• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Show Managers question for you re warm-ups...competitors too...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show Managers question for you re warm-ups...competitors too...

Hi all,
    I am gearing up for our fall hunter show series and wanted to know if the Blue/Red ribbon rounds were working for you as warm-ups. In the past, I have had open schooling in the early morning before the show starts (free - cross rail height) then three judged warm-up round classes ($10 per round) sprinkled in my class list at the various heights and then an open schooling break mid-day (free - 5 horses at a time for 5 mins. course at 2'3").

The warm-up classes are always heathly and bring in some good $$$ even though we have two "free schooling periods". The mid day schooling break is always frightful to watch/navigate even though we monitor it very closely and try to make it "safe".

So, from a time persective, do you find that the blue/red ribbon rounds move the day along ok? Or do you get bogged down with a million of these rounds in front of every single class? Do you charge the same as a regular class or is it a lesser fee? Do you give out the same quality ribbons as your regular classes or a cheaper version?

Competitors ...do you feel doing a blue/red ribbon round is enough time in the ring to get a feel for the course and your horse settled to the monsters in the corners, the crowd, the jumps etc? Would you be happy with blue/red ribbon rounds throughout the day and maybe say a brief hack (flat only) period mid day while we add fill to the course for the higher heights?

All thoughts and suggestions happily valued! Thanks.

Joy

I can't stand open warm-ups, they take forever (I don't do them, I scare easily) and when they call time there is ALWAYS 1 more person who needs to go in and jump every single jump 67 times...
    I'd much rather see blue/red classes and having it limited to ONE per each division, so if you're doing two divisions, you can have 2 trips, if not, just one.

Of course, I might think differently if I didn't own a saint of a horse who can go into any ring cold and pack me around

Comment

The easiest thing to do is to have a blue/red that goes with the division, back to back to back.
      You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
        The easiest thing to do is to have a blue/red that goes with the division, back to back to back.
        This is what we tend to see at the one- or two-day shows. Typically each horse gets one (per ring), but I can't remember if it's specified that it has to be before the horse's first division. This is generally in addition to the schooling circus that occurs before the day starts. Typically shows out here do not have open schooling in the middle of the day. Maybe shows in less-fortunate climates have mid-day schooling due to lack of suitable warm-up space?
        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Personally I prefer no warmup rounds at all..... out our shows at home we offer a 3'6, 3', and 2' schooling break in addition to a warmup round, and very few people enter it. (although, since our schooling break is free, I guess you lose money) If you want to school, then just come for the schooling break!

But if I was an exhibitor at your show I probably would not be happy with just a warmup round, if the show is B or C rated. BUT if this is an A or AA rated series, I would say that is sufficient (if the round is at your respective height), as if your showing at A shows your horse should be okay after showing them the jumps once or twice. and allowing them to hack while changing the jump heights is a great idea!

Comment

We offer an unjudged schooling break with 3-5 horses in the ring at a time (tend toward 3, but if a trainer has a bunch she wants to take in together, that's okay). We do not pin, and, depending on how many horses are waiting, they get 5-10 minutes per group.

Personally, as the owner/rider of a very green and tense horse, I find group warm up to be scary. Therefore, I show up at the butt-crack of dawn and school at my leisure, then repose at my trainer until it's time for my classes.
            Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

Depends on the number of entries you have. Personally I loathe warm-up classes...

for a schooling series I would offer either schooling in the am and perhaps in the afternoon (depending on the divisions) OR judged warm-up. Not both.

Its perfectly reasonable to charge for ticketed schooling or as some shows do charge a schooling /office fee on the entry blank.

Comment

I've seen local shows have warm-up classes cost MORE than regular division classes.

This way, warm-up is still available if you really want it...but high numbers of warm-up trips are inherently discouraged...yet the show still makes a good bit of money off of them.

I thought it was clever.

Comment

I prefer open schooling until the ring needs to be readied for the show to start. Need to have someone supervising for traffic control. Warmup classes take forever!

Comment

Jeez. I'm so old. What ever happened to "Just do it?" ISn' there a shred left of the "jump what's in front of you" part of hunters?

madeline
                    Who grew up to a constant stream of "No schooling over the outside course" with increasing irritation from the announcer .
                    madeline
                    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Comment

Originally posted by Madeline View Post
                      Jeez. I'm so old. What ever happened to "Just do it?" ISn' there a shred left of the "jump what's in front of you" part of hunters?

madeline
                      Who grew up to a constant stream of "No schooling over the outside course" with increasing irritation from the announcer .
                      After sitting thru never ending Blue ribbon rounds at "AA" show last year...took the bloom off the Rose.....

Comment

Originally posted by Madeline View Post

madeline
                        My thoughts exactly. As long as there is a schooling "area" to hack and a few singles to pop over, why on earth would you need a warmup round in the ring you are showing in. Seems like if you had that much issue, you need to fix it before the show.
                        ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
                        For a moment there, you bored me to death

Comment

At the locals show I go to, there is open schooling in the show arena prior to the show starting (like 6am-8am and yes it is utter chaos) as well as offering open schooling the day before (usually from noon-dark). Once the show starts there is usually a warm up class that runs all day long on an open card. You still have to do your classes in order which means you have to do your warm up round before your other trips (so you can't do one hunter trip and then decide that you really do need that warm up round). Once the show starts they do not have breaks for schooling.

Comment

Working...
                          X