Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Horse showing in the time of Covid ... My Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Original Poster

Originally posted by BLBGP View Post

I'm confused....if you and everyone you saw was 100% compliant, then why would any steward even need to speak with you (unkindly or kindly)?
    I said no one was ever purposefully flouting the rules. I don’t think you have shown this summer for you to post something like this. Masks slip down (correct the offender kindly), masks are allowed to be off when mounted (so in the .5 seconds it takes to put them back on once you have dismounted, don’t scream at the rider), and most importantly and strangely, masks are allowed off when one is eating or drinking. In the case of the “grandma” above, she was drinking coffee. Steward didn’t notice and repeatedly scolded her like a child until the trainer standing nearby helpfully pointed out the coffee cup on the ledge below her. Look, nobody is perfect ... masks forgotten often by children (which is probably one reason that pony finals had to be shut down) and folks may sometimes need a reminder or even a refresher on what the rules are as they changed midway through summer (at first it was masks only when not possible to social distance, then it changed last week of July to masks at all times unless mounted or eating/drinking). We are all human. We deserve reminders with kindness and grace, not scolding or screaming so find it interesting that was possible at nine of the ten shows and put the blame squarely on the steward who was officiating the rough show. Since I posted this, I actually heard he/she has decided to step down from stewarding u til the pandemic is over as it is an emotional hot button for him/her for whatever reasons, so there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by hairystockings View Post
      I was just at WEC's last summer show this past week. It was a fascinating week fresh off the KY cancellations. We were on pins and needles beforehand as there were rumors they were thinking about cancelling it which never came to fruition. Accordingly, people BADLY wanted this show to happen so everyone was really good about compliance. They also have a covid steward with her own cart labeled as such who spent all day every day driving the whole property from one end to the other and walking through barns which kept people on their toes and very compliant (she was also very friendly, I always waved and said hi). They cracked down on spectators specifically in the jumper ring because it was indoors and everyone was pretty good about it.
      Interesting that this was your experience with that COVID steward. She yelled at me while I was in a stall alone with no one around and literally had my breakfast bagel in my mouth.....

Maybe I was the 10th person she saw without a mask as was mentioned above

Comment

I'm at a horse show in Ft Worth right now as a vendor. The door people who are trying to remind everyone that masks are required inside (and there are designated entry and exit doors) are getting so much attitude and grief from exhibitors. They told me that horse people are the worst about masks and the rudest about it.

And no - they aren't being angry or emotional or rude to the exhibitors. They are just trying to do their job. We as horse people can - and should - do better.
        Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Comment

It's like being mad the librarian shooshed you. Just don't give the librarian any reason to have shoosh you and you won't have to worry about the manner in which you get shooshed.

Maybe you haven't seen people giving the covid enforcers grief but it doesn't mean they're not getting it. Competitors are there FOR FUN. People working the show are at THEIR JOB (many of them because they can't afford not to work). When competitors out for a fun day at the horse show somehow manage to "forget" and let their mask slip, those put the health of the workers at risk. They are not there for fun. You are. Show them some respect. Follow the rules. Period. Don't make them tell you.

If you can remember to put in a helmet before you mount you can remember to put your mask on when you dismount. This whole "oh it was just for a second, or it just slipped, or I was in between sips of coffee" business is BS (if the coffee is sitting on the rail, grandma is not actively sipping it and can put her mask up) and it shows exactly why the covid enforcers are so frustrated. A rule is a rule. If you're mounted you have to wear a helmet. There's no "grace period" because you just got on and no one would think of giving a steward that line of BS. Yet for some reason, with masks, when it's not your own health you're jeopardizing but someone else's, you're supposed to get some leeway.

How entitled is that?

"Oh officer, yes I was speeding but I was about to slow down. Don't I get a grace period of 5 miles?"
          "Oh yes, I know you can't pee in the restaurant. I was just dribbling a little bit on my way out of the toilet, don't I get 3 dribbles as a grace period?"
          "Oh yes, I know you have to be this tall to ride the ride but I'm only a couple inches shorter, don't I get a couple inches grace period?"

No one has to let you enjoy your fun hobby. It's a private club/event. Follow the rules or leave. Don't bitch when you're given a warning instead of a removal for not following the rules. And don't kill the messenger. If you want horse shows to be able to continue, follow the rules to a T and don't make a covid enforcer have to enforce anything.

I feel for the people working at a show now. They have to have their health put at risk AND babysit a bunch of grown adults who should know better.
          ~Veronica
          "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
          http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Originally posted by GoodTimes View Post
            I agree that kindness should be the first line of defense. But man oh man, people are exhausting.
            Truer words were never spoken.

Comment

Remember, Stewards did not get their cards to endorse a medical opinion of a private club. Most get their cards because they are concerned for the safety of the horses and riders. Yes a few love to wander about, Rulebook clutched closely and berate people but the great majority only care about the safety of the grounds and the people. They are not there to enforce Safe Sport either according to the USEF.
              Happy showing and drink plenty of fluids in this heat— both you and your horse!

Comment

Originally posted by APirateLooksAtForty View Post
                I said no one was ever purposefully flouting the rules. I don’t think you have shown this summer for you to post something like this. Masks slip down (correct the offender kindly), masks are allowed to be off when mounted (so in the .5 seconds it takes to put them back on once you have dismounted, don’t scream at the rider), and most importantly and strangely, masks are allowed off when one is eating or drinking. In the case of the “grandma” above, she was drinking coffee. Steward didn’t notice and repeatedly scolded her like a child until the trainer standing nearby helpfully pointed out the coffee cup on the ledge below her. Look, nobody is perfect ... masks forgotten often by children (which is probably one reason that pony finals had to be shut down) and folks may sometimes need a reminder or even a refresher on what the rules are as they changed midway through summer (at first it was masks only when not possible to social distance, then it changed last week of July to masks at all times unless mounted or eating/drinking). We are all human. We deserve reminders with kindness and grace, not scolding or screaming so find it interesting that was possible at nine of the ten shows and put the blame squarely on the steward who was officiating the rough show. Since I posted this, I actually heard he/she has decided to step down from stewarding u til the pandemic is over as it is an emotional hot button for him/her for whatever reasons, so there you go.
                If Grandma wasn't able to explain to the steward on her own that she wasn't currently wearing her mask because she was drinking her coffee than maybe Grandma shouldn't be supervising...
                Reading between the lines tells me that Grandma wasn't actually drinking her coffee, as you say it was sitting on a ledge, which means Grandma can either pick up her coffee and drink it, or put her mask on.

Comment

That’s right. I’m talking about 9 of ten stewards reminding people nicely and the one off having a sweet grandmother in tears. If stewards can’t enforce the rules calmly and fairly then they shouldn’t be stewards. Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, grandma was taking care of granddaughter, not spectating.
                  Maybe the steward was genuinely upset to see an older person - one of the very people we are trying to protect by all wearing masks and following all these social distancing and limited people on grounds rules - not protecting herself? I'd rather see sweet granny in tears at a horse show than in an induced coma on a ventilator. Sorry that granny was offended, but the rules are clear. Heck, I was at a show and had JUST dismounted - as in foot JUST touched the ground, and I got called out on not having my mask on. The woman was militant about it, but I responded by THANKING her and I could tell by her eyes that she was relieved that I responded nicely. They are just trying to keep people like me, you, granny and granddaughter safe. Nobody, and I mean, nobody wants to be the mask/social distancing/COVID-19 police! But clearly someone has to do it - otherwise, granny would never have been corrected...

Bigger question is: why did 10 stewards at 10 shows need to remind people of the rules? That in itself is indicative of a bigger issue.

Comment

I have to say i have also been to a few shows this summer and if I were caught without my mask, I would absolutely promptly apologize and be quite embarrassed. Hanging out chit chatting while drinking a coffee over the course of 30 minutes is not really an excuse. I am quite sure it's a thankless job and I have seen too many people who seem to think that just because they are with their barn friends, they do not need to wear one.

Comment

I've been to a handful of shows. What I noticed was when the steward was in view, most folks put their masks on. When the steward was not in view, most folks removed their masks.

The EMT didn't even bother to have a mask hanging off his chin, much less anywhere in sight.

The overriding sense I felt was, "We're horse people. The rules don't apply to us."

That said, there were a handful of people who consistently wore masks, so it wasn't 100% non-compliance.

Comment

Pony Finals was not "shut down" because masks and social distancing were "forgotten by children". Many people, the USHJA, and the Pony Finals committee, urged that the competition be postponed due to the pandemic. USEF went ahead and invited it's membership to the show, exhibiting a horrible lack of judgement and leadership.

The Pony Finals, along with most of other big Kentucky hunter shows, were cancelled because of the incidence and spread of COVID cases on the show grounds two days before Pony Finals was scheduled to begin.

I have no sympathy for adults who seem to be incapable and/or unwilling to take basic precautions to prevent the spread of a virus that is killing people. I don't care if they "forget" to follow the rules.
                        If a person is so self centered, forgetful, or clueless that they cannot comprehend and abide by the basic, simple, rules that are required to mitigate the chance of endangering the lives of others, they are truly a danger to public safety and should stay home.

Who are all these adults that cannot seem to function without a nanny or a steward to remind them to follow the rules?

Who are these people that are whining about their nanny/steward's tone of voice when they are reminded that it is unacceptable to endanger the lives of others and that they must follow the rules?

The entire issue, the lack of compliance at horse shows is an extraordinary and horrific view into the psyche of some members of the equestrian community .

The fact that anyone has to be reminded to consider the lives of others because they are not abiding by the rules and then complains that they don't care for the tone of the reminder, is beyond the pale.
                        Last edited by skydy; Aug. 11, 2020, 04:47 AM.

Comment

That’s right. I’m talking about 9 of ten stewards reminding people nicely and the one off having a sweet grandmother in tears. If stewards can’t enforce the rules calmly and fairly then they shouldn’t be stewards. Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, grandma was taking care of granddaughter, not spectating.
                          I think it can be really hard to judge situations like this without knowing the context of the situation. Perhaps the steward had asked grandma three times to follow the policy and it was not done or perhaps grandma is super sensitive and no matter how it was said she would have been in tears. I feel the best thing to do in situations in like this is give both parties the benefit of the doubt .
                          Ann
                          ~\"Think today so you will be here to think tomorrow\" Burma Shave~

Comment

I will also add this. As someone who has enforced safety policies with the public as part of her job some people just don’t listen till you get assertive. I will never forget working an elk jam in Yellowstone and had a man walked right by me and get with in 6 feet of one of our female elk. I asked him to move back nicely three times and he looked at me and just kept taking pictures. It wasn’t till I got nasty did he do what I say. While I agree that people enforcing the rules should always try to be and stay polite sometimes keeping people safe trumps polite.
                            Ann
                            ~\"Think today so you will be here to think tomorrow\" Burma Shave~

Comment

I guess the biggest question is why did 10 out of 10 stewards need to talk to you about wearing a mask?

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by BLBGP View Post
                                I guess the biggest question is why did 10 out of 10 stewards need to talk to you about wearing a mask?
                                Did you actually read my posts? These were my observations of how the officials acted toward others. Kind, effective, calm at 9 of 10 shows. Also did anyone read my post where I found out the steward in question has decided to sit out the rest of the season? Clearly not cut out for the extra layer of stress in these uncertain times. Which was basically my point all along.

Comment

I was the "mask meanie" at a show last month and the majority of the people were ok with a friendly reminder. I did have one group of teenagers who I spoke with a couple of times and the steward also spoke with a couple of times. I finally hit the end of my rope after catching them for the (probably) 10th time in the grandstands not wearing their masks and sitting right next to each other. I asked the steward to accompany me while I lit into them with my 27 years of teaching voice. I also took their trainer's name and banished them from the grounds unless they were showing. I didn't like to get mean, but they were completely blowing us off and putting the show in jeopardy. I also had one parent who was a pain and it took show management intervention to help with that one. The kids were great - they almost always had their masks on and in place - rarely did I have to give them any reminders. I actually thanked a bunch of them for being such great representative of how to keep everyone safe and told their trainers how happy I was to have them being models for everyone else.

Comment

So now.... one's coffee cup sitting on a railing = drinking their coffee?
                                    Does it really need to be explained that while you are not actually in the process of drinking (like when your cup is resting on a railing not even touching you) you should be wearing your mask?

Comment

Original Poster

One thing I noticed that would have helped immensely in following protocol was if the shows had actually been closed to spectators. Saw several from the general population who either didn’t know the rules or didn’t think they were important enough to be followed. Never once saw the spectator rule being enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by Tackpud View Post
                                        I was the "mask meanie" at a show last month and the majority of the people were ok with a friendly reminder. I did have one group of teenagers who I spoke with a couple of times and the steward also spoke with a couple of times. I finally hit the end of my rope after catching them for the (probably) 10th time in the grandstands not wearing their masks and sitting right next to each other. I asked the steward to accompany me while I lit into them with my 27 years of teaching voice. I also took their trainer's name and banished them from the grounds unless they were showing. I didn't like to get mean, but they were completely blowing us off and putting the show in jeopardy. I also had one parent who was a pain and it took show management intervention to help with that one. The kids were great - they almost always had their masks on and in place - rarely did I have to give them any reminders. I actually thanked a bunch of them for being such great representative of how to keep everyone safe and told their trainers how happy I was to have them being models for everyone else.
                                        Thank you for doing the mask meanie duty! It is a very important job these days, and I’m sure it is absolutely no fun the vast majority of the time. But if we want to keep having horse shows, the masks are important. Whether or not you believe the masks actually make a difference, they are a requirement. No masks equals no shows.

I saw a picture on Facebook from the weekend with a group of five or six people sitting at a horse show right next to each other without masks as they watched the ring. And it was an indoor ring. No masks, no separation, none of that. And they were not kids. They looked like they all could have been grandmothers.

Comment

This whole mask thing sounds a lot like trying to get students to wear their goggles over their eyes in chem lab. I probably spent hours over my career asking students to wear goggles, wear them over their eyes as opposed to on their foreheads or around their necks, explaining how to adjust the goggles so they they didn't fog or leave (the horror!), marks on their face after lab, handing out goggles to students who forgot them, and explaining that they needed to wear goggles even if they were "just" cleaning up or were done with their experiment but others were still working. At one point in grad school I completely lost my voice and got through teaching a lab by carrying around a sign that said "wear goggles."

What worked to get students to wear goggles and leave them on? 1-Taking points off--a lab citizenship score from which points were deducted for, among other things, not wearing goggles. 2-Students knowing that I meant business about it. 3-Being consistent with having students know they had to wear them at all times whenever anyone in the lab was working with chemicals.

I have heard that mask compliance has been good based on reports from friends who have shown. I have not been to any shows to observe in person because my horse is re-habbing yet again and the local shows aren't allowing casual spectators, at least in theory. One management group allegedly allows only one parent of a minor child--no owners who aren't showing, no parents of adult children, etc.
                                          The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Working...
                                          X