• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Has anyone ridden/jumped/shown in a Myler three ring combination bit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Has anyone ridden/jumped/shown in a Myler three ring combination bit?

    I just bought one and was considering trying it out on my slightly long backed jumper who tends to lean while turning right.
    I am showing him in a straight bar pelham and he has a good contact on it but three strides to the jump he leans. Also, while turning right (specially in 90º angles to a jump), he requires a series of leg, seat and back maneuvers to keep him from leaning on the right side of the bit, dropping the right shoulder and drifting left (simply turning shouldn't be sooooo complicated). There is no chance I can get a jump from a right to left angle coming in on a right lead without total contact/pull from the right rein: he sees the opening and tries to avoid the jump, but only on his right lead (he's lovely to the left). During the week I flat in a copper mouth gag and jump in the pelham, but I feel I am in control only if he cooperates. The minute he stresses/fits, I have to be forcefull and we all know in modern jump courses there is no space to wonder who's the boss... .
    He is healthy, fit and his teeth are floated recently, so no hidden ailments here.
    I ride him every day with profesional help and he feels great schooling at home (rarely does anything) but when he stresses, right hand stiffness has become his defense mechanism.
    Any opinions on the bit or any other?
    Thanks.
    V
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

    www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

  • #2
    My friend's field hunter goes in one of these in the field and schooling, and shows in a straight pelham for exhibitions. I haven't ridden him, so I wouldn't normally comment, except I've watched him a lot, and he's a terrible turner in the myler. It's just too much bit and the further restriction of forward motion makes him go almost sideways. So I'm going to doubt this is the bit for you, based on that experience.
    Straightness requires forward, not more hand control, and I don't think you can "pull" a horse straight in the circumstances you're describing. I would personally be working on the left leg and indirect left hand so that you can push him straight, and I don't think a particular bit is going to be your answer. In any case, I would definitely stop thinking about the right side as being the stiff one. It's the left side that needs work if that's the way the horse is going.

    Comment


    • #3
      Try some sharper spurs. He sounds like he is running through your left leg. I personally ride in hammerheads because my horse preferred them, but I find that they are infinitely helpful in general for a horse who doesn't need a sharp spur except when they are ignoring your leg, and then you have the corner of that flat end to hook them with.
      -Grace

      Comment

      • Original Poster

        #4
        Great post.

        Originally posted by CBoylen View Post
        My friend's field hunter goes in one of these in the field and schooling, and shows in a straight pelham for exhibitions. I haven't ridden him, so I wouldn't normally comment, except I've watched him a lot, and he's a terrible turner in the myler. It's just too much bit and the further restriction of forward motion makes him go almost sideways. So I'm going to doubt this is the bit for you, based on that experience.
        Straightness requires forward, not more hand control, and I don't think you can "pull" a horse straight in the circumstances you're describing. I would personally be working on the left leg and indirect left hand so that you can push him straight, and I don't think a particular bit is going to be your answer. In any case, I would definitely stop thinking about the right side as being the stiff one. It's the left side that needs work if that's the way the horse is going.
        Yes, it is obvious the left side is the problem here. He is leaning into my left leg. I considered a different bit because he does respond to forward impulsion (although not quite respecting the left aid) but leaning into the pelham. If I could get that forward impulsion with something he respects more, then it would be easier for me to rough up a good kick on the left when he wants to play dirty, but I have to have a steering wheel to veer him where that kick is aimed at. I can probably do this (and I have) if he does it in a large turn right, but if it's a jump just a few strides from the rail (like todays show), I don't have enough control or space to balance him up after the corrective "nudge" of my leg or get the leaning out of him if the distance is a forward one. I just feel he doesn't respect the pelham enough. All is well if he agrees, but the minute he doesn't, I am always winning over his resistance by a wee bit, without much left to spare if he doubles the challenge.
        He has all his basic dressage movements well, except for his countercanter, which I know should be vital for this situation. He immediately resisits and swaps.
        As for progress, he has done a good share, but days of frustration like today eventually come once in a while. We couldn't even mount him in the ring because he would throw a fit. Couldn't even consider riding him in a crop, spurs or even answering your cell phone. Whatever you were wearing when you started, you kept on, so the best desition was to freeze the first few minutes of warm up.
        Nowdays he is pretty sweet although he still takes small things with drama and a snort. He is fearfull and unsecure but more fearful of what a rider will do to him so is brave to go over any jump. I ride him in spurs and a crop, accepts sugar while mounted and is much more secure of people, but the one thing that prevails after 10 months of training is this left side resistance when the going gets rough. I guess he is just insecure about the height change in his shows (he's just turned 7 and is beggining his first 1.30 shows). I feel he doesn't freeze when faced with them but getting rigid is a way of stress and fear. He used to do this much more evidently when I started him in 4ft and now he is very solid in that height. I know I can confirm him in this height if I have enough control to guide him how I think is best and not leave it up to him. That is why I basically was wondering about bits, but good insight is greatly appreciated. I want to be the best I can be with him and I know he has much, much potential so all advice is much appreciated.
        Thank you and let me know more of your thoughts. I highly respect your experience.
        Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

        www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          Thanks for the input.

          Originally posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
          Try some sharper spurs. He sounds like he is running through your left leg. I personally ride in hammerheads because my horse preferred them, but I find that they are infinitely helpful in general for a horse who doesn't need a sharp spur except when they are ignoring your leg, and then you have the corner of that flat end to hook them with.
          He responds to forward well with the spurs I am wearing. He just leans into the forward motion, even when I use more left spur (he speeds up but I can't give that impulsion any direction). That is why I was inquiring about another bit that he migt respect more. He seems ok in the pelham if all is agreeable, but the minute you raise the stakes (speed or angles) he gets stiff knowing he has the strength to get away with it.
          Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

          www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

          Comment


          • #6
            Maybe its more of a schooling issue. Try schooling tight turns into smaller jumps, and that way he wont feel as stressed.
            Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

            FOREVER

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks, I understand your issue much better now, I think.
              What happens when you jump in the gag instead of flatting in it?
              From what I'm picturing, I think you're correct in heading towards an elevator or a gag type bit, but I would think a gag, or maybe a gag with a stronger mouthpiece, would get the the necessary quick lift that you seem to need, rather than encouraging them more to lift and breakover, like the three ring elevator or the pelham. Or maybe the old-school straight elevator someone was asking about on horse care the other night, they'd probably sell it to you cheap .

              Comment


              • #8
                It worked great for our jumper!

                Have a 17.2 hand long backed WB, exact same issue turning right, we use a variety of bits on him, seems to help to keep him guessing.Ours is a comfort snaffle 3 ring w/ rope type hackamore.The nice thing about the Myler is when they lean the shoulder in, if you Pick up your turning rein and then use an indirect outside rein, it will pick him up and lift him out to his outside rear, allowing him to step under with the inside hind, which crates the balance for lifting the inside shoulder instead of leaning his entire left side against your right side and his forehand.We worked on jumping and turning and slicing the jump and turning at very low heights, maybe 3'...and also lots of canter poles and upward to downward transitions....It worked like a charm, HOWEVER< it is Not enough bit for the show ring for the half halt for DD but the results of occasional schooling like above seem to carry over in his turning capablities..We also hack in a d-ring snaffle some days, and if we go for a lesson with trainer use the 3 ring.. then have our show bit, we use just for shows. He is a big Boy with a huge step, kinda like a semi compared to a porsche in turning, and his half halts in the line are better.He can actually add a stride now, if need be, instead of leaving one out which is no problem either...except not what you want to do at 1.30 or more!!
                That's my 2 cents....

                Comment

                • Original Poster

                  #9
                  Sounds coherent...

                  Originally posted by CBoylen View Post
                  Thanks, I understand your issue much better now, I think.
                  What happens when you jump in the gag instead of flatting in it?
                  From what I'm picturing, I think you're correct in heading towards an elevator or a gag type bit, but I would think a gag, or maybe a gag with a stronger mouthpiece, would get the the necessary quick lift that you seem to need, rather than encouraging them more to lift and breakover, like the three ring elevator or the pelham. Or maybe the old-school straight elevator someone was asking about on horse care the other night, they'd probably sell it to you cheap .
                  I have schooled him in his regular gag and he does fine, but he can bully it when necessary. I was also considering a stronger gag, but some say you can hollow their backs over jumps? I don't see how if you have an educated hand (Meredith Beerbaum showed WEG with a gag on Checkmate...not that I'm comparing myself at all, but I would guess someone as acomplished as her would not use it if it was detrimental...). In fact, when I did the Neco Pessoa clinic he said the pelham was a good choice for the moment to encourage him to move towards the jumps with some leaning, but in the future when he's more confident he might need some type of elevation (like his 3 ring Pessoa). That is why I decided to buy the combination bit, because I tried a normal three ring jointed snaffle and he goes up but with a stiff poll (maybe the combination bit helps him break more?). With the gag the effect is the same but with more flexibility. I have a full mouth double jointed wire gag which to me would be too harsh, but you never know. He's managed to grab on to more logical bits...
                  Do you have an online image of a straight elevator bit? Or do you mean the three ring Pessoa? Just to know if we are talking of the same one...I think I have a long shanked elevator that I bought on sale many moons ago and never used it....You can never have too many shoes or too many bits... .
                  Thanks again.
                  Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

                  www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

                  Comment

                  • Original Poster

                    #10
                    Great info!

                    Originally posted by Equsrider View Post
                    Have a 17.2 hand long backed WB, exact same issue turning right, we use a variety of bits on him, seems to help to keep him guessing.Ours is a comfort snaffle 3 ring w/ rope type hackamore.The nice thing about the Myler is when they lean the shoulder in, if you Pick up your turning rein and then use an indirect outside rein, it will pick him up and lift him out to his outside rear, allowing him to step under with the inside hind, which crates the balance for lifting the inside shoulder instead of leaning his entire left side against your right side and his forehand.We worked on jumping and turning and slicing the jump and turning at very low heights, maybe 3'...and also lots of canter poles and upward to downward transitions....It worked like a charm, HOWEVER< it is Not enough bit for the show ring for the half halt for DD but the results of occasional schooling like above seem to carry over in his turning capablities..We also hack in a d-ring snaffle some days, and if we go for a lesson with trainer use the 3 ring.. then have our show bit, we use just for shows. He is a big Boy with a huge step, kinda like a semi compared to a porsche in turning, and his half halts in the line are better.He can actually add a stride now, if need be, instead of leaving one out which is no problem either...except not what you want to do at 1.30 or more!!
                    That's my 2 cents....
                    What do you mean by not enough bit for the show ring for the half halt for DD (is that dressage day in Eventing?). If so, I do jumpers, so the only person grading me for my half halts is me (and I'm not very objective.... ). It does sound it might work. I do many ground pole excercises with him (currently we are working on a figure 8 over a 3'3" vertical, coming back and forth getting the leads and changes nice and light) and it has worked well at home. He just recurs to this when you pressure him in some way (more speed, more angle or more height...or all three).
                    Your info is great. Thanks.
                    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

                    www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      FWIW, I tried my horse in one of these and we lost ALL power steering. It's a lot of bit and gets them to sit up nicely and I loved the way he carried himself on the straight away. But it was just way too much brakes and zero power steering. I'm all about using your legs and body to turn but with this bit I had to amp up leg and seat aids x10 in order to get him to turn. He turns much better in literally every other bit I have ever ridden in.

                      If you have one available to try you can go for it. But I'm not sure I'd go drop the big bucks for one without trying it out first. CBoylen seems to be giving some good advice.

                      Bits my horse turns well in:
                      Double twisted wire full cheek if he's fit and fresh as all get out.
                      French link full cheek when he's being a good boy.
                      A rope hackamore (with a fleece cover) is what I have him in now, turning is not quite stellar but he sits up well in it and doesn't lean with his shoulders.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        [quote=faraway46;5205639]What do you mean by not enough bit for the show ring for the half halt for DD (is that dressage day in Eventing?).

                        No DD is Dear Daughter, at a mere 115 lbs...like I said her horse has a HUGE stride and if she can't get it in check it's a problem...and when he gets into the show ring jumping over 4' he becomes VERY stong at times and latches on to the bit and drags her skinny butt around.He can jump from anywhere, but she really doesn't appreciate the lack of response from him at times, she's walked the course he hasn't and well , he needs to do what she says!!!

                        Comment

                        • Original Poster

                          #13
                          I've already dropped the big bucks...

                          Originally posted by SkipChange View Post
                          FWIW, I tried my horse in one of these and we lost ALL power steering. It's a lot of bit and gets them to sit up nicely and I loved the way he carried himself on the straight away. But it was just way too much brakes and zero power steering. I'm all about using your legs and body to turn but with this bit I had to amp up leg and seat aids x10 in order to get him to turn. He turns much better in literally every other bit I have ever ridden in.

                          If you have one available to try you can go for it. But I'm not sure I'd go drop the big bucks for one without trying it out first. CBoylen seems to be giving some good advice.

                          Bits my horse turns well in:
                          Double twisted wire full cheek if he's fit and fresh as all get out.
                          French link full cheek when he's being a good boy.
                          A rope hackamore (with a fleece cover) is what I have him in now, turning is not quite stellar but he sits up well in it and doesn't lean with his shoulders.
                          I already purchased one but haven't used it. Since it's somewhat new and I live in Argentina, I had no way to borrow it, so I went ahead and splurged.
                          I also have a full cheek double twisted wire gag. I always thought it was THE bit for him, but common opinion is that it's too harsh...I honestly think not, having felt the leaning power of my mount, and have been chewing on the idea of using it for almost six months. The fact is that one tries to make things work with the least amount of bit power, but after 10mo of training, he has not advanced much in the "right turn showring rigidness" department (although in schooling at home, flatwork, etc, he is a million times better). I would think it's time to pull out the big guns and start trusting my instincts...
                          Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

                          www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            FarAway46

                            this is the bit we show IN only, it's a Mikmar
                            http://www.mikmar.com/bit-pages/2-ring-elevator-PS.html

                            works very well!! but the Myler combo for schooling helps the Mickmar to be more effective in the show ring....good luck!

                            also when we tried this horse they had him in a double twisted wire Gag, we were in Denmark. I can't seem to find one here in the states...
                            Last edited by Equsrider; Nov. 6, 2010, 08:52 AM. Reason: added more info

                            Comment

                            • Original Poster

                              #15
                              Oops, sorry the misunderstanding...

                              [QUOTE=Equsrider;5205987]
                              Originally posted by faraway46 View Post
                              What do you mean by not enough bit for the show ring for the half halt for DD (is that dressage day in Eventing?).

                              No DD is Dear Daughter, at a mere 115 lbs...like I said her horse has a HUGE stride and if she can't get it in check it's a problem...and when he gets into the show ring jumping over 4' he becomes VERY stong at times and latches on to the bit and drags her skinny butt around.He can jump from anywhere, but she really doesn't appreciate the lack of response from him at times, she's walked the course he hasn't and well , he needs to do what she says!!!
                              ...your DD and I are living parallel lives. Her story sounds VERY familiar... .
                              I'm 5ft "tall", if you want to call THAT tall, and also weigh about 115lb (47kg?). My stubborn equine companion is not high at all (16h) but has a huge stride and much power in his hindquarters. Here's the little bugger:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCYpdipJxZ0
                              You can tell how I have to tug on the right rein before the yellow oxer (between jumps 5 and 6) and how he looses impulsion and want to drift right before jump 8 (after the combination). Actually, this is one of his good rounds. He has exagerated this move much more at times, to the point that yesterday he moved so far left, we knocked a rail with the standard!
                              Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

                              www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

                              Comment

                              • Original Poster

                                #16
                                Double twisted wire gag....hmmm...

                                Originally posted by Equsrider View Post
                                this is the bit we show IN only, it's a Mikmar
                                http://www.mikmar.com/bit-pages/2-ring-elevator-PS.html

                                works very well!! but the Myler combo for schooling helps the Mickmar to be more effective in the show ring....good luck!

                                also when we tried this horse they had him in a double twisted wire Gag, we were in Denmark. I can't seem to find one here in the states...
                                I have had one for ages and never used it (I have a rule of buying all types of bitting that shows up my path on sale....you can never have too many...). That bit keeps showing up in these posts and I have always thought that it was the correct bit for him, but, as I posted before, the word is that it's very harsh...
                                I'll repeat what I posted before: I think it's time to pull the big guns and start trusting my instincts...
                                Thanks for the input. It was more than helpful!
                                Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

                                www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  LOVED IT!!!

                                  Worked amazingly well on my friends jumper. He is very soft when he wants to be, but does sometimes get freight trainish after jumps. He pulls forward though, not down.

                                  It has a soft mouth piece, the horse likes it a LOT better than a slow twist loosering. The hackamore didnt apply pressure until you had to take a firm grip. I think the biggest thing with riding in a combo bit, it your timing and release. Its a firm, but soft correction (meaning, non-twist/corkscrew mouthpiece) combining nose and mouth...but there is still lots of pressure when you pull, so you do have to release.

                                  The 3rd ring was too much, and the steering was obviously not as good as a simple loosering. However it wasnt horrible, and the horse is not green so it workd ok. She always rode on the second ring.

                                  Horse LEARNED from it....didnt depend on it. He now waits before diving into corners (well, 99% of the time!) with a plain loosering.

                                  I think you will find it a better training tool than "harsh show bit".

                                  Comment

                                  • Original Poster

                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
                                    LOVED IT!!!

                                    Worked amazingly well on my friends jumper. He is very soft when he wants to be, but does sometimes get freight trainish after jumps. He pulls forward though, not down.

                                    It has a soft mouth piece, the horse likes it a LOT better than a slow twist loosering. The hackamore didnt apply pressure until you had to take a firm grip. I think the biggest thing with riding in a combo bit, it your timing and release. Its a firm, but soft correction (meaning, non-twist/corkscrew mouthpiece) combining nose and mouth...but there is still lots of pressure when you pull, so you do have to release.

                                    The 3rd ring was too much, and the steering was obviously not as good as a simple loosering. However it wasnt horrible, and the horse is not green so it workd ok. She always rode on the second ring.

                                    Horse LEARNED from it....didnt depend on it. He now waits before diving into corners (well, 99% of the time!) with a plain loosering.

                                    I think you will find it a better training tool than "harsh show bit".
                                    Exactly what I want: a training tool. You don't want to stay educating forever: one hopes the horse learns and then you can count on the education you gave him...move down on the bit ladder once he understands what you need and the best way for him to go.
                                    This thread has been awesome! Thanks for so much info!
                                    V
                                    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

                                    www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Here's a picture of the Bit CBoylen was talking about. http://www.equusport.com/category.php?category_id=50 Jimmy Williams designed it many years ago. It might just work for you.

                                      Comment

                                      • Original Poster

                                        #20
                                        I have it!

                                        Originally posted by showjump View Post
                                        Here's a picture of the Bit CBoylen was talking about. http://www.equusport.com/category.php?category_id=50 Jimmy Williams designed it many years ago. It might just work for you.
                                        I bought it many years ago on sale somewhere I can't recall and never used it. You can't imagine the times I looked at it and asked "why on earth would I buy this one?" but I guess if you wait long enough, the most difficult questions answer themselves!
                                        I'm going to try all the suggestions next week and see which one feels best. I have a big show on saturday and I hope to have it settled by then...
                                        Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

                                        www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X