Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

What is this neckwear? Just watching GLEF and noted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this neckwear? Just watching GLEF and noted

I just watched one of the jumper classes from the Great Lakes Equestrian Festival. Many of the riders look like they have some kind of towel around their necks. Is this for cooling, or is it a mask, or ?? You can tell I have hot weather on my mind with my guess!

You are questioning the neck wear during a pandemic when people have to have a face covering at shows?

I do not know what to do with my hands, I want to face palm but I don’t think that’s adequate.

Comment

I think it’s a fair question..

could be gaiters, which I wear when riding. When not up around your face it looks like a towel or scarf. Easy to pop back up over your nose when you get off the horse.

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks blondewithchrome ! That must be what I am seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMoo View Post
          You are questioning the neck wear during a pandemic when people have to have a face covering at shows?

I do not know what to do with my hands, I want to face palm but I don’t think that’s adequate.
          I don't see the need to be rude. If you haven't been out much you probably aren't aware of all the mask choices.

I had both a neck cooling thing and a regular mask to attach around my ears I kept in my pocket when riding at a show last weekend. Riders are struggling with the best method, and it's something we aren't used to seeing.
          http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

I don't see the need to be rude. If you haven't been out much you probably aren't aware of all the mask choices.

I had both a neck cooling thing and a regular mask to attach around my ears I kept in my pocket when riding at a show last weekend. Riders are struggling with the best method, and it's something we aren't used to seeing.
            ???? Mask choices or not one could put two and two together no? Since when do hunter people sacrifice the “look” for neck cooling?

Comment

???? Mask choices or not one could put two and two together no? Since when do hunter people sacrifice the “look” for neck cooling?
              You are just full of piss today. It’s a requirement at many rated shows to have on a mask when not mounted so the hunter people, whom you so disdain apparently, ARE wearing them as requirement. Though one would think it would be common knowledge, not everyone 1. Knows 2. Knows gaiters exist.

You can just answer a question but have to be bitchy?
              Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Originally posted by Pennywell Bay View Post

You are just full of piss today. It’s a requirement at many rated shows to have on a mask when not mounted so the hunter people, whom you so disdain apparently, ARE wearing them as requirement. Though one would think it would be common knowledge, not everyone 1. Knows 2. Knows gaiters exist.

You can just answer a question but have to be bitchy?
                Hence my, why is this a question? Not full of piss today, more where have you been the last I dunno, four plus months. Like why is this a question? And I speak to the last part of your post.

I don’t have to be bitchy, I wasn’t intending to be bitchy. I am just amazed at the question. If I sound bitchy my apologies but there is such a thing as a stupid question despite what people say.

Comment

But the OP didn't say "hunter"; she said "jumper."
                  "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Comment

Hence my, why is this a question? Not full of piss today, more where have you been the last I dunno, four plus months. Like why is this a question? And I speak to the last part of your post.

I don’t have to be bitchy, I wasn’t intending to be bitchy. I am just amazed at the question. If I sound bitchy my apologies but there is such a thing as a stupid question despite what people say.
                    So while you are being rude to the OP and complaining about their "stupid" question you were unable read the "stupid" question correctly.

Comment

You did mean to be bitchy. If the question was so stupid, you could have just backed out of the topic with no comment. But I guess you need to feel better about yourself by trying to make someone else feel dumb, so here you are.

Comment

Originally posted by JustTheTicket View Post

You did mean to be bitchy. If the question was so stupid, you could have just backed out of the topic with no comment. But I guess you need to feel better about yourself by trying to make someone else feel dumb, so here you are.
                        No I didn’t but your right, I should have scrolled right on by. Never about feeling better... where do you all get that?

Comment

Originally posted by RHdobes563 View Post

But the OP didn't say "hunter"; she said "jumper."
                          My bad, gators in the JUMPER ring.... there is a pandemic and face coverings are a thing. Doesn’t change my raised eyebrows. But we can split hairs.

skydy my bad for conflating hunters and jumpers . My point still stands.
                          🤦‍♀️

Comment

Yes, neck gaiters! Masks are required at all times at shows except when mounted, but having to constantly put a mask on and off and not lose it throughout a day of showing can be tricky. Therefore, gaiters are so handy to have, especially when riding, as you can just pull it down when mounted and easily pull it back up as soon as you get off. If you are showing soon or just on the lookout for a nice reusable mask to have, I really recommend purchasing one! Some are even sweat wicking and made of a lighter fabric, which are super nice for riding in the heat. There are a bunch of high quality ones on https://shadyladysunprotection.com.:)

Comment

My bad, gators in the JUMPER ring.... there is a pandemic and face coverings are a thing. Doesn’t change my raised eyebrows. But we can split hairs.

skydy my bad for conflating hunters and jumpers . My point still stands.
                              🤦‍♀️
                              Still, no need to be unkind to the OP. Nobody's perfect, as you so brilliantly proved.

Comment

Originally posted by skydy View Post

Still, no need to be unkind to the OP. Nobody's perfect, as you so brilliantly proved.
                                No I’m not perfect but I’m not so sheltered that I don’t know what the hell is going on in the world.
                                Last edited by TheMoo; Jul. 11, 2020, 10:44 PM.

Comment

I am a fairly educated person, I’m working with Covid patients and data right now. I had no idea what people were talking about when they were saying “gaiters” originally- forget about seeing them. The shoes? The device- wth are gaiters ?? They looked like eternity scarfs to me.

I would have discovered eventually- I don’t live under a rock. But doing some shows, planning and being forced to brush up really enlightened me.
                                  Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Having read the question in the spirit in which I think it was intended, mainly because a few weeks ago I saw the same thing and wondered myself: a lot of jumper riders appear to be wearing the Callidae kerchief. I got a couple myself and I really like them. They are super comfortable and you can pull them up when on the ground or push them down when riding.
                                    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Comment

Yes, I think they are the “Hannah” neckerchief by Callidae. I have several of them and love them! Great for riding in (and yes, I do wear it while riding if I’m close to others as well as for sun protection).

Comment

Originally posted by Hoofbeat_Heartbeat View Post
                                        Yes, I think they are the “Hannah” neckerchief by Callidae. I have several of them and love them! Great for riding in (and yes, I do wear it while riding if I’m close to others as well as for sun protection).
                                        You can actually SEE through those. They're doing nothing to stop the transmission of COVID and the like.
                                        I'm not a show person, but are these really approved as appropriate 'masks'?

Comment

Working...
                                        X