• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Good Range for Lease Fee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Range for Lease Fee?

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in leasing out my gelding due to time restrictions and am curious on what would be a good average lease fee for him. I think I would go by a monthly fee so that the lease can be terminated at any time if necessary, instead of a yearly thing. I think that would get too complicated, but I have no experience with that type of a lease.

So I'll give some information on him and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! [not an ad]

-Reg. OTTB- raced 3yrs- completely sound during and after career
    -Currently 13 years old (DOB May '97)
    -Solid dark bay (almost black), sound conformation
    -15.3 7/8 hands

Show experience:
    -Competed for a couple years in the local hunters to gain experience, but not what he's suitable for
    -Has been doing 2'6" jumpers and schooling 3'- moving up to 2'9" jumpers at next show
    -Local shows only due to time and financial constraints, but always champion
    -Ready to go at shows, no schooling, not spooky

Riding:
    -Tons of scope- has a BIG jump. Not suitable for timid or beginner rider because of all the effort he gives.
    -3'6" jumper with a bit more time put into him- the jump is there
    -Good stride, handy, goes in a snaffle
    -Trail rides, will jump cross-country, very very willing, dressage prospect- not just a ring horse

He's an easy keeper with front shoes and absolutely no soundness issues. He has always been well taken care of so acts and looks much more like a younger horse than what he is. Absolutely no joint issues (never had injections) and is just on a joint maitenance supplement.

He is located on the East Coast and would be an off-farm lease. I'm curious as to what a full lease fee would be for him (the price I receive as the owner- not including what the leasee pays for board, farrier, etc.) I cover annual spring vaccinations.

Figure out the price he's worth for sale, take 1/3 of that, and divide by twelve for monthly fee.

I would price him at most 10k, so $3,300, so $275 a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
      Figure out the price he's worth for sale, take 1/3 of that, and divide by twelve for monthly fee.

Agreed. But... having said that, I feel like there are plenty of comparable, if not nicer, horses that people are trying to free lease, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have trouble actually making money from leasing this horse.

Comment

^^ That's probably the case. I know quite a few people in my area who are doing free leases. They are looking to find someone just to share expenses on the horse in cases where they are too busy to ride 6-7 days per week or pay for pro rides.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post

I was under the impression that a lease that is not a "free lease" is mainly for the horses that have been there, done that, and can take the rider to new places.

The OPs horse sounds like it needs training and is actually quite behind in show record and mileage for his age to be leased out for $$.

He sounds lovely though!
          3' jumpers are a dime a dozen.
          http://kaboomeventing.com/
          http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
          Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Originally posted by Crown Royal View Post
            Hi everyone,

I'm interested in leasing out my gelding due to time restrictions and am curious on what would be a good average lease fee for him. I think I would go by a monthly fee so that the lease can be terminated at any time if necessary, instead of a yearly thing. I think that would get too complicated, but I have no experience with that type of a lease.

So I'll give some information on him and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! [not an ad]

-Reg. OTTB- raced 3yrs- completely sound during and after career
            -Currently 13 years old (DOB May '97)
            -Solid dark bay (almost black), sound conformation
            -15.3 7/8 hands

Show experience:
            -Competed for a couple years in the local hunters to gain experience, but not what he's suitable for
            -Has been doing 2'6" jumpers and schooling 3'- moving up to 2'9" jumpers at next show
            -Local shows only due to time and financial constraints, but always champion
            -Ready to go at shows, no schooling, not spooky

Riding:
            -Tons of scope- has a BIG jump. Not suitable for timid or beginner rider because of all the effort he gives.
            -3'6" jumper with a bit more time put into him- the jump is there
            -Good stride, handy, goes in a snaffle
            -Trail rides, will jump cross-country, very very willing, dressage prospect- not just a ring horse

He's an easy keeper with front shoes and absolutely no soundness issues. He has always been well taken care of so acts and looks much more like a younger horse than what he is. Absolutely no joint issues (never had injections) and is just on a joint maitenance supplement.

He is located on the East Coast and would be an off-farm lease. I'm curious as to what a full lease fee would be for him (the price I receive as the owner- not including what the leasee pays for board, farrier, etc.) I cover annual spring vaccinations.
            I am sure he's a lovely, fun horse but in my area (also in the NE) such animals are a dime a dozen. In fact you can easily free lease (meaning just pay the expenses) on horses with much more substantial records without much difficulty.

If the horse is currently showing at 2'6" - then that is what he is until proven otherwise. The people who tend to want to show "jumpers" at that height are usually fairly novice riders... which you say would not be suitable for this horse.

I would think you'd have more options if you could actually put some mileage on him at 3'6" and offer him to the ch/a jumper crowd.

Good luck.
            We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
            -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by purplnurpl View Post
              I was under the impression that a lease that is not a "free lease" is mainly for the horses that have been there, done that, and can take the rider to new places.

The OPs horse sounds like it needs training and is actually quite behind in show record and mileage for his age to be leased out for $$.

He sounds lovely though!
              3' jumpers are a dime a dozen.
              I do agree, but decided to give the horse a benefit of the doubt. If he really can do the 3'6" with a bit of time, someone might be willing to pay for a lease, depending on where she lives.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for the input!

He is very solid at 2'6" and under at shows and not complicated (can really take a joke with no frazzle), he is just a strong and enthusiastic boy. I'm definitely no pro, just a junio that came off of ponies before him. He's solid around 3' or so courses as well, we just haven't gotten around to showing them yet- I'm trying to be careful with moving up a division at a time instead of skipping so he keeps his confidence.

He really could make up a 3'6" jumper- he has all the athleticism and skill, I just haven't had the time.

I guess the best choice would be to offer him up for little or no lease fee until I have some better mileage on him.

Comment

People who are willing to pay extra for leases are either 1) people who want a horse that they can compete with at the nicer shows (now) or 2) novices who need a horse they can really learn from. Since your horse isn't a made show horse, your best bet to get a lease fee out of him would be for him to go to a novice who wants to get started at the local level. Unfortunately, you mention that he isn't really suitable for a novice, and in any case leasing horses out to beginners involves some wear and tear on the horse and regression in their training.

While you might get lucky and be able to find a situation where someone would be willing to pay a lease fee to you on top of his board/etc., it probably is a better economy for you to look for a free lease situation and go for a better rider who is willing to keep your horse at a nicer barn and who also seems to be very reliable and trustworthy.

In your post you hint at the "3'6" jump" that's almost there, and that he could be a dressgae "prospect" but that's a really unrealistic expectation that someone is going to pay you to lease your horse to put this training into it. People lease a horse so it can teach them something, not the other way around. The best you can hope for with a lease is that the horse is well cared for, doesn't get injured, and doesn't require too much re-tuning at the end of the lease.

Comment

I have my proven 3'6" hunter (who wins at AA shows...frequently) on an on-farm free lease right now because the economy is just that bad and no one at our farm can afford a real lease. But it was either that or send him off-farm for a tidy sum but really have no control/input/say over what goes on with him for the next year. I'd rather have his bills covered (or in this case, half covered as it's a half lease) and know that he's getting the best possible care. The kid that's leasing him is only doing 2'9" right now, so I also know that he's not getting pounded into the ground or overfaced. Right now, your horse is staying happy and sound at 2'6"-3'0". If someone were to move him up to 3'6" and have it go badly, you might end up with a sour horse with physical problems. You never know what could happen. Your best bet would be to get him free leased, perhaps just half leased so that you can put some more miles on him before trying to lease him out to go higher.
                    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Comment

It depends. I would talk to your trainer or other trainers who know him. If you boy is easy-peasy except for the big jump, you might be able to get a lease fee out of him. It is always hard to find good horses that can pack a kid around. Your instructor may have someone looking for something to take care of them and be willing to spend a small lease fee.

But I agree that a free lease (pay for expenses) is probably your best best of finding someone quickly and more easily. 3' jumpers with any kind of complication are a hard market.

Comment

Sorry, free. That jump may be there but it is not proven over 15 of them set in a complicated course with a time limit. Never been over a AA course either.

So you really have a local level .6m horse that is too much for your average .6m rider and would need additional funds put into alot of lessons, practice shows and even pro rides to get him there. If the rider wants to stay local at sub 3'? They are not going to give you much.

On top of that, you want a month to month so you can take him back with 30 days notice.

Doubt anybody will bite at that one.

I know this is blunt but with prices off about 40% on finished horses, asking somebody to pay for the priviledge of paying to finish this almost 14 year old horse or stay on the low, local levels is not very attractive.
                        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I agree, Free.

I have a 3' hunter. Safe as can be, many show miles, year end awards, worth his weight in gold. Fabulous Jump, safe enough for a beginner, fun enough for a more advanced rider.

Showed the 3 foot with me, and came Grand Champion year end. Also showed the beginner divisions with a lesson kid and came 3rd year end, after only showing 3 shows (of 6) in that series. He trail-rides, pulls sleds, carries around kids, ponies other horses, is the "go-to" guy. Often times has to go on a "Trailer ride" just to teach other horses how to load and travel safely.

He's up for free on-farm lease. He's my once-in-a-lifetime horse and I don't want to sell him. I still want to keep tabs on him, so am looking for someone to cover his bills and learn all he has to teach them.

A horse who is a "prospect" at anything, is not worth paying money to lease. If I am paying a lease fee, it is a horse who is "made" at something.

Comment

Free. I would not pay to train a horse. You will probably have a hard time finding a free leaser also.

You can get much better horses for free leases. My friend had a lease on a 1.20m jumper. My other friend had a lease on a children's hunter, both which were consistent horses which got them some ribbons at the A shows.

Comment

Here are a couple of comparisons...

A good friend leased a veteran Junior Jumper with mileage at WEF, Indoors etc. Age 16, needed some maintainance. She needed something easy to do AA rated Ch/Ad with. FREE, 12 month lease with good contract.

Another friend needed a packer to move her DD to High Ch/Ad and Low Junior just for a summer season. Former WC horse now age 20ish-under 3k for 4 months.

My own leases were on veteran 3'6" packers as I moved from 2'6" to 3'. All mid teens, all 5k or under for 12 months.

These all found through excellent connections but all in much better markets then today.
                              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I would say that it matters on who gets interested in your horse, and falls in love with him. You may find the perfect match and realize that you would be fine with taking a free lease from them. It is good to be open minded, and you can advertise the lease, and see what you get. You can always lower your expectations later. But if you start out low, there is only so low you can go- which is free. I would say it is fine to test the market. I think you are coming up on a good time, since most leases I know about that are yearly- end in december.

I had an aged TB that I leased out for 6 months of show season every year for three years. I charged more because of them not taking the whole year, but the kid was good with him, fell in love with him when they tried him, and I made it so they could lease to buy. It is a risky way of making money, with your investment at total exposure, and personally I will never do an off-farm lease again.

I don't think it is far fetched to think that you could make a lease fee, but be realistic that it may not happen as well

Comment

Working...
                                X