Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

HITS Ordered to Stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dotneko View Post

Really? with the possible exception of the Carolinas, I cant imagine people travelling that far to show in New York.
    Most of the people who have facilities in Wellington (WEF) Florida go north for the summer. Ditto for the Ocala area, and in the past, quite a few people from Aiken and Atlanta went north as well. Everything is different this year, of course, but the South heading to Lake Placid, Vermont, Saugerties and the Hamptons is just like the North coming to Florida in the winter.
    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Originally posted by DMK View Post

Most of the people who have facilities in Wellington (WEF) Florida go north for the summer. Ditto for the Ocala area, and in the past, quite a few people from Aiken and Atlanta went north as well. Everything is different this year, of course, but the South heading to Lake Placid, Vermont, Saugerties and the Hamptons is just like the North coming to Florida in the winter.
      Plus a lot of people who winter in Florida might work their way north via a few shows in Tryon. So anyone who planned to go from Tryon in North Carolina to Saugerties to show there is in a bit of a pickle.

Everybody’s normal schedule is already turned upside down this year anyway. But the new quarantine restrictions certainly won’t help.

Comment

Y
        Originally posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post

I believe there is a $2K fine for violation

Didn't I also read that HITS would pay $1K/day in fines should they stay open? They might decide that is a worthwhile cost of doing business. The fine doesn't seem high enough given the risk to public health and the amount of money HITS takes in each day.
        The armchair saddler
        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

FYI:

https://vimeo.com/434521866

this basically says that according to Tom he has been given 100% assurance by the state that horse shows can start on the 6th and it’s also on the NYS website. So if that follows true and EVERYONE follows the rules at the show, it sounds like only this first week is affected by the cease and desist order.
          Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
          RIP Tall Tales

Comment

Originally posted by Marthamatic View Post

A somewhat stupid question, but how can the quarantine be enforced?
            The Narrator: “It can’t.”

I flew in and out of the tri-state area last week. In my experience, there was nothing being done to enforce any quarantine, despite what Cuomo said in his press briefings. If someone snitches on you, then maybe you’ll get the fine. There isn’t enough infrastructure to enforce a door-to-door quarantine check.

Everyone was wearing masks, though.

Comment

Originally posted by springgreypony View Post
              I wonder what they will do about HITS Culpeper for these next two weeks. The show seems to be running fine right now, everyone not mounted seems to be wearing masks, and I think most are trying to follow protocols. No temperature check though....
              I doubt there will be any issues. Culpeper is not in NOVA and hasn’t had high case numbers, plus pretty good sized shows have been running up here in NOVA with no issues. The last Morven show was probably larger in competitors than Culpeper is usually.

Comment

Originally posted by springgreypony View Post
                I wonder what they will do about HITS Culpeper for these next two weeks. The show seems to be running fine right now, everyone not mounted seems to be wearing masks, and I think most are trying to follow protocols. No temperature check though....
                I live not far from HITS Culpeper and when I drove by yesterday afternoon I saw tons of people without masks. One barn, the ship-in parking, and a wash stand are right next to the road and I made a point of looking. I was very disappointed to see the non-compliance, especially since Culpeper County was a COVID hotspot for Virginia a month ago and had more cases per capita than Fairfax County.

https://www.starexponent.com/news/vi...764847ed8.html
                "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu
                Semantics

Comment

Originally posted by bascher View Post
                  FYI:

https://vimeo.com/434521866

this basically says that according to Tom he has been given 100% assurance by the state that horse shows can start on the 6th and it’s also on the NYS website. So if that follows true and EVERYONE follows the rules at the show, it sounds like only this first week is affected by the cease and desist order.
                  Until King Andy shuts the NY State down again when the state's numbers spike because NYC gets tired of being in their apartments all summer. I mean, I am happy to see the numbers in the northeast staying low and actually declining. But they also had the first wave the worst and the earliest. I think that if everyone is following the rules and behaving, let the show go on

What are they doing about people paying for stalls right now? They have to pay for an extra week to hang around and wait?

Comment

Originally posted by 2bayboys View Post

I live not far from HITS Culpeper and when I drove by yesterday afternoon I saw tons of people without masks. One barn, the ship-in parking, and a wash stand are right next to the road and I made a point of looking. I was very disappointed to see the non-compliance, especially since Culpeper County was a COVID hotspot for Virginia a month ago and had more cases per capita than Fairfax County.

https://www.starexponent.com/news/vi...764847ed8.html
                    Mask wear has been very low at most shows in VA. (I’ve attended 4 since opening) The people are social distancing, I’ve seen people taking temps, but as one woman exclaimed to me after walking up a hill to get results, ‘I can’t breathe while walking up this hill in this mask!’
                    I think sometimes we forget that as much as the riders are working out, the grooms/staff/jump crew are too.
                    However, it hasn’t seemed to be much of a problem because the shows and competitors are doing a great job of social distancing.
                    Edited to add: I’m still bringing my mask and wearing it when needed, but IMO these outdoor, very open spaces at horse shows are not the most worrying places to pick up COVID compared to some of the other things I’ve seen

Comment

Originally posted by StormyDay View Post
                      I doubt there will be any issues. Culpeper is not in NOVA and hasn’t had high case numbers, plus pretty good sized shows have been running up here in NOVA with no issues. The last Morven show was probably larger in competitors than Culpeper is usually.
                      Actually from everything I understand, Culpeper is unfortunately a COVID hotspot.

Comment

Originally posted by staceymc View Post

Actually from everything I understand, Culpeper is unfortunately a COVID hotspot.
                        I wouldn’t call 811 cases a hotspot.
                        Nowhere in Virginia reached the predicted numbers, luckily. Compared to surrounding counties, their numbers are about on par with other mainly rural counties in the area.

Comment

I wouldn’t call 811 cases a hotspot.
                          Nowhere in Virginia reached the predicted numbers, luckily. Compared to surrounding counties, their numbers are about on par with other mainly rural counties in the area.
                          Culpeper's cases per 100K population is on-par or worse than the NOVA counties like Prince William, Alexandria, and Fairfax. While it might not have reached predicted numbers, it's certainly not good there.
                          https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/

Comment

Mask wear has been very low at most shows in VA. (I’ve attended 4 since opening) The people are social distancing, I’ve seen people taking temps, but as one woman exclaimed to me after walking up a hill to get results, ‘I can’t breathe while walking up this hill in this mask!’
                            I think sometimes we forget that as much as the riders are working out, the grooms/staff/jump crew are too.
                            However, it hasn’t seemed to be much of a problem because the shows and competitors are doing a great job of social distancing.
                            Edited to add: I’m still bringing my mask and wearing it when needed, but IMO these outdoor, very open spaces at horse shows are not the most worrying places to pick up COVID compared to some of the other things I’ve seen
                            So.....
                            people should just ignore the VA Governor’s mandate for wearing a mask and the USEF rules for wearing a mask because they don’t feel like it? The VA Dept of Health may feel differently about it and has the power to shut events down for non compliance.

In addition, the show is sold out. Which means there’s no way it’s in compliance with the number of people allowed at a venue. What bothers me about horse shows like this is that the vast majority of the participants involved don’t live here and they’re not confined to the show grounds. They are dining and socializing and shopping in the community, and that’s exactly the sort of thing that is not supposed to be occurring during a pandemic.

Last edited by 2bayboys; Jul. 3, 2020, 06:28 AM.
                            Semantics

Comment

So.....
                              people should just ignore the VA Governor’s mandate for wearing a mask and the USEF rules for wearing a mask because they don’t feel like it? The VA Dept of Health may feel differently about it and has the power to shut events down for non compliance.

(I tried to post the link to the Governor’s order that applies specifically to horse and livestock shows but the board won’t let me.)

In addition, the show is sold out. Which means there’ no way it’s in compliance with the number of people allowed at a venue. What bothers me about horse shows like this is that the vast majority of the participants involved don’t live here and they’re not confined to the show grounds. They are dining and socializing and shopping in the community, and that’s exactly the sort of thing that is not supposed to be occurring during a pandemic.
                              Semantics

Comment

Does anyone know if there were classes at Saugerties on Thursday? I read somewhere that the show would happen Wednesday and Thursday and then shut down for the weekend, but that information seemed to contradict most of the earlier reports.

Comment

So.....
                                  people should just ignore the VA Governor’s mandate for wearing a mask and the USEF rules for wearing a mask because they don’t feel like it?
                                  I don’t know what the Virginia governor‘s mandate says specifically about masks, but the USEF guidelines do not require a mask to be worn at all times. They call for a mask to be worn when there is a possibility to be within 6 feet of another person.

So somebody who is grazing a horse in the middle of a field, or unloading a horse in the ship in parking lot, or giving a horse a bath at a wash rack would not be required to have a mask on unless someone else is nearby.

Individual shows may apply tighter requirements as they see fit, but the USEF guidelines allow for some leeway on the use of masks.

From the USEF website:

Requirement: Face masks/face coverings must be worn whenever you have the possibility of being within six feet of another person (including members of your own household), except when mounted on a horse or seated in a horse-drawn carriage or cart. Please do your part and wear your face mask/face covering as required.
                                  • Because you cannot predict when another person may be within six feet of you, it is best to keep your face mask/face covering with you at all times while on competition grounds, including those times when you are going to an area where you may be alone or at a greater distance than six feet from another person. This will ensure that you are able to apply your face mask/face covering prior to being within six feet of another person.
                                  • Make sure you are wearing your face mask/face covering prior to entering competition areas where you are likely to be near other people, including areas such as the in-gate, arena, schooling area, restroom, food stand, show office, vendors, stabling, etc.
                                  • If you become hot while wearing your face mask/face covering, move to a location where you are alone or at a distance greater than six feet from another person (and preferably 12 feet or more), and lower or drop one side of your face mask/face covering to cool off.
                                  • If an official, competition organizer or member of the organizer’s team requires you to don a face mask/face covering, you must comply. The competition organizer can impose more stringent requirements than those contained in the Plan.

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post
                                    I don’t know what the Virginia governor‘s mandate says specifically about masks, but the USEF guidelines do not require a mask to be worn at all times. They call for a mask to be worn when there is a possibility to be within 6 feet of another person.

So somebody who is grazing a horse in the middle of a field, or unloading a horse in the ship in parking lot, or giving a horse a bath at a wash rack would not be required to have a mask on unless someone else is nearby.

Individual shows may apply tighter requirements as they see fit, but the USEF guidelines allow for some leeway on the use of masks.

From the USEF website:

Requirement: Face masks/face coverings must be worn whenever you have the possibility of being within six feet of another person (including members of your own household), except when mounted on a horse or seated in a horse-drawn carriage or cart. Please do your part and wear your face mask/face covering as required.
                                    • Because you cannot predict when another person may be within six feet of you, it is best to keep your face mask/face covering with you at all times while on competition grounds, including those times when you are going to an area where you may be alone or at a greater distance than six feet from another person. This will ensure that you are able to apply your face mask/face covering prior to being within six feet of another person.
                                    • Make sure you are wearing your face mask/face covering prior to entering competition areas where you are likely to be near other people, including areas such as the in-gate, arena, schooling area, restroom, food stand, show office, vendors, stabling, etc.
                                    • If you become hot while wearing your face mask/face covering, move to a location where you are alone or at a distance greater than six feet from another person (and preferably 12 feet or more), and lower or drop one side of your face mask/face covering to cool off.
                                    • If an official, competition organizer or member of the organizer’s team requires you to don a face mask/face covering, you must comply. The competition organizer can impose more stringent requirements than those contained in the Plan.

Looks like Virginia’s mask mandate is for public indoor areas.
                                    The hardest to learn was the least complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by kt View Post

Looks like Virginia’s mask mandate is for public indoor areas.
                                      Not so. The following is directly from the VA Governor’s office effective July 1. Since it wouldn’t let me post the link, I cut and pasted the whole document.

scope: phase 3:
                                      safer at home: phase three
                                      horse and other livestock shows
                                      Indoor and outdoor horse and other livestock shows.
                                      Horse and other livestock shows must either implement the following mandatory requirements or they must not take place.
                                      Mandatory Requirements:
                                      Participants and organizers of horse and other livestock show activities must strictly adhere to the physical distancing guidelines, enhanced cleaning and disinfection practices, and enhanced workplace safety practices provided in the “Guidelines for All Business Sectors” document.
                                      Participants and organizers of horse and other livestock shows must adhere to the following additional requirements for such activities:
                                       Post signage at the entrance that states that no one with a fever or symptoms of COVID- 19, or known exposure to a COVID-19 case in the prior 14 days, is permitted in the establishment.
                                       Post signage to provide public health reminders regarding physical distancing, gatherings, options for high risk individuals, and staying home if sick (samples at bottom of this document).
                                       Create a guest flow plan of modified queue lines to and within the facility. Determine areas likely to become bottlenecks or pinch points and adjust guest flow accordingly.
                                       Install visible markers for queue lines that separate people by six feet of physical distance. Sample markers are available in the VDH Business Toolkit.
                                       Create and display physical distancing communication tools, including static signs, kiosks, audio announcements, or video announcements. Signage should include the requirement to wear face coverings at all times and to maintain six feet of physical distance between people who do not reside in the same household. Sample signage is available in the VDH Business Toolkit.
                                       Reconfigure seating areas to allow six feet of physical distance between individuals by eliminating and closing select tables or seating areas, or by spreading them out to allow for adequate spacing.

 Ensure facility exits are configured to reduce the occurrence of bottlenecks and large gatherings. The total number of attendees (including both participants and spectators) of livestock and horse shows cannot exceed the lesser of 50% of the occupancy load of the venue, if applicable, or 250 persons. For shows held in a barn, stable, or ring, attendees are limited to 250 persons per structure or assigned area.
                                       Ensure anyone who has symptoms of, has tested positive for, or has been exposed to COVID-19 follows appropriate guidelines for quarantine or isolation. Persons with symptoms should stay home until CDC criteria for ending isolation have been met. Persons with severe symptoms may need to be evaluated by a healthcare provider. Establish procedures for safely transporting anyone who is sick to their home or to a healthcare facility. If you are calling an ambulance or bringing someone to the hospital, try to call first to alert them that the person may have COVID-19.
                                       Conduct daily screening of trainers, officials, staff, participants, and other attendees for COVID-19 symptoms prior to admission to the venue/facility. Children should be screened per the CDC guidance for screening children. Adults should be asked if they are currently experiencing fever (100.4°F or higher) or a sense of having a fever, a new cough that cannot be attributed to another health condition, new shortness of breath that cannot be attributed to another health condition, new chills that cannot be attributed to another health condition, a new sore throat that cannot be attributed to another health condition, or new muscle aches that cannot be attributed to another health condition or specific activity (such as physical exercise). Anyone experiencing symptoms should not be permitted on show grounds. Screenings should be conducted in accordance with applicable privacy and confidentiality laws and regulations.
                                       All shared items must be disinfected between each use to the extent practicable.
                                       Employees should wear face coverings in customer-facing areas that cover their nose and
                                      mouth using CDC Use of Cloth Face Coverings guidance.
                                       Require all people inside the show grounds, unless mounted on a horse, to wear a face covering.
                                       Provide hand washing or sanitizing stations at the reception area and throughout the entire facility for employee and attendee use.
                                       Best Practices: In addition to the requirements provided above, management must utilize the following best practices to the extent they are feasible:
                                       Utilize online entries and payment by credit card.
                                       Designate one representative to handle the entire barn or stable’s interface with the show and event offices.

 Adhere to physical distancing guidelines and utilize face coverings when in the show office.
                                       Install sneeze guards in front of commonly used point-of-sale or guest service stations.
                                       Clean and disinfect all tack, equipment, and surfaces that others may come in contact with or handle frequently. This includes golf carts, tack trunks, reins, halters, lead ropes, and other common show items.
                                       Maintain at least six feet of physical distance in the show ring.
                                       Encourage competitors, trainers, riders, grooms, owners, competition staff, and parents
                                      to leave as expeditiously as possible after their competition.
                                       Limit those on the show grounds to competitors, trainers, riders, grooms, owners, competition staff, and parents or other adults attending as a minor’s guardian. No spectators, extended family, or friends should be allowed on competition grounds.
                                       Include current COVID-19 guidelines in the show’s protocols and entry procedures.
                                       Require attendees to keep dogs under control and confined or leashed at all times. Dogs can potentially come in contact with multiple people if loose on competition grounds. They must be confined and/or leashed.
                                       Require all current entry agreements and addendums that cover COVID-19 to be signed prior to entry to the grounds.
                                      Semantics

Comment

Is everyone at HITS NY just hanging around in the barns and the town waiting for the show to start? If so, can't believe shutting it down will do much to prevent the spread of Covid

Comment

So.....

(I tried to post the link to the Governor’s order that applies specifically to horse and livestock shows but the board won’t let me.)

In addition, the show is sold out. Which means there’ no way it’s in compliance with the number of people allowed at a venue. What bothers me about horse shows like this is that the vast majority of the participants involved don’t live here and they’re not confined to the show grounds. They are dining and socializing and shopping in the community, and that’s exactly the sort of thing that is not supposed to be occurring during a pandemic.
                                          I think you are reading into my words what you want to see. I never said: no one should wear masks! Defy everyone!
                                          At the shows I have been to they have been trying really hard to keep everyone safe. Social distancing has been great. Problem is, when you are a groom and the rider needs that martingale/spurs/etc they forgot NOW, and you need to run to the trailer and back, that’s really, really hard to do in a mask. And when you need to go pick up class results and must walk up a big hill, and your not 15 anymore, that’s hard to do in a mask. I don’t agree with the governor’s new laws about masks outdoors at shows. Will I follow them? Yes. But I think that anyone who has been ringside in 90 degree weather knows that being the groom/trainer/etc is just as much of a workout as the person on the horse, and maybe our governor doesn’t understand that.

Comment

Working...
                                          X