• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What all have you done?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What all have you done?

Yesterday, I stopped by an arab show. It brought back memories. I got to thinking of all I dabbled in as a kid, and realize I've got a wealth of horse experiences, even though now I "just" do one discipline.

What have you done/do you do? Is there anything you still want to do?

In my youth, I...
    - Rode Saddleseat, pleasure & equitation, arabs and ASB
    - Rode sidesaddle
    - Rode in parades
    - Did Arab native costume
    - Went on trail rides (although Mare didn't care for these, so they weren't all that fun in retrospect)
    - Jumped whatever I could find and didn't manage to kill or maim myself
    - Rode western on my arab
    - Gave my best in a couple of dressage tests

Now, I "just" do jumpers and eq, mainly on a local circut. Current horse isn't a hunter, never will be. That's fine. He's a blast to ride.

A few things I'd like to do -
    - Ride a good cowhorse and actually work cows on them
    - Ride a trained reining horse
    - Jump aside
    - Go on a hunt
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I didn't start riding until I was 16 or so. Rode all through college but not on a team. We did a lot of hunter exercises when out hacking.
    Owned horses in Alaska (Arab mare), the Caribbean (Morgan?) and now have 4 of various sorts. Have only done schooling shows/fun shows.

I would LOVE to ride a cutting horse, and be part of a cattle drive.
    Hopefully I will hunt in the future-even if it is just hilltopping.
    I think riding a park horse would be fun, too.

Comment

Goodness! What haven't i done?! LOL My parents HAD to buy me a horse as I would go around climbing into pastures and up onto horses, who knows if they were trained or not! I never took any lessons (until I was about 17, up til then was "self taught"), i rode western pleasure, then decided I wanted to jump and taught my western horse to jump, then decided to do dressage and took a clinic, then I wanted to event which I did for many years. ALl of this was in the 70's. I was also showing hunters then (locally and "C" rated) and did some jumpers. I rode walking horses a bit, had a reining horse and showed her to a second place at the QH show at the fair (she later on became hi-point reining mare in the nation), did some barrel racing, showed in Paint, QH and app breed shows, tryed some saddleseat, worked on my cousins saddlebred farm, worked on an arab show farm, rode a friends cutting horse (that was a BLAST!), fox hunted, trail rode EVERYWHERE. And I am sure there are a lot more things I have done and forgotten at this point!
      www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Hmmmm- I have:

Spent most of my youth riding school horses at county stables and one private one (Rambling Brook Farms in Warren NJ).

Rode IHSA on both the HuntSeat and Western Team-my team mate was Carson Kressely.( Bravo Queer Eye for the Straight Guy)

Taught riding lessons @ summer camps-gotta love camp horses the good the bad and we had some seriously UGLY horses!!!!

Did one HT-still love eventing but now I mostly do dressage and trail riding. I have shown Arabs and ridden TWH. I have driven a horse in a parade. Barrel raced on a 30 year old App-I think we got the award for the slowest time-it didn't help that someone was eating something across from the last barrel!

My Bucket List:
        1. Go to Ireland and hilltop
        2. Drive in a combined driving event
        3. Ride a saddlebred or saddle seat

Comment

Up till college I ran around on lesson horses at a really hunter-focused barn, I didn't learn to sit a canter till I was like 17

Now I'm in IHSA, so I've got that interesting mix of equitation and bronc riding

Aaand I just started taking Western lessons for our newly created Western team!

Things I would like to do:
          -Jumpers!!! Get me on a horse that wants to GO and all of a sudden I worry less about stopping lol.
          -Eventing. I'd really like to learn a multidisciplinary approach to training.
          -Foxhunting looks like a blast!
          -Sidesaddle looks super interesting.
          "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

I've done a lot

My past experiences include: hunters, jumpers, equitation, eventing, dressage, vaulting, western pleasure, pole bending, barrel racing, gymkhana, gaited horses, rode and ponied polo ponies, double, bareback, double bareback, bridle-less, bareback and bridle-less, trail riding, bareback pony races, swimming, teaching my pony to rear... (I blame the trainer I had at the time for not telling me that was a TERRIBLE idea, I was maybe 12 at the time.)

These days I'm mostly working youngsters, hunters and jumpers, with occasional tame trail rides thrown in for good measures.
            Last edited by *Liz*; Sep. 27, 2010, 09:20 AM.

Comment

In my younger days:
              I started out with hunter lessons at a very young age

I rode at a western barn with my first two beasties - though I didn't have a saddle, so that didn't really count

I moved and wound up riding 3 gaited ASBs and TWHs

A barn change took me to the wonderful world of Arabian horses where I had my own 1/2 arab to show

That beastie helped me make the transition to eventing and local hunters as well as letting me dabble in competitive trail rides and parades

I glimpsed the wonders of hunterland and spent some time focused on dressage (because of horse's injury) with the OTTBs that followed

In college I focused mostly on eventing with my TBxASB

Since graduating from college I've done hunters and jumpers and lots of pleasure/trail riding
              Y'all ain't right!

Comment

I have done western, 4-h, hunters, jumpers, eq, saddle seat, morgans, vaulting, hunting, driving, roadster under saddle, parades, ridden paso finos, rode a champion reining stallion (once), dressage, gymkhana (including barrel racing, pole bending, keyhole, flags....), open shows, trotting races, costume classes, parades, herded a few cattle very inexpertly, trails, including being a training partner for someone doing a 50 mile trail ride, helped train a horse for the Tevis that actually completed it (in 2009), taught up-down lessons, taught at a therapeutic riding camp....I think I am forgetting something but I can't figure out what....

The funny thing is quite a lot of that was done with one horse (obviously not all, but an astonishingly large amount) who I still have. He is the best!

As far as what I do now....I still do hunter/jumpers and dressage. (nope...I actually have never and will not event. I am too wimpy and my dh won't let me. I don't bounce anymore I like pair paces though and may do the occasional low level even if I can sneak it by the dh...but just for fun.)

Someday I want to ride in a clinic with George Morris- yes......I know......a little silly but I wonder what he would think of my riding . I also want to ride side saddle and ride a cutting horse. I also want to be able to capably ride an FEI level dressage horse someday and be able to jump grand prix jumps. Maybe not actually compete, but just be able to do it....We'll see how far I get Right now getting to First level dressage is our biggest goal
                My blog:

RAWR

Comment

I've only ever done hunters/eq.

And I'm okay with that. It's what I like. I don't like trail rides. I have no desire to learn how to ride western. I don't want to do jumpers- the closest I like is a good "handy hunter" course. I have admittedly dabbled in dressage and cross country when I was at a very bass-ackwards barn as a youth, but looking back it was mostly the facade and shell of those sports, so I don't really count them.

I would be interested in exploring dressage for real at some point... but only as a way to improve my riding in hunter-land.

It's definitely something that confuses my new barnmates, many who ride just for pleasure either English or Western depending on the day, the lesson kids get to pick which style they're riding that week (sometimes mixed within the lesson), where the barn owners do reining and the trainer comes from a background that is more diverse than chutney and so far I've seen no *real* preference or specialty.

::

I like my narrow focus of study.

Comment

I've only done hunters, jumpers, and equitation. I've done some bronc/trick riding in IHSA and I might try western in that just to see what it's like. I briefly thought about doing dressage with one of my ponies when I was little, but ended up just training him to do it and never competing. I've also ridden a few Paso Finos.

I'm one of those people who likes to devote time to a narrow focus and become really, really advanced in that before picking up something else.
                    Last edited by supershorty628; Sep. 27, 2010, 02:19 PM.
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
                    Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

With my current horse, started out doing hunters, did some dressage work at home (Trainer had awesome dressage base).

Now, riding western, trail riding, team penning, did some barrel racing (he will never set any land speed records) and just did our first hunter pace riding western (went around all jumps) and placed 2nd.

Not riding wise but experience working wise I worked at/with:

Riding stable of rental horses (western)
                      Thoroughbred racetrack
                      Standardbred Racetrack
                      Hunter/jumper barns
                      Polo field

Would love to learn to rope off my current horse. Might be our winter project while stuck indoors...

Comment

Hmmmm...I've done hunters, jumpers and eq, foxhunting, pony club and eventing, 4H, western pleasure, dressage, sidesaddle, gaming.

Want to try: saddleseat, took some reining lessons and really want to do more, driving, cutting.

Don't want to try: polo or steeplechase.
                        http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
                        I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Comment

started riding at a H/J barn when I was 9 and did a bunch of different, but English style stuff. Here are my have dones:

1. Pony club
                          2. Foxhunted - once, horsey liked it a weeeee too much
                          3. Horse trials
                          4. Hunter paced - now that was fun
                          5. Lots of trail riding
                          6. Hunters
                          7. Equitation
                          8. IHSA

Have never done jumpers, no saddleseat...only ridden western on vacation

Comment

I started out riding western pleasure and did that with 4H for about 2 years. I then moved to a barn where everyone rode english, so I begged my mom to buy me an english saddle. She bought me a used one for $50 and I soon started taking english lessons. Once I got that saddle, I never sat in a western saddle again. My horse was a Morgan and went much better english than western. I then started jumping and we bought a TB that took me over everything. I showed and did hunters throughout my teen years and still ride hunters.
                            Owned by an Oldenburg

Comment

Wow, let me see if I can remember, as some of it was a long time ago, LOL..

Started riding when I was around 4, showing when I was 6, (hunter/jumper ponies). Then moved on to horses and showed seriously for a few years. I still show, just not really my thing anymore.

Rode one pony western sometimes and did some fun shows with him (pole bending, gymkhana stuff).

Taught another pony to drive and tooled all over the neighborhood.

Pony races

Hunter Paces

Owned an Anglo Arab and was talked into showing her in that division at an Arab show.

Evented and went to some Dressage shows.

Broke TB's and went on to gallop and became a professional jockey and took out my Trainers License.

Foxhunted (still do)

Rode a well trained barrel horse for fun

Did the overnite camping thing with a horse

Played Polo (or tried) which is a very fun looking sport and I'd love to do it more!

Oh, and how could I almost forget learning how to Roman Ride....not sure if that is a sport or just a form of self torture...

My bucket list:

Herd cattle out west

Foxhunt in Ireland

Ride a cool reining horse (which I had the oppurtunity, just never made it back out to the farm).

Comment

Top 10 most memorable things:

1. Rode all over as a kid jumping anything that would hold still... bareback. With a halter. And could mount a 16 hh horse bareback
                                2. Made my own Arabian native costume
                                3. Worked at a show/breeding stable where I learned the hazards of live cover.
                                4. Witnessed the delivery of healthy twin foals.
                                5. Rode sidesaddle once.
                                6. Successfully kept and showed a really nice five gaited horse.
                                7. Calf penning
                                8. trained my first QH at age 14 and the following year had a the personal triumph of winning my first competitive QH Western Pleasure class with him defeating all the "expensive" horses.
                                9. exhibited in a sleigh rally
                                10. rode a Paso Fino

Bucket List:

1. Fox Hunting
                                2. mastering sidesaddle (to some degree)
                                3. showing in dressage, even if it is a really low level test.
                                ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Insert Bryan Adams "Best Days of My Life...". Facebook has actually allowed me to catch up with some of the summer campers I rode with or taught in my youth. The fun days of camp gymkhanas, camp shows, trail rides, putting stickies all over the ponies to learn the body parts, making the naughty campers learn to clean sheaths.....
                                  Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

oh yeah- I forgot vaulting and sleigh rallies!
                                    My blog:

RAWR

Comment

I rode/showed hunters and equitation from age 7 through 19. Took Saddle Seat lessons on my cousin's Morgan when I was 11 or 12.

No involvement from 19 through 49, just back with hunter show stable.

I would like to: Ultimately be a better rider than when I quit ... learn how to ride Western ... try driving.

Comment

- Have been riding hunters/eq/pleasure since I started riding at age 9, I'm now 20. I've done a few rated shows, but mostly local stuff.
                                        - Trail rode all over amish-land in English, Western and bareback. Jumped and did completly unsafe things but had a freakin blast with my best friend. I still trail ride, but mostly in my english saddle, and we stay away from obviously dangerous stuff now......(stupid kids).
                                        - Spent 5 years working at a Standardbred racing facility. I jogged (drove) for a bit of time and also spent the last few years traveling to the races and taking care of the horses. What an experience.
                                        - Also spent 5 years in 4-H. Showed undersaddle, showmanship and production.
                                        - I've done a few paperchases and jumped x-c fences.
                                        - I've also trained quite a few horses now from scratch.
                                        - I also did a 6mo internship with a lady who did hunter breeding shows.

Other things I've dabbled in/tried a few times:
                                        -saddleseat/gaited horses
                                        -herded cattle in CO
                                        -team penning (we got in on the first try!!)
                                        -driving my aunts mini

Comment

Working...
                                        X