• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Clipping my horse, parents and trainer against it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipping my horse, parents and trainer against it?

Let's start off by explaining my situation. I just graduated from college last May and was lucky enough to land a job. I have finally saved up enough to board my horse out where I work in Cortland. He was just moved to the new barn yesterday.

I appreciate my parents and my trainer (who is now like a second grandmother to me I have been so close and with her for so long) dropping him off and making sure everything is okay, but having them lecture the people at the barn about NOT letting me clip him was embarrassing... and a little frustrating.

He is currently in Cortland, NY. I haven't experience a winter here yet, but attended Cazenovia College, where all the lesson horses were clipped and blanketed with a stable blanket and turnout blanket.

After they left yesterday, I rode my fuzzball/yak/wooly mammoth yesterday, and even after a light ride of trotting and little cantering, he was sweating ridiculously. I want to clip him, but haven't ever clipped my own horse in the winter, only in the spring when he had a sheet on.

My trainer proceeded to call me after she got home to make sure I wasn't going to clip him or he was going to get sick.

What do I do? He's going to be ridden every day for at least 30 min to an hour, and the fact that it takes an hour+ to dry him off makes me just want to clip him. He will be blanketed (He usually gets a stable blanket and sheet in the winter anyway).

I don't think clipping him will be a problem as long as he's blanketed properly, but how do I let my parents know that he's going to be okay? Is it alright that I clip him?

I just want to make sure everything is okay before I give myself the green light to clip him as long as he has blankets to cover his naked self.

Ideas? Suggestions? No matter how many examples I give my parents of horses that are body clipped, they just don't think he should be clipped.

I would say "Mom and Dad and Aunt Trainer, I appreciate your help, support and input, but now that I am caring for Poopsie on my own I find that I do not have enough time to properly dry him out after he sweats so I have decided to clip him"

Or just clip him and say nothing. If they "catch" you you tell them you appreciate their input but clipping was best for him and you in your new situation.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

If he's blanketed and in work, then he should be clipped! What good does having long hair do if it's flattened with blankets??? He'll actually probably get colder with the long hair because after riding if he's not totally dry and then blanketed and turned out he won't retain body warmth properly and get a chill that way! I live in a climate that regularly gets to -30C (Alberta, Canada) and ALL of our horese are clipped (except for the legs) and in full work and we blanket to turn out!!

CLIP HIM!!!!
      Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Comment

Happy medium--do a light trace clip and make sure you still cool him out thoroughly after you ride.

That is if you are the one footing ALL of his bills. If not, then sorry, they still have a say.

Comment

Why not compromise....do a trace clip.
          To Teach is to learn twice.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingcreek View Post
            Why not compromise....do a trace clip.
            Jinx

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for your input. They don't pay for any bills and don't really have a say anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys think so I could justify it in case I was questioned!

I have considered doing different clips instead of a full body clip - and he does have a 400g turnout blanket and rubbermaid bins full of sheets and stable blankets in case the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Comment

Originally posted by horsegal301 View Post
                Thanks for your input. They don't pay for any bills and don't really have a say anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys think so I could justify it in case I was questioned!

I have considered doing different clips instead of a full body clip - and he does have a 400g turnout blanket and rubbermaid bins full of sheets and stable blankets in case the weather takes a turn for the worse.
                I am quite north of you (almost Canada LOL), but around here there is only one person I know of who does a full body clip....but her horse never goes out in winter and is blanketed head-to-toe pretty much year round (he's a leopard spotted Appy that is mostly white).

In this area, I would most likely only do a trace clip, because it's just so stinking cold in the winter and I hate having to put horses in hoods. Mind you, I only ride 3-4 days a week and am not schooling any that I ride over fences right now. I won't ride if it's below 15 degrees, either....too cold for my blood!

Comment

I third (or fourth) the idea of a trace clip. I just did one on my horse and it's making life so much easier. I might even go a little further with it since she's still getting sweatier that I'd like, but I live in the Mid-Atlantic so it usually doesn't get too cold here, nothing like what you get in upstate NY.

Comment

I have full clipped my horse years on end. Important is that he is blanketed accordingly and has a stall for night.

Me thinks that your trainer and parents only know NY to be freezing and snowey when infact it is quite livable here compared to say, Canada

I would have been a bit like wtf if my trainer/prents gave the new barn staff a run down of why you are not to clip your horse. But then again, Parents pay the bills

Comment

You need to help them see the error of their ways.... that the apron strings can and should be cut.

If you can't make a decision about when to clip your own damned horse after you have graduated from college and gotten a job, then when is the right time?

Or let your Mama(s) know that they can helicopter in and hand walk him until he's dry in the dark cold of Central NY after work if they want to keep him furry.
                      The armchair saddler
                      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I'm in a similar (if not colder) climate & I full body clip all winter (and fall & spring). I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to it. There is no reason NOT to. I think if your horse is in full work and sweats when you ride & takes forever to cool down/dry out afterward it's kind of cruel not to clip him - as long as you can bundle him up in a cozy blanket!
                        I live in an area with lots and lots of barns, mostly show barns, and I don't know anyone (really!) that doesn't full body clip their horse. Many get all day turnout (wearing appropriate clothing for the temperature - 400 grams is pretty heavy for all day, he might get too hot in the middle of the day if the sun comes out) and they'll be out in the cold and snow happily snug in their snowsuits. Even neck covers are rare.
                        Clip the poor horse and save him and yourself grief.

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post

Or let your Mama(s) know that they can helicopter in and hand walk him until he's dry in the dark cold of Central NY after work if they want to keep him furry.
                          Heh heh heh. That's the ticket.
                          Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

I like a clip like this for horses who get sweaty, but not enough to need a full body clip. And it looks cool . http://i51.tinypic.com/2z9fmlu.jpg

I prefer to leave the legs furry, but I did that before and the barn people clipped the legs later . So with this guy, I clipped to his knees and blended the hair so his lower legs are still furry.
                            Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                            Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                            VW sucks.

Comment

Trace clip all the way!

If your horse is furry and blanketed, he may well overheat even when he's not being ridden.

I think it's kinder to help your horse regulate his body heat in the winter through clipping if you are going to keep him in work.

I do a trace clip on my boy and then blanket him. He lives out 24/7 and has been fine.

Here's my horse from last year. So far I've only done a bib clip on him but will be taking more off soon.

http://equineink.com/2009/11/18/free...acing-stripes/
                              Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                              EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Well, I vote with everyone else that you should do what you want. My horses live out in much milder weather and I do self care, so I can't really change up their blankets all the time...
                                I have found a compromise to be a bib clip, similar to the one amastrike shows except I leave the legs furry and do clip to just beyond their girth (that makes a big difference!).

This way I can keep them in plenty of work all winter and only need a waterproof sheet to keep them dry in cold rain. They do fine even down to the 20s and occasional teens, snow, etc. Once in a while I'll use a hair dryer after a workout.

But, in the end, your horse, your decision.
                                The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

CLIP! IMHO, if you ride him unclipped, he gets sweaty. More chance of getting sick b/c he is standing sweaty and cold (of course with a cooler on) in the barn aisle for an HOUR while he dries. Clip him. He's yours. You are an adult now. Go for it.

Comment

Yep, clip him. It is much easier on both of you if he can cool out properly which, unless you have an hour or two (who does!?) to let him completely dry. I lived in Montana for a long time with horses, and finally the winter before I moved away, I trace clipped my horse. It was amazing! To top it off, he spent the winter comfortably turned out 24/7 with a medium-weight turnout and a run-in shed.

I think he is much more likely to get chilled if you are in a hurry and he gets put up damp under his blankets. If your folks and trainer are incensed by your decision, send them here and we'll give them all the good reasons why you made it.
                                    Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

I just did a blanket clip today (i did an apron/bib clip like amastrikes last year only left her legs alone.. but she would be a sweaty mess on warmer days..). I of course say clip him, it will make your life easier

Comment

If you would see the scuz and skin irritation that results from an unclipped horse sweating/drying/sweating/drying over and over again, you wouldn't hesitate to clip him. Unless you are prepared to give him, at a bare minimum, a hose off everytime he sweats after riding, please do your horse a favor and clip him. His skin will thank you for it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X