• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Importance of Basics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of Basics?

I am a very frusterated rider right now. I have been riding horses for years on the flat, and have had lots of dressage experience. I began to ride at a new barn, with a new trainer because i really want to get into hunter/jumpers!! I have always been with trainers who stressed the basics to the nth degree!! and i have always appreciated that. Even though it takes longer to progress this way I feel like learning and doing something thoroughly is the best way. My dressage trainer was such a stickler. We never competed above training, but I could ride a training level test way better than a lot of the girls I showed against who were competing at first level and beyond.
    I am not familiar with how most people teach jumping, but I feel like the way i am being taught is very all over the place. I would like to point out that i have never felt unsafe and have saints of lesson horses who I have rode who could easily get me out of any fix. But after my first ride where I basically exhibited that I am capable of staying on we jumped right in. Within maybe one or two lessons I was jumping 2"6 or so. It wasn't until i started reading this board that I realized this was probably not how most people are taught. Am i right in thinking that you would start out most riders going over poles, then cross rails, then gradually build the height?? Again I have never been scared or anything, but I want to learn to do it right, and have solid basics. I am a little bit of a perfectionist. In your experience how have your trainers gone about teaching (not beginner riders), but beginning jump riders.

Just curious about your experience.

Many roads lead to Rome. Without more info, video or pics, it's hard to say...

My first ever jumping lesson was on a good schoolie. The trainer didn't know that I had never jumped and I got thrown into the circle to death/doom/whatever-you-want-to-call-it at 2'3 and 2'6. It wasn't until the lesson was done that I confessed I'd never jumped. He was surprised. I can only assume the surprise was because I wasn't horrible at it.

Granted, I had spent a good nine months or so just doing flatwork. But I had never even gone over a pole before this jumping lesson.

Generally speaking, yes you'd want to learn to ride related distances over poles and small fences before moving up. But if you have a solid position, and good feel that allows you to keep a horse straight and on a good rhythm, you might be a bit more ahead of the game than you think.

Comment

Just like I would expect a well-trained dressage horse to pick up jumping easily -- given even a modicum of natural talent -- I would expect a well schooled dressage rider to pick up jumping easily, as well.

Plus, one issue I see with dressage riders who switch to H/J is that they want to manage ever.single.stride.all.the.time. And that's not really how it's done.

So as long as you don't feel unsafe, I'd relax a little bit and enjoy the change of pace. Let your horse do its job and take a deep breath.
      Originally posted by tidy rabbit
      Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

Originally posted by ExJumper View Post
        Just like I would expect a well-trained dressage horse to pick up jumping easily -- given even a modicum of natural talent -- I would expect a well schooled dressage rider to pick up jumping easily, as well.

Plus, one issue I see with dressage riders who switch to H/J is that they want to manage ever.single.stride.all.the.time. And that's not really how it's done.

So as long as you don't feel unsafe, I'd relax a little bit and enjoy the change of pace. Let your horse do its job and take a deep breath.
        ^^^This.

Obviously you can ride if he's having you jump already. If I had someone come to me that I could see handle a horse w/t/c well, I would start them on a cross rails and go from there. In one lesson, I could have someone jumping 2'3 (assuming they could flat properly and did crossrails perfectly fine).

Its done differently for beg.inn.ers and green horses. If you haven't sat on a horse, sometimes trainers (when your trotting) will introduce trot poles for something to do. Works on steering, staying in the center, keeping pace and eyes up. It gets boring trotting circles for an hour....

ETA: Basics are important. The dead basics in jumping is FLATWORK.

Comment

I personally would start you over ground poles, x's and then progress. probably progressing much faster than I would a rider with less basics in flatwork however. I won't say it's "right" or "wrong" but you may want to express your concersn to your instructor and let jher know if you would feel more comfortable moving a bit slower.
          www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Jumping is flatwork with an interuption. If you had a solid seat it is not suprising that you went straight to jumping. I think a lot of work over crossrails and poles is to build strength in your two point.

Once you get timing down (which is more about mileage than anything) then the basics of jumping are to ride up to and away from the jump correctly- using good half halts, supporting leg and hand, maintaining a solid pace, making good turns, staying straight.

If you are solid, on a solid horse it might be easier to learn timing and position over a larger jump then a step over crossrail.

Comment

I am friends with an ex dressage rider who started jumping probably about a year ago? She is now doing 3'7-3'9" and doing WELL at shows. Spent many years riding dressage so with jumping all she had to do was develop her eye and timing.

So no, I don't think where you are right now is unreasonable if you are a competent rider on the flat. I did start out where you think you should be starting out (crossrails, ground poles, etc) but I was a rank beginner. Never really "rode" until about 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by horsecrazyme View Post
                I am a very frusterated rider right now. I have been riding horses for years on the flat, and have had lots of dressage experience. I began to ride at a new barn, with a new trainer because i really want to get into hunter/jumpers!! I have always been with trainers who stressed the basics to the nth degree!! and i have always appreciated that. Even though it takes longer to progress this way I feel like learning and doing something thoroughly is the best way. My dressage trainer was such a stickler. We never competed above training, but I could ride a training level test way better than a lot of the girls I showed against who were competing at first level and beyond.
                I am not familiar with how most people teach jumping, but I feel like the way i am being taught is very all over the place. I would like to point out that i have never felt unsafe and have saints of lesson horses who I have rode who could easily get me out of any fix. But after my first ride where I basically exhibited that I am capable of staying on we jumped right in. Within maybe one or two lessons I was jumping 2"6 or so. It wasn't until i started reading this board that I realized this was probably not how most people are taught. Am i right in thinking that you would start out most riders going over poles, then cross rails, then gradually build the height?? Again I have never been scared or anything, but I want to learn to do it right, and have solid basics. I am a little bit of a perfectionist. In your experience how have your trainers gone about teaching (not beginner riders), but beginning jump riders.

Just curious about your experience.
                Actually, IME, the biggest challenge dressage riders tend to have in learning to jump is to create the correct canter out of the corner, and then to simply *allow* that canter all the way down to the jump, staying softly in balance with the horse (and not, as someone else noted, "micro managing" every stride.)

That is often easier and more efficient to practice when there is a small jump (2'3" or 2'6") for the horse to make a little effort over rather than a pole on the ground, unless the rider is scared, which you say you are not.

Sounds to me like your instructor is proceeding in a reasonable manner, but definitely voice your concerns to her if you feel at all over-faced.
                We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I don't think your instructor's approach is unreasonable, as those are not enormous jumps.

Perhaps ask her to put you through some gymnastics at that height so you can accustom your body to the sensation/position, before moving on to singles and lines, which are harder to ride.
                  Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

I had been riding for about 5 years when I had my first jumping lesson. I found it much more difficult to trot a 12 inch verticle than to canter a 2 foot jump. There's something awkward about trotting low "fences". I could never tell what my body was supposed to be doing and I couldn't feel whether the horse is going to "jump" or "hop" or trot with the front legs and hop the back legs over the rail. Other than working on straightness and pace, which can just as easily be done with a flat ground pole, I've never been certain of what exactly is the benefit of trotting anything higher than a cavaletti but lower than 2 feet for someone who doesn't know how to jump but is a pretty safe/sold rider otherwise.

OP, Perhaps your trainer feels the same way. I'd be interested to know if he/she has a reason. I was never comfortable asking my trainer because I didn't want to seem like I was complaining about putting in the time doing the little stuff.

Comment

Thanks guys! I guess I am just over thinking things as usually It totally makes sense now! Trotting over ground poles isn't going to help me strengthen my leg, because it won't even move me, but going over the bigger stuff will. Also going over little stuff isn't going to help me with seeing distances. Man is seeing distances a difficult thing for me. Thank goodness my lesson buddy is such a packer It makes total sense that a rider with some experience would be started a totally different way than a beginner beginner.

Comment

If seeing distances is a hard thing for you I recommend that you quit looking! I frequently remind myself to ride the horse, not the jump. If you focus on your canter, maintaing a steady pace, keeping the horse straight and riding the correct line to the jump a distance should present itself (A distance, not the PERFECT distance). A well schooled lesson horse should respond readily to your leg and rein aids if you need to make slight adjustments a few strides out.

However, if you are having a terribly difficult time finding a safe distance because you aren't sure what a good distance is, it is advisable to work over poles. Pole work allows you to train your eye without wasting your horse's jumps.

Comment

If seeing distances is a hard thing for you I recommend that you quit looking!

Especially at 2'6"...I only really understood what seeing a spot really meant when I worked my butt off all summer and started to school lines at 3'3" and 3'6" on a horse that needed help finding the distances. Got to ride another horse that pretty well found them himself at that height.

You can't learn to jump with flatwork. You also probably shouldn't try to jump WITHOUT the flatwork, mind. You have to go over jumps. If you already have a secure seat and leg, you're, ummm, there.

One of the jumping barns I have taken lessons at didn't have a horse under 16hh on the property. They didn't screw around with cross-rails and 18" verticals...because they used cavaletti that high. The horses only started jumping around 2'6"-2'9". The horses were well-schooled by high level riders at that height (and much higher.) Lower jumps made the horses confused, sloppy and more difficult for the green riders. Some trainers get way too hung up on keeping you at a certain height. The truth of the matter is that if you want to learn to JUMP, you need to present something to the horse that he will actually jump clean (not canter, not deer jump, not pop.) Some school horses are brilliant from ground poles on up in 6" increments. Lots aren't.

My horse won't jump a rail set under 2'. He just won't. If it's in the middle of a COURSE, he might get the idea, but you can't just canter him at an obstacle that hits him about mid-cannon and expect anything other than a choppy stride over it. You want a real, predictable, nice jump? Just set the fence a tick higher.
                          Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by ExJumper View Post

This ^ again.....

When I was a kid learning I don't think I ever jumped a ground pole.... I jump more ground poles as an adult than I ever did when I was younger.
                            Live in the sunshine.
                            Swim in the sea.
                            Drink the wild air.

Comment

How about instead of making it about you, make it about the horse.

instead of being frustrated,
                              think about what the horse can teach you.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry. For tomorrow we die.

Comment

^^ That's a good point.

Like the horse I'm riding in lessons right now who really cracks his back over the jumps. I really have to make sure that certain things are in place (eyes up, heels down, etc.) otherwise I'm going to get popped out of the tack. On other horses I've ridden recently they've jumped flatter which makes it easier to stay with the motion - little errors here and there don't get magnified liek they do on the other horse.

So I figure that by riding this one for now it will force me to be more careful about my position

Comment

Working...
                                X