Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

We're Back!

We experienced a cyber attack that wiped out the site's content earlier this week via a software vulnerability, but the developers were able to restore everything from backups.

We updated our software to implement available patches and will be making further cosmetic changes to the site to restore it. Performance is slow right now, but by early next week, the developers will have restored a few optimization strategies they usually have in place to keep things percolating smoothly.

Going forward, we will make some changes to the site to limit the number of customizations we implement to the software, so that it is easier to keep current on updates and patches if they are released.

The developers do not believe that this was a "personal" attack, where someone is targeting the Chronicle's site with malicious intent against us specifically. These cyber jerks apparently just cruise the Internet, scanning for known vulnerabilities to attack.

They are confident passwords were not accessed, but even if they were, we store password encrypted, so that should not be an issue. Of course, if anyone has concerns about password security, changing related passwords is always an option for peace of mind.

Please report any glitches in a thread we'll be starting in the Help forum.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

When looking for a prospect, which would you pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When looking for a prospect, which would you pick?

As I start to consider my next mount when I retire The Queen, would love your opinion on which avenue you would take.

Baby Warmblood or an OTTB? Realistically I will not have the budget for much more. I have a breeder friend that breeds lovely, quiet, great minded babies. Have had the opportunity to ride two and work with 4. All fabulous brains. Downfall is that I’d have to buy a yearling or weanling and play the waiting game.

Owner will cheaply board the baby at her place for however long so it can grow up with other babies in a huge field. OTTB’s obviously can be ridden and developed faster in the same price range as a baby, but are not without issues. I’ve started/brought along a good handful of babies in my younger years. I’ve also done at lot of OTTBs. Would love to hear your opinions/insights! Why would you go the route you stated?
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

If you haven't yet retired your horse, I'd go with the great minded baby this spring. You'll have your houre while baby grows up, and as you taper/ease the Queen into retirement, baby can start getting trained up.

but i have no idea what your timelines are like, or if that would be feasible.

Comment

I think you need to ask yourself what type of qualities you are looking for. Big, floaty movement? Want the A circuit hunter look? Are these babies growing up to be horses you can see yourself loving riding in the future, or no? If so, probably want to stick with the WB. If you've not yet retired your horse yet, buying a baby now would probably be good timing. Or are you happy with something that you can ride now, and while possibly more average moving/jumping, would be a fun and capable mount? Then the OTTB route can be a great option.

I did this back in 2013. I debated between a lovely, big Holsteiner 2 yr old and getting an OTTB. The Holsteiner was already stretching my budget, but he was super nice, his siblings were in the barn and were maturing to be pretty nice and consistent, and I saw him as a horse for the future. While he grew up I knew I could lesson and help school the other young horses in the barn and still have riding time. But I had also grown up on TBs, and was feeling like I wanted to go back to TBs after spending the last several years on WBs and Irish horses (who are all mindblowingly awesome). So, like you know, those are two very different options.

I went the OTTB route and it worked perfectly for me. As I was casually debating between the WB baby and OTTBs, a lovely prospect popped up on the CANTER website. Tried putting it out of my mind, but I kept coming back to him, called, and that weekend I was on a plane to check him out. It really was a time sensitive decision at the end of the day. Soon, who would go on to be my heart horse, was getting interest from other buyers. That, paired with the relatively low price point made it a pretty simple decision. I also wanted to be able to ride and train my horse now, versus another two years from now. Riding wise I really couldn't ride the big, loose moving WBs anymore with my bad back. A more average/humble moving TB is a much more enjoyable ride for me these days, as much as I drool over those huge moving types. It also is nice having the OTTB as more of a "known quantity" in terms of work ethic and soundness - Soon had raced 52 times with no lameness, and he continued to hold up beautifully. With a baby, that's a bit of an unknown. The nice thing about a baby is you can determine how he/she is molded and brought up, and you don't always get a full history on an OTTB.

I liked that the budget I had (which would be entirely eaten by the purchase price of the WB) would pay for the OTTB, a new saddle if necessary, lessons, insurance, and a cash heap to use for veterinary expenses until the insurance was increased enough to be useful. I didn't have any buffer with the WB, and that made me uneasy. My mentality with the OTTB was since it would be a relatively low cost/risk investment, if the horse didn't end up working out for me, just retrain, resell, and re-evaluate my path from there.

And that WB baby I wanted? I kept track of him, and like most of his siblings he grew up to be a big, easy packer type that is a lovely AA/AO hunter and equitation horse. Would have been happy with him too.

But buying that OTTB was decision I've ever made in my life. Ever. You can read about Soon in my COTH blogs or my regular blog in my signature block. He saved my life. He and I had this beautiful, amazing, crazy journey that I could have never anticipated, could not have possibly scripted, and would not trade in for the world. The whole world.
      War Horse Blog
      Blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse

Comment

Originally posted by LilRanger View Post
        If you haven't yet retired your horse, I'd go with the great minded baby this spring. You'll have your houre while baby grows up, and as you taper/ease the Queen into retirement, baby can start getting trained up.

but i have no idea what your timelines are like, or if that would be feasible.
        That’s actually exactly what my plan would be.
        "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Comment

I think the answer depends on what your riding and showing goals are.

Comment

Depends on your budget and timeline too. If you are in your late 40s, you may not want to go with a WB yearling with a 4 year horizon.
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I've done both....and honestly next time I'd take that 2-3-4 years you wait for the baby to grow up, send what it would cost to board, trim, and do basic vet work on it for those years, then buy something fancy already going under saddle with the money you'll have then. Babies are so risky. A lot can happen to a horse in 3-4 years. I have the colic surgery bill for a 3 yo to prove it....sigh.

That said, a good OTTB is never a bad way to go. I'm in love with my current one. He's a lovely mover but also has the best brain. In a few years he will be one of those "anyone can ride" types, with the athleticism to keep it interesting.

Comment

I too had this dilemma and I ended up going the WB baby route. I second fordtraktor's opinion though, you factor in regular maintenance, board, etc. and you basically have the budget for a well brought up warmblood - that is if you want to continue horseless for the time being. I was not okay with that unfortunately!

I'm young and felt like I had the time to wait for a nice horse. I've ridden OTTBs almost my entire riding career, with only being on a handful of nice WBs here and there and so I wanted my own "fancy" horse. However, there is no guarantee with babies so I also had to take that into consideration and take the risk. I got lucky with mine, she vetted nearly perfect and is one of the smartest, solid brained horses I've ever had the pleasure of working with. No regrets on my end, HOWEVER, it is pretty painful to wait until that third year for backing/under saddle training. How I wish I had my own horse to sit on.

In the meantime, we did lots of groundwork (she is polite as can be), and I also had the opportunity to ride a variety of other horses at my barn which increased my versatility, which I find is really beneficial.

Ultimately, both choices are wonderful and I hope you find your perfect match!

Comment

Baby WB for me too. I’ve had bad lameness issues with TBs and have yet to meet one who didn’t have something wrong. Sweet horses but I feel they got the short straw genetics wise and many people can’t afford to have a horse sit in a field their whole life.

Comment

This was my budget, too - went with a TB, he’s a lovely mover and has a very ammy-friendly brain - you can really find a gem, if you look! I am hoping to eventually get a little farmette, so I can have more than one horse - and I’m looking forward to facing this dilemma again!

Comment

Both are risky IMO. Babies are a risk in keeping them safe and sound until they are actually ready to do something, and OTTB's have their own soundness issues more often than not.

I liked the suggestion of collecting the money you would be spending on purchase, board and care over the downward swing years for your queen.

Comment

I've also been debating this same exact thing. I think I've landed in the camp of OTTB though because of the fact that I'm horseless right now and wouldn't want to wait for a baby to grow up before I have something to ride. You're obviously in a different position having another horse that's still ride-able, though.

I think either is obviously a risk but the nice thing about an OTTB would be that it would take a lot less time (and board/training/etc) to realize if the horse isn't a fit for you and send it on its way. Also, there's so many people now that flip OTTBs...you don't have to take the big risk of getting it directly off the track. You can see how they move and jump before you buy, and while you might pay a bit of a premium for that, it would still be well within the range of a quality WB baby.
                        My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
                        http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Comment

Done the baby WB thing 3x. Would do it every time
                          Draumr Hesta Farm
                          "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                          Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

Originally posted by Nootka View Post
                            Done the baby WB thing 3x. Would do it every time

Do you mind if I ask why?

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Comment

I have a ton of time to figure it out still, so thanks for everyone's suggestions/recommendations and for sharing your experiences!

I will say that I have seen a *lot* of really nice OTTB's lately! Several of my friends have them and are incredibly happy with their purchases. I'm enjoying window shopping for now at least!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Comment

I would rather do training right the first time and know their whole history. I've had horrible luck with OTTBs. I can buy a fancy baby for less than a made one and control most of its environment growing up. Yes, it is time consuming but I love babies.
                                Draumr Hesta Farm
                                "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                                Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

Some good perspectives so far. The other thing to keep in mind is resale value should the horse prove to be not quite what you’re looking for. If that baby or OTTB doesn't develop into the horse you want, which will command the higher price? Almost certainly, it’s the warmblood.

Yes, there are super nice OTTBs out there. And there are a ton of buyers who absolutely refuse to look at them. Having had both TBs and WBs in my life, I think that’s a shame. But it’s also the reality we live in, and it’s worth bearing in mind in case you ever have to put the horse on the market.

Comment

I did the WB baby thing about 8 years ago and have no regrets. I was in the same boat where it was going to be OTTB or yearling WB based on my budget. I found a yearling WB I fell in love with and after getting him vetted had him shipped from Oklahoma to Alberta and spent the next few years just playing around, grooming him and working on basic manners. He was by far the easiest horse I have ever started, and I had a lot of trust in what his responses to new things would be by the time he was being started under saddle having spent so much time with him.

He grew up to be nicer than I dared to hope and gave me the opportunity to compete in hunters, jumpers, and equitation on the A circuit which I hadn't had the opportunity to do in many years. He was an absolute dream horse in every way imaginable. I did end up making the decision to sell him this year because I felt he was too nice a horse, for what I currently have time to ride and show. Being a beautiful moving, well bred, exceptionally quiet trainable gelding made it a lot easier to find a good home than had I been trying to market an OTTB. I have ridden plenty of OTTB's and think they can be amazing but they are definitely harder to sell.

Comment

Good points on the resale portion of it as well, that’s not something I had thought much about.

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Comment

Talked to breeder friend and she has a few babies that will be born this summer that would likely suit what I’m looking for. Will be fun keeping an eye on the babies at least!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Comment

Working...
                                        X