Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Horse showing in the time of Covid ... My Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post

The show can fire staff/disinvite volunteers as punishment.
    I should have been more clear in my question - How will people identify staff/volunteers (when they are not at the post) so as not to waste time trying to make them go away.

I actually like the number idea. The rider and all the people associated with that rider wear the number.

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post

The steward could also have her own health issues that mean she has to literally risk her life every time she has to repeatedly ask people to wear their masks. I wouldn’t blame anyone who decided to stay home instead.
      Risk her life ?? Are you on something?
      I’m hearing of stewards neglecting other duties to enforce masks
      What I’m getting out of this post is that everyone is in terror for their lives. Why not just stay home?
      Clearly Grandma is not!!

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

I should have been more clear in my question - How will people identify staff/volunteers (when they are not at the post) so as not to waste time trying to make them go away.

I actually like the number idea. The rider and all the people associated with that rider wear the number.
        Give them an identifying pin/sticker of some sort that says "Staff" or "Volunteer." Not that hard.
        ~Veronica
        "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
        http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Originally posted by oreo mom View Post
          I’m hearing of stewards neglecting other duties to enforce masks
          What I’m getting out of this post is that everyone is in terror for their lives. Why not just stay home?
          Clearly Grandma is not!!
          Are you serious? Or are you trolling?

If the steward has to interact with an unmasked person who is infected, that unmasked person can transmit a deadly virus to the steward. The steward has to go up to the unmasked person and ask for compliance. That puts the steward in a zone of infection. Multiple it by however many dozens of non-complaint people the steward has to interact with at a given day and the risk keeps growing.

You have to be trolling because you can't TRULY misunderstand what I am saying. If you don't understand how the virus is transmitted or how masks work, I don't know what to say. Any reasonable educated, literate adult without a learning disability should understand. If you can't, that's a problem much more systemic than what happens at horse shows. You're just trolling, right?

I happen to think people probably SHOULD stay home. And I am myself staying home from showing. But shows are nonetheless being held and other people are going. Since they're not staying home, people who choose to go have no excuse for any failure to comply with the rules.

If Grandma wants to risk her own health, that seems like a foolhardy decision to me but it's hers to make. That does NOT justify her making foolhardy decisions with other people's health which is what she does when she decides not to follow the rules and wear her mask. Liken this to knowing you're positive for HIV and having unprotected sex. You KNOW you're exposing other people to a deadly virus. That's criminal. If you choose not to take care of your own health, that's an unwise decision but you're hurting yourself. When you have unprotected sex without disclosure, you hurt others. That's what grandma is doing when she skips the masks. By description she was standing right on the rail with the trainer. So she is exposing the trainer to her germs. When the steward has to come up to ask her to put her mask on, she is also exposing the steward. She is exposing risk to anyone who walks by within a close distance (which they shouldn't do, but depending where she is on the rail it may happen anyway).
          ~Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by oreo mom View Post
            Are you saying people with underlying health issues should not be worried about catching a disease that has killed more than 160,000 Americans in five months?

Are you on something?

Comment

vxf111 that poster is unfortunately not trolling. They think it’s a hoax, no worse than the flu. “Mah rights!” That poster is also offended people who belong to the USEF can’t train with the likes of GHM. Again “Mah rights!”

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post

Are you saying people with underlying health issues should not be worried about catching a disease that has killed more than 160,000 Americans in five months?

Are you on something?
                I just checked and it appears oreo mom created this account just to troll on COVID threads. So I'm not going to bother responding to her anymore. She's got an agenda. I don't feed trolls.
                ~Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
                  I was at a show last weekend. Many competitors brought grandma as their "groom"

While almost everyone who was out and about was wearing masks we had extremely low compliance in the stabling area, and out walking XC. I actually messaged an official for another show to give them a heads up about enforcement in the stabling area. Yes, you need to wear a mask inside your own stall while braiding. Do I think it's ridiculous? YES, but it's the rule and if we want to horse show that's what we do.

We also had to enforce a zero spectating rule, even if you were already at the show competing. The jump judges were tasked in forcing anyone "spectating" off the course, no easy job when the spectator is a kid's mom. Or trainer, or barn mate. The TD had to remove people from the course by threatening to eliminate them from the show.

In my personal opinion banning spectators who are already at the show off of XC is STUPID, but we were getting warning calls from the USEF that people were reporting non compliance and the USEF was saying they would shut the entire show down in the middle of it.

The officials were overwhelmed with the usual show stuff as well as COVID enforcement, and I am certain some of them got cranky.
                  Wow - banning people who are already at the show from spectating is ridiculous. I also wouldn't consider a trainer watching their client ride the course to be spectating. I understand that the officials had no way of separating the 'grandmas' from the 'trainers', but it just seems that no spectating by people approved to be at the show is going beyond the USEF's stated rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiramit View Post

The horse world: where people reserve the right to skirt the rules in the most creative ways possible and bitch mightily when they're caught.
                    I think this is actually the United States in general these days -- so many people who don't think the rules don't or shouldn't apply to them. I have acquaintances on social media routinely bragging about flouting the mask rules in stores, yet also being the first to complain about the economy not being wide open, etc . . .

I showed last weekend at a USEF show -- most people from the local area, not traveling in, and I was told they were requiring a negative COVID test if anyone came from Kentucky (apparently exhibitor lists were distributed to shows, from what I heard, but I have no independent verification of that). It was 95 degrees yet I saw widespread mask compliance, never saw a steward or staff member have to ask anyone to comply, and people generally kept their distance. They had temperature checks and a COVID health/exposure form you had to complete for admission to the grounds, and you had to wear a wristband to show you had completed those. The show rearranged the warmup rings to prevent crowding at the in-gate, and had schooling protocols and plenty of hand sanitizer around. There was a definite sense that the cancellations in Kentucky made it real for people that this was the price of admission if you want to be able to continue, and I felt like the management company did a good job of implementing their protocols.

Comment

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post

I just checked and it appears oreo mom created this account just to troll on COVID threads. So I'm not going to bother responding to her anymore. She's got an agenda. I don't feed trolls.
                      No she did it to troll safe sport threads.

There's a super special irony to her being wildly offended by the superbowl halftime show outfits of jennifer Lopez and Shakira, but her resistance to people being asked to wear masks.

Her comments also elicited a tragically awkward lesson in what parts of female anatomy are on on the inside of the body, not the outside.

But still, definitely someone who lives under a bridge
                      Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenhorse View Post

Wow - banning people who are already at the show from spectating is ridiculous. I also wouldn't consider a trainer watching their client ride the course to be spectating. I understand that the officials had no way of separating the 'grandmas' from the 'trainers', but it just seems that no spectating by people approved to be at the show is going beyond the USEF's stated rules.
                        Nope. The officials were following directions that they were given. Nobody wants to spend their day chasing people off a cross country course, or determining who's course walking and who's spectating. But they don't want the show to get shut down either so they do as they must.
                        http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

At WIHS, the horse show restricts access to stable and spectating areas by designating a certain number of wristbands to each entered horse. If USEF wanted shows to better enforce a spectator ban, I wonder if a similar system could work. Stewards could ask to see wristbands and ask those without them to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

Nope. The officials were following directions that they were given. Nobody wants to spend their day chasing people off a cross country course, or determining who's course walking and who's spectating. But they don't want the show to get shut down either so they do as they must.
                            I understand. But my reading of the USEF rules is that they say no spectators/general public can attend. They don't say that "participants" can't spectate when they are not actively participating. So, if it was the USEF telling the show officials they needed to do this, it seems like they were going beyond their own stated rules.

Comment

I showed last weekend in NJ. Temp check at entrance and had to bring a signed entrance affidavit downloaded off the website confirming I had no symptoms, would leave the show if I began to show symptoms, and would notify the show if I developed symptoms or tested positive within 14 days of the show. Gave that to staff at entrance, and was then given a wristband to go in and out. Mask adherence was quite good and people were social distancing. I didn't spot any covid stewards, ingate staff seemed mostly concerned no riders were going to pass out from the heat.

It seemed like a pretty local crew. I did see some parents, barn pals, etc that could have been violating the no spectator rule or not - all you had to do was tell the temp check folks at the entrance you were a parent of a minor, or grooming and give them the affadavit, so it was really on the honor system. We had a handful of 'spectators' at my ring but it was pretty clearly parents of juniors and barn friends who were also competing and people were scattered around the rail. For a Sunday at a horse show it felt VERY quiet and I didn't feel unsafe. I did later get an email that someone at the week-long show had tested positive but there was no info about what days they were on the grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by 173north View Post
                                I did later get an email that someone at the week-long show had tested positive but there was no info about what days they were on the grounds.
                                That doesn’t seem terribly helpful.

For comparison, the local news site in my area posts locations of possible exposures, right down to the day and hour. For example, Whole Foods on Main Street on 8/10 from 1:00-1:30 pm.

Comment

Serious question...

If someone at a barn tests positive at a show (as happened recently in NJ as 173north noted) does it make sense that people from that barn who were together at the show (not necessarily the exact person who tested positive but people who were there at the show with the positive person) be showing at a different show this weekend?

Barn A had people BCD at a show last weekend. Person B tested positive in the middle of the show. Now this upcoming weekend Barn A is heading to a different show with people CDE coming along. As the barn was a "pod" these people presumably (but no one knows for sure) have not been masking/social distancing with each other when they're not on the show grounds. Even with masks, trainer and grooms were with the group at the first show and are going to the second for sure, even if there are no overlapping clients.

How is this supposed to work? Do the shows report to each other? Does USEF report to the shows what happened in prior weeks? How can you even know/tell if you're this week's show that you have someone coming who was recently with a positive person?

I don't fault any of the shows for this, BTW, but I am not clear on what is supposed to happen. If the answer is that we're relying on competitors to police themselves on the honor system, well, I have no faith in that just like I had no faith for self policing drugging or child abuse in the industry.

So what is supposed to happen here?
                                  ~Veronica

Comment

My guess is that it's just easier from a practical POV to ban everyone watching rather than to try to parse through and figure out who is a competitor watching and who is truly doing nothing but spectating. I agree with you that it is a little silly to ban someone competing in an hour from spending that hour watching but if it makes the job of enforcing the rules easier and more streamlined-- it's not so crazy. Sometimes bright line rules are just easier even when they don't make sense in every individual application.
                                    ~Veronica

Comment

I understand horse shows are important for peoples lively hoods, but so are a lot of other places that are closed. I think it’s absolutely absurd to try to have them, complain when people get annoyed about policing masks on adults..... this is just stupid. Call the year a wash. It’s not the worst disappointment for people .

Comment

I understand. But my reading of the USEF rules is that they say no spectators/general public can attend. They don't say that "participants" can't spectate when they are not actively participating. So, if it was the USEF telling the show officials they needed to do this, it seems like they were going beyond their own stated rules.
                                        Shows can set their own rules in excess of the USEF rules. The Blenheim management group had a show and go policy whereby people are not only supposed be on the grounds in the time frame they are showing, but also not spectate. The only people allowed at the ring are riders, trainers, grooms, and probably the one parent that a minor child is allowed to have. There are rumors of excess “grooms.”
                                        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

If any of you feel you are risking your life, why are you there? What is your point in going to a show?
                                          Not trolling, just interested in motives if you are afraid for your lives?

Comment

Working...
                                          X