Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Harrisburg and Washington Will Be at... Tampa.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ocala Jockey Club just announced the cancellation of their November event, which was an Olympic qualifier and selection trial, as well as the 4* national championships. The president cited increasing cases as the reason. At least someone is being smart.

Comment

Originally posted by initiate1987 View Post
      The Ocala Jockey Club just announced the cancellation of their November event, which was an Olympic qualifier and selection trial, as well as the 4* national championships. The president cited increasing cases as the reason. At least someone is being smart.
      And held OUTDOORS.

I will state on the record again.... WHY do we NEED points and end of year championships this year?? Can't we all just do our own thing and hope that 21 is more normal. Why do we need a year end championship in THIS year??? (And no discipline is excluded from my thoughts on this) Show if you can and want to, but don't make it more than because you want to.

Em
      "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyBays View Post
        There are people who rely on these shows to make their living. I feel sorry for the communities around these venues that rely on the income to survive.

They canceled the fairs near me. Makes sense, as we are almost to August and cases are still high, and a fair would certainly Be a good place for spreading the virus. However, those food vendors who sell corn dogs and elephant ears rely on those fairs. They make their whole income for the year in the span of a few months. These people will lose their homes and their businesses. I wonder how many equestrians won’t make it out of this financially.
        I hear you, and where I am, the fair is cancelled, but the food vendors are now selling fair food online! so you can get those turkey legs and funnel cakes delivered right to your door! Which I think is a great idea!

Comment

Around here Fair vendors are doing food trucks at places like TSC parking lots.
          I haven't seen my Must Haves: corndogs & root beer float. But I have Hope 🙏
          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
            Around here Fair vendors are doing food trucks at places like TSC parking lots.
            I haven't seen my Must Haves: corndogs & root beer float. But I have Hope 🙏
            Something about a corn dog at the fair is so much better than any other corn dog you can get. Yum!

Comment

Someone on FB made the astute point that the release specifically called out the new events "meeting the requirements of the sponsors." These events are happening because people still want to make money at the larger expense of the greater good.

Comment

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post

And held OUTDOORS.

I will state on the record again.... WHY do we NEED points and end of year championships this year?? Can't we all just do our own thing and hope that 21 is more normal. Why do we need a year end championship in THIS year??? (And no discipline is excluded from my thoughts on this) Show if you can and want to, but don't make it more than because you want to.

Em
                I don’t have an issue with awarding points and National and Zone awards for the year. If people are out showing, I don’t see anything wrong with them getting points for it.

But holding large, national gatherings that require people and horses to fly across the country in the current environment seems unnecessarily risky to me. And yes—that goes across disciplines, I wouldn’t want to attend AECs or USDF Nationals, either, even if they were only a short haul for me personally.
                A Year In the Saddle

Comment

If you don't count infections, hospitalizations, or deaths, Florida is doing GREAT in managing Covid. So it makes TOTAL SENSE to move the show there. /s
                  ~Veronica
                  "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                  http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

I don’t think it’s gonna happen. I imagine Florida will be shut down by the end of September and these will be cancelled anyway.
                    Talking to some people is like folding a fitted sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by JenEM View Post

I don’t have an issue with awarding points and National and Zone awards for the year. If people are out showing, I don’t see anything wrong with them getting points for it.

But holding large, national gatherings that require people and horses to fly across the country in the current environment seems unnecessarily risky to me. And yes—that goes across disciplines, I wouldn’t want to attend AECs or USDF Nationals, either, even if they were only a short haul for me personally.
                      I flounder a bit on this one. Here's why..... COVID is taking a toll on people's norms. Be it time in the saddle, compensation from employment, having employment at all and in a broader sense, the ability and comfort level to show when many of us have at risk conditions.

That said I know there are EPIC stories of overcoming adversity happening and in progress. I just don't believe that even our (Not even close to level) playing field is at all balanced this year.

If it were about showing for your own desires and with no points, no year ends, no championships and no value beyond enjoyment it would be a lot easier to allow folks to decide their own risks, financial decisions and hopefully relax as a competitive rider. And taking away year end awards might help center people as to why they show at all. And we might be able to improve the people who do show and their mindsets of gratefulness to have a life where they can show.

In the absence of this, or going back to normal times before, we see now and saw before people pushing themselves, their horses, to meet goals that may not be 100% based in good decision making.

Horse people aren't exactly known to make the best decisions if there's a ribbon and a trophy at the end of the day (Cough: Andy Kocher)

With regard to the points question... I mean... if I chose (as I have) to stay home and not show much this year because I am an 'at risk' person and the magazines print out the point winners from all the zones etc, 1) I think good for them that they have a healthier wallet and body from me, and 2) I'm a touch pissy about the thought because these folks prioritized showing in a time where it wouldn't hurt (AND COULD HELP) if we all stayed home and really tried to think about all of the country instead of all of my zone. But again, this is my opinion that I will own and I am fine if I am alone in these thoughts.

Em

"Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Original Poster

More information:

https://horsesport.com/due-south/coo...J45CW_vBDZennw

Comment

Originally posted by "A"HunterGal View Post
                          Someone on FB made the astute point that the release specifically called out the new events "meeting the requirements of the sponsors." These events are happening because people still want to make money at the larger expense of the greater good.
                          There are sponsor conflicts depending on the venues that are available for both shows to use and that's why Tampa was selected, as it is neutral ground, as far as both shows and their sponsors are concerned. That's what is meant by meeting the requirements of the sponsors. These shows are likely happening in Florida because the "Who-Is-Who" have been quarantined in the Southeast region, in places like Southern Pines and Aiken, outside of the COVID hotspot where Wellington/Palm Beach is, within driving distance of the venue or could very easily be in Florida anyway, when the shows are scheduled.
                          Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

Originally posted by LilRanger View Post

I hear you, and where I am, the fair is cancelled, but the food vendors are now selling fair food online! so you can get those turkey legs and funnel cakes delivered right to your door! Which I think is a great idea!
                            There is no way they are making their normal income on that though. How to you send BBQ, Indian food, etc through the mail and reach the customer base the fair does? Plus, so many things depend on those fairs; 4H kids who make money for upcoming college, sellers who sell products like jams, sauces, etc, the hotels nearby who rely on the major income every fall. I never used to think about these things, but I had a neighbor who made a large chunk of her income at the fair.

It is the same with horse shows. How many people are swimming with their heads barely above the water through this? How many equestrian businesses are going to close? Next year, when the only shows going on are mega box shows, will equestrians have the common sense to realize it was because their favorite mom and pop shows couldn’t make it without the help they didn’t give?

When your local U pick nursery doesn’t open next year?
                            when the locally owned restaurants close?
                            when the farmers markets have three stands instead of 30?
                            When local stores, many of whom weren’t allowed to be open for months, don’t make it?
                            When the wineries and breweries shut their doors?

I find it shameful. I see people flocking to Walmart and Home Depot, as if the virus doesn’t live there, but ignoring the local places. News flash: Walmart will survive the pandemic. Will your local tack store?

Comment

TooManyBays this is a good argument for a Universal Income or Pandemic subsidy program (such as CERB or the wage subsidy programs in Canada). This is not a good reason to hold a sports event that encourages people to travel from far away to a Covid hotspot.

The economy won't recover until people feel safe to go out, and that there ability to work is more secure (you can't work if you are sick with Covid for 60 days).

I know the local 4H cattle sales have had very high support.
                              We have drive through "Fair Food" events where you can pick up your favourite fair food from the comfort and safety of your car.
                              Farmers markets (locally) have received astounding support.

I didn't understand your comment about "mom and pop shows" though: I think most would agree that staying home and showing locally would be a much safer activity vs these national shows, so if anything they should be receiving more support shouldn't they (if National Shows were closed).
                              Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                                TooManyBays this is a good argument for a Universal Income or Pandemic subsidy program (such as CERB or the wage subsidy programs in Canada). This is not a good reason to hold a sports event that encourages people to travel from far away to a Covid hotspot.

The economy won't recover until people feel safe to go out, and that there ability to work is more secure (you can't work if you are sick with Covid for 60 days).

I know the local 4H cattle sales have had very high support.
                                We have drive through "Fair Food" events where you can pick up your favourite fair food from the comfort and safety of your car.
                                Farmers markets (locally) have received astounding support.

I didn't understand your comment about "mom and pop shows" though: I think most would agree that staying home and showing locally would be a much safer activity vs these national shows, so if anything they should be receiving more support shouldn't they (if National Shows were closed).
                                And when will they feel safe? This is going to be going on for a long, long time. I wish it wasn’t, but the USA has prolonged the virus here in numerous ways and we are still 6+ months out from a vaccine. How do homeless people socially distance and wash their hands?

I’m glad locally to you there has been some support. There hasn’t been that here. It still isn’t enough to support these businesses. If you are used to make 100k a year, and this year you make 25k, you are going to be hurting. You may lose your home, your cars, your business.
                                At least near me, local shows have not been receiving support. The last show I went to had ten competitors total. People are not showing. Now for local shows, it may not seem to be this huge effect; the show grounds don’t make money, the judge doesn’t get paid, the show secretary doesn’t get paid, the food vendor can’t sell food, the local trainers can’t make their show money, their grooms don’t get tips.
                                Local rated shows to me have been suffering too; I see people complain on Facebook that the only rated shows near us are big box shows like Tryon , HITS, or WEC but they don’t put their money where their mouth is.
                                At larger shows trickle down is a huge deal. And that’s what I see here with these shows not being held in their original locations, or being canceled. Now it’s feed suppliers, hotels, jump rental, stall rental, food vendors, farriers, local cafes, that don’t get paid. If it’s cancelled; throw in the judges, show staff, venues, prize list designers, course designers, printing shops, footing suppliers, etc.
                                That is hard on so many businesses that we don’t even think about. It has this huge trickle down effect that will really hurt the horse community long term.

I don’t think there are too many people worried about there not being any year end awards or points. I DO think there are a lot of people worried that this pandemic will ruin many businesses, families, and people who depend on the horse show world to survive.
                                Great for you if you can sit at home and wait out the virus. But the rest of us? We can’t. And we don’t know if we are going to make it through without your help.

Comment

How can it be Washington National without Hunt Night?

Seriously, hold the damn show if you must. But don't call it Penn Nat'l or Washington Nat'l, because it won't be.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyBays View Post

And when will they feel safe? This is going to be going on for a long, long time. I wish it wasn’t, but the USA has prolonged the virus here in numerous ways and we are still 6+ months out from a vaccine. How do homeless people socially distance and wash their hands?

I’m glad locally to you there has been some support. There hasn’t been that here. It still isn’t enough to support these businesses. If you are used to make 100k a year, and this year you make 25k, you are going to be hurting. You may lose your home, your cars, your business.
                                    At least near me, local shows have not been receiving support. The last show I went to had ten competitors total. People are not showing. Now for local shows, it may not seem to be this huge effect; the show grounds don’t make money, the judge doesn’t get paid, the show secretary doesn’t get paid, the food vendor can’t sell food, the local trainers can’t make their show money, their grooms don’t get tips.
                                    Local rated shows to me have been suffering too; I see people complain on Facebook that the only rated shows near us are big box shows like Tryon , HITS, or WEC but they don’t put their money where their mouth is.
                                    At larger shows trickle down is a huge deal. And that’s what I see here with these shows not being held in their original locations, or being canceled. Now it’s feed suppliers, hotels, jump rental, stall rental, food vendors, farriers, local cafes, that don’t get paid. If it’s cancelled; throw in the judges, show staff, venues, prize list designers, course designers, printing shops, footing suppliers, etc.
                                    That is hard on so many businesses that we don’t even think about. It has this huge trickle down effect that will really hurt the horse community long term.

I don’t think there are too many people worried about there not being any year end awards or points. I DO think there are a lot of people worried that this pandemic will ruin many businesses, families, and people who depend on the horse show world to survive.
                                    Great for you if you can sit at home and wait out the virus. But the rest of us? We can’t. And we don’t know if we are going to make it through without your help.
                                    There are examples both current and through history of how to handle a virus to minimize impacts on your economy. I am not aware of a single one that has been more successful by staying open and letting people get sick with a deadly and dangerous disease.

*If* we had the collective discipline to stop spreading disease for 4-8 weeks, we'd be done now. It would have helped to have accurate and plentiful testing available back in January. Or March. Or April. Plentiful supplies of 50-cent N95 masks sure would have helped too.

I get the pain you're talking about, which is why a universal pandemic income is so important - to let people pay their bills while this plays out. Every unpaid bill ripples through the economy. But we don't make it better by letting, or forcing, people to get sick. Yes, the longer it goes on, the more economic damage it does.

As you say, people aren't showing. They won't as long as they risk death or long term sickness to show. They don't want to be sick; they can't afford to lose their job by becoming sick. Many are facing economic uncertainty in their own jobs, even people who normally consider their jobs very secure, and they're conserving cash.

Holding the shows is not how you fix the very real problem. Every day with a record with a record number of new cases only makes this worse.
                                    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Originally posted by poltroon View Post

There are examples both current and through history of how to handle a virus to minimize impacts on your economy. I am not aware of a single one that has been more successful by staying open and letting people get sick with a deadly and dangerous disease.

*If* we had the collective discipline to stop spreading disease for 4-8 weeks, we'd be done now. It would have helped to have accurate and plentiful testing available back in January. Or March. Or April. Plentiful supplies of 50-cent N95 masks sure would have helped too.

I get the pain you're talking about, which is why a universal pandemic income is so important - to let people pay their bills while this plays out. Every unpaid bill ripples through the economy. But we don't make it better by letting, or forcing, people to get sick. Yes, the longer it goes on, the more economic damage it does.

As you say, people aren't showing. They won't as long as they risk death or long term sickness to show. They don't want to be sick; they can't afford to lose their job by becoming sick. Many are facing economic uncertainty in their own jobs, even people who normally consider their jobs very secure, and they're conserving cash.

Holding the shows is not how you fix the very real problem. Every day with a record with a record number of new cases only makes this worse.
                                      Well, IMO the United States (and some other places) really f—-ed up in the beginning. There were so many things that should have been done that weren’t. But now, the virus is here are like it or not the majority of us are going to get it. Our precautions now are like trying to save the titanic with a bucket; maybe doing a little, but it isn’t going to stop the ship from going under.
                                      If we had been more proactive at the beginning then maybe we could have stopped this virus. But we weren’t.

So instead of a large majority of our local businesses suffering AND we still all get the virus anyways, maybe we tell people to wear a mask, and use hand sanitizer, and social distance, but go out. Live your life. Support businesses.
                                      Anyone who says that we can stop this virus is lying. We can only slow it. But, chances are, you WILL get it.

Comment

Working...
                                      X