• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff: What would it take...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff: What would it take...

...for you to sell that special horse?

There's a saying that "everything has a price." What amount of money would it take for you to sell that one special horse in your life?

I like to think the answer about my special horse is "no amount of money." But reality is that there is a figure somewhere that would shift the balance. I'm not sure what it is right now, but it's there. I've been offered six-figures for him more than once and turned it down, but that was when I was much more well-off financially, and in a much different place in my life. But I think I'd STILL turn down those same offers. I've never had any regrets about not selling him...and I think I would DEFINITELY regret letting him go.

So...what are YOUR thoughts?
    Whoever said money can't buy happiness never owned a horse.

Good question. It's so variable and a decision to sell or not (even to consider the horse as a commodity or a singular life to be protected) comes from some really personal decisions.

I grew up po' folks and rode other peoples' horses for the first 10 years or so. I never had the opportunity to control what happened to horses, so I adjusted to that. I loved them and cared for them while they were in my care and that's all. It was realistic.

I also bought and sold horses along the same lines.

Then I bred one. Initially, he was an "investment" (don't laugh.) He had a price.

By the time I had developed him into a useful horse and anyone would pay what was fair, however, I realized that the folks who would want him didn't have the skill to preserve him. This was a kind, easy horse who could take one (or many) riders from nothing to Children's Hunters or 3' Equitation. He also stayed sound in part because I rode him and shod him really well.

Somewhere along the line, I began to feel that I had larger responsibility to this horse than one I had merely purchased. He exists-- to be happy or to suffer-- only because I said so and created him. That made it too hard to take the money and go.

But being that po' folks realist, with a long history of trying to improve my riding against some long odds, I don't want to own horses "no matter what" or forever. For this reason, I'll never breed another one and go back to my original strategy of doing the best I can while I own them (including finding the next great home) and that's it.

I won't own a horse I can't afford to care for and market well. Insofar as I can afford the "going" useful horse, I also know I can afford him as a retiree should things go fubar. So I'm not part of the camp who says they can't afford their retired horse (....and the animal they find more useful.) But man, that truth sucks. At present, it means I'm not doing what I want with my riding or horses, but giving the one I bred a great life in semi-retirement.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Well, Lucky is not a show horse. He's a plain bay, lightly-framed OTTB without flashy gates or a stylish jump. He IS rock-steady, calm, and safe. He has the kind of brain that IMO makes a horse worth his weight in gold. But people don't pay big money for that, so I can't see being offered my tipping point.

However, if someone came along and offered me $50k or more, I would be very, VERY hard-pressed to say no. That would pay off my entire mortgage with change left over.
      Author Page
      Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
      Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

There are so many variables, but to put it simply, $20,000 or so more than what I think they are realistically priced.

Obviously, who purchased the horse would be much more important to me that for how much.
        Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
        Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
        Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Comment

An amount that would greatly impact my life.

If I was extremely poor, obviously, that number would be different that if I was extremely wealthy.
          When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Comment

I don't know that it's so much the price, as the conditions that go along with it. I wouldn't sell my horse for any amount of money to a bad home, or one I even had suspicions about. If rich daddy wanted to buy him for the bratty kid who would rip on his face and beat him around and generally ruin him, then cast him off as useless...I wouldn't sell him for a million bucks. I'd have to live with it, and feel bad about it, for the rest of my life.

Now, if a perfect home with loving, knowledgable people offered me an outrageous price...I'd probably take it, and give another broken down racehorse (or two!) another chance.

Fat chance though
            The best is yet to come

Comment

I'd free-lease him to a deserving kid (with a phenomenal home I could visit once a week if I wanted) rather than selling him. He's another worth his weight in gold, babysits beginners but talent to go very far.

I've been offered mid-5 figures for him, which I laugh and giggle that I bought him for $500. Even my barn owner, who knows his story, offered me low 5. But nah... he's mah baby and I'm really particular about who even gets to groom him. I think mid 6's might make me budge, but it have to be VERY specific terms.
              Fourth N' Goal Training LLC.
              ~Specializing in Mom and Kid Approved Equitation and Jumper Horses

*Horse Collector Status = Six Pack*

Comment

For me personally, there would be no amount as long as I am comfortably able to care for her. (yes, she is a mare, maybe I'm crazy!)

However, I would have to think real hard if someone offered me six figures for her. Nope, she's not worth that at this time, but in a couple of years with some mileage, very possible. I guess I would need to be put in the situation in real life with someone waving that kind of money in my face to know for sure what I'd do.
                Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

Comment

Im with the poster that said who and where they would be going/living.

But if they were paying the amount of money I would want well then im positive there facilities and income are much better/greater than my own. But, just beacause they have the money does not mean its a good home !!!!
                  Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

Comment

agreed that it would really depend on the circumstances of the sale and where I was in my life personally and financially. But, I imagine if someone came along and wanted my horse for some sum in the six figures, it would be REALLY hard to say no. Never going to happen, but still...

Comment

100K and a good home. Meaning a home that is not going to just use him for what he knows. Someone who will remain as "his person" for his lifetime. He would not be sold as an "in between horse" only as a forever horse to someone.

Harsh conditions eh? That is why this special guy is mine

Comment

Originally posted by CanTango1 View Post
                        But if they were paying the amount of money I would want well then im positive there facilities and income are much better/greater than my own. But, just beacause they have the money does not mean its a good home !!!!

Yes. Not going to bother crowding with names, but I can think of several people that certainly have the means to buy and maintain any horse in tip top shape. It's how they are treated, and most importantly, what is done with them when they are no longer "useful" that would concern me the most.
                        The best is yet to come

Comment

Opposite problem

Then I bred one. Initially, he was an "investment" (don't laugh.) He had a price.
                          I had the opposite problem. I bred one to be my next dressage horse. It took me three years to get it through my thick skull that she didn't want to do that and wanted to jump instead. So, although she was bred to be mine and I never intended to sell her, I've come to the conclusion that it would really be the best thing for her. Ironic huh.
                          Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

Originally posted by CanTango1 View Post
                            Im with the poster that said who and where they would be going/living.

Yeah, someone who offered me $55k is in a MUCH better position than I am to pamper him as he deserves.
                            Author Page
                            Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                            Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

I suppose one can never say for sure until they are in this position, but I really don't think I would sell my horse for any amount of money. He's my buddy and my pet as well as a riding animal. I would not sell him for the same reason I would not sell my pet cat. Honestly, even if someone offered me $100,000 for him (he is not worth anywhere close to that), I would not have trouble saying "no." Just the thought of not having him in my life would be enough to stop me from taking the offer.

It also helps that my job involves a lot of looking at/dealing with large sums of money on paper. You know how some people are desensitized to violence? I'm desensitized to seeing/thinking about large sums of money. So the prospect of getting $100,000 does not dazzle me that much, even though I know in my head that it would have a significant impact on my life.

That said, I would have to sell him if I was ever in a situation where I could not provide proper care for him anymore. However, that has more to due with being humane than any monetary gain. In fact, if it came to that, obtaining a high price (or any price, really) from his sale would be pretty darn secondary to finding him a good, safe home.

Comment

I am with the poster that said "a life-changing amount", whatever that would mean relative to each person's own situation. I have also been known to sell a horse for much less than value to a person who is a perfect match and truly loves them.

Comment

I'm going to have a different perspective than some folks on here because I grew up dreaming about owning a horse, couldn't even take lessons as a kid, and made it my goal in life to own my dream horse(s). I worked 2 jobs and saved up to get my gelding 5 years ago. He *is* the horse of my dreams, and I wouldn't sell him for any amount of money. I got him from a rescue (was almost starved to death) and made a promise to him that he would have to deal with me forever - I intend to keep it.

My mare.... I searched for over a year until I found her. And I love her with all of my heart. If I was ever in a financial straight where I *had* to sell a horse and I had no other alternative, then I would sell her (loving home and first right of refusal would be a must, price would be secondary). However, if someone just walked up to me and offered me some ridiculous amount of money, I would never sell her, no matter what the price.

I <3 my kids. They are my dream come true!
                                  ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
                                  4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

Low-mid-5 figures. I love my girl, but I know that she is limited on how far she can take me. She definitely isn't a beginner's mount as she is headstrong and stubborn, yet needs a fairly quiet ride (except for a few "Yo! Listen up you darn pony!" moments). I'd prefer a good lease situation than an out-right sale.
                                    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Comment

There is no amount of money that I would consider for my horse of a lifetime.

She is way too good to me and has been since the day I bought her.

Comment

I was exceedingly lucky to find my horse of a lifetime at the top of my budget, and well below what he was worth. (The owner knew this, and lowered the price for me because she saw how well matched we were - he's the only horse she has ever sold.)

He's my 6th or 7th horse, depending if you count one of my mom's horses who I rode for several years. I've sold all my other horses to the right homes, each for far less than I could have gotten in order to place them well.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't sell my heart horse for 10 times what his top potential worth is. But then we're in the process of buying a house for his sake - so he can have as much turnout as we want, be in a barn at night in winter and day during the summer, and ensure we have somewhere to keep him when he's ready to retire. We won't have a mortgage. I wouldn't quit working if I could afford it, as I absolutely love engineering. So there's not really any kind of significant life change I could see happening that would make me sell him.

Now, if it were down to a situation of medical bills needing to be paid and he could save a life if I sold him, it might be different. I pray I never have a situation where selling him is the way to handle some sort of tough situation. If I did, I am pretty sure I couldn't do that unless it were to a great home.

I would lease him once he needs a step down in work from the work I do with him. I actually think I will likely lease him when he's older (by about 12 years!), as he's a horse who likes to have something to do. If I have kids, maybe he'll be a kids' horse. But if I lease him anywhere, I'll check on him regularly or make him stay at my house. I absolutely adore this boy, and while I loved my other horses and cried many tears over selling them, I had no idea how much stronger the attachment could be to a heart horse.
                                        Originally posted by Silverbridge
                                        If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Working...
                                        X