• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How Often Do You Lunge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Often Do You Lunge?

I will only lunge in a surcingle and side reins. I do it once a week or once every 2 weeks for a total of 20-30 minutes.

Comment

Depends on the horse. Two of them never get lunged. My evil gelding gets longed maybe once a month or so, less in the summer. My 4yo OTTB mare gets longed about once a week on the first day back to work after a day off.

Comment

well my longing with my 3 yr old geld has gone kind of non existent right now,im lucky if i do it 3 x in one month...im bad..lol...thats going to change though as i finally am going to have some help over the winter with a new BNT...im excited!

anyways when i am good and do lunge..its sometimes in full tack and others is halter over bridle as when he having a silly moments..i am not ruining his soft mouth when working with him.
        http://myridingjourney.blogspot.com

Comment

about twice a week, 2 sets of 10 reps in the gym.

Comment

Most of my horses, never. One gets 2-3 minutes before I get on to get the bucks out so that he doesn't kill me, since I ride alone. Saddled, on a line with a halter.

Comment

It depends.

I will use lunging in stages of training as a way to help a horse build strength/balance. Or, I'll drive them (long line) as part of their early training. I do not use it as a way to get the sillies out. I'd rather just get on and ride. When I do lunge I usually "double lunge" rather than use side reins.

However, my current horse has never been lunged. I keep thinking he should at least know how. I did long line him a bit at the beginning but that's it.
              Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
              EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

One horse goes once a week in a Pessoa rig for about 30 minutes. The other gets lunged "as needed" as in if I get on and the hump in his back is still there after 5-10 minutes, I will get off and lunge him.

Comment

I only longe maybe 2-3x/year, and only to get the sillies out... Normally my OTTB is a lazy slug, but you know what happens around this time of year and in the spring, when the weather changes and the wind blows up their butts just right... lol
                  *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Comment

Originally posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
                    about twice a week, 2 sets of 10 reps in the gym.
                    Hehehe. Good for you!

I usually only lunge occassionally, but have a lot lately because of things getting in the way of riding. I mostly use it as a way to do some "mental chiropractics". My horse doesn't have "sillies" he has cockiness. When he doesn't get worked regularly, he gets serious attitude like a teenager, and lunging is the lowest-impact (mentally and physically for both of us) way I can get his head back in the game. He has a *very* shallow bottom, so it doesn't take long for him to be quiet, but he does have this wonderfully charming way of giving me the finger nonetheless. When I'm lunging, my frustration at my own riding/fitness limits are removed, and I'm a much better "trainer" in the moment on the ground than I would be in the saddle.

Last night I lunged for seriously about 5 minutes becaues he responded perfectly to all my voice commands (and I did lots of trot/canter transitions!).

My vet loves that my horses lunge so nicely- it's easy and quick to do an assessment, and no one has to run!

Comment

I hhhaaaaaaaaatte longing so pretty much never.

Unless a horse has had fewer than 15 rides in its life I pretty much just get on.

That said, a good longe program can be so great for a horse. I am riding a 4yo twice a week for an owner who also longes the horse (properly, with side reins etc) twice a week. The improvement in the horse is noticable and the longing is definitely helping her gain strength and balance.

I am just glad that the owner is the one doing it and not me.
                      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

After they're broke enough that I can get on and trot a few circles? Never.
                        madeline
                        * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Comment

Lunging

I am confused....it isn't good for the horses? I was taught that you lunged a young horse for 6 months daily (short periods) before ever starting to ride them....I always thought that was excessive...so I would appreciate some input on that also!

Comment

Almost never. Grew up in the era where you just got on and rode, if you couldn't you put someone else up on him for a few minutes to get the bucks out, then you got on. Its not great soundness-wise either.

Comment

Working on a small circle stresses a horse's joints. I've always tried to use lunging judiciously.

I am also a believer in the "just get on and ride" school. The exception was when I was pregnant. I did lunge my horse then!

Originally posted by dcf13050 View Post
                              I am confused....it isn't good for the horses? I was taught that you lunged a young horse for 6 months daily (short periods) before ever starting to ride them....I always thought that was excessive...so I would appreciate some input on that also!
                              Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                              EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Never, unless I'm putting the horse on the longe to assess soundness (like at a vet appointment or something). Having a horse that has had a suspensory injury really makes you re-think the whole longeing thing. And rehabbing one from a suspensory injury also gives you a whole new perspective on what is "too fresh" to ride through, lol! (Nothing).

Comment

Never. My horse would look at me like I'm crazy. I don't think he's been lunged in over 5 years. But he's pretty mellow and partially retired and on turnout 24/7.

In his younger years, we had one day a week where he just worked on the lunge line in a Pessoa type rig. I'd also lunge him to get the bucks out, as needed.

Comment

At home? Never. At shows? Usually every morning, if the horse needs some "wee hee" time. My mare never, ever needs lunging.

My trainer lunges the unbroke ones with saddle and bridle until the buck is gone (if there is one). Then he (or the assistant) climbs on. I've also seen him round pen one or two if the horse comes out of the barn snorting before he gets on. That's about it.

I've never seen my trainer use lunging as a "training" tool.

You just climb on 99% of the horses in my trainer's barn. Perhaps he just doesn't keep the silly ones around. I dunno?

Comment

Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
                                      Never, unless I'm putting the horse on the longe to assess soundness (like at a vet appointment or something). Having a horse that has had a suspensory injury really makes you re-think the whole longeing thing. And rehabbing one from a suspensory injury also gives you a whole new perspective on what is "too fresh" to ride through, lol! (Nothing).
                                      This.

I grew up in a h/j barn that was very pro-lunging, so for a long time I lunged several times a week prior to riding.

Now, with a horse that's had 2 suspensory/splint issues in the last 18 months, I see lunging basically as the devil.

This means that last weekend, I took my OTTB to his very first show and schooled him at 7am, in a brisk wind, when it was about 45 degrees out--with NO lunging first. Just got on on and rode. Not my favorite choice of riding activity, especially since I am a huge wuss, but the thought of lunging him was scarier than the thought of getting bucked off!

Comment

Normally, hardly ever, but for the past few weeks, it has been for about 10-15 minutes before every ride (3-4x/wk.) and with side reins. She takes a long time to warm up, and lunging helps get her warmed up without completely tiring me out in the process. If I don't lunge her, I don't have a lot of energy left at the end of the ride. And lest anyone be critical and say that I need to be more "fit" in order to have better stamina, well, all I can respond with is that I've lost 35 lbs. since August and am getting way more fit and DO have better endurance now than before, but it sure doesn't happen overnight.
                                        "I was not expecting the park rangers to lead the resistance, none of the dystopian novels I read prepared me for this but cool."

Comment

Working...
                                        X