Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Grain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain

I bought a 3 coming 4 year old warmblood earlier this year. The horse got broke out in late January. When I got him in March he was wonderful. Happy to go forward and super quiet. Things that were new he liked to touch and didn’t have any big spooks. He came to me on 4 plus pounds of tribute grain each feeding, fed 2x daily (I think kalm n EZ or Kalm Ultra? Can’t remember). I put him on 3 lbs of purina equine senior because that’s what my barn feeds and I am not allowed to feed differently. Was great the first 2-3 months. Now he is getting spookier as time goes on. Definitely less brave than when he came. Doesn’t really do anything horrible other than a shoulder drop and scoot, but seems to be doing it more often. He is getting more turn out and now is on 1.5 pounds am and pm because he got really fat really quickly and has been on this amount for the last month. There are days he is super quiet, some not so much. I do know this is typical young horse behavior, but I am questioning if the grain could be contributing to the increased spookiness. Something in my gut is telling me I am missing something nutrition wise. All physical things have been ruled out.

Has anyone had any issues with purina making a horse spooky and weird? My other mare has been triple crown for ages and I think she can be a little more hot on purina. I find whole corn kernels in the grain which I don’t like. I have the opportunity to change grains when I move my horses, so I’ll be putting my mare back on TC senior and thinking of putting him on it too. Any better grain that might be better suited for him?

I am thinking I will get a nutritionist out when we move and get a specialized feeding plan for both. Has anyone ever used one? What were your experiences and what should I expect?

**updated post to focus more on grain/feeding options since I have the opportunity to switch when horses get moved **
    Last edited by ThoroughbredLuver; Jun. 26, 2020, 09:50 PM.

Purina Senior has about 19% NCS (sugar), whereas TC Senior has only about 12%. That's a pretty big difference! I far prefer TC Senior over Purina Senior.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

Bad choice for a young, still growing youngster! I have my 3 year old warmblood on Purina Ultium Competition. She was on the Growth Ultium until a few months ago. Senior is designed for older horses NOT growing young horses! What you are describing are simply young horse things. They like to look at things and anything different is scary to many. They can be extremely lazy and then get very forward. It's a part of their growing up and learning! You should be working with a person who has experience with bringing along a young horse and giving you tips on establishing trust and confidence in this youngster for you as well as respect. You can also work on some desensitization with tarps and the like -- each thing presented slowly with great patience and praise. Don't force! You can build that trust as they accept new things - like walking over a piece of plywood, you can use pool noodles for them to step over or put on the sides of their stall door so they have to walk past with them touching -- but they need to SEE them and deal with them in a non-threatening way at first. I like Purina alot and have worked with their local rep/nutritionist and the vet/nutritionist at their Missouri facility. They are very helpful and informative. I've raised alot of babies on their feed and had many live to well over 30 on their Senior. You just need to use what is correct for this age horse. Good luck!

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by TKR View Post
        Bad choice for a young, still growing youngster! I have my 3 year old warmblood on Purina Ultium Competition. She was on the Growth Ultium until a few months ago. Senior is designed for older horses NOT growing young horses! What you are describing are simply young horse things. They like to look at things and anything different is scary to many. They can be extremely lazy and then get very forward. It's a part of their growing up and learning! You should be working with a person who has experience with bringing along a young horse and giving you tips on establishing trust and confidence in this youngster for you as well as respect. You can also work on some desensitization with tarps and the like -- each thing presented slowly with great patience and praise. Don't force! You can build that trust as they accept new things - like walking over a piece of plywood, you can use pool noodles for them to step over or put on the sides of their stall door so they have to walk past with them touching -- but they need to SEE them and deal with them in a non-threatening way at first. I like Purina alot and have worked with their local rep/nutritionist and the vet/nutritionist at their Missouri facility. They are very helpful and informative. I've raised alot of babies on their feed and had many live to well over 30 on their Senior. You just need to use what is correct for this age horse. Good luck!
        I have experience with many youngsters, but I’ve never had one quite as quirky like him. He’s actually very brave about things touching him and what not. He was started and brought up very very correctly from the breeder. I am already doing some of the things you mentioned, I can throw about anything at him and he doesn’t care, I actually do it frequently with saddle pads and other things I can rub on him. The issue lies when I’m riding. He used to be very quiet and the spooky and peakiness has only become an issue when riding recently. It’s not really an issue because you’re right he is young and just needs to get more confident, more so I think it’s odd it has gotten worse and I want to make him the best he can be.

On the other hand my barn only feeds two purina grains and this was the better of the two. Also my vet said he was fine being on it and has been helping me get him on a good balance. Mine will be getting switched off purina regardless so I will find something more suitable for his age, I personally don’t like the feed, but was curious if anyone has had any experience making their horses spooky or hot. I think it’s making both my horses just kind of over all weird. Im glad you had a great experience feeding purina though!

Thanks for the tips!
        Last edited by ThoroughbredLuver; Jun. 26, 2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Why don’t you simply putting him on what he was eating when you got him? That way you can rule out grain as a potential issue.

He’s pretty green if he’s only been under saddle for 6 months. He’s going to go through a lot of stages. Seems kinda early to be looking for a magic supplement.

Why is he on magnesium? I’ve seem horses get nutty on mag; it’s to be used if they have a deficiency. Have you tested him for a deficiency?

Comment

JB and op you’d get better responses in the health care forum.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by TheMoo View Post
              JB and op you’d get better responses in the health care forum.
              Honestly, not sure why I put it in here. I think my brain left for the weekend faster than the rest of me

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by punchy View Post
                Why don’t you simply putting him on what he was eating when you got him? That way you can rule out grain as a potential issue.

He’s pretty green if he’s only been under saddle for 6 months. He’s going to go through a lot of stages. Seems kinda early to be looking for a magic supplement.

Why is he on magnesium? I’ve seem horses get nutty on mag; it’s to be used if they have a deficiency. Have you tested him for a deficiency?

Unfortunately my current barn won’t feed anything but purina and the two grains they offer. I originally wanted to put him back on it, but that’s just not an option right now. When I leave I will change grains, but I will most likely find something suitable for him in the Triple Crown line. I really like the line of feeds and my mare is going to be changing back to the TC senior feed.

I agree, he is very young and very green and a lot of this is just baby stuff and will get better with maturing. I should clarify I really am not looking for a supplement at this time, but just curious if other people resorted to supplements. I know a lot of people used depo for this. I wouldn’t personally use it, but this is truly just a curious question.

Interesting you’ve seen some horses get nutty on mag. Yes, he was showing symptoms of magnesium deficiency so we just tried it.

Comment

Original Poster

**I should clarify, I know this is typical green horse behavior, but I just have this gut feeling I am missing something with this horse. He is so nice and I just want to make sure I am doing him justice and setting him up for success. It just bothers me that he wasn’t like this when he came. Beginning to wonder if maybe I’m creating a problem that really isn’t there and I should just ignore my thoughts and keep moving forward. He really is a wonderful horse and aside from the occasionally weird spookiness he is every bit of perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoroughbredLuver View Post
                    **I should clarify, I know this is typical green horse behavior, but I just have this gut feeling I am missing something with this horse. He is so nice and I just want to make sure I am doing him justice and setting him up for success. It just bothers me that he wasn’t like this when he came. Beginning to wonder if maybe I’m creating a problem that really isn’t there and I should just ignore my thoughts and keep moving forward. He really is a wonderful horse and aside from the occasionally weird spookiness he is every bit of perfect.
                    Could be something you changed, but also the stage between 3 and 4 comes with personality changes. 3 year olds are babies, they listen to you, albeit with short attention spans. 4 year olds are teenagers. They ask why and look for ways to get out of listening to you.

Comment

Yeah, four year olds can be over-confident jerks, which comes as a shock after the sweet, curious, biddable threes!

On the other hand, that is a lot of sugar to be feeding him. I had my extremely growthy, over-sized Dutch WB on TC Senior from the time he was 2 until he got to 5 and that suited him very well. I would switch him to something else as soon as you can and see if it makes the difference.
                      You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by foursocks View Post
                        Yeah, four year olds can be over-confident jerks, which comes as a shock after the sweet, curious, biddable threes!

On the other hand, that is a lot of sugar to be feeding him. I had my extremely growthy, over-sized Dutch WB on TC Senior from the time he was 2 until he got to 5 and that suited him very well. I would switch him to something else as soon as you can and see if it makes the difference.
                        Thank you! Once I get more of a time line on when I’m moving and can let the BO know, I am going to switch grains. Hoping to change at least a month or two before making the move so a) there’s less changes all at once and b) I can get a true representation on if the grain works.

I really dislike the grain he is on. I am going to do TC senior. I’ve heard it’s similar to the growth formula and can be used for all stages of life. Lower NSCs and overall better/higher nutrients. Hoping this grain change can all start here soon.

Comment

Original Poster

I expressed my issues with the grain and BO offered to buy purina wellsolve because another boarder needed it. I’ve never fed a “non grain” grain. Do you guys think is a worse option? NSCs are a lot lower.

Also since my horses are going to be moved out of state by the end of the year, I will be switching to TC Senior before the move and keeping them on it at the new place. I think that might be too many grain changes and I don’t know enough about wellsolve to make a jump. I am considering leaving him on his current grain and cutting back another 1/2 pound for the time being since it’s not going to be too much longer. He is out on grass a lot longer and I don’t want to see him gain anymore weight. He came to me as sort of a hard keeper and is now so easy.

I do want to note: I am planning to get a nutritionist out once they are moved to analyze feeding program based on needs and what I can provide them in the new area.

Comment

Purina Strategy makes my gelding lose his freaking mind. I'm not kidding. I had him on Ultium for a bit and he was fine, but Strategy was like he was on drugs or something. I swear he saw dead people. I'm not sure how Senior compares with Strategy, but I have heard of other horses having issues with Strategy as well.

Make sure that TC is available where you will be moving since it is not available in all markets.
                            Rhode Islands are red;
                            North Hollands are blue.
                            Sorry my thoroughbreds
                            Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

I believe that the minimum recommended feeding amount for Purina Sr is something like 7 lbs per day for a 1000-lb horse, isn’t it? So if you can only feed a couple of pounds of Sr a day for calorie reasons, you’re not feeding the recommended amount of vitamins and minerals. A ration balancer is usually recommended for this sort of situation.

That may or may not be the/a reason for the behavioral issues you’re experiencing, but it would be better in general to feed according to the product specs. Perhaps that would be helpful in making your request to the current BO.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by RacetrackReject View Post
                                Purina Strategy makes my gelding lose his freaking mind. I'm not kidding. I had him on Ultium for a bit and he was fine, but Strategy was like he was on drugs or something. I swear he saw dead people. I'm not sure how Senior compares with Strategy, but I have heard of other horses having issues with Strategy as well.

Make sure that TC is available where you will be moving since it is not available in all markets.
                                That is the only other grain they offer at the barn and I knew to stay *FAR* away from this grain. Seen many in the barn get very lit off this grain. Figured it was the less of two evils to feed of the two options.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Redlei44 View Post
                                  I believe that the minimum recommended feeding amount for Purina Sr is something like 7 lbs per day for a 1000-lb horse, isn’t it? So if you can only feed a couple of pounds of Sr a day for calorie reasons, you’re not feeding the recommended amount of vitamins and minerals. A ration balancer is usually recommended for this sort of situation.

That may or may not be the/a reason for the behavioral issues you’re experiencing, but it would be better in general to feed according to the product specs. Perhaps that would be helpful in making your request to the current BO.
                                  Super valid point!! This is where I figured a good nutritionist would come into play. I’ve always owned good keepers so I don’t know a whole lot about ration balancers. My vet told me to keep protein around 12% since my gelding isn’t doing enough for a higher protein need. I notice a lot of ration balancer are high protein so I kind of thought to stay away from them. Maybe I’ll discuss with vet for a better feeding program with him knowing they will be moving to Florida by the end of the year. With having grass a good portion of the year, a ration balancer is probably the way to go. With the way he is right now, I don’t foresee him needing more than 3-4 pounds total a day.

My mare on the other hand pretty much sticks around 3 lbs 2x a day regardless of whether she is on grass or hay changes.

Thanks for your input...gives me something else to think about. I’m always quick to supplement because I’ve never had options to feed my own grain so I’d rather avoid this by feeding a better balanced diet to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoroughbredLuver View Post

That is the only other grain they offer at the barn and I knew to stay *FAR* away from this grain. Seen many in the barn get very lit off this grain. Figured it was the less of two evils to feed of the two options.
                                    Out of curiosity, is it regular white bag Strategy? There's another option called Strategy Healthy Edge that is lower in sugar. My thoroughbred has been on it for years and he does great. Back in the olden days the barn I was at used regular Strategy for hard keepers and it sent a lot of them through the roof. I wouldn't feed it unless I was trying to light a fire under a horse!
                                    The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

I assume you're in the US - does your Purina Senior down there have Athlete in it? Ours in Canada does, and my horse goes wacko on Athlete, so that's another possibility. He saw dead people too! (Also, this was the "new and improved" reformulated Athlete that is supposed to be lower NSC and not make horses go wacko, but...we tried it twice, and both times within two days he was nuts. Took him off and within about 4 days he was back to normal).
                                      I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Duckz View Post

Out of curiosity, is it regular white bag Strategy? There's another option called Strategy Healthy Edge that is lower in sugar. My thoroughbred has been on it for years and he does great. Back in the olden days the barn I was at used regular Strategy for hard keepers and it sent a lot of them through the roof. I wouldn't feed it unless I was trying to light a fire under a horse!
                                        I‘ll be honest I haven’t seen the bag in quite some time, but it is strategy my barn feeds. I think one of things that really bothers me is the difficulty finding out the ingredients in purina’s grain. I had to search high and low for the ingredients in purina senior and had no problem with TC senior or just about any other grain. I am very curious what is in strategy that so many people have issues with.

Comment

Working...
                                        X