Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

We're Back!

We experienced a cyber attack that wiped out the site's content earlier this week via a software vulnerability, but the developers were able to restore everything from backups.

We updated our software to implement available patches and will be making further cosmetic changes to the site to restore it. Performance is slow right now, but by early next week, the developers will have restored a few optimization strategies they usually have in place to keep things percolating smoothly.

Going forward, we will make some changes to the site to limit the number of customizations we implement to the software, so that it is easier to keep current on updates and patches if they are released.

The developers do not believe that this was a "personal" attack, where someone is targeting the Chronicle's site with malicious intent against us specifically. These cyber jerks apparently just cruise the Internet, scanning for known vulnerabilities to attack.

They are confident passwords were not accessed, but even if they were, we store password encrypted, so that should not be an issue. Of course, if anyone has concerns about password security, changing related passwords is always an option for peace of mind.

Please report any glitches in a thread we'll be starting in the Help forum.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Green With Envy. I just can't help it. Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first thing I noticed is that you're having trouble identifying the reason behind doing the exercises with your horse. It sounds like you're passionate about riding, and able and willing to work with a horse that requires more work and more finesse, and so the purpose of doing exercises in your lessons is going to be to learn critical thinking skills, how to evaluate whether your horse is progressing, whether he got what he was supposed to get out of the specific exercise, and when to push and do it again. It sounds like your friend is doing these exercises with her horse for literal exercise, to keep the horse fit, and to practice a few times before a show. It really sounds like you have different goals, you're interested in learning how and why you do something, and she is interested in winning at a sport. Doesn't make her a bad person, but you aren't going to get anywhere by comparing what you do to what she does and holding her up as the standard that you need to meet. Developing your own standards and holding yourself to them is a skill, and is worth it if you want to break out of her shadow and work towards your own progress.

Secondly, the real question you're asking is HOW to do that. There is a great book by Russ Harris called The Happiness Trap where he gives some great tools about how to determine your values, and how to approach thoughts and behaviors in a proactive way. He teaches something called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, and has workbooks for sale that you can work through without having a therapist. There is an online mp3 from HealthJourneys by a woman named Belleruth Naperstak called "Self Esteem" that's a guided imagery CD that I've found really helpful to listen to at night. A woman named Jane Pike has an online program called JoyRide that's for developing mental confidence and courage and focus for equine sports performance. I hope that helps you get started, I think it's very very helpful that you're willing and able to notice and name these feelings, otherwise it's really hard to find a solution or a way to work with something you don't know you're having. I do agree with a previous poster though, posting a friend's pictures for critique online is crossing a major boundary.
    Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Comment

If this is real, you've put a lot of identifying information (including pictures!) of your friend who you are trash talking up and down on this thread. How would you feel if she found your posts?

As many posters have echoed, someone will ALWAYS have more things, better things, an easier life. It's just how the world works. If you don't actually consider this girl a friend, distance yourself from her. There's no rules that say you have to hang around people who you don't enjoy spending time with.
      My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
      http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieCampy View Post
        I know, at 17 I'm lucky to have Unya but I can't help want what I don't have and envy it.
        Anytime you feel the heat of jealousy rise up in you, think about all of the little (and big!) girls around the world who are GREEN with ENVY at YOU for having a horse at all. Think of how hard so many people work in this world, how they dream and pray, but never even sit on a horse, much less own one, much less show, and win.

You have so much more than 80% of the population on this earth. You have it all.

Put on your big-girl breeches and stop degrading your horse and yourself.

Humble yourself with knowing you are so much more fortunate that most in this world. Be proud of your horse and your accomplishments.

Edited from a website:
        “Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy. For the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistible urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex. Yippee.”
        -J.R. Ward

"Truth be told, sometimes we have to let go of what’s killing us, even if it’s killing us to let go. And jealousy is one of these things we must let go, no matter how hard it is.

Because jealousy is a disease; love is a healthy condition. Excessive jealousy only says how much you dislike yourself. "

https://www.marcandangel.com/2014/10...eart/#more-703
        Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread... You guys have opened my eyes a lot. I know what I have to do know and the first thing would definitely be an attitude check, or more like an appointment with a therapist. I know my envy has gotten the best of me and, though I love Unya and appreciate everything he does for me and, even when he struggles or gets scared about something, he now has begun to understand that he can lean on me, my enjoyment of this sport has begun to get clouded by the bad feelings. I have saved up a few of the links and books some of you have sent/posted on here so I can give them a read later on and thank you all for your advice.

Sometimes my feelings overwhelm me and I do things i definitely regret, like posting the pictures above, and of course I still feel envy and I still wish my horse were easier, but at the same time I'm grateful for the bond I have with him because he is a bit difficult, he's taught me horsemanship and has taught me when to understand my own limitations and accept help from my trainer.

So my plan will be to get a therapist (once I have the money), no more social media for a while until I can get my feelings sorted out, no more hanging out with my friend (who actually called me a bad rider today after Unya had a freak out moment, not his fault I thought the puddle or however you call it jump was simple and he panicked) because she is toxic and it only makes me even more toxic, I will also try to think more positive and maybe take a day off of riding during the week just to play liberty with Unya, no riding included... I don't know if that sounds like a good plan?

Comment

Best way to stop feeling so envious is to concentrate on what good points your horse has rather than comparing your horse to hers. In addition, can you ride at a different time so you are not in the same lesson? Not riding in the same lesson will help distance you so you can hopefully stop comparing yourself to another.

Comment

AnnieCampy

I know you will be avoiding social media, and that is fine.

Any time you want to communicate with another horsewoman feel free to send me a private message.

You are facing up to your problem, you asked for help, and now you are going to move ahead and get the help. You are doing well and a lot better than a lot of adults.

And you know something? It sounds to me like the other girl is really jealous of you and what you have accomplished, and I suspect that is why she is trying to tear you down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Cochran View Post
                AnnieCampy

I know you will be avoiding social media, and that is fine.

Any time you want to communicate with another horsewoman feel free to send me a private message.

You are facing up to your problem, you asked for help, and now you are going to move ahead and get the help. You are doing well and a lot better than a lot of adults.
                Thank you, I saw your post earlier and your words really got through to me and made me a bit calmer. I just want to be good at this sport, want horses to trust me and I want to make my trainer proud of me, but I have to realize that the first thing I need to so is be proud of myself and my own work

Comment

No you are not a bad person, you are human and your emotions are valid. Being envious has no age limit, I’m 29 and still experience jealousy. I think “god if I had what these kids have maybe I could be doing prelim at 13 years old.” But I didn’t buy my first horse until I was 19 years old and I only had the money because I was in the military. I had been riding for 11 years by then and had been limited because I didn’t have my own horse. I feel behind for my age group. My trainer is about my age or just a little older. You don’t magically stop being envious at a certain age, you just get envious about different things. I’m sure my peers are envious about certain things that I have that they don’t. Like I have my own boarding facility, arena, truck and trailer, an upper level prospect as my horse.

Really what changes is our ability to utilize our envy. We can use it to work harder or we can let it eat us alive and become resentful. The wins that you get on your horse that you’ve started and brought along yourself are much sweeter than wins you get on a made horse. And that’s not to speak negatively to anyone that has the privilege of having made horses. I hope that later in my life I will have the financial means to purchase and bring along a purpose bred horse.

Don’t alienate your friend with the better horse, you may end up with it someday as a hand me down. I’ve seen it happen on more than one occasion! Don’t burn your bridges in the horse industry. Encourage your friend, even fake it til you make it, until one day you truly feel happy for your friend. Then you know you’ve made it.

Comment

Move barns. As far away as possible. Don't show at the same shows as your friend. Keep your contact with your friend cordial but brief and infrequent, and don't talk about horses.

Get as much distance as you can from the things your are finding it difficult not to obsess over. Some of your feelings may be somewhat biological. The tendency to over-obsess, to have trouble breaking focus, can actually be part of a genetically-based personality type.

Regardless of the inner cause, we tend to covet that which we constantly see. Expecting to break away by will power alone is not realistic if this pattern has existed for some time. It's a bit like trying to stick to a strict diet while working in a chocolate factory.

If you find that without your friend and her horse(s) in your life, you are focusing, obsessing and jealous of another friend, another horse, then it would be a good idea to get professional help to get to the bottom of these feelings. There is help available to assist you with keeping the joy in your life with your horse.

By the way, if your friend told her inner truth, it might be that she is jealous of your riding skills. Perhaps she would say 'I wish I could ride as well as she does. I have to keep buying one expensive easy horse after another to have a prayer of keeping up with her. She rides her Unya so effectively, and I know I couldn't hope to ride Unya as well.'.

Comment

IDK and I stand to be corrected, but in post #1 Unya is a mexican TB gelding, but post #47 OP is 'saving to have him castrated'? I guess I'm probing softly as I am trying to look at the issues from a younger person's point of view (I did wonder about the OP early on but on reading through was persuaded to give the girl a break). Not saying I haven't missed something.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
                        IDK and I stand to be corrected, but in post #1 Unya is a mexican TB gelding, but post #47 OP is 'saving to have him castrated'? I guess I'm probing softly as I am trying to look at the issues from a younger person's point of view (I did wonder about the OP early on but on reading through was persuaded to give the girl a break). Not saying I haven't missed something.
                        Yeah, I thought gelding meant male horse and when I read through some other threads I realized my mistake... sorry, always thought gelding just meant that the horse was male since i always saw gelding on the forum and mare was female, while stallion was wild horse. I had to look up what castated horses were called and I found out it was gelding so sorry for my mistake.

Unya is a TB Stallion (which I have now found it is 'entero' in Spanish) while my friend has a mare. my trainer has started to insist more on castration to see if that way he'll stop with s much personality but i have to save up

Comment

Originally posted by Equestrianette View Post
                          No you are not a bad person, you are human and your emotions are valid. Being envious has no age limit, I’m 29 and still experience jealousy. I think “god if I had what these kids have maybe I could be doing prelim at 13 years old.” But I didn’t buy my first horse until I was 19 years old and I only had the money because I was in the military. I had been riding for 11 years by then and had been limited because I didn’t have my own horse. I feel behind for my age group. My trainer is about my age or just a little older. You don’t magically stop being envious at a certain age, you just get envious about different things. I’m sure my peers are envious about certain things that I have that they don’t. Like I have my own boarding facility, arena, truck and trailer, an upper level prospect as my horse.

Really what changes is our ability to utilize our envy. We can use it to work harder or we can let it eat us alive and become resentful. The wins that you get on your horse that you’ve started and brought along yourself are much sweeter than wins you get on a made horse. And that’s not to speak negatively to anyone that has the privilege of having made horses. I hope that later in my life I will have the financial means to purchase and bring along a purpose bred horse.

Don’t alienate your friend with the better horse, you may end up with it someday as a hand me down. I’ve seen it happen on more than one occasion! Don’t burn your bridges in the horse industry. Encourage your friend, even fake it til you make it, until one day you truly feel happy for your friend. Then you know you’ve made it.
                          Thank you, I'll try to consider it. i have never seen that people hand down horses... well you learn something every day.

Comment

I know I'm about to get a ton of backlash from this post, especially considering this is my first post on the forum, but I have to get it off my chest after crying for half an hour.

I am completely envious and pissed at one of my friends who rides with the same trainer as me.

My horse, Unya, is a very talented Mexican TB gelding. He isn't the easiest to ride but he isn't an 'out of hell' horse. He just requires someone to actually ride him, in other words a normal horse. He will refuse and he will stop if not ridden with determination and oomph, but he is an amazing jumper and I love him. We win every time we get into the ring but God is it a struggle. Please no comments on my horse, budget is tight and, honestly, I can't get a more expensive horse so I'm working my best with what I've got and I'm somehow making it work.
                            My friends horse, on the other hand, is an imported, 2.5 million peso, KWPN mare who was doing the triple bar challenge in Holland (Or somewhere in Europe) before coming here. She literally was jumping 2m with ease with another rider and that mare was winning no matter what. This mare doesn't refuse, forgives ANY DISTANCE, does literally all the job herself while my friend sits there doing NOTHING, her legs not even tight (moving all around), her hand never giving her horse release and her seat all bouncy. If I did that with my horse, I'd have a face full of sand or an unfinished course or worse a very pissed horse trying to buck me off.

And yet, even though I work my ass off every day, stay extra hours with my trainer to watch others and learn more from others riding, ride whatever horse my trainer gives me (some that have literally tried to flip over on me) to get more experience and get better at riding, my friend still does better than me when we have our lesson together. The exercises? She does them right the first time or by the second time while I usually struggle with Unya being a brat if he got confused by the exercise or simply doesn't feel like doing it that day(of course I stay patient with him until he understands it because I know he isn't as experienced and needs a bit of teaching from my part) while watching my friend not even have to tell her mare what to do while the mare figures it out all by herself. Prizes and competitions? I win every time I get into the ring, give me a horse and I'll win at least third place, and yet I look like a monkey riding while my friend looks all pretty while the mare does all the work. She literally doesn't win higher than 6th place in a 10 horse competition while I won first in a 50 national competition this year, and yet she gets praised more by my trainer and gets to jump higher than me. In our team, I am the one with the most prizes, championships, and ribbons, yet I get stuck jumping 1m this year while my coach wants to enter my friend in the Longines Global youth championship at 1.25. I mean, really? I know it sounds like an envious and jealous person, and I'm here admitting that I am but can you blame me? I've fallen, cried, and struggled to get the horse I have (convincing my parents who HATE horses) and struggled to get him to the level he has achieved while my friend sits on her expensive mare looking pretty and just cries when she wants a new horse.

I ride two horses that my trainer is selling, they are both amazing animals, one is super easy the other is a bit lazy but my trainer and I have worked our butts off to make them the way they are, automatic rides. The super-easy horse, Churro, jumps whatever you put in front of him no matter what. While I was working him I gave him a 1.30 course with ease! I would die to buy either churro or Pistol (the lazy one, my favorite) but I know I'll never be able to, and yet my friend got on Churro one time and now her parents are buying him, claiming she rides him better than me and that he's a hard horse that will force her to try harder. PLEASE! That horse I could ride with one hand behind my back.

My friend is also taking a trip to Europe with her parents and my coach this year to get yet ANOTHER HORSE. I feel like the universe is testing me with my friend, and honestly it broke me today. I just can't stand it and I would die just to have half of what she has, and it pisses me off that she takes it for granted. She doesn't try, she doesn't take training seriously, and it frustrates the HELL out of me when she gives up or just lets the mare do it on her own because she's 'tired'. If I had that mare I would already be jumping the classical (1.40-1.50).

And I know many will say 'oh, but maybe she rides better than you', please. She got on Unya once, ONCE, and started to complain because he was 'too difficult to control' and 'too hard to handle'. I was on her mare, she was on Unya, and we were jumping at the same time, the same obstacle. The jumps got up to 1.10 and I was jumping the mare with ease while my friend couldn't get unya to even look at the jump. They had to take it back down to 1m to get him to jump with her terrible seat and legs. I mean, I've jumped unya up to 1.20 (not a whole course but 2 or 3 obstacles) and yet she couldn't get him over a 1.10 pole while I jumped her mare, that being the first time I rode her, up to 1.30. My friend is terrified of riding Unya, so yeah, she doesn't ride better than me.

I just can't help the envy I feel watching her or hearing about her rides. I hate having her parents come over and showing her off and me having to hold my tongue to not say that their daughter rides terrible. I want her parents to not compare her to me or try to get her to give ME tips. I mean, her parents and her want to CORRECT ME?! Really? I hate that people compliment her while I have people attacking me and criticizing my every move while I'm the one who wins more than her, just because my riding isn't pretty but instead efficient. I just don't know what to do with the envy that is choking me constantly and I just struggle with understanding that Unya is what I have to work with and I have to make it work. Once I sell him my plan is to get a better horse but first I have to make him automatic which is a long way away. I'm young, so maybe I have more maturing to do, but I just can't bear the envy anymore. I need to know what to do to get ride of it or to at least keep it under control because I feel like I sound cocky but really I have lost all confidence in my riding recently.

One question, Am I A Bad Person For Feeling Like This?
                            You have the better horse and he is giving you a better experience than your friend's horse is giving her.
                            Now give Unya the best experience you can. Start to love him. And then ride like it.
                            Good luck.
                            Rack on!

Comment

Sometimes my feelings overwhelm me and I do things i definitely regret
                              We all do.

So my plan will be to get a therapist (once I have the money), no more social media for a while until I can get my feelings sorted out, no more hanging out with my friend (who actually called me a bad rider today after Unya had a freak out moment, not his fault I thought the puddle or however you call it jump was simple and he panicked) because she is toxic and it only makes me even more toxic, I will also try to think more positive and maybe take a day off of riding during the week just to play liberty with Unya, no riding included... I don't know if that sounds like a good plan?
                              This sounds like a great plan moving forward. Also, stop referring to this person as your friend. She is very obviously not. There's more than just your envy going on is this whole situation, based on everything you keep saying. This person is a snob who treats you like dirt, and you do NOT need her in your life.

I'd also suggest seeing if you can find a new trainer.

Comment

Welcome to our forum.

First of all take a deep breath.

From now on you are going to take control of your thoughts.

Your mind needs training. For 24 hours take note of your thoughts - are they positive or negative. Just observe.

Your mind is like a garden. If it is fed with negative thoughts, it will think negative thoughts. Just think of watching the news and how much negativity is feeding your mind.

Now take control. You have the power and ability to think any thought you want. This is very powerful. This will change your life. Eg. If you think it is okay to kill someone, you will end up in jail. Your life has changed.

So think good thoughts. And most of all be kind. Use this power very wisely.

You can look in the mirror and recite affirmations. This means 10 times or more. You can recite them in bed. On the horse you can recite. Every day I now ride with my heels down and my thumbs up. The every day and the now are the most important for whatever you want to change it to.

Every day in every way I am now getting better and better and better.

You can make up your own. Surround yourself with positive people.

As for Unya. Again take a deep breath. Training horses is not about what they can do today. It is about what they do for you in the future. Don't ask him to jump high. Bring the jumps down to 1m and look for good rounds that are easy. As he does that he will gain confidence. You will get confidence.

Don't look at what riders are doing when they first buy a horse.

Look at what happens in a years time and 3 years time. In a year the horse stops being praised By year 3 it is referred to as stupid and they get another horse.

Don't be like that. Be the kind that the horse gets better and better and you don't want to sell because you love riding it in 3 years time.

and you can pick up cheap the stupid horse after 3 years and turn it into the lovely horse that you want to keep.
                                It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Ok, this story is evolving for me.

OP, you don't have a friend. You have a "frenemy" which is a common thing in high school, someone in your social circle that acts like a friend but is really out to cut you down. It's a form of mean girl bullying.

You need to put some space between you and this person. Perhaps if she says anything again you can very sincerely ask if she wants to get on and school your horse through the problem. And when she refuses you can just smile and rude away.

If this girl is undermining you in group lessons then switch to another lesson time.

​​​​​​No real friend would say you were a bad rider because the horse was giving you trouble. This kind of comment is only intended to cut you down and make you doubt yourself.

Realize that you two are not friends and you need to stop letting her into your headspace if that makes sense.
                                  ​​​​​

Comment

Similarly friends don't post pics of their friends on the internet for strangers to slag. That is definitely not someone I would want to be friends with at all.
                                    Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

Depending on the age of your horse, which if you are jumping as much as you say you are, and showing him, I would say that castrating him isn't going to change THAT much of his personality. He may calm down some, but castrating later isn't some miracle that will suddenly turn him into a puppy.

And honestly, if he is so hard to handle and is that much of a pain and hard to ride, you should really scale back on him and do a lot of flat work and dressage. Smaller gymnastics. Are there other barns in the area?

Another thing that has been mentioned, of course the trainer is appeasing his meal ticket. Unfortunately that's how it works sometimes. Trainers kiss the asses of those who pay them more...

Darn, I missed the photos!

Comment

No matter how much praise your "friend" gets nothing gets taken away from you, your skills, and your horse.

​​​​​​Praise heaped on anyone else doesn't change how good you are at doing the same thing. This is hard for children to understand, and seems to be one of those unwritten things that children are supposed to figure out on their own because no one ever actually explains it. Then it makes teen years even harder.

Your "friend" rides better than you want us to believe, but tearing her down won't make you a better rider.

Forcing Unya to jump 1.20m before he is ready won't make you a better rider. Your coach wisely stopped you when you completely failed to realize Unya wasn't ready for 1.20m. That doesn't make you a bad rider unless you choose to believe you're just being held back for no reason.

I had a friend who had learned to ride much younger than me. She always had the mindset, which she shared freely, that she was a better rider than I was in every way from knowledge to actual horse handling. I assumed that she knew what I did and could handle anything I could until all the little incidents where she struggled got more pronounced and added up to the truth after each of us got our first horse.

We were friends outside of horses and I was able to forgive her need to feel superior to me, in large part because I was so enamored with my own horse. I quietly did my own thing and assigned her horse related advice the minimal weight it deserved.

Think about it - how does praise for your "friend" take anything away from you?

PS I audited a dressage clinic where one of the riders obviously just wanted the bragging rights of "I rode with so-and-so!" That rider refused to alter their own riding, position, aids, nothing and the clinician gave up and got them to do various movements to illustrate his informal lecture to the. auditors. I don't think the rider noticed.

Perhaps your coach has given up on your "friend's" flaws while he knows you are actively working to improve. Those little pearls of praise he drops for you are more valuable than you know.

My favorite dressage coach's highest praise was "Super!" and I worked my butt off to earn that one little word. Once I rode someone else's horse in a lesson and he very off handedly told the owner (knowing I could hear) "She knows what she's doing. I don't even need to be here." That was higher praise for me than any number of " Super!"s he could have given.

You have some ideas for distancing yourself. I hope this has given you some ideas for different ways of thinking about things as well. Good luck!!

Comment

• AnnieCampy happy to retract either and/or both of my previous queries/comments. Reading through most of the helpful and supportive comments, and trying to understand your perspective from an age-group and cultural perspective... I therefore hope that you're able to take on board and utilize some of the excellent tips and options that have been given her. Good luck! (You are obviously NOT a "bad" person - just seeking perspective and understanding.. I do wish you the best and go hug that horse!)

Comment

Working...
                                          X