Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

2020 Pony Finals Canceled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oreo mom View Post
    I’m sorry you lost both your parents. That’s hard.
    I read this as her parents are alive but she doesn't feel like it's safe to ever see them in person again.
    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

The attacks on posters who are following local and KY state recommendations, and were planning on following all show requirements are uncalled for. Travel is allowed, horse showing and eating in restaurants is currently allowed. Staying in hotels is allowed. It is ridiculous to shame someone who is doing things that are allowed, is wearing a mask, is following social distancing, etc.

If you don't feel comfortable doing those things, then don't, and people will respect your choice.
      Isn't Kentucky one of the states requiring (or asking?) visitors to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival? I seriously doubt all of the out of state horse show attendees arrived two weeks in advance and had a quarantine plan in place for those 2 weeks.
      www.retiredhorses.com
      Blogging about daily life on the retirement farm: http://paradigmfarms.blogspot.com/
      Paradigm Farms on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by onthebit View Post

Isn't Kentucky one of the states requiring (or asking?) visitors to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival? I seriously doubt all of the out of state horse show attendees arrived two weeks in advance and had a quarantine plan in place for those 2 weeks.
        Kentucky RECOMMENDS that people from Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Nevada, South Carolina and Texas quarantine but it isn't a mandate, which means that people travelling aren't breaking any laws. Since this was in place on the 20th, and pony finals was allowed to continue with no required changes by the state then people travelling for the show were in the clear. Had it been a MANDATE, or had the show been told no entries should be accepted and people came anyway that would be different. As it was the show was in line with state rules, it was the USEF that shut it down
        Last edited by enjoytheride; Aug. 2, 2020, 09:38 AM.
        http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

If anyone still wonders how fast this can spread, the YMCA camp in Georgia where 2/3 of the campers and staff are testing positive is a sad example.

If you want totally irresponsible, there is a reality show family with multiple little girls. They went on a family ski trip to Wyoming when the lockdown in Texas was starting, and then whined about having to self-quarantine when they got home (in a mansion, on an acre or two, with a giant pool, play sets). Then in the last month or so, they've gone on two water park trips, a Gulf boat excursion (no life jackets on the kids), and then a couple of weeks at a beach house. Now they're going on an RV trip, and all of it's being filmed (TV crew is masked, but not the kids or the parents).
          You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Originally posted by inca View Post
            Nickelodian Do you know the sequence of events with the braider that tested positive? The press release made it sound like that person was on the show grounds braiding and received news of a positive test result that same day. Which would seem to mean that person was waiting for test results but decided to come to the show and braid anyway?

REALLY sorry for the kids. Absolutely devastating the way it all happened.
            The braider went to get tested because she was in contact with the groom who originally tested positive, as was their whole barn. She is asymptomatic. She is self quarantining at home.
            You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Anyone traveling across the country during a pandemic that is killing a 1000 plus a day should expect some hiccups. Seriously folks this pandemic is going to get worse before it gets better. The sooner the USEF steps up and cancels the rest of the year the better and safer everyone will be!

Comment

I am 100% in support of the cancellation, but am livid about how USEF handled the entire situation.

This is yet another example of how the equestrian world as a whole feels they operate outside/above the rest of society, unconcerned about what’s happening on the outside until it directly impacts them.

Pony Finals should have been canceled weeks ago, when it became apparent that numerous states (including ones with active equestrian populations) were trending in the wrong direction.

I understand that we need to find a way to keep living our lives and supporting the economy during this pandemic. I understand how unique Pony Finals is, even as compared to other championships. But USEF’s lack of foresight for the obvious outcome has now wasted their members’ time, money, and effort in addition to potentially compromising their health. Not to mention, they’ve now crushed the dreams of tons of little kids who literally had their bags packed for the show.

Yes, it was a hard decision, and I’m glad I wasn’t the one making it. But shame on you, USEF, for being so completely out of touch with reality. Your members deserve better.
                Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Originally posted by mbhorse View Post
                  Honestly, I think USEF needs to go ahead and "rip off the band aid" and just cancel sanctioned shows for the remainder of 2020. Canceling shows at the last minute just puts the wellbeing of the horses at jeopardy with unplanned shipping or layups, stresses the riders and trainers, and wastes a boatload of money for the exhibitors, owners, trainers and horse show management.
                  A major non-horsey event that I sometimes attend, which also draws visitors from far and wide, scheduled for late January 2021, has just announced that it will be cancelled.
                  That is a responsible timeline. (It draws a lot of vendors and many folks plan vacation time and hotel reservations around it.)
                  "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoofbeat_Heartbeat View Post

Definitely agreed.

And why can’t shows implement a check in procedure with some sort of “guest list” type thing; ONLY trainers/grooms/1 parent/riders (and of course other support/vendors/braiders) on that list, list is verified with show entries, or something like this.
                    This is exactly what the Blenheim group run by Robert Ridland is doing. Only one parent per minor child. No other guests. No owners. No spectating at ring- you ride and leave the area.
                    The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Time to learn from past mistakes and cancel this new weird version of Outdoor Indoors.

Comment

First of all, anyone who didn’t have it in the back of their mind that events (whether a horse show, or wedding, etc, etc) could be cancelled or postponed at the drop of a hat has their head in the sand.

Second, just because something is allowed, does not mean that it is smart or responsible to participate.

Third, don’t be selfish. Don’t try to justify luxury activities, especially when you have little to no control over what the other participants are doing.

Fourth. Dear Canada, please keep the border closed.

Sincerely someone who purchased a weanling in 2017 in order to participate in the 2020 Cup classes at the Royal Winter Fair. The Cups are limited to 3yo Canadian bred sport horses. RAWF was unsurprisingly cancelled weeks ago.
                        I now have a lovely, fancy 3yo who I’ve been enjoying at home. No plans for showing until next year.
                        I’m lucky to have her. I’m lucky to have my job, my house, and mostly my health.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

Kentucky RECOMMENDS that people from Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Nevada, South Carolina and Texas quarantine but it isn't a mandate, which means that people travelling aren't breaking any laws. Since this was in place on the 20th, and pony finals was allowed to continue with no required changes by the state then people travelling for the show were in the clear. Had it been a MANDATE, or had the show been told no entries should be accepted and people came anyway that would be different. As it was the show was in line with state rules, it was the USEF that shut it down
                          Just because you can legally do something doesn’t always mean it’s a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodTimes View Post
                            First of all, anyone who didn’t have it in the back of their mind that events (whether a horse show, or wedding, etc, etc) could be cancelled or postponed at the drop of a hat has their head in the sand.

Second, just because something is allowed, does not mean that it is smart or responsible to participate.

Third, don’t be selfish. Don’t try to justify luxury activities, especially when you have little to no control over what the other participants are doing.

Fourth. Dear Canada, please keep the border closed.

Sincerely someone who purchased a weanling in 2017 in order to participate in the 2020 Cup classes at the Royal Winter Fair. The Cups are limited to 3yo Canadian bred sport horses. RAWF was unsurprisingly cancelled weeks ago.
                            I now have a lovely, fancy 3yo who I’ve been enjoying at home. No plans for showing until next year.
                            I’m lucky to have her. I’m lucky to have my job, my house, and mostly my health.
                            I appreciate your personal responsibility and your good attitude towards a lousy situation.

But I also don’t think it’s as simple as choosing whether or not to participate. If shows are happening, many in the horse industry have to participate if they want to maintain their business. Sitting out comes with the risk of sacrificing one’s income, as others will mobilize to the shows and the barns willing to attend them.

I’m a teacher. I don’t think my school should be reopening, but it is. People say if I’m “scared,” then I should just quit and stay home (fear is not the basis for my reasoning, but that’s what some people assume). Yet I can’t just quit. I would jeopardize my relationship with my employer leaving them hanging at this point, possibly damaging future references from them. I don’t have another job lined up. I need the benefits. I don’t want to burn through my meager savings, especially with so much economic uncertainty right now.

While not a perfect parallel, similar forces affect horse professionals deciding whether or not to attend a show. It’s not just a hobby for the majority of people at these events. It’s their entire livelihood.

For that same reason, there is immense pressure to “get back to normal.” But society is not in a position to do so and I personally believe the potential economic damages are far greater when we kid ourselves like this. Thousands of dollars were lost with the decision to cancel Pony Finals at the last minute. Yet if the leadership had responsibly considered the risk of holding such an event in its regular format and canceled in advance, people could have used that financial investment to innovate safer ways to maintain income.

Sorry to get all preachy. This isn’t directed at you, it’s just my frustration with so much of the leadership during these times.
                            Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post

But I also don’t think it’s as simple as choosing whether or not to participate. If shows are happening, many in the horse industry have to participate if they want to maintain their business. Sitting out comes with the risk of sacrificing one’s income, as others will mobilize to the shows and the barns willing to attend them.

But people in this position are often also the LEAST able to handle a serious illness (which COVID can cause) either in terms of a lack of insurance/money for treatment or a lack of backup coverage/ability to be out of work (or both).

So scaling things back to make them safer, SO THESE PEOPLE CAN WORK SAFELY, seems like a no brainer if you truly care about the well being of those in the industry. However you view that scaling back (no showing, only local showing, etc.) inviting hundreds of people from places like Florida and Texas to converge on Lexington with small kids was IN NO WAY realistic if your goal is to try to keep the industry going in a safe/realistic way.

I'm not showing right now. But I can see the argument for people going to local-area shows, in their community, with rigid protocols in place WHEN THE LOCAL COVID NUMBERS ARE NOT LOOKING BAD. I'm not doing it. I have no interest. But I can see the argument for this (I don't think it's a good argument but I can see the argument). I can also see the argument for riding/training at home, again with safety protocols. What I cannot see a non-selfish justification for is people traveling across the country from hotspots just to show. Every layer of this has unnecessary risks to the community-- the travel, the number of people in close quarters mixing from different areas, the impact on local infrastructure (not only restaurants, hotels, and grocery stores but HOSPITALS-- if you get sick at an away show you're stressing that area's hospitals not your own). It's just not safe. People are going to do it because people have proven that their own selfishness outweighs their concern for the greater good-- which is why we need USEF to shut this whole things down, not encourage it.

Bet that braider doesn't have health insurance. And that's why, even though she felt ill and was awaiting testing, she went to work anyway. So now we have a sick person who can't afford to be sick and got a bunch of other people sick (potentially) and shut a big show down. HOW IS THIS HELPING LITERALLY ANYONE?
                              ~Veronica
                              "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                              http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post

But people in this position are often also the LEAST able to handle a serious illness (which COVID can cause) either in terms of a lack of insurance/money for treatment or a lack of backup coverage/ability to be out of work (or both).

So scaling things back to make them safer, SO THESE PEOPLE CAN WORK SAFELY, seems like a no brainer if you truly care about the well being of those in the industry. However you view that scaling back (no showing, only local showing, etc.) inviting hundreds of people from places like Florida and Texas to converge on Lexington with small kids was IN NO WAY realistic if your goal is to try to keep the industry going in a safe/realistic way.

I'm not showing right now. But I can see the argument for people going to local-area shows, in their community, with rigid protocols in place WHEN THE LOCAL COVID NUMBERS ARE NOT LOOKING BAD. I'm not doing it. I have no interest. But I can see the argument for this (I don't think it's a good argument but I can see the argument). I can also see the argument for riding/training at home, again with safety protocols. What I cannot see a non-selfish justification for is people traveling across the country from hotspots just to show. Every layer of this has unnecessary risks to the community-- the travel, the number of people in close quarters mixing from different areas, the impact on local infrastructure (not only restaurants, hotels, and grocery stores but HOSPITALS-- if you get sick at an away show you're stressing that area's hospitals not your own). It's just not safe. People are going to do it because people have proven that their own selfishness outweighs their concern for the greater good-- which is why we need USEF to shut this whole things down, not encourage it.

Bet that braider doesn't have health insurance. And that's why, even though she felt ill and was awaiting testing, she went to work anyway. So now we have a sick person who can't afford to be sick and got a bunch of other people sick (potentially) and shut a big show down. HOW IS THIS HELPING LITERALLY ANYONE?
                                I agree with you on every level. That is exactly why I’m so angry with USEF’s handling of these major events, like Pony Finals.

An affluent competitor has the choice whether or not to participate. But most of the people working the show do not have such a choice, and they are the people who stand to experience the most hardship from contracting Covid.

Comment

Originally posted by skydy View Post
                                  When you indulge in recreational travel, at a time when so many people are cognizant that interstate travel is against the advice of public health authorities, even to attend a loved ones funeral or to see your elderly relatives (and people are keeping to those guidelines because of the risk to posed to the health of others) your travel for recreational purposes is indeed a very selfish act.
                                  THIS!!!!!!! I am isolated in Va and can’t go home to Canada because of quarantine restrictions AND I have to travel through 4 states and countless gas stations etc to get there. Showing is a privilege NOT a right. Stay home. USEF wake TF up and shut it all down.
                                  Your village is calling. Apparently their idiot is missing!

Comment

It just amazes me, that when other sports are postponing/canceling games due to positive COVID cases, USEF forges ahead with a, “the show must go on”, mentality. How incredibly tone deaf.

Comment

In addition maybe it’s time to look at the business models that barns are utilizing that they NEED to horse show to have an income. I think the the old way is gone...period. Get creative and tighten the belt..times are tough and not about to get easier any time soon
                                      Your village is calling. Apparently their idiot is missing!

Comment

The responsible and professional thing would have been for the USEF to cancel weeks ago. The kids would have still been disappointed, no question. But to do it when the show is mere days away, with many already there, is really terrible...

Had the powers that be even thought of a "what if" scenario on having to cancel at the last minute, which this basically is? Ponies on the show grounds, more on the way, and the expense of everyone and everything to get there.

Pony Finals is more than just another horse show. Young riders from all over the country coming together for more than the showing. It is the whole experience, and from what I know, many of those social events were already cancelled.

Poor choice to think this could have been pulled off without an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickelodian View Post

My point on Kroger was in regards to a comparison to the show, not Kroger in itself.
                                          K but having to go to Kroger and other local shops for food and supplies, while in the area from out-of-town, are all part of horse showing. When people say they're concerned about sanctioned shows and people coming in from all over the country for these big ones like Pony Finals, it's not solely just about being on the show grounds together. The concern is for everything that is part of the entire experience, including people from states with huge COVID numbers gallivanting about in their local grocery store.

Comment

Working...
                                          X