Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Multiple ownership a red flag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple ownership a red flag?

I am dreaming/casual looking for a horse and am interested in one, but am concerned about the fact that it is already on its third owner at the age of seven. Is this a red flag? Would love to get feedback.

I don’t think that’s too concerning. Breeder sells young horse to owner #2 who starts it undersaddle, starts it, and finishes it to a point then sells to current owner. There could be a plethora of reasons owner 3 wants to sell - too green, not the right fit, etc. ask the seller how long they’ve had the horse, what they have been doing with it, and why they are selling.

Comment

Originally posted by capalypinto View Post
      I am dreaming/casual looking for a horse and am interested in one, but am concerned about the fact that it is already on its third owner at the age of seven. Is this a red flag? Would love to get feedback.
      Could be a red flag or could be a horse who has been unlucky. I bought a 3yo last year that I’m now the 7th owner. Absolutely nothing wrong with the horse but he kept falling into the hands of people who didn’t have time for a young horse or fell under financial difficulties and since he was the most valuable of their horses he got sold.

Comment

I don't think that would be unusual at all for a 7 year old, especially if the three owners would be the breeder, the person who bought the horse to start it, and whoever they sold it to next.
        Flickr

Comment

In short, no. There are plenty of non-nefarious reasons why horses are sold.

You'll have to be more specific about the horse, what job you want it for, what job its been doing etc... before anyone can tell if there is a problem with this horse having had multiple owners at age 7.

Comment

I wouldn't be concerned. I was the 5th owner of my 7 year old.

The first was the breeder/trainer (when he was on the track), 2nd was the person who bought him to restart, 3rd was another trainer in a different city who bought him to resell, 4th was a junior rider who sold him to me when she wanted to move up in the jumpers (and I wanted an adult ammy hunter).

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback. I am also wondering what is meant when told that a sales horse has a spook? I know that every horse has the potential to spook, but I am thinking if that is mentioned when describing the horse, it may be severe. How challenging is it to desensitize a spooky horse and would you consider that a disqualifying characteristic in a potential purchase for an 3' AA rider ?

Comment

that would be a deal breaker. All horses can spook but to me, saying a horse has a spook , to me, means he does spook.
                _\\]
                -- * > hoopoe
                Procrastinate NOW
                Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. I am also wondering what is meant when told that a sales horse has a spook? I know that every horse has the potential to spook, but I am thinking if that is mentioned when describing the horse, it may be severe. How challenging is it to desensitize a spooky horse and would you consider that a disqualifying characteristic in a potential purchase for an 3' AA rider ?
                  It depends upon why the horse spooks. If you are a good enough trainer you'll be able to sit the spook and, in time, understand why the horse is spooking (trying to get out of work, no trust in its rider, in pain, generally fearful and/or NQR in the brain etc...) and you may or may not be able to improve it.

In any case "desensitizing " the horse isn't what is required. The process of figuring out the spooker and in time perhaps coming to the realization that the horse is NQR in the head, is not something most 3' AA riders are interested in taking on, so you should definitely pass on anything labeled as a spooker.

Comment

is the horse currently a hunter and being described as spooky in that context? Or is is a trail horse, being sold because it spooks (as an example)? If it is spooky at the job you want it to do, I would be hesitant. If it is spooky at something you have no interest in doing (such as spooky at Moose), then it wouldn't bother me.
                    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

is the horse currently a hunter and being described as spooky in that context? Or is is a trail horse, being sold because it spooks (as an example)? If it is spooky at the job you want it to do, I would be hesitant. If it is spooky at something you have no interest in doing (such as spooky at Moose), then it wouldn't bother me.
                      Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Best horse I ever owned was passed around a few times by age 9. I think he never found his person until I got him. And he was absolutely PERFECT. I am not one to check a show record until (making a leap that’s how you found this out) until I try them and am interested.

Comment

I own and used to show a horse with a spook. I think it had a lot to do with his vision - he has an ocular melanoma. I finally got so fed up with him I retired him when my younger horse was ready for me to show. I haven't ridden him for 2 years and every time I think about trying him again, I remember how frustrated he made me. I can't tell you how great it is to have a horse (horse #2) that almost never spooks - and the two times he has made complete sense. You don't realize how defensive your riding becomes when you ride a spooky horse - took a while to get over that when I moved on to horse #2.

I guess this is a long way of saying I would pass.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                            The horse was originally sold as a dressage horse, but had some limited jumping experience. It is now being sold as a potential hunter-jumper or jumper. The horse spooks many times when ridden in the ring and I think it has developed that habit since it doesn't seem genuinely fearful. I can tolerate some spookiness, but would rather not invest in a horse in which I have to ride defensively, always wondering, in the back of my mind, when or if the horse may explode.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by oldernewbie View Post
                              I own and used to show a horse with a spook. I think it had a lot to do with his vision - he has an ocular melanoma. I finally got so fed up with him I retired him when my younger horse was ready for me to show. I haven't ridden him for 2 years and every time I think about trying him again, I remember how frustrated he made me. I can't tell you how great it is to have a horse (horse #2) that almost never spooks - and the two times he has made complete sense. You don't realize how defensive your riding becomes when you ride a spooky horse - took a while to get over that when I moved on to horse #2.

I guess this is a long way of saying I would pass.
                              Thank you for sharing. I agree that the defensiveness that I would develop from this type of ride might take all of the fun out of riding.

Comment

The horse was originally sold as a dressage horse, but had some limited jumping experience. It is now being sold as a potential hunter-jumper or jumper. The horse spooks many times when ridden in the ring and I think it has developed that habit since it doesn't seem genuinely fearful. I can tolerate some spookiness, but would rather not invest in a horse in which I have to ride defensively, always wondering, in the back of my mind, when or if the horse may explode.
                                Something to consider is that spooking can sometimes (far from always, but sometimes) have a pain link. I've known a few dressage horses with back or neck issues that were happy to go in a longer hunter frame but would get spooky or hot in a more compact frame. The ethical trainers disclosed this and the horses were sold as such and in others they glossed over it and the horse "just didn't want to play in the sandbox" when there was notable kissing spines or cervical arthritis.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by GraceLikeRain View Post

Something to consider is that spooking can sometimes (far from always, but sometimes) have a pain link. I've known a few dressage horses with back or neck issues that were happy to go in a longer hunter frame but would get spooky or hot in a more compact frame. The ethical trainers disclosed this and the horses were sold as such and in others they glossed over it and the horse "just didn't want to play in the sandbox" when there was notable kissing spines or cervical arthritis.
                                  I didn't even think about that. Thank you

Comment

I think I've reached the ripe old age of not wanting to get on horses known to spook frequently.

Comment

The spookiness thing would really depend for me. Mine will jump fire (has done Derby Finals, Devon, etc. and done them well). But if he's fresh??? Spooks at everything. Trot too close to a jump? Picks up all 4 hooves and moves over. That Yeti drink cup that moved 6 feet down the rail from yesterday? Monster. The cat that lives in the indoor ring? Never seen it before and it will eat me. These antics just make me laugh.

But as an A/O if I had one that was terribly spooky to jumps, and it was consistent and every new course/jump/trip was a risk of a big spook or a stop because we're staring at the jump like it's a black hole? Hard pass.

Comment

As a kid I had a small horse with a big spook for genuinely alarming things on the trail. We didn't ride in formal arenas enough to develop any aversions to them. When I returned to riding it turned out I could still sit a spook. But I hate spooks, especially the horse that starts spooking in the arena for no reason. I rode one in my re-rider lessons until my coach at the time pulled him off the lesson string and sold him to a private home. I recall we had to actually bail early out of a lesson one day in winter because someone had a baby in the barn and the baby fretting made him lose his mind.

You just do not want that kind of problem. It's not at all about being scared of real stuff and is not necessarily fixed by groundwork. I'm sure it has a pain component. This lesson horse was a later teens TB with a certain very subtle hitch in his hind end. Not visible from the ground, but could feel it in the saddle sometimes.

Last year I was riding an Iberian cross dressage school mistress who was rock solid in the arena. We had one spook and scoot when the parks workers dumped a load of gravel nearby when we were doing a canter transition. I think any horse would be startled. But she basically loved her arena time. On the local trails though she got spooky at nothing and it was definitely related to being uncomfortable on gravel, and improved a lot with boots. I learned to ride her on soft contact but proactively between hand and leg. Then I took her camping up to the ranch grasslands and rode her three days in a row hours up into foot hills and she was rock steady and solid and no spooks.

Anyhow I would pass on a horse that habitually spooks in his home arena, because that's a sign of resistance, not of actual fear.

Comment

Working...
                                        X