Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Horse showing in the time of Covid ... My Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horse showing in the time of Covid ... My Experiences

We started showing as soon as the USEF opened things up and have shown at a wide variety of venues. Without going into specifics, I thought that every venue did an excellent job, with one show management company (at a show run by a charity which means a variety of different committees and volunteers— and we all know how that usually goes) falling short, mainly due to misinformation, conflicting information, and uneven enforcement. That being said, my conclusion as far as showing right now is that the level of pleasantness and fairness for exhibitors and riders is directly proportional, to how kind and fair the covid enforcers/stewards are. Had one show experience where the steward was highly emotional, angry and arbitrary in the enforcement. Made the week miserable and we left early. A friend in Kentucky had a similar experience and she went home. My takeaway is that kindness and fair enforcement are vital right now in these highly fraught and anxiety ridden times. That goes both ways of course but I have not personally witnessed any exhibitors being nasty about the regulations ... only a handful of officials.

Kindness is always a good thing.

That being said… I can only imagine the level of frustration for the officials who spent all day asking exhibitors to comply with the rules, only to be ignored. I have been to a bunch of shows in the last two months. Many if not most exhibitors have made a good effort to comply with the rules.

But. There are always some exhibitors who seem to think the rules don’t apply to them. It’s bad enough when those exhibitors ignore the amateur rule or the drug rule or what have you.

But when they ignore the Covid rules, they are jeopardizing the entire horse show. Not just from the standpoint of everyone’s health, but from the very real risk of getting that show and other shows shut down again.

The show managers these days really have to jump through endless extra hoops to hold a horse show in the first place, so it’s not surprising if they feel the need to insist on compliance with the Covid rules.

Comment

Original Poster

You are completely missing my point. It was done kindly and effectively at 9 out of 10 shows. It can be done. It is far more pleasant to show when you are made aware of the rules upfront (they were changing often at the beginning of this) in a calm and even handed manner. Only once this summer has that not occurred and it will stick with me for a long time. Yes I have heard horror stories of non compliance. I never personally saw anyone purposefully flouting the rules. Truth be told, there are calm and effective ways of dealing with that too. like I said it goes both ways but from an exhibitors perspective, kind and non reactive officiating goes a long way in this pandemic.

Comment

I was just at WEC's last summer show this past week. It was a fascinating week fresh off the KY cancellations. We were on pins and needles beforehand as there were rumors they were thinking about cancelling it which never came to fruition. Accordingly, people BADLY wanted this show to happen so everyone was really good about compliance. They also have a covid steward with her own cart labeled as such who spent all day every day driving the whole property from one end to the other and walking through barns which kept people on their toes and very compliant (she was also very friendly, I always waved and said hi). They cracked down on spectators specifically in the jumper ring because it was indoors and everyone was pretty good about it.

It also ended up being a much bigger show than anticipated as people from KY came rolling in through Friday morning looking for somewhere to show. We had more big jumpers than usual once groups like Ashland Farms showed up.

Overall, it was well managed, people were compliant with mask wearing and staying in their groups and maintaining distance from others. I find the local unrated shows are really where we see people not wearing masks nor maintaining distance.

Comment

Originally posted by APirateLooksAtForty View Post
          Yes I have heard horror stories of non compliance. I never personally saw anyone purposefully flouting the rules.
          I’ve seen it a lot. A lot, a lot.

So I can understand that if a steward has to deal with nine people in a row who refuse to follow the rules, the tenth person the steward sees breaking the same rule might not get handled with kid gloves.

Ideally, none of that should happen. The exhibitors breaking the rules, or the steward feeling the need to lay down the law. But the stewards are only human, just like the rest of us.

Comment

Original Poster

But why be nasty about it? I think if you are aggressive or overly emotional the covid steward job is not the right one for you.

Comment

Our very excellent public health officer here, Dr Bonny Henry, signs off her press briefings by saying "be calm, be kind, be safe." I think those are excellent guidelines. While COVID safety matters, at the same time no single instance especially outdoors or in well ventilated areas is of the extreme urgency to require confrontation. She also did not want to see altercations in public or lots of tattle tale 911 calls about minor things

While we were on shutdown in March and April, I realized that how people dealt with their anxiety in communities, barns, neighborhoods, could have a longer negative effect on personal relationships. Having a batshit aggressive show steward will make people think differently about that venue and is not good strategy.

We've made it through to "stage 3" re openings under Dr Bonny's guidance and I think her message of mutual toleration and personal responsibility has been very positive for us.

Comment

But why be nasty about it? I think if you are aggressive or overly emotional the covid steward job is not the right one for you.
                You missed the part in MHM's post about the steward perhaps losing the politeness with the 10th person. I don't think that's the sign of an inherent character flaw in the steward. It's really unfair to say so.

And BTW, no one coming to a horse show, however squirrelly the rules there, doesn't know that masks are being required more and more places. IMO, there is no excuse for evading the rules at this point and I am truly sorry that the horsey set even requires this kind of policing. We should know better and need to put in some effort if we want our non-essential gatherings to continue. I will lose no sleep over a steward being short with the elite people who don't care to or forget to do something in the interest of public health.
                The armchair saddler
                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

If people can't follow the rules, i.e., wear a mask, then they should stay home. Rules are rules. Stewards are there to enforce the rules. That is their job.

Comment

Original Poster

That’s right. I’m talking about 9 of ten stewards reminding people nicely and the one off having a sweet grandmother in tears. If stewards can’t enforce the rules calmly and fairly then they shouldn’t be stewards. Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, grandma was taking care of granddaughter, not spectating.

Comment

I've done three shows so far - trailer in only, although I did have to walk through the stabling area at one. Mask wearing in stabling was definitely hit or miss. And at one show where they were doing temp checks at the gate there was at least one BNT and a show official wandering around without masks. Maybe because I've only been trailering in, but I've yet to see anyone going around the grounds policing mask usage.

On a separate note, I'm disappointed that some of the other changes that were promised by many shows haven't materialized. Early on many shows said they would do frequent updating of online numbers and ring status to help people "show and go" but for the most part you are lucky to get a midday update if anything. A minor inconvenience in the long run, but something I was looking forward to as I often trailer in for shows.

Comment

That’s right. I’m talking about 9 of ten stewards reminding people nicely and the one off having a sweet grandmother in tears. If stewards can’t enforce the rules calmly and fairly then they shouldn’t be stewards. Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, grandma was taking care of granddaughter, not spectating.
                        Because maybe Grandma should know better and Grandma was the 10th person in a very short time that had to be reminded of a very basic fact.

I do agree that being nice is the best plan. That aside, I am willing to accept that even very nice people who are excellent at their job have a breaking point that sometimes I might not have seen what caused them to go over it. Volunteering at what has become the most thankless job ever has got to be exceptionally stressful.

And really....what reason did Grandma have for not following the rules to start with?

Comment

Granted, this might not work for every steward.

But maybe some of them could wear shirts with a screen shot from Fatal Attraction with the line, “I’m not going to be ignored!”

Comment

Why should a "covid enforcer" ever have to speak with people? Shouldn't people just behave/follow the rules and not NEED to be spoken to about them? If rules are changing, those attending the show need to get themselves up to speed. The fact that the "covid enforcer" even has to be talking to people is indicative that there IS a problem.

Why is sweet grandma even at a show? Why didn't whoever brought her ensure she was following the rules? If she is the adult in charge of the child that day it's her RESPONSIBILITY. That's part of what she's there for.

Why is common sense so uncommon?

Having spent some time enforcing leash and parking rules at Devon, you should spend a day doing it and then see how you feel OP. When you've asked politely for the 100th time and you see someone STILL letting their dog loose, it's frustrating. And this is a public health crisis where people's health is at serious risk.
                            Last edited by vxf111; Aug. 10, 2020, 01:04 PM.
                            ~Veronica
                            "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                            http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

It doesn't matter if the Steward has said it 10 times, perhaps this is the 1st time this person needed a reminder. I keep reading on here about higher expectations for our USHJA....

It's no different then a Park Ranger at Yellowstone reminding people EVERYDAY about staying away from wild animals, doesn't mean they get to be a jerk to 10th person because they are tired of saying it.

adding- as Renn/aissance said-if necessary, be "direct, forthright, and professional"

Comment

I was the announcer/starter for a local horse show a few weeks back. The COVID procedures were published in the prize list. Exhibitors were stopped for a temperature check before entering the property (and anyone who blew past them sent back.) I was asked by management, the steward, and the EMT to give continual reminders about social distancing and mask-wearing.

I can tell you that by the 25th repetition of "a reminder to all exhibitors and spectators to keep 6 feet of social distance between yourselves while not preparing a rider for the ring, and that masks must be worn over your nose and your mouth. Thank you," I was not amused by the exhibitor hand-grazing her horse within 6 feet of someone else with her mask pulled underneath her chin, looking directly at me. I walked over to that exhibitor and said she needed to put her mask on. She did. 5 minutes later, guess whose mask was underneath her chin? My statement to any exhibitor I had to address directly was given in the same tone of voice I use with my direct reports at my day job when reminding them of expectations: direct, forthright, professional: "I need you to put your mask on covering your nose and your mouth."

I was also not amused by those proclaiming that "all this COVID stuff will just go away after the election." But proud of our junior and young amateur riders who had already registered to vote and requested mail-in ballots for their first exercise of this civic duty!

I don't know what the grandma was or wasn't doing, but I am illustrating why a person who is typically polite and lighthearted with exhibitors may lose her cool after the umpteenth person who has decided that the rules do not apply to them in this particular set of circumstances and is electing to tell me why they're special. You're on someone else's property surrounded by other people in order to pursue a luxury hobby by choice. Put your damn mask on or go home.
                                "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Comment

Realistically, the most effective way to drive home the Covid rules would be to throw somebody off the showgrounds for not wearing a mask. And that has probably already happened more than once.

But there will still be people who choose to ignore the rules anyway.

Comment

If being told (even rudely) to put on a mask and follow social distancing rules reduces someone to tears, maybe that person is not an appropriate choice to be in charge of a minor and large dangerous animal out in public.
                                    ~Veronica
                                    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                                    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

You are completely missing my point. It was done kindly and effectively at 9 out of 10 shows. It can be done. It is far more pleasant to show when you are made aware of the rules upfront (they were changing often at the beginning of this) in a calm and even handed manner. Only once this summer has that not occurred and it will stick with me for a long time. Yes I have heard horror stories of non compliance. I never personally saw anyone purposefully flouting the rules. Truth be told, there are calm and effective ways of dealing with that too. like I said it goes both ways but from an exhibitors perspective, kind and non reactive officiating goes a long way in this pandemic.
                                      I'm confused....if you and everyone you saw was 100% compliant, then why would any steward even need to speak with you (unkindly or kindly)?

Comment

Unless you follow the steward or Covid enforcer around all day you really have no idea how well people are complying, or how they are being treated.

I can't even imagine having that job right now.
                                        I work in healthcare. It is a public mandate where I live that everyone has to wear a mask if they are inside a public building. Our clinic policy has required patients to wear masks since we reopened in May. I perform echocardiograms which require the patient and I to be less than an arms length away from each other for 20-40 minutes. Do you have any idea how many times per day I have to tell people to put their mask on? That it needs to cover their mouth AND their nose? How many times per day people feel the need to whine about it to me?
                                        If people can't wear a mask properly at a medical appointment why on earth would anyone think that every.single.person. at a horseshow would comply 100%?

I agree that kindness should be the first line of defense. But man oh man, people are exhausting.

Comment

Working...
                                        X