• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bathing Tecniques?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathing Tecniques?

What are your tecniques to super good bubble baths? I am not a good bath giver and when I think i do a good job my horse is still filthy! What are the tricks to making your horse shine?

I'm not a huge bubble bath fan, I'm more of a currying and plain water person, but when I bathe, I usually do this:

Use vetrolin bath shampoo (diluted in a bucket). Other soaps are cool too, I just like this one for my dark bay, i think it has a little extra shine power. Apply with sponge and suds it all around, then take one of those jelly scrubbers and suds some more (my girl loves the scratching ). Let it sit for a few minutes, ie. do 1 side and don't rinse before you do the other. I use a drop of baby shampoo for the face.

Voila, clean beastie

Comment

First of all it helps to really keep your horse clean with good grooming, that's where your hair quality and shine come from. But a good bath can really make them sparkle.

I would start with warm water and good water pressure. If you can't get down to the skin you won't lift the dirt out. Really wet the coat down first. Then use your favorite shampoo, I'm not big on any brand, though the whitening ones do help for socks.
      Use one of those soft currys and really scrub! Just remember not to go too nuts on the legs because you can irritate them. Make sure the mane and tail are cleaned down to the roots.

Don't forget the head! Use a ladder if you have to, nothing like a clean horse that stops at the head.

Then rinse, with pressure! now rinse some more, most of the problems come from not getting out the soap/dirt thru improper rinsing. If you are short, back on the step stool to rinse the back and mane well.

Finally put show sheen in the tail and towel off the legs and head well. Don't forget to wipe out ears and lightly oil them.

So now your horse looks like a million bucks.
      "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Comment

When bubble-bathing, this is my routine:

Wet down horse.

Then, I use a coconut-oil based natural dish washing liquid (no harsh chemicals). Squirt some on a sponge and scrub in circles, starting just below the ear, and go all the way to butt (don't forget tummy chest/under chest).

Next, I do the mane & tail with Head & Shoulders. I squirt some on the main and scrub down to the skin with finger nails; don't forget the bridal path up to and between ears. For the tail, I get 1/2 bucket warm water and make suds with Head & Shoulders. Bring bucket up behind tail so that tail and tail bone get bathed (you'll have to scrub with a sponge/fingers to get down to the bone near the top)

Do the legs next. I use a sponge on the upper, and a bristle brush on the lowers in a downward stroking motion only. If legs are pretty clean, I'll stick with the natural dish soap. If not, I'll use the H&S to cut crud.

Last is the face. I'll use unscented natural baby shampoo for the forelock and all of the face.

Rinse time! Mainly, I'll hose off. Then, I do a bucket rinse with several "glubs" of vinegar to finish off.

Shouldn't really do bubble baths more than once a week.

Comment

My trick is to curry with the shampoo on. And curry while you're rinsing- the best way to get a good clean rinse.

Comment

I like to use just some cheap walmart body wash. smells good and works great! I fill a 8qt bucket with water and about 3Tsb to about 1/4 cup (no I don't measure it, just guess) of soap. use that to wash whole body, mane tail, and gently on the face. Scrubbing in circles with the sponge to get them all soapy! I ad a little extra soap and some conditioner to the mane and tail and scrub good with my fingers. I get a stiff brush and scrub the hooves, it gets all that cruddy stuff off at the coronet.

Then rinse away, good water pressure is a plus! currying while rinsing is a good idea, I will try that, sometimes I just scrape (sweat scraper) them while I am rinsing, putting fresh water over where I just scraped, if that makes any sense.

I will be grooming my sisters horse for his Keuring this weekend. I too will be looking at all these tips. We have been currying like crazy for that last few weeks. Her horse loved it!

Comment

I wet half the horse, scrub that side with a short bristled hard brush, making sure to get lots of suds. Then move to the other side, we it down, scrub it and then start rinsing from the first side first. Special scrubbing usually goes into the tail (especially underneath and the sides of the tail bone), the mane and hocks/knees. Both my horses require a rag/sponge bath for the head, but the works very well too. Shampoo wise I'm a big fan of the cheap Swave Coconut shampoo. It shines up real well and it smells really good. I also always scrub the hooves last because it can make the brush muddy/dirty.

Here are some other tips I've gathered after years of production/showmanship:
              -groom daily with showsheen or hair moisturizer (I prefer the later), it helps repel dirt and adds great shine to the coat and detangles mane/tail.
              -for black/bay horses bath frequently with Quick Color. It helps deepen the coat color, especially if they start to bleach out from the sun.
              -Quick Silver is the anwser to white horses. You have to make sure you lather it into a white foam (must use enough water), let it sit for awhile and then rinse.
              -to keep a tail full, long and clean (especially white ones) keep it in a tail bag!!

*i have a big black and white paint (mostly white) mare that LOVES to be dirty. if you would like a detailed description on how to make a white horse white i can give you a lot more tips....i showed her in showmanship and believe me, she was SPOTLESS

Comment

I add a glug of white vinegar to a small bucket of water, then use it as a final rinse (after rinsing off all suds first). The vinegar cuts through any soap residue and leaves a nice shine. The horse will not smell like vinegar after it dries.
                I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

I like one of the net scrubbies that I have for myself. They do a great job of getting all the way down without being harsh.
                  A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

I only bathe the day before leaving for a show. My guys doesn't have socks, so any quality shampoo will do. My favorite tool is a brush with a sponge in the center. I use it like a curry and it gets up ALL the dirt!!

Comment

Originally posted by EquitationRider View Post
                      What are your tecniques to super good bubble baths? I am not a good bath giver and when I think i do a good job my horse is still filthy! What are the tricks to making your horse shine?
                      I like to curry the soap in, so it gets down to their skin. And I bathe relatively often - once a week or so ideally. Lots of currying on non-bath days. I don't agree with anyone that says soap dries out the hair or is bad for them. Most arab farms rinse every day, and full soap & conditioner baths at least a couple times a week, and the horses have fantastic coats. I feel like if you're not doing baths often enough they just keep building up more dirt and grossness. In addition the stains set in, and are more difficult to get out, even with skilled grooming.

Comment

Originally posted by nickers@dawn View Post
                        First of all it helps to really keep your horse clean with good grooming, that's where your hair quality and shine come from. But a good bath can really make them sparkle.

I would start with warm water and good water pressure. If you can't get down to the skin you won't lift the dirt out. Really wet the coat down first. Then use your favorite shampoo, I'm not big on any brand, though the whitening ones do help for socks.
                        Use one of those soft currys and really scrub! Just remember not to go too nuts on the legs because you can irritate them. Make sure the mane and tail are cleaned down to the roots.

Don't forget the head! Use a ladder if you have to, nothing like a clean horse that stops at the head.

Then rinse, with pressure! now rinse some more, most of the problems come from not getting out the soap/dirt thru improper rinsing. If you are short, back on the step stool to rinse the back and mane well.

Finally put show sheen in the tail and towel off the legs and head well. Don't forget to wipe out ears and lightly oil them.

So now your horse looks like a million bucks.
                        This. But I am a big fan of Orvis. I have yet to see anything else create such a shine. Also...like the others have said-save the bubble baths for when they are really really dirty, or before showing. Grooming and water are best for the inbetween-then when you do give a bath, they are even shinier!

Comment

My horse has had exactly two full bubble baths in the 16 months I've had him, and I only gave him one of them.

My old guy had maybe 10 bubble baths in all 5 years.

Granted, they're both bay.

I've bathed a grey that I showed for a girl more 12 times.... so more than both my own horses combined.

As far as good baths... I use a big sea sponge and whatever shampoo I have laying around, maybe 1/3 of a cup in a little bucket then all the way full of water. Wash circles with the sponge, curry, rinse, curry, rinse, scrape, rinse, scrape again.

I'm also a fan of white vinegar, but I do diluted half and half on a clean rag and rub the horse all over with it. For white socks I dry with a towel and spray some rubbing alcohol on to get them dry quick before they get dirty.
                          friend of bar.ka

Comment

1. Soak horse.
                            2. Add a dollop of shampoo (I use Vetrolin bath) to a small bucket of water. Sponge over horse, rubbing in lightly.
                            3. Rinse.
                            4. Refill your small bucket and add a dollop or two of shampoo. Sponge generously over horse.
                            5. Using a soft curry (like a jelly scrubber), scrub the horse down. I like to keep a soapy sponge in the other hand and add soapy water as needed.
                            6. Top the bucket off with water, dunk the tail, and scrub.
                            7. Rinse very very thoroughly. I do one side, then the other, back to the first side again, and the other side again.
                            Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                            Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                            VW sucks.

Comment

I like to add about a couple drops of baby oil to the shampoo/water. Im also a big fan of the vinegar rinse afterwards. My favorite shampoos are Quiksilver and Healing tree tea tree oil shampoo. Warm water works best.
                              "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Comment

How do you all wash your horses' tails so easily? Is my mare just weird? She HATES when I'm trying to do her tail and I use a bucket. The skirt is fine, but as soon as the water hits her dock, watch out! She will tuck her bum, scoot around, threaten to kick... any suggestions? Love all the other tips mentioned so far!

Comment

I use a pair of scrubby gloves that I bought in the bath section at the dollar store. Wet the horse well, apply a line of shampoo down the neck, back and butt. Use the gloves to make suds, scrub well. Add shampoo to the underside and legs by putting a dallup on the gloves and rubbing in well. Use the fingers on the gloves to get in around the tendons on the legs. Spray horse lightly with water. Rub all over again making more suds. Rinse horse well. Remove gloves. Wash tail.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuesday's Child View Post
                                    How do you all wash your horses' tails so easily? Is my mare just weird? She HATES when I'm trying to do her tail and I use a bucket. The skirt is fine, but as soon as the water hits her dock, watch out! She will tuck her bum, scoot around, threaten to kick... any suggestions? Love all the other tips mentioned so far!
                                    We have a mare that tucks her bum and scoots too. For her, with the bucket? I go slow and use warm water. I also get the bucket just below the tail bone. When it is there, I use a sponge and my hand (you could use one of those mitt scubbers too) and gently wash her tailbone. For rinsing, I either just do warm bucket rinse soaks, or, with the hose I put it on a slow setting. She wound up being fine with that ...

Forgot to mention .... prior to bathing ... I curry, curry, curry; vacuum, then do my bath routine.

Comment

I bubble bathe my horse as little as possible, but rinse often and well and groom deeply at least once a week. Before a bubble bath I do a deep grooming to get up as much dirt and loose hair as I can as well as to spread the oils along the coat. Then horse gets thoroughly wetted down with pressure to help lift remaining dirt. I half fill a small bucket with water and a squirt of shampoo, right now I've been using the Pyranha shampoo with really good results. To suds up the horse I use a regular rubber currey and squirt a little shampoo into the center section. As needed I rinse the curry in the little bucket and rewet the curry. Once both sides of the horse have been curried I rinse off the horse with pressure to rinse away dirt and suds. Then I go back over with the curry to lift up any remaining dirt and rinse again. Tail and mane get washed, with another thorough rinse afterwards. I wash the face with an auto wash mitt which holds water and tearless baby shampoo really well without dripping all over the place. To rinse the face I use the same mitt but after it's been rinsed clean, then continue to rinse the mitt often. Sometimes I will apply a coat conditioner, but not terribly often.
                                      "Beware the hobby that eats."
                                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by SolarFlare View Post
                                        I add a glug of white vinegar to a small bucket of water, then use it as a final rinse (after rinsing off all suds first). The vinegar cuts through any soap residue and leaves a nice shine. The horse will not smell like vinegar after it dries.
                                        Apple cider vinegar gives the same results and works as a mild insect repellent as well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X