Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Sticky stuff and other sticky recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky stuff and other sticky recommendations

Older adult rider here. Can anyone recommend a brand of sticky stuff (to make me feel tighter in the saddle? I realize this may not have any real, appreciable impact, but at this point, psychological is good enough. I am short, horse has a big jump and is downhill. I just want to THINK I am more secure. I am trying to improve my fitness (core, back, legs), if anyone has any other recommendations (fancy stirrups, etc.), I'd love to hear. Thanks!

Last edited by lintesia; Aug. 31, 2020, 10:33 AM. Reason: Response not relevant to the question posed.

Comment

I had tried the sticky sprays. They worked quite well, I felt nice and secure and I stopped slipping around in the saddle. THEN my skin started breaking out, really ugly big pimples, all under where I had sprayed the sticky spray.

Then I found out about silicon full seat breeches/tights. These are WONDERFUL. I use Kerrits silicon full seats, I stick better to the saddle, I stopped sliding all over the saddle, but they are not too sticky as in I have no problems when I post or do 2-point.

Then I got the Rider Grips. They are big circles of rubber that self glues to the saddle. If you own your own saddle it is a good answer, but I see no way that I could put them on, peel them off, and put them on another saddle for every time I ride.

Between the silicon full seat breeches and the Rider Grips I feel much more secure in the saddle, and since I am not sliding around in the saddle the horses like them too!

Comment

I find the sticky spray and the roll-stick products helpful at shows - I put them on my boots and knee patches only. They offset the slippery feeling of tall boots, which I only wear to show.

Full seat breeches or full chaps are certainly more sticky. I gave up my full chaps a long time ago because I felt so insecure when I didn’t/couldn’t wear them.

I have never owned one myself, but I hear that a full buffalo saddle feels nicely “grippy”.

Comment

Sporty Haft-Spray. Comes in an orange can with German writing on it. Best stuff ever.

Comment

You’ll trash your saddle trying to get that stuff off. I know several amateurs in need of a little extra security who prefer to wear full-seats or breeches with silicone patches.
            "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Comment

I like the Kerrits full seat Griptek breeches.
              "Punch him in the wiener. Then leave." AffirmedHope

Comment

Originally posted by staceymc View Post
                Sporty Haft-Spray. Comes in an orange can with German writing on it. Best stuff ever.
                Amen, Stacymc!!!!

Sporty Haft Spray all the way! I don't go into the show ring without it.

In my experience, it provides just enough friction to make you feel a smidge more secure, and maybe just think more about your leg position.

And yes, it will make a gunky mess, mainly on your stirrup leathers. But I do not care...totally worth it.
                ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Comment

Do your boots have a waxed inner leg panel? As a short very ammy adult whos conformation is definitely not designed to be conducive to riding - i feel your pain.
                  I bought some Ariat Monaco LX's that have a waxed inner leg and HECK they stabilize my leg hugely compared to my same-the-whole-way-around Parlanti's.

Also love my silicon grip breeches. I'm keen to try some of those wide stirrup leathers next!

Going off to look at Sporty Haft Spray...

Yeah, yeah, yeah i know, fix your equitation etc etc etc, some of us are old, have fallen off too many times, and will use what ever we can to help. No shame!

Comment

Originally posted by NO-CTRL View Post
                    Going off to look at Sporty Haft Spray...

Yeah, yeah, yeah i know, fix your equitation etc etc etc, some of us are old, have fallen off too many times, and will use what ever we can to help. No shame!
                    I once had to show in the 3'6" A/O first thing in the morning after my horse won an International Derby with my pro. At the ingate I told the nice girl that was helping groom to please use enough of the spray so that they had to peel me off for the jog. I was taking no chances.

Comment

Full seat sticky butt pants are the best, coming from another short amateur who has often been in need of extra help. I have tried Smartpaks and liked them, Horze Grand Prix are nice, RJ Classics came out with a version recently, the already mentioned Kerrits breeches are also great. Lots of choice. I have never actually used the sticky spray, I've just worn sticky butt pants as we jokingly call them in our barn. Our biggest jumping amateur always shows in them for the extra security.

Comment

Originally posted by Renn/aissance View Post
                        You’ll trash your saddle trying to get that stuff off. I know several amateurs in need of a little extra security who prefer to wear full-seats or breeches with silicone patches.
                        Voltaire saddles especially don't like that.

I've never wanted a sticky seat since I ride mostly in a little half seat, but I do buy boots with a grippier inner calf (EGO 7, Ariat Monaco for example). No stick spray needed. I also find Parlanti to be a naturally grippy boot.

Comment

I use the Nunn Finer sticky spray for XC. I prefer to spray my boots, NOT my saddle, and tack cleaning is much better. Easier to scrub boots than saddle...and I find that it's mostly all worn off by the end if the ride anyway. However, I do use it sparingly. I'll never forget seeing Becky Holder "spray paint" her entire dressage saddle (seat, flaps, knee pads) in sticky spray before getting on Courageous Comet. I can't imagine cleaning that much off!
                          A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.
                          ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

I have one very slippery jump saddle, and always made sure to clean and wipe down with glycerin before going cross country in it, otherwise I'd slide all around in it, even wearing full seat breeches. i always wear full seats anyway, but the glycerin made the difference I needed with the saddle. That said, I've never used sticky spray, so I don't know if trying different tack cleaning products would make enough of a difference.

Comment

Ever since I saw McLain Ward liberally apply Sporty Haft sticky spray in the warm up at WEF, I've felt zero shame about using it myself. Yeah ok, I'm jumping 40cm less than he is but whatever, I need all the help I can get! I prefer Sporty Haft, I've tried most of the others. I have a butet saddle, and haven't had any problems getting it clean after, it is absolutely rubbed off by then. I find that grippy silicone if you pinch with your knees is actually not ideal. I try to do everything I can to not grip from there and use my lower leg instead.

Comment

I like the Effax Leather Grip Stick - it's like a mini deodorant stick. I leave it in my backpack and rub it on the inside of my boots (not on my saddle!) before showing, XC schooling, when my horse is fresh, when someone is videoing me and I want to make my lower leg look more quiet than it really is...

Comment

Original Poster

Wow, thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions, very useful information and also a terrific show of support for the amateurs, especially the short ladies. I appreciate the specific references, now purchasing the famous spray, some new breeches, rider grips, had never even heard of grippy boots!

Comment

Another vote for Sporty Haft-Spay. Just be sure to apply it just before you get on (I just use on boots) and don’t go into a bedded stall with it freshly applied.

In a pinch, a bit of water applied to the inside calves of your boots will take away the slippery feeling you sometimes get, especially in drier weather, when you first get on. Seems counterintuitive but it works.
                                    The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Originally posted by 173north View Post
                                      I like the Effax Leather Grip Stick - it's like a mini deodorant stick. I leave it in my backpack and rub it on the inside of my boots (not on my saddle!) before showing, XC schooling, when my horse is fresh, when someone is videoing me and I want to make my lower leg look more quiet than it really is...
                                      This is what I use on my boots. It's not as good/long lasting as the old Sekur Grip Sadl-Tite beeswax stuff, but it doesn't gunk up the saddle as bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by Foitin View Post
                                        Wow, thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions, very useful information and also a terrific show of support for the amateurs, especially the short ladies. I appreciate the specific references, now purchasing the famous spray, some new breeches, rider grips, had never even heard of grippy boots!
                                        OP, another short rider here (whose homebred mare has a VERY thrusty jump), and I event.

I found TuffRider Suregrip tall boots a couple of years ago; they have rubbery section on the inside upper panel and REALLY help with calf grip! I also use silicone full seats (and occasionally the Sporty Haft spray for x-country) but the boots have made such a difference that I no longer need the spray 😉

Unfortunately they are out of production 😞, but there are still some sizes available if you poke around. I bought 2 of the last three pairs (in my size) available on Amazon, so now I have a “spare pair” in reserve!

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

Working...
                                        X