• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who has a body that horses built?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a body that horses built?

If I start with my face- I have a scar on the bridge of my nose from a horse anxious to leave the trailer and planted the rear tail panel of the trailer in my face.
    A missing piece of pigment on my right jaw where a rather unathletic horse happened to coincide with a determined opinion to jump the oxer.
    Right shoulder is still not the same after being dislocated by a rambunctious horse on a lunge line.
    Right knee is still getting stiff after having a green horse trip and sommersault which landed him squarely on his side, my knee was a cushion. Fingers and toes have all been victimized by riding accidents.
    Dick Francis has an unusually accurate take on horse people overcoming injuries, tell your story ! Oh and try to be discreet too much gore is

I have some very ugly toes from being broken two or three times each.

I have a scar on my whooo-la-la from a victory gallop gone terribly terribly wrong.
    If only horses would use their athletic powers for good instead of evil. ~ MHM

Comment

Hm the only one that I really have is a scar underneath my jaw. A horse flung his head and nailed me there. But then again I'm still young. Ask me again in 20 year, I'm sure I'll have more to share.
      In my opinion a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs. Its something you just can't get from a pet hamster.
      In The Nick of Time

Comment

Originally posted by Void View Post

I have a scar on my whooo-la-la from a victory gallop gone terribly terribly wrong.
        You win.
        "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
        http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

I literally have a rebuilt collarbone - broken in ten places. Broke all my ribs on the right side that day also. Those cross rails can be a !%?#*. lol I will take the four legged over the four wheels any day.
          http://STA551.com
          845-363-1875

Comment

I have a perfect horseshoe indentation mid-thigh from a well placed kick 35 years ago.

Comment

Bone chip and torn tendon in my right ankle - Falling off my horse when i was 15

Slipped disk and fracture in my neck - Horse flipping on me over a jump

Multiple back injuries + Scoliosis that resulted in one of my lower right vertebrae misforming while still growing

Stress fractures in both my heels

Knee caps that rub against my tendons (from jumping)

LARGE scars on my toes - being stomped on

Torn tendon in my right hand - horse biting me strangely

I'm a physical therapists worst nightmare...they just cant fix me. To quote mine: "You're the worst case I've ever seen...I don't even know where to start"

Comment

Wow... I don't even want to think about 20+ years from now, but at 18:

back problems from being thrown onto two jumps by the same devil pony
                a weird patch on my back that won't tan from getting stepped on by a mini after being bucked off
                couple of broken toes from over-eager horses
                random little scars on wrist from getting dragged along by a pony

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke View Post
                  I have a perfect horseshoe indentation mid-thigh from a well placed kick 35 years ago.
                  Mine was 20 years ago, but same thing! Left thigh - thankfully the wall she kicked me into didn't leave a brick imprint on the other leg.

I have what doctors think is a bunion but is a misformed big toe joint where my halter horse bounced off my foot when I was unloading him for a lesson in high school. Extra bump on my nose from an IHSA horse dumping me after a jump. Misformed middle finger from the same incident. Back problems from the horse with the catchy stifles who abused it when I was younger. And currently waiting to see after the swelling and bruises are gone if there's a permanent difference in my left cheek where my horse slammed me with his poll during a bucking/leaping spree the other day.... I don't think it'll leave a permanent mark as nothing appears broken and I didn't have a concussion, but the bruises are still developing/darkening now, so it's hard to be sure!
                  Originally posted by Silverbridge
                  If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

oh my! too many scars to count from various horse or farm related incidents.
                    A broken big toe from Kicking a pony in the jaw because while leading him he decieded the grass over there was where he wanted to be and hyper extended my shoulder to get there.
                    A lacerated liver from a horse that would give any bronc horse a run for its money, I bailed after the 8 second mark!

Broken nose one, two, maybe three times...babies!

a couple broken ribs from a short stirrup pony dumping me on the race track in Ocala, P-O-N-Y, IS a four letter word!

A herniated disc, replaced with cadeaver bone and plate(20 years later!) from horse flipping over backwards on top of me at the ripe old age of 16...

carpal tunnel from braiding horses for a living when I was young and poor.

No cartiledge left in my knees from years of jumping

amazingly back is still pretty good(knock on wood!) and as long as I keep moving everything works, but sit me down for an hour, I need a crane to get back up, take a couple of steps, finally stand up straight....

All that, and not quite 50...have to say I am VERY selective about what horse I will get on these days!!
                    Last edited by Equsrider; Nov. 17, 2010, 11:34 PM. Reason: errors

Comment

Wow! Some of you guys really have some war stories!

The only really visible souvenir I have (so far, knock wood) is a lump on my lower back from a naughty horse who tossed me onto a row of 2" x 4" braces around a tree. I had a pretty spectacular set of bruises at the time. That was almost 6 years ago, so I suspect the lump is permanent.

The mental and emotional scars from a lifetime around horses- well, that's a different story!

Comment

Rugby and a lifetime of clumsiness built this body, 'yo...but horses have added (in FIVE short years!!)

-Big lumpy spot on outer left thigh that was once a hematoma that had a larger cup size than my boob

-Lumpy spot on right thigh (NOT symmetric with the left, sadly ) that has long diagonal scar tissue down the front, and hoof-shaped scar tissue at hipbone

-Broken/bent pinky 'cause I let it stick out while attempting to master the crest release

-Mushed toes on right foot

-Big dark discolored patch on inside of left calf where I learned that riding in capri pants without chaps was inadvisable. I didn't feel the rugburn from my stirrup leather until I got off!

Green rider + green horse may = black and blue, but it does heal into the above, eventually.

**I initially opened this thread assuming it was going to be about ideal rider physique, and popped in to say that if my horse had built me I would be 4" shorter, 100lbs lighter and have the riding ambition of my sister ("trotting is too fast, this horse likes to walk better. Do you think he will walk over that stick?")
                        Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

After years of starting youngsters, galloping racehorses, and riding races I have only broken my wrist, foot, and ankle. Have a very wonky neck but that's it really.

Terri
                          COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Comment

i have a scar on my forehead above my left brow,from my 6 mo month old colt deciding that he was going to spook at the boogeyman in the back corner of the arena.happened in 2004
                            http://myridingjourney.blogspot.com

Comment

I think my fingers are misshapen from years of holding reins. The ring fingers and fingers nearest the thumbs on both hands all curve towards the middle fingers. Right and left hands a pretty much the same so it can't be from writing. Anyone else notice this? Is it particular to people who ride?

I have an elbow that doesn't straighten so well in cold weather due to being slammed against a pipe when my horse quite rightfully launched me for sitting backwards on him. A funny toe with a funny toenail from getting stomped (I did add $5 to the bill for pulling the beast's mane). A scar down one arm from getting flung thru a barbed wire fence. My back doesn't feel so great some mornings. But I truly think I am in better shape than if I didn't ride. Had I followed the career path of department chairpersonship and/or academic senate leadership that some encouraged me to follow I'd probably be a lot fatter and in worse shape.
                              The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Wow, some people here have certainly had it rough!

I have a stirrup leather rub on my legs from riding with no half chaps, stomped toes, mucked up ankles from riding short for jumping and a creaky hip from getting smashed into a fence on a bucking bronco.

My chiropractor enjoys my regular visits, he always says my stories are so interesting...

Comment

Permanent scars on both shins and inner knees from multiple rubs. Thankfully now my skin is rather calloused. At the moment I have major bruising and scabs right below my left knee from a kick last week. Issues with my left shoulder's rotator cuff, from where I was struck by a rearing horse over the summer. Two days later a baby bucked me off so I reinjured the same shoulder and sprained my right MCL. My right knee hurts daily. At least when I'm on the horse I kind of have a built in brace (aka, their side) so my knee doesn't over flex that way. I have scoliosis, and horses have not made it better. I broke my pelvis 3 years ago, so in the winter it aches. That's about it.
                                  The horses have given me killer legs and the opportunity to eat pizza and ice cream whenever I want. Thanks guys!
                                  .Lauren.
                                  .Viewpoint Stables.

Comment

Lets see....mine aren't nearly as "exciting" as some

I still have a scar/horse teeth indentation on my right thigh from being picked up and THROWN by a school horse when I was about 9.

Ive broken my nose...but it's fixed so you can't really tell

My left knee is not the same after surgery in 2001

Big scar on my right hand from getting it smashed by a naughty/freaked out horse at the washrack

I think that's about it....

Comment

From top to bottom:

Faint 2in. scar down the side of my face from being bucked off a greenie when I was 16. My first lesson that I was NOT invincible.

Nose - falling on a rock out, again about 13. Before approved helmets. The brim bent back and knocked right between the eyes.

Old cracked rib/broken left leg from a lovely refusal when I was about 13.

Broken tailbone - numerous times.

Right thumb - a bit deformed after being bit by a horse.

Top of my left hand - scar from coming off and having the rein buckle impail me.

Left wrist is severly arthritic. It makes a super wierd grinding noise when flexing. Like its bone on bone.

Arthritis in both knees. And I am not even 30 yet.

Quarter sized scar from getting kicked with a hind hoof that had a stud in it. The stud made impact right above my right knee.

Tons of old scars on the inside of both calfs (is this the appropriate plural form?) from rubs with jeans.

Broken toes that are now somewhat crooked.

Huge scar over my entire left foot. FLIPFLOPS (I know, I know. I am the biggest advocate you will ever know now.) holding a horse that stepped on me and ripped half my foot off.

Comment

Broken nose (what kind of a-hole snaps his knee up into his mom's face when she is bent over trying to apply antibiotic cream to a cut?)

Obligatory 2 inch scars on inside of each leg from stirrup burns.

Right big toe has permanent bruise and permanently screwed up toenail from being stepped on.

Have been bitten once (hard on bicep) by naughty school horse, but it didn't leave a scar and kicked once or twice, but not hard enough to leave a mark. Fallen less than the number of fingers on both hands and never seriously hurt.

Hmmm...been riding for about 20 years. 8 years on saintly lesson horses, 3 years on green broke saintly mare, and the last 8 years on somewhat saintly, ammie friendly gelding we bought unbroken at 3 years of age. I think I have been pretty dang lucky.

KNOCKING ON HUGE PIECE OF WOOD RIGHT NOW.

Comment

Working...
                                        X