• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Teaching flying lead changes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching flying lead changes?

How do you guys go about teaching your horses their flyings? I know asking for it over a pole is beneficial. Are there any other exercises that you guys have found to be helpful for teaching your horse?
    Last edited by justjumpit278; Nov. 24, 2010, 10:57 PM.
    In my opinion a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs. Its something you just can't get from a pet hamster.
    In The Nick of Time

It depends on the horse.

Most horses I don't teach over a pole, I teach on figure eight. I teach all my horses to bend around my leg and get them really, really straight and soft and giving. I them put them on a circle one direction and get them bending around my leg well, putting my outside heel down, bending around my inside leg, opening my inside rein, keeping contact with my outside rein. Then when I want the change I half halt and switch everything to ask for bend to the other direction --sinking into my "new" outside heel, asking for bend around my new inside leg, opening my new inside rein, and holding contact with the outside rein. Many horses pick up the change with this method right away. if the proper schooling is in place when you start asking. My last OTTB learned in a single day.

Of course, sometimes this does not mirror the traditional hunter swap, but IME a good judge will not penalize a good back to front change. And I think it is much more effective than the old "run the horse into the corner and get it so off balance it has to change or fall down" method. That's just folly.

Oh, and you can edit the post title by clicking "Go Advanced" in the original post edit function. Good luck with your horse's changes!

Comment

• Original Poster

That makes complete and total sense to me. Thanks for your insight, that really helped.
      And thanks for the good luck wishes. I'm really trying hard with the mare I'm working with and I don't want to screw her up. >.< Unfortunately I don't have a trainer to work with at the moment, so I thought I'd be able to get some advice here.
      In my opinion a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs. Its something you just can't get from a pet hamster.
      In The Nick of Time

Comment

As you said, working over a pole. My trainer found that I kind of panicked a bit about getting it over the one pole so we used to set up a grid of four or five poles and I would enter asking and then by the end having my new lead. I was eventually able to move down to one pole but they were established by then so it wasn't an issue.

Once you have it on a figure of eight, the next challenge is doing it on a straight line - good luck!

Comment

Daughters pony picked up her flying changes over a pole on a figure eight, progressed to pole at the end of a line. She has some slick changes now. Good luck, teaching lead changes can be frustrating but it is oh so rewarding when they figure it out!

Comment

A related question - when do you teach them? What does your horse need to know and/or how old should they be?

I have a 5yo mare. I have not asked for flying changes at all, but more let her figure it out. At this point, if I am in a figure 8, she'll change leads as soon as I ask for the new bend, but, it's not a "flying change". Seems like the front may be a flying change, but the back feels like some kind of shuffle for a stride before she gets it correct. It is hard to tell what she's doing since I'm on her.

Comment

Sulta, a proper change comes from the back. A change in front only is just a messed up canter. They can sometimes learn to catch up with the hind but I don't believe it's a good way to teach them. Halting or walking between leads helps as it gets them to put their weight on their back end.

Here's an article that explains it better than I can. Good luck!

http://www.southernstates.com/articl...adchanges.aspx

Comment

teaching changes

Teaching Flying changes for some horses can be a real process. Ideally your horse should be able to pick up the canter from the walk and halt to have the neccesary strength required for the change. He should also be broke enough to bend around your leg both inside and outside at all gaits.

The pole exercises mentioned are both very good....also put down 3/4 poles in a row to be cantered over (11 1/2-12 feet apart) to build the hind end up and give him the proper technique to lift behind. You can do this on the lunge as well.

Counter canter works well also for the same reasons as above.

Either way, the rider needs to be savy enough to feel when to ask, when to reward, when to correct, when to push for more, and most importantly: when to end each session.

Comment

We start by making sure the horse is balanced on both leads. We do a lot of counter canter and upward and downward transitions. Once we've established strength and balance on both leads, then we work on lead changes.

Generally we start by trotting down the quarter line, asking the horse to leg yield to the rail. A few strides from the end of the arena, we'll ask for a halt, a back up step, change the bend and then canter around the corner on the correct lead. Once the horse understands the change of bend, we'll practice the exercise at the canter - counter canter down the quarter line, yield to the rail, etc. We gradually stop asking for the halt and the back up step, our horses usually have the lead changes within a few days using this method.

Comment

An important factor in teaching a lead change is the rider must know how to properly ask for them to begin with.

Some riders will have the trainer put the change on the horse and then the trainer works w/ student to show them how to ask properly.

When working on lead changes do work in counter canter... making sure the horse is strong enough and balanced over a series of weeks.... Then you can work on changes on a diagonal line at a forward canter - as you are on the left lead (for example) tracking left - begin across the diagonal - using your right leg, supporting right rein but using your left rein to keep the horse in the counter canter..... using your right leg - move the horse left a bit; then as you approach the end of the arena - keeping your right leg holding the rib cage supporting feeling the rib cage bend the new direction and w/ your right rein slightly turning the nose in but keeping the right shoulder "up" and slipping your left leg back and ask for the hind to change. This is all done with "feeling" and that's why it's not really super easy until you get that "feel"....
                    Last edited by doublesstable; Nov. 25, 2010, 04:59 PM.
                    Live in the sunshine.
                    Swim in the sea.
                    Drink the wild air.

Comment

LOL, usually I make sure they are balanced and truly straight and in front of my leg with no help from me, then I go down the diagonal with a healthy pace (not running away, but up tempo) so they know a change of direction is inevitable, then like fordtraktor I do the same cues, only I've always thought of it as opening their body to the new direction - freeing up that side of their body ...OK, really what I think of it as getting out of their way so they can do what they already know how to do.

So far I've done about a half dozen lead changes with the 3 year old. I just want him to learn how to do what he can already do ... only with me on him. So I'm not big about finesse with my cues at this stage, just familiarizing him with the concept and getting a crisp clean change with a balanced horse on both leads. Later I'll adapt it to a specific cue, but right now it's not about drilling the behavior or expecting perfection, it's about effortless confidence. So to that end I don't ask him for a lead change if physically I don't think he's 110% able that day, cantering down that diagonal. If he's a bit tired and down on his forehand, today's not the day. If he had it in him to be rushy, that wouldn't be the day either. Or too pissy, i.e., not a player... There's always another day.

Mostly I try to remember that they all can do a lead change without us on their back, so I like to imitate those circumstances as much as possible, and those circumstances usually involve a balanced horse going just fast enough where their preference would not be to break into a trot and a horse who knows he has enough of a change of direction coming up that a counter canter isn't going to cut it. If those two things are clear in his mind, getting out of his way usually takes care of the rest.
                      Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

You need to teach your horse to leg yield first. Teaching a proper lead change comes from teaching a horse to leg yield first and foremost.

Comment

I read a very cool article by a reining person that described how those folks teach changes. They start by teaching the horse to move its outside hip over on command. They do this at the walk and trot. Eventually, they can tell the horse to move its outside hip over and presto, they get their changes.

And I know firsthand that reining people put great lead changes on horses!

Comment

All good suggestions, my current mare has really natural changes in the first place. I would watch her in the field cantering around and changing her leads as he changed directions so I had a pretty good idea that they would be easy for her.

Well one day I was working on a three loop serpentine with simple changes through the trot. One time when I went to ask for the downward transition she just swapped, basically saying this is much easier mom. Since then she has had changes. I rarely have to ask her for them as she is pretty auto, but if I have to ask she swaps right away. I have never drilled her on them either.

I think drilling any horse about lead changes is the worst idea. Makes them into a bigger deal than they are. Just do a few a day and move on whether they got them or not then revisit in another few days.

I have had to put lead changes on every horse I ever had and all of them have been different.
                            Last edited by Beethoven; Nov. 25, 2010, 09:22 PM.
                            I love cats, I love every single cat....
                            So anyway I am a cat lover
                            And I love to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Beethoven View Post
                              I have never drilled her on them either.

I think drilling any horse about lead changes is the worst idea. Makes them into a bigger deal than they are. Just do a few a day and move on wether they got them or not then revisit in another few days.
                              Definitely a great suggestion and reminder! I agree w/ you.
                              Live in the sunshine.
                              Swim in the sea.
                              Drink the wild air.

Comment

I agree with Beethoven. We have someone who is really good with changes get on them and ask them across a diagonal. Some of them get them and some dont, and a lot of people like to go out to a nice pasture and work on them in there so in the ring they dont get panic-ie.
                                Proud Owner of the Famous Supernatural...or at least the Famous COTH-Missing Horse.
                                http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...e+supernatural

Comment

Flying changes

Originally posted by justjumpit278 View Post
                                  How do you guys go about teaching your horses their flyings? I know asking for it over a pole is beneficial. Are there any other exercises that you guys have found to be helpful for teaching your horse?
                                  Make a box on the ground using 4 rails....start out by cantering through the middle straight so your horse can get used to the rhythm/pattern of it...its sort of like a bounce or one stride rather ...then once your horse is familiar w/ cantering through straight,then next time around choose the direction you want your horse to change its lead to and as your cantering over the "out" pole is when you ask and turn...keep doing it in both directions....and after a little while it will teach your the rhythm and pattern and timing of when to change...it worked well for me

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!
                                    When I rode her yesterday, I got her listening to me at the canter and then I just asked through the center without a pole or anything like that. She swapped her front for me on the first try! I know thats not SPECTACULAR and would have been better if she did her hind change with it.. but after two strides, she already caught up behind. It was the first time I was ever really asking her for a change!
                                    I think (*hope*) she'll learn them fairly quickly.
                                    In The Nick of Time

Comment

Teaching the counter canter comes FIRST.

Originally posted by Sulta View Post
                                      A related question - when do you teach them? What does your horse need to know and/or how old should they be?

I have a 5yo mare. I have not asked for flying changes at all, but more let her figure it out. At this point, if I am in a figure 8, she'll change leads as soon as I ask for the new bend, but, it's not a "flying change". Seems like the front may be a flying change, but the back feels like some kind of shuffle for a stride before she gets it correct. It is hard to tell what she's doing since I'm on her.
                                      It's not about asking for a new bend. It's about the horse listening to your cues when asking for the change. Timing is EVERYTHING. Make sure your horse can pick up the counter canter SOLIDLY before ever asking for lead changes....

Go down a long side, ask for the right lead. Three strides, walk a stride. Counter canter three strides. Walk. Repeat. If your horse can't do this, he's not ready to start changes.

Comment

Originally posted by justjumpit278 View Post
                                        Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!
                                        When I rode her yesterday, I got her listening to me at the canter and then I just asked through the center without a pole or anything like that. She swapped her front for me on the first try! I know thats not SPECTACULAR and would have been better if she did her hind change with it.. but after two strides, she already caught up behind. It was the first time I was ever really asking her for a change!
                                        I think (*hope*) she'll learn them fairly quickly.
                                        Not to be a Debbie Downer, but this is unacceptable IMO. If the correct flatwork was achieved before even starting changes, this would not be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                                        X