• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Turnout- make anyone else SOOOO nervous?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnout- make anyone else SOOOO nervous?

In the wake of Cabana Boy's recent demise (RIP ) I was thinking about all the terrible life-ending injuries that have happened to top horses during turnout. Obviously, you can't NOT turn horses out, but I will admit I am pyschotic when it comes to booting/ limiting activity. All of you that turn (esp. expensive performance) horses out for hours on end, or even overnight how do you ensure they don't get hurt?
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

By turning them out for hours on end. Being out as much as possible decreases the chances of them running like idiots and doing something stupid. If they're out enough to not have extra energy, have a big space, be familiar with the footing and if it's good or bad, and know where the fences are.
    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Turning them out more. Pretty much what PP said. I watch to make sure they aren't with another animal that is gonna freak out, or fight. I don't turn them out on Fourth Of July, watch footing (ice in winter, etc). But really.. they can injure themselves anywhere, so just cross your fingers, pray, etc. and do it.

Kinda like having kids, and letting them ride there bike themselves.. Yeah, bad stuff could happen, but ya gotta let them do it anyway.

Comment

Absolutely, just think about Chase Boggio's horse Graphic, broken while being turned out earlier this year, truly heartbreaking, had to be put to sleep.
        I am so crazy when I turn out my show horses,but I do it with a watchful eye, and if I see anything they come in. BUT I own my own farm and can watch them, many do not have that advantage!
        http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

"pasture accident" must be taken with a grain of salt. Ever notice any time a HIGH DOLLAR horse gets injured and is put down it's a "pasture accident"? It's no coincidence. Remember that is insurance involved with these big money horses. I know more than one big money horse that was injured NOT in pasture but had a "pasture accident" on the paper work. NO Im not accusing anyone but the fact it's become a generic term. Modern wambloods are bred to be freaking GIANTS and the fact no horse nature ever designed was meant to stand 17 hands tall and 1600 pounds. It's just the risk take is creating horses that are freaks of nature. NO amount of 'boots" and bubble wrap is going to stop a horse from shattering a leg while TROTTING AROUND his TINY paddock. Most of these big horses do NOT get injured as a result of anything that would usually hurt a horse, it's usually taking a wrong step and then SNAP! Most can rip a tendon and shatter a fetlock standing in a stall just as easily as WALKING around a pasture. We need to breed better more REALISTIC (not EXTREME) horse instead of focusing on " a better boot" and the worlds most restrictive turnout. IMO

Comment

The more they have turnout the less likely they are to run and hurt themselves, but all of my horses go out ALL night in summer and all day in the winter. They go out regardless of weather unless we have ice, but snow, rain etc they are out. They are horses and are meant to live outside. A lot of the horses that are not being shown are out 24/7
            www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

It depends on the horse. Some are not suited to going out overnight, and I've seen it lead to injury for those types, injury that possibly could have been prevented. Conversely, the ones that are very suited to be out an extended time unsupervised, those are the ones that tend to get too fat under those same circumstances .
              My own I don't turn out unsupervised, and still sometimes things happen that you can't prevent. The most you can do is be aware of the surrounding activity, check the paddocks for hazards, and be vigilant about preventing situations before they happen. If there is going to be a huge amount of activity on the property, the horse should come in before it takes off running, not after when you finally catch it. If they're in for any extended period, such as the snow days we had over the past winter, I definitely sedate in decreasing doses when they start going back out. But no, you are not the only one that worries, especially when the ground conditions aren't optimal. There is only so much you can do, and the rest is luck.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
                By turning them out for hours on end. Being out as much as possible decreases the chances of them running like idiots and doing something stupid. If they're out enough to not have extra energy, have a big space, be familiar with the footing and if it's good or bad, and know where the fences are.
                This, for sure! After my horse has been inside for a few days (rain, stall rest, what have you) and he finally gets to go out, he is WILD, and it scares me. But he is honestly much happier turned out, and after the initial 5-10 minutes of playing, he settles down and just hangs out.

Turnout in the AM is when most incidents happen at our barn. After being cooped up for 12-16 hours, the horses are more than happy to be back outside. I've seen everything from cuts to pulled shoes to a broken leg happen in the first few minutes of morning turnout. So guess what my BM decided to do with the crazies that were prone to hurting themselves after first getting out? Turn them out for longer, and it actually seems to be helping.

Of course bad things are going to happen on the occasional turnout. But the alternate, in my opinion, a bored and restless horse that still has energy to get out -potentially while undersaddle with a vulnerable rider- is well worth the risk of the one in a million chance of a horse getting seriously injured.

Comment

Horses that are turned out colic less, have stronger bones, better feet, stronger tendons, are altogether a lot more robust. If you go from no turnout to all day turnout, you will start out with some more nicks and dents, but once the horse adjusts, it works out great. I have a horse that was worth a total packet at one point (A/O jumper, but brave, bold, total trooper), always got turned out, rolled in mud, had fun with his buds. He got the odd scrapes and cuts, but pre-turnout (first place I boarded him had limited turnout) he had way worse injuries, severe colic several times, etc. So personally would not EVER keep a horse anywhere that did not have at least 12 hrs turnout per day, I don't care how high level the horse is at competition.

Comment

Limiting activity . No way! Granted, my horses aren't worth much (one isn't worth anything), but they're priceless to me. They're outside all the time. I'm not going to bubble wrap them in the hope they'll never have a booboo. The important thing is that they get to be horses, and that they're happy. They might be "safer" locked in stalls, but that's not a life for a horse. If you care so much about your money, leave it in your savings account.
                    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                    VW sucks.

Comment

Being in the TB industry is what has helped me relax. Multi million dollar mares and the majority of stallions, even those worth 30+ million, go out 24/7 or all night (stalllions). I started to feel silly being so paranoid with my show horse. Now he is out most of the time (retired, but even so I was neurotic with him) and so much happier and healthier. I think it's worth the risk. Make sure your fences are good and I find a good, quiet companion helps a lot.

Comment

Horses can injure themselves anywhere... yeah, they can break a leg in the pasture, but they can get cast inside and die just as easily, if not moreso. Or while under saddle, they can put a foot wrong and it can snap.

Horses... get injured easily. I don't think turnout has a whole lot to do with it. Your horse - and you, in the long run! - will be infinitely happier with turnout.

Comment

Like everyone else said- more turnout typically results in less, if any, accidents. The eight or so horses I've ever had here at my farm have rarely hurt themselves and they are mostly turned out 24/7, if weather allows, with access to plenty of shelter (stalls, overhang). We don't have wire or board fencing, just the PVC piping and electric tape, but still. The worst I've had is small bites and a thrown shoe here and there when it's super muddy. I don't do rated shows, just local with one of my guys, so I don't need them in pristine condition, but they've always been fine. I coat any cuts with ointment, the hair grows back, and you wouldn't even know the difference.

I can understand keeping them inside when they need to be clean without cuts or something, but for injury purposes, mine are better of outside.

Comment

Last month, we lost our beloved 24 year old horse in a paddock accident- He broke his leg and had to be put down. He went in his usual large paddock with the same 4 horses he always went out with (who got along famously) and in the paddock next to the road where coincidentally, anyone coming into or off the farm would see them. You would never had known he was 24- he looked 16 and was leading the HOTY for his under saddle division - so he was in work and not wild. Just a freak accident.

I truly believe in turn out with calm, mild mannered small groups for as long as they are able to stay out. My guy would not tolerate being out overnight and when they saw he was getting antsy around noon they moved turnout times to early morning (6 am - noon) to avoid the bugs and the hottest part of the day. He would come in to stand in front of his fan, have his lunch, have his nap, then be ridden.

The grooms and owner are very careful if any of them run- they come right in and they are super careful about adding new ones to turnout.
                            No amount of booting would have saved him considering where the break was. It was just an accident- Just like someon can break an ankle walking off a curb.
                            RIP Triple Take (aka Indiana )

Comment

My horse is much more likely to hurt himself in his stall than in turnout. He HATES being inside. During the summer, he's out 24/7 in my trainer's backyard. His turnout is small (tiny compared to most, but that's the trade-off of living on Long Island), but he can walk, trot, and canter a few strides if he wants to, and it's enough for him.

Over the winter when we go indoors, he is turned out in a significantly larger space, but only during the day. This combined with a larger stall and a regular work schedule is enough to keep him happy/healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by RougeEmpire View Post
                                "pasture accident" must be taken with a grain of salt. Ever notice any time a HIGH DOLLAR horse gets injured and is put down it's a "pasture accident"? It's no coincidence. Remember that is insurance involved with these big money horses. I know more than one big money horse that was injured NOT in pasture but had a "pasture accident" on the paper work.

So did you report these horses you know about for insurance fraud?

Comment

I believe that horses are better off out as much as possible. Mine live outside 24/7 in pens with two other horses. Both of mine were miserable when stalled for injuries. I think it goes a long way toward keeping them sound.
                                  A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

It's not like supervising really helps. Sure, you can get to an injury faster, but you're hardly going to be able to prevent it.

Mine are out 24/7, in to eat. They're horses and they're ones that are well-adapted to this particular lifestyle. I saw more crazy running around when I was at a show barn where they were in 22/7 and out for an hour or two than I generally do at our farm, unless we're turning them out in a different field or something.

I'm pretty much with amastrike. Regardless of their value, ours are priceless to me, but they're definitely happiest being out. Of course, there are some horses that don't do as well out, and one should work with that accordingly. I definitely wouldn't bother to limit my guy's activity unless he was really unhappy in turnout.
                                    ---
                                    They're small hearts.

Comment

A few years ago we had soem REALLY NASTY ice. Several horses broke their legs.

There were three baisc approaches to turnout.

1- Some people kept to their regular turnout schedule, regardless of the ice (I fell in that category)

2- Some people kept there horses in for a week, but then let them out for short periods when the ice was starting to melt, but hadn't gone away completely.

3- Some people kept their horses in until the ice was ALL gone (close to a month IIRC).

Most, if not all, of the serious injuries were in case 2.

Turning out a horse that hasn't been out in a while is when the horse is most likely to act like an idiot.
                                      Last edited by Janet; Sep. 27, 2010, 09:48 PM.
                                      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

My horse sleep walked head first into the wall of his 12x12. Big gash...

I've seen tons of cellulitus in horses that live in 12x12 stalls...

My horse slashed the inside of her back leg in her 36x36 corral...

My horse cut her shoulder open climbing into and out of her water trough...

I heard of a horse that got a life ending leg stress fracture in his 12x12 stall while on an un-associated layup...

It doesn't matter what you do - they'll find a way to hurt themselves. I wish we had more turnout in Southern California. I think overall it's better for them physically and mentally for them to get out as much as possible.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of injuries, serious and non-serious happen in which type of setting...

Comment

Working...
                                        X