• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

h/j riders & safety vests?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• h/j riders & safety vests?

any hunter or jumper riders willing to talk to me about whether they would consider wearing an air vest for an upcoming column? if so, please contact me at
    jodybjaffe@aol.com

next column appears on the chron website monday: talking to the animals (what my horses have to say about rory's spook and their lives here on finally farm).

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/road-recovery
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...rehabilitation

thanks
    jody jaffe

Originally posted by jody jaffe View Post
    any hunter or jumper riders willing to talk to me about whether they would consider wearing an air vest for an upcoming column? if so, please contact me at
    jodybjaffe@aol.com

next column appears on the chron website monday: talking to the animals (what my horses have to say about rory's spook and their lives here on finally farm).

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/road-recovery
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...rehabilitation

thanks
    jody jaffe
    Hi Jody,

It is a little hard to tell from your post - but are you interested in talking to both people who will and won't wear a vest? I'd be happy to help with your article, but have to admit that the thought of wearing a vest while riding does not appeal to me at ALL.

Hope your recovery is going well, either way!

ETA: Not opposed to vests at all in a general sense; I have a great friend who had a few bad falls and started wearing one years ago. She (understandably) had significant confidence issues and the vest was the "magic" trick that allowed her to get back in the saddle. It also helped a *great deal* in making her family more comfortable with that choice.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Can't resist

Are you interested in those who would wear an air vest while reading the column or writing it?

Comment

Safety vests

Please note: for eventers a "standard" body protector must be worn with the inflatable vests. A regular body protector goes a long way in limiting injury in falls. The Inflatable vests are still very controversial in Event world and are large and awkward to work with at first pretty much designed for upper level eventing speeds and jump size If the ride is merely worried about rolling off best to get a standard body protector much simpler to wear and does the job just fine for the less risky stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Cookiewoo View Post
          Are you interested in those who would wear an air vest while reading the column or writing it?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Cookiewoo View Post
            hooked on my own pitard!! very funny.

both

Comment

Originally posted by Outyougo View Post
              Please note: for eventers a "standard" body protector must be worn with the inflatable vests. A regular body protector goes a long way in limiting injury in falls. The Inflatable vests are still very controversial in Event world and are large and awkward to work with at first pretty much designed for upper level eventing speeds and jump size If the ride is merely worried about rolling off best to get a standard body protector much simpler to wear and does the job just fine for the less risky stuff
              Agree w/ what you say but many event riders are wearing the air vests when schooling at home as well; and I've an acquaintance who was schooling cross country - amateur rider who is by no means an advanced level rider.. competes at Novice - had a bad crash and is quite grateful she was wearing an air vest- she's pretty certain her injuries would have been more substantial had not been for the air vest..
              that said...the controversy about the vests safety continues in the eventing world... most event riders are only wearing the air vests on the X-country phase, not show jumping phase. However, if they do, it's probably more to do going straight to XC after show jumping round...

What is crazy is why aren't there more (or any) foxhunters who wear more safety equipment. Every week I hear of another Fox Hunter getting medivac'd out from the hunt field because of some injury... last weekend at an opening hunt a few riders still wore the traditional hunt cap...

Good luck w/ the article

Comment

I think we should make a move toward safety vests (perhaps not air vests, but vests of some sort) being standard attire in the H/J ring. I would definitely wear one and have been thinking about purchasing one for a while.

The main question I have to ask is ... why not? If it prevents one injury over the course of my equestrian career it will be money well spent, and given my history I think it is quite likely that would happen.

I'm not as keen on the air vests because you have to separate from your horse for them to work, and my worst falls have been when the horse fell on me. Also, there are fewer rotational falls in H/J, injuries tend to be from getting stepped or less often rolled on, which a normal vest would protect from. But if they could figure out a good, non-bulky combination vest I would wear it.

Comment

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post
                  I think we should make a move toward safety vests (perhaps not air vests, but vests of some sort) being standard attire in the H/J ring. I would definitely wear one and have been thinking about purchasing one for a while.

The main question I have to ask is ... why not? If it prevents one injury over the course of my equestrian career it will be money well spent, and given my history I think it is quite likely that would happen.

I'm not as keen on the air vests because you have to separate from your horse for them to work, and my worst falls have been when the horse fell on me. Also, there are fewer rotational falls in H/J, injuries tend to be from getting stepped or less often rolled on, which a normal vest would protect from. But if they could figure out a good, non-bulky combination vest I would wear it.
                  There is nothing to preclude you from wearing a vest in the H/j ring - while not seen, there is no rule against the wearing of a vest in the show ring... there are definitely some that look better than others.. and based on your post you might want to invest in one anyway - just as easy to get seriously injured at home vs. at a show. Funny I'm almost considering getting one to wear at home as well... and am amazed that no foxhunters seem to want to wear them - I've just heard a rash of folks being injured hunting over the past few weeks in my area

Comment

In ten or 15 years we will all wear them I'm sure, it's just a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post
                      Originally posted by gottagrey View Post
                      There is nothing to preclude you from wearing a vest in the H/j ring - while not seen, there is no rule against the wearing of a vest in the show ring.
                      Not only is there no rule against it, there is a rule that specifically says you may not be penalized for it. So if you want to wear one, go ahead. There are some people who do show in them all the time.

USEF GR801.4

4. Any exhibitor may wear protective headgear (ASTM/SEI) and/or a protective safety vest, specifically designed for use in equestrian sport in any division or class without penalty from the judge. The Federation recommends that the vest meet or surpass the current ASTM standard or be certified by the Safety Equipment Institute.

Comment

About three years ago now, my husband and I went for a week of intensive lessons at a large riding school in Germany. One of the highlights was watching the evening lessons of the local juniors. There were probably 30 of them in the ring at the same time and they were all capable riders--they were jumping at least 3'6". They ALL wore body protectors--they were standard equipment. The one girl who wound up in the dirt at the base of the first jump was probably grateful for hers!

I'm not proud. When I get to the point at home where I'm jumping regularly, I'm planning on wearing one. Don't know if I'll show in it though. But things do change--look at bull riders. Never in a million years did I think I'd see macho cowpokes in flak jackets, neck protectors, and helmets!

Comment

I've always worn a safety vest (not air) for the past eight years. Saved me in several jumping falls. But I don't wear it when I show, though I've considered wearing a thinner one under my show coat.

Comment

• Original Poster

these thoughtful comments are great. plan to use them in my column. thanks so much.
                            jj

Comment

I think the air vest is overkill for hunter/jumpers, but I think the tipperary type vest probably is a good idea. They're pretty comfortable unless the temperatures are unbearable, and they look pretty sharp, too. The vests would actually be a more formal look than polo shirts for jumpers, for example.

And hey, maybe canary yellow vests would come back in fashion.
                              If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Hi Jody -- as you know, I'm not an H/J rider, but wanted to pipe up anyway.

I started wearing my vest in competition for SJ (at events) at my husband's request. As noted above, it is always legal. In local events, it's fairly common when we do SJ and then hustle right over to XC these days. But I have also competed in events where SJ is on a different day from XC. There I have to wear my jacket, and I end up wearing my vest over the jacket.
                                Looks dreadful.
                                But not as bad as a cast.

The two worst crashes I have had as an eventer (including one which sent me to the ER on a backboard) have been in stadium. I have since started wearing my vest every time I jump, on every horse. At an event I has at recently, a rider's horse literally tripped right before a stadium fence and flipped on her. Luckily she was wearing a vest as XC followed immediately.

I do not have an air vest -- I am not certain yet that we have enough data to show that it would not cause harm in some cases (however, contrary to what the previous poster said, they are not intended only for "big fences" and "high rates of speed" and I know several people who have been very happy to be wearing them during stadium falls). Clearly there are falls in which it would help, so if additional data comes in, I'll happily add one to my arsenal.

However, the air vests should only be worn over the regular vest, and since hardly any h/jers wear regular vests, shouldn't we start with those?
                                The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

I agree that the air vest seems like it would be too cumbersome for h/j riders. Having said that, I've never tried one out, so I can't say for sure. I'm definitely curious to learn more about them, though.

Comment

Canadian Grand Prix rider Margie Gayford competes in a vest (http://www.equinecanada.ca/index.php...112&Itemid=413 ). I don't know if there is any sort of story behind why/if she wears them on every horse etc.

When I was coaching, some of the kids' parents preferred that they wear them when the fences started to get a little bit bigger (stadium & cross country), and I was absolutely supportive of that. Occasionally, the kids would say they didn't want to wear them (especially when it got really hot!) and we would discuss the fact that it in addition to be another type of protective equipment for them, it made their parents more comfortable with them participating in a risky sport (esp as the fences got a little bigger). Of course, they wore them every time they went cross country in competition or schooling. I wore mine every time cross country as well. When the kids wore them in jumper classes, they wore them over their jackets. I've never seen anyone successfully camouflage one UNDER the jacket; you can totally tell anyway, so my kids always wore them over their properly fitted jacket, with the vest the same colour as the jacket (navy or black). We never received any comments from other coaches/competitors/judges. Wasn't a big deal at all (though we weren't doing hunters).
                                    Founder of the "I met a COTHer in a foreign country" clique!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by asterix View Post

However, the air vests should only be worn over the regular vest, and since hardly any h/jers wear regular vests, shouldn't we start with those?
                                      sorry to hear about your crashes, and glad you're wearing the vest in sj. i never understood why eventers, normally more safety conscious than we hunters, didn't wear them in sj. jumping's jumping, even when the fences collapse, you can still have injuries.

as for the air vests, they look less cumbersome to me in pictures. admittedly i've never seen one in person. i've ridden in a regular vest and know how it feels (a little constricting, I must admit -- or i may i had it on wrong, entirely possible). i know a few people who have ordered the air vest and plan to ride in just that one. i'll be riding in one to see how it feels.

also, i've heard talk (and i plan to research further to find out if there's any truth to this) that at some point the air vest will be enough. anyone know anything about that?

coming on monday: my horses have their say.

best
                                      jj

Comment

Air vests. I wear one every time I ride and I ride h/j. I do not wear it when I show, at least not yet... perhaps the time will come when I feel less silly wearing one off the farm! I kind of tend to overheat easily, and wearing a standard safety vest didn't appeal to me for that reason and also because they tend to be a bit bulky. A friend in the barn loaned me her air jacket (a Point Two) to try out after I had a fall and lost a bunch of confidence, and I really liked it, so I bought my own. I've had one fall in it (stupid fall - ran into deer while out hacking, pony turned into a spinning top!) and I am absolutely certain that it saved my back from a substantial amount of pain, if nothing else. It deployed as advertised and I am very pleased with my purchase.
                                        Last edited by Across Sicily; Nov. 13, 2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X