• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Point Two Air Vest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Two Air Vest

Would the hunter jumper people wear these? It seems like a wonderful safety idea and may have prevented the injuries that killed a riding friend this week (brain stem injury sustained in a fall). The eventers seem to using these vests but hunter/jumper riders seem to me to be less inclined to embrace safety vests. If some people started using them do you think we would adjust to the "look" and more people would start using them?

These vests are meant to be worn over a traditional crash vest - so I'm guessing the first step is getting people to wear those!
    Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

• Original Poster

Hummm...now there's an interesting detail. I assumed they were worn over the shirt or the jacket but if it is over a crash vest then yes we would be faced with implementing two habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Kementari View Post
        These vests are meant to be worn over a traditional crash vest - so I'm guessing the first step is getting people to wear those!
        They are not actually "designed" to be worn over anything but clothes seeing as they started out as motorcycle vests for street bike racers and then for regular motorcycle enthusiasts. The reason the eventers wear them over a vest is because USEA does not consider the air vests "vests" as in the "vests" required to be worn on xc. Therefore if an eventer wants to use the air vest that great but they must wear them over their regular vest to be within the rules. The air vest people actually hope their vests can someday be used in place of regular vests after more exposure. The USEA's concern is, if the rider doesn't part from the horse (rotational fall) or if the vest fails to inflate the person would basically be vestless and therefore not within the rules.

But to the OPs question: I was seriously looking at these for daily schooling and if I get a young horse I will be wearing one. I think they are invaluable for potential prevention of neck injuries without the bulk. My concern with showing in one would be since I would wear it under my coat (to make it invisible) would be if I had a minor fall, not only would I be replacing a $30 cartridge but what would it do to my $300 show coat Would it tear the heck out of the top of it?? I'm sure it would pop the buttons, but I'm thinking it would take out all the seams too. Obviously if it saved my life it would be worth it, but I've had more than a few falls where I practically land on my feet.

But yes, in all practicality, I see owning one in the next two years when I buy my next youngster.

Comment

There are some very good threads in the eventing forum about the merits of these vests. Some positive and some not. If you are considering one, it would make sense to explore both of the major brands:

Point Two
          Hit Air

The pricing is substantially different and as I understand it so is the sizing and fit

Comment

I'm thinking the biggest draw they would have to people in the h/j industry is that they DON'T have to be worn over a traditional vest. The air vests are slim, light, and out of the way yet offer incomparable protection in a fall to anything else on the market.

Comment

Because the system can fail (not inflate), it needs to be paired with a system that cannot (a standard body protector).

From Point Two's website:
              The Point Two air jackets are currently not BETA approved. They have been designed as a top up protection system to wear along side a BETA or European standard approved body protector.
              From Hit Air's website:
              Recommended for use over body protector.
              Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

Because the system can fail (not inflate), it needs to be paired with a system that cannot (a standard body protector).

From Point Two's website:

From Hit Air's website:
                Well yes, they recommend you use one with a regular vest because of liability and because British, US, and FEI eventing rules require so, but since regular vests are not used in h/j you are better off with a air vest alone than no vest at all. I would be saddened to know people are turning away from this significant advancement in safety because they think they only work over a traditional vest... and we know the h/j world will not be teaming with the traditional vests unless a rule change is made.

I work for a company that sells the vest. I've had it on. I've heard first hand testimonials from those in accidents. And I'm telling you, you DON'T have to wear it with a traditional vest for it to be effective at its job.

In fact, we were just discussing a couple of weeks ago how much we wished a coworker would have been in an air vest INSTEAD of regular vest which tore open when he hit the ground and did nothing to prevent all but three ribs from breaking and both lungs being punctured. Of course we don't know how it would have been different and it would have been best if he was wearing both, but there is pretty good certainty that the torn vest did him little good.

Comment

Originally posted by flyracing View Post
                  I'm thinking the biggest draw they would have to people in the h/j industry is that they DON'T have to be worn over a traditional vest. The air vests are slim, light, and out of the way yet offer incomparable protection in a fall to anything else on the market.
                  They look pretty bulky to me. I see someone I know, I think "when did she gain weight?", and then realize she is wearing an air vest.
                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

..and we know the h/j world will not be teaming with the traditional vests unless a rule change is made.
                    The rule change was already made
                    GR801.4. Any exhibitor may wear protective headgear (ASTM/SEI) and/or a protective safety
                    vest,
                    specifically designed for use in equestrian sport in any division or class without penalty
                    from the judge.
                    The Federation recommends that the vest meet or surpass the current
                    ASTM standard or be certified by the Safety Equipment Institute.
                    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Well yes, they recommend you use one with a regular vest because of liability and because British, US, and FEI eventing rules require so, but since regular vests are not used in h/j you are better off with a air vest alone than no vest at all. I would be saddened to know people are turning away from this significant advancement in safety because they think they only work over a traditional vest... and we know the h/j world will not be teaming with the traditional vests unless a rule change is made.
                      Everyone is of course welcome to do as they would like. I was simply pointing out the fallacy in saying that they weren't "designed" to be worn over a body protector, when the manufacturer themselves says precisely the opposite.

Personally, I think it's pretty silly to use a safety product in a way that does not provide adequate safety, especially just for the sake of fashion. But that's probably why I'm an eventer.

I'd suggest that anyone thinking of buying an air vest do a search on the eventing forum, though, as there has been a great deal of very enlightening discussion on their pros and cons, including in some areas that you might not consider at first. FWIW, though, I would think them potentially more useful in h/j riding, as you are less likely to have a rotational fall and not be separated from your horse.
                      Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                        The rule change was already made
                        I was referring to a rule change requiring vests at all times when going over fence. My point was that I don't think we will see mass numbers of traditional vests unless they are required. But of course that is just my opinion from experience with the h/j industry and I'd be fine if they all prove me wrong!

Comment

Everyone is of course welcome to do as they would like. I was simply pointing out the fallacy in saying that they weren't "designed" to be worn over a body protector, when the manufacturer themselves says precisely the opposite.

Personally, I think it's pretty silly to use a safety product in a way that does not provide adequate safety, especially just for the sake of fashion. But that's probably why I'm an eventer.

I'd suggest that anyone thinking of buying an air vest do a search on the eventing forum, though, as there has been a great deal of very enlightening discussion on their pros and cons, including in some areas that you might not consider at first. FWIW, though, I would think them potentially more useful in h/j riding, as you are less likely to have a rotational fall and not be separated from your horse.
                          I don't mean to encourage any one from not doing what is recommended or what is safest! What I mean is it is unlikely the hunter jumper people will go from no vest to two vests and a more reasonable goal is create something that doesn't upset the "fashion police" as they are called while still increasing safety.

Sad, yes! But without a rule change requiring vests I just don't see the change happening on its own no matter how many people on a BB say the traditional vests are safest.

Oh and yes it is true, the original air vests were made to be worn without other vests under them. I knew of the air vests before they were marketed at the equestrian community and they most definitely never said they were meant to go over another vest. That is what I meant. That the air vest in its original design wasn't made to go over a vest. Only the equestrian vest is encouraging people to use over another vest as I think otherwise they would lose sales from people thinking they couldn't work as well over the other vests. They are instead trying to making wearing two vests the norm, which is great.

Comment

I'm doing a really bad job at making my point. Can I have a do-over? You guys all have really great and valid points which I agree with!

My real point is I think it is unrealistic to think that it will become common place for traditional vests plus air vests therefore to make an actual change I can think of two options:
                            1) Make a rule change requiring safety vests
                            2) Make available safety equipment that participants will actually buy and wear and try to break the mold against safety improvements.

My thinking was that the vests might be a positive step forward towards breaking the mold, BUT if the only thinking is that they can only be worn with bulky traditional vests, then their chance of catching on is even worse off. So therefore any improvement should be praised even if it is not the absolute best possible safety set up available.

Comment

Flyracing, I think you are doing a bit of disservice by stating information you perceive as fact when it might not well be. There are those on the eventing forum that are very knowledgeable on this subject. You say you want to wear it under your jacket when you show? the Website says "under loose fitting clothing) This is from the Point 2 Website.

The Point Two Air Jacket - Independent testing carried out by Transport Research Laboratory

.. when used with a BETA level 3 body protector, improves protection to the spine by up to 69%.
                              .. provides approximately 45% more protection for the lower spine than a BETA level 3 body protector alone.
                              .. with or without BETA level 3 body protector reduced the risk of rib fractures and underlying organ damage, by as much as 20%.

A) Impact to back simulating fall from 0.75m onto rigid fall surface
                              B) Impact to chest simulating fall from 1.4m onto rigid flat surface

FAQ( More from Point Two Website)

Q. Is the jacket BETA approved?
                              The Point Two air jackets are currently not BETA approved. They have been designed as a top up protection system to wear along side a BETA or European standard approved body protector.

The Point Two air jacket offers additional protection, but we recommend it to be worn with traditional protective riding wear such as the EM13158 body protector.

there is also a vest designed to wear w/ motorcycles - one shouldn't get the equestrian designed vest/recommendations confused w/ the vest designed/recommendations for motorcycles.

Comment

Great info gottagrey!

Anyone have suggestions on how to encourage those in the in the hunter jumper industry to increase the use of safety equipment?

Comment

Where is the DATA?

And not the lab data or testamonials...

While you can't double blind that study, to truly prove the efficacy of the vest start with the premise that most injuries happen outside competition...

I would propose recruiting a local club or several clubs.
                                  Give half the vest to wear during practice, etc..
                                  other half gets "standard" torso protector.

Give yourself 3 seasons, a simple way for the subjects to report injuries to the torso (most likely area),
                                  THEN
                                  you would have data to show good/bad/same as standard torso protector.

So while not in the same category as EXO, good results would put another option for torso protection out there. And competiton is always good!

REgards,
                                  Medical Mike
                                  equestrian medical researcher
                                  www.equicision.com

Comment

....wear it over your coat?

The things weigh something like 2 lbs - I HATE any type of extra clothing while riding and I don't even notice mine. I really like it, actually. It's comfortable, non-constricting, and while it hangs on you LOOSELY (which is apparently what at least one person considers "bulky"... okay?) it is not bulky, per se. Whereas a normal body protector is quite bulky and quite cumbersome.

Comment

Great info gottagrey!

Anyone have suggestions on how to encourage those in the in the hunter jumper industry to increase the use of safety equipment?
                                      Oh Flyracing you might have a tough time on your hands getting the H/J world to even think about wearing protective vests... Geez I remember the brouhaha over making Jr. riders wear ASTM/SEI helmets and the even larger brouhaha when the rule was changed to every rider...

Of note, many BNR in the eventing world are quite keen on wearing the air vests whenever they school at home, not just at competitions. Interestingly enough a gal around here was schooling cross country, had her Air Vest on, bad crash and she's quite thankful she had the air vest on as she felt that she would have suffered internal injuries had it not been for the Air Vest...

Comment

I would think the first step would be to get some real statistics on the benefits (like the ones on approved helmets).

Without that, all you have are anecdotes and personal opinions.
                                        Janet

Comment

Working...
                                        X