jumping "show height" every day, but I'm not crazy competitive and mostly only show for fun.

Comment

At home in lessons we usually jump 2' or 2'3''. If were getting ready for a show well jump the height were going to show one time. Mainly we do flatwork...you have to crawl before you can walk.
                                    Proud Owner of the Famous Supernatural...or at least the Famous COTH-Missing Horse.
                                    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...e+supernatural

Comment

My horse jumps 1-2 times a week. The only time we go over 3ft is for a gymnastic or an oxer that my trainer doesn't want to adjust! Most of the time, we keep it around 2'9. I think even if I did jump higher regularly, my 10yr old horse would still be fine, (never overjumped and has plenty of time to rest).

Comment

on a usual day i will jump 2`9 or 3` but i don`t jump everyday, i mostly put my focus on flat and balance!

Comment

Working...
                                        X