Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

We're Back!

We experienced a cyber attack that wiped out the site's content earlier this week via a software vulnerability, but the developers were able to restore everything from backups.

We updated our software to implement available patches and will be making further cosmetic changes to the site to restore it. Performance is slow right now, but by early next week, the developers will have restored a few optimization strategies they usually have in place to keep things percolating smoothly.

Going forward, we will make some changes to the site to limit the number of customizations we implement to the software, so that it is easier to keep current on updates and patches if they are released.

The developers do not believe that this was a "personal" attack, where someone is targeting the Chronicle's site with malicious intent against us specifically. These cyber jerks apparently just cruise the Internet, scanning for known vulnerabilities to attack.

They are confident passwords were not accessed, but even if they were, we store password encrypted, so that should not be an issue. Of course, if anyone has concerns about password security, changing related passwords is always an option for peace of mind.

Please report any glitches in a thread we'll be starting in the Help forum.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

When looking for a prospect, which would you pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if people mentioned this but the one thing about Baby that makes it affordable is your friend willing to board it cheaply. Can you support it if you have a falling out and have to pay real board? BTDT
    www.abacusfurniture.com

Bit Chair: https://www.instagram.com/p/BNfIUYig...bacusfurniture

Comment

I think if you put the carry costs over 4 years into an account (and really commit to putting that money in every month) you would have a relatively decent budget for an older green WB.

My gelding's career ended due to injury, so I put the training and shoeing bills into an account ($900 month saved) and kept enjoying him however I could. When you factor in body clipping and the savings on show fees, it really added up! I was able to buy a lovely green who was far enough along to skip 3' greens and go to 3'3". I'm so happy I waited it out. When my horse had a horrific colic episode last year and I lost him unexpectedly, I had the savings I needed for his cremation and I was able to move forward with my new horse after a relatively brief search. He's insured so if anything happens at least I'm covered. With a foal, anything can happen. Injury, OCD, etc... When you add up the costs of carrying that foal, plus insurance, it may be worthwhile to wait and save and buy something that is already proven to do the job, even if its somewhat green at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Against*All*Odds View Post
        I don't know if people mentioned this but the one thing about Baby that makes it affordable is your friend willing to board it cheaply. Can you support it if you have a falling out and have to pay real board? BTDT

Yup! The breeder offers this for anyone that buys a foal/youngster from them so it’s their general policy. Good point though!
        "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Comment

Originally posted by StormyDay View Post
          Baby WB for me too. I’ve had bad lameness issues with TBs and have yet to meet one who didn’t have something wrong. Sweet horses but I feel they got the short straw genetics wise and many people can’t afford to have a horse sit in a field their whole life.
          As someone who owns both....WB are not immune to soundness issues. I have two well bred ones that will never be more than pets. Honestly....I’ve had more soundness issues with the WBs than with the TBs....but really, horses in general just try and break.

Personally....I’d save until you can afford a more going horse. A project horse is going to be a risk no matter what the breed.
          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I went baby wb. He fell into my lap and it was meant to be. My first horse was a sport bred TB mare. I loved her but I was tired of a lifetime of saying "Whoa, easy". I was ready got a change. So I got a just turned 2 yr old by Romantic Star, a Hanoverian stallion out of a huge appendix mare. I thought he was beautiful at 2, but he is *stunning* at almost 7. Hes been a dreamboat. Trained him 100% myself I knew I would never be able to afford a 7 yr old wb like him so this was perfect for me. I think a wb will generally have a better resale value if that is a factor. I also liked that I had control over how fast (rather; SLOW) he was started.
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post

As someone who owns both....WB are not immune to soundness issues. I have two well bred ones that will never be more than pets. Honestly....I’ve had more soundness issues with the WBs than with the TBs....but really, horses in general just try and break.

Personally....I’d save until you can afford a more going horse. A project horse is going to be a risk no matter what the breed.
              Definitely not immune but just in my experience, WBs tend to break less. OTTBS aren’t bred for longevity and unless you get one who never went to the track, started too young. I have not met a single one who went to the track who didn’t have some sort of arthritis at a young age. Usually totally manageable but still not great when they are seven and have hock and stifle arthritis.

Comment

Honestly have no real advice for you, just chuckling as I was in a similar scenario last fall. I lost my big mare, and I have enough to ride that don't belong to me that I was left to decide: get something rideable now (likely OTTB), or buy a baby and wait some time. Similar budgeting concerns etc.

So I decided on baby. And I decided, "hey, since I'm waiting anyway and have lots to ride, I'll save my pennies and buy a really NICE baby." I was so committed to my path. Have had so many rehab projects and "undo the bad crap and find the nice horse underneath" situations. A blanks slate, I said. That's what I want!

And then I went to lunch with a friend who said "so are you looking for another horse?" to which I foolishly replied "well, noooo, but you know? Sometimes the right equine just comes into your life so who knows!"

So anyway that's the story of how my committed plan to save for a blank slate lasted... ooooh 45 days. And now I have a 7 y/o rehab project But he's pretty amazing and WELL above my pay grade so it's working out!

As far as advice? Just send your intention for a new equine into the world. Sometimes the right one finds you

Comment

Originally posted by kashmere View Post
                  Honestly have no real advice for you, just chuckling as I was in a similar scenario last fall. I lost my big mare, and I have enough to ride that don't belong to me that I was left to decide: get something rideable now (likely OTTB), or buy a baby and wait some time. Similar budgeting concerns etc.

So I decided on baby. And I decided, "hey, since I'm waiting anyway and have lots to ride, I'll save my pennies and buy a really NICE baby." I was so committed to my path. Have had so many rehab projects and "undo the bad crap and find the nice horse underneath" situations. A blanks slate, I said. That's what I want!

And then I went to lunch with a friend who said "so are you looking for another horse?" to which I foolishly replied "well, noooo, but you know? Sometimes the right equine just comes into your life so who knows!"

So anyway that's the story of how my committed plan to save for a blank slate lasted... ooooh 45 days. And now I have a 7 y/o rehab project But he's pretty amazing and WELL above my pay grade so it's working out!

As far as advice? Just send your intention for a new equine into the world. Sometimes the right one finds you

Great advice!
                  "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Comment

I have done both and have had great results. It really depends on the individual horse. When my mare was about 7 I bought a reallllllyyyyy fancy young colt because my mom and I wanted a project we could bring along together. I wasn't sure how my timeline was going to work our because I knew my boy would be ready to start before my mare was ready for a new job, but I'm good with winging it. I board one horse and my parents have a farm a few hours away, so the colt went there. 2 years ago my mare was coming off of a rehab and injured herself AGAIN. My young horse was only 2. We decided to breed my (extremely lovely and well bred) mare and throw her in the pasture for a year. My baby horse wasn't ready to get started, so I ended up buying an OTTB from KY and shipping him east. I chose an attractive, sound, quiet bay gelding. He's one of the best choices I've ever made. He was supposed to be a re-sell project, but I made the mistake of falling in love with him. He's easy to love. Now he is out on lease and I am preparing to start my young horse. If my only horse right now was my OTTB, I'd be perfectly happy with that. If my only horse right now was my young horse, I'd be perfectly happy with that. Instead, I've got 4 .

So, check out the babies and see if you like them. You can also get a nice OTTB for a great price right now. I got mine from Amy Lynn Paulus and highly recommend her, she knows good horses. Jessica Redman also has some REALLY LOVELY OTTBs and I know people who have had great experiences with her.

For the record, I bought my WB gelding to be my AO hunter, but I was doing the local circuit with my OTTB and enjoyed that immensely as well. We have a nice local circuit in my area. So my ambition is not as high as it once was.

Comment

Definitely not immune but just in my experience, WBs tend to break less. OTTBS aren’t bred for longevity and unless you get one who never went to the track, started too young. I have not met a single one who went to the track who didn’t have some sort of arthritis at a young age. Usually totally manageable but still not great when they are seven and have hock and stifle arthritis.
                      Then you have limited exposure. I’ve had many very sound OTTBs who raced (more than 10 starts). I had horses for over 40 years (own more than 20 right now). In my experience the WBs break more. But that is a huge generalization. It really is NOT bred related.
                      ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
                        Instead, I've got 4 .
                        That has happened to me. I was about ready to name the next one Potato Chip.
                        The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Comment

Originally posted by pony grandma View Post

That has happened to me. I was about ready to name the next one Potato Chip.
                          No kidding . People keep asking if I will breed my mare again. Um, not any time soon... I bred a chestnut mare and got a chestnut mare out of it . Good thing I get along just great with chestnut mares because they are half of my herd!

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post

No kidding . People keep asking if I will breed my mare again. Um, not any time soon... I bred a chestnut mare and got a chestnut mare out of it . Good thing I get along just great with chestnut mares because they are half of my herd!
                            Too funny! My current mare is a big chestnut mare as well! She can be tough and is not an easy ride but is a lot of fun!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post

Then you have limited exposure. I’ve had many very sound OTTBs who raced (more than 10 starts). I had horses for over 40 years (own more than 20 right now). In my experience the WBs break more. But that is a huge generalization. It really is NOT bred related.
                              Well than you have had better luck than me and those around me. I’ve been around a lot of OTTBS. Glad you’ve had better luck.

Comment

Well than you have had better luck than me and those around me. I’ve been around a lot of OTTBS. Glad you’ve had better luck.
                                It’s not about luck. It’s about knowing what to look for....and it is not always buying the cheap or free ones. In all honestly...most good OTTBs were a LOT more expensive to get on the ground and produce than any warmbloods. I breed warmbloods be cause I cannot afford to breed TBs! But you have to know who are good trainers and good breeders. I’ve gotten several very nice OTTBs directly from their breeders who owned and raced them. Others I’ve gotten through connections that I have and a few I’ve gotten from very good re-sellers who know their connections.

I’ve bred many warmbloods as well and known just as many. They go just as lame as any OTTB. . Just when people have lame warmbloods...they don’t blame it on being a warmblood.....just like chestnut mares....when people have a crazy bay gelding...they don’t blame it on their sex and color like they do with chestnut mares. Yes...there are many damaged OTTBs....I’ve rescued a few of those too. Ones I wanted to make sure had a soft landing after they were wrecked at the track. I’ve also seen wrecked WB and other breeds. Unfortunately....its horses and lack of horsemanship.

For the OP....a very well known and good horseman said to me...don’t get attached to the young horses until they live past the age of 6. This was very sage advice. Yes...you can buy a youngster....and honestly it is rewarding to ride a horse that you have raised...but they can break your heart too.
                                Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 21, 2020, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I'm going to go with others who have touched on option C, which is setting aside the $$ you have right now, and then each month adding to it what you would have spent on board, farrier, vet, training, gas driving to the barn, etc. By the time that imaginary yearling turned 3 you would have a nice nest egg in the bank to buy something a little further along.

You can, of course, keep your eyes open for a TB or a diamond in the rough as your money is accumulating. The problem with TBs is that there are a lot of them that are not suitable for modern h/j disciplines and they are hard to re-sell, often selling for a fraction of what they would be worth if they were a WB. However, I think at least you can see what type of adult horse you have at the time of purchase.

As far as buying a young WB, a lot can go wrong. Even a gorgeous yearling can turn out to need OCD surgery or have a soundness issue. Also, young horses are individuals. Some are gonna grow up to have quirks, some are going to grow up to have slightly different talents or personality traits than what you hoped. I know a LOT of people who have gone this route, investing a lot into raising a special yearling only at the end of the day the horse is just not the specific horse they wanted, lacking the particular talent, suitability, or personality (or soundness level) that they had hoped for. Also, getting young horses started under saddle can be a PITA for someone who owns just a single youngster. I get it that the process seems fun on the outside, and if you genuinely want to experience the process, go for it. Just be aware that financially it is a better deal to buy something further along.

Comment

Fun thread! A friend of mine and I were both looking for a new horse. I saved for years and got a perfect young 3 year old WB. My friend was open to any good horse and after trying many, wound up with a TB who is the love of her life. I love my new horse too, but had to spend more than expected in training, while her horse is jumping well now and can take her over courses. TBs can be fantastic, but so are young warmbloods. I personally would not get one less than 3, because too much could happen.

Comment

Working...
                                    X