Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

105 DSCN0687

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

The Secret Of The Universe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Secret Of The Universe

I usually ride my well broke horse. I started him many years ago and I (and many other ammies who have ridden him) can find perfect distances. But, today I rode my young horse, who has only had pro rides. My job was hill works, at the walk, to strengthen his hind end.. How hard could that be?

As it turned out, it was very hard. For those of you who know S Pines, I was on the Hunter Trial Field, with flat and hilly areas. And long distances to put your eye on to go straight to the other side.

I discovered that going straight was very hard. A pros' ride is so technically advanced, that they are doing things without even noticing. A pro, to get straight to a jump is actually going through a series of teeny movements: If the horse is drifting left, the rider adds L leg until he passes through center, then the right leg adds pressure to move left etc. The series of L to rt to left. motions are so small, that we cannot see them. And the (pro) rider probably is unconsciously doing them. I,e. , to stay aimed at the center of the jump, the pro is constantly changing legs to maintain "straight". and Wallacht!!!!!!, the horse gets to the jump perfectly.

Then the ammie gets on and things fall apart because the cue to change from l to
    center is different. The horse has not learned "straight" in the same way. He has learned move his body in one direction until he is told to move his body to the other.and find a spot in a litter of Dalmatians.

An Ammie broke horse with cues both horse and rider understand, will get on well from the beginning.. If rider and horse use "ammie" cues that both of them know, then the pair is a good one. That is because an Ammie horse is trained to straighten when he stops feeling pressure on his side. It is a correction that requires one cue: Put your leg on to move to the center.Take leg off when in the center, aimed straight at the jump.

No wonder my cute green horse and I were frustrated at first. I expected him to straighten when I removed pressure. He, OTOH, kept moving his body through "straight" until I told him to stop, by using the other leg.

I realize this is a subtle difference that may "solve a problem that never existed", but I don't think so. When I figured out what leg aids he expected from me, we were great. But, to verify my new found theory, I went back to the ammie ride (horse goes straight when pressure is removed) but, once again we were talking different languages.

Try it and see. Or when inquiring about a horse, ask who broke it or had ridden it for a long time. Based on my new theory, a pro trained horse might frustrate an ammie until they speak the same language. It might be a lovely horse, but "is considered to be not a good fit, only because he was taught different aids. This may be corrected is several rides -- surely within several weeks. But your trainer must be good enough to see the subtlety and understand why there is a disconnect.

And the whole point of this new found knowledge is that it is hard/impossible to see perfect distances when you are approaching a jump on 2 planes:direct and laterally. Once horse and rider understand the other, it is easy to cure the lateral aspect of the approachand work together, in sinc, on one plane

Not proofread. Must go feed
    "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism" https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/c...lies/smile.gif

Originally posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    The series of L to rt to left. motions are so small, that we cannot see them. And the (pro) rider probably is unconsciously doing them. I,e. , to stay aimed at the center of the jump, the pro is constantly changing legs to maintain "straight". and Wallacht!!!!!!, the horse gets to the jump perfectly.
    Fun fact: Wallach is German for gelding, and I totally read your post that way the first time through:
    The series of L to rt to left. motions are so small, that we cannot see them. And the (pro) rider probably is unconsciously doing them. I,e. , to stay aimed at the center of the jump, the pro is constantly changing legs to maintain "straight". and Gelding!!!!!!, the horse gets to the jump perfectly.
    (You meant "voila" )

Looking forward to seeing others' comments on the actual topic. I am not a pro, but think there is an added layer of complexity/subtlety when you account for the natural straightness and sensitivity of both horse and rider. I've been on sensitive supple horses (both green and not) and have felt the effects of what you're describing as the "pro" aids, and have been on more one-sided horses (green and not) where you almost couldn't actually push across the center and get that same "balanced between the legs" feel as on the supple horses. There's not really a push and release to stay in the center with them either - it's a constant balancing with weight aids plus pushing or supporting with the leg on the side with the tendency to drift.

Comment

I'm an adult Ammy and I broke my gelding. You just have to be patient and know that they don't really understand or have the strength for completely straight. So your legs and arms are playing "Pong" and eventually the horse picks it up and corrections come fewer and farther between. If you never think about straightness on an older horse, shame on you. I say that in a nice way. But the pro doesn't have a magic wand, just awarenes .
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
        I'm an adult Ammy and I broke my gelding. You just have to be patient and know that they don't really understand or have the strength for completely straight. So your legs and arms are playing "Pong" and eventually the horse picks it up and corrections come fewer and farther between. If you never think about straightness on an older horse, shame on you. I say that in a nice way. But the pro doesn't have a magic wand, just awarenes .
        Perhaps you misunderstood:The horses I have started all go through the squrmies and the pretend or real real "Duh, what?" My greenie to which I refer actually did dressage for 2 years, then had some enforced time off before he resurfaced as a hunter. To many, he is not green. But as to balance, changes, jumping, etc., he can pretend to be clueless.

It is the manner of training 1. the more sophisticated, what I call: PRO ride. 2. The ones who stop moving laterally and continue forward at whatever angle the were on when pressure is removed. are the ammie rides. It has nothing to do with age of horse or ability of the rider.

Petey, my currenrt "made" horse has been a winning event horse, with an Olypian, Dressage (Ch 1st level in NC), won a 5'6" 6 bar in jumpers and, many years ago, a trooper as my ammie horse. He knows any command asked of him. Most recently he won a big deal equitation class with a junior (I forget the name, but they gave sashes down to 8th place and rider won a halter). So, any aid, which is remotely accurate will be obeyed to perfection. He is "mah boy" and, although he is 17, he is going strong.. No, I do not worry about aids because he is so broke, he knows more than I do.

PS: The WALLACHT comes from Corrine and her wonderful horse named Willem. He spoke broken English, since he was a Dutch horse by Birth. Words like Wallacht or carrotten, or "this it be good" among many others, were uttered by Willem during what I like to think was " the golden days of COTH.. AHHHHHHH, Nothing lasts forever. Anyone from that era, please say Hi. I wonder how many of us are still here
        "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism" https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/c...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I think of trying to keep a non-straight horse (green or otherwise) as trying to push (coax or direct) an amoeba down a track with chopsticks. If you poke them too hard and too much sideways with one pointy end they just bloop out over the other stick. But if you think of keeping all of the jelliness directed down the track ahead of you it is a bit easier to make the side to side adjustments while they can still be small corrections and also to feel where they are oozing out.

Comment

Perhaps you misunderstood:The horses I have started all go through the squrmies and the pretend or real real "Duh, what?" My greenie to which I refer actually did dressage for 2 years, then had some enforced time off before he resurfaced as a hunter. To many, he is not green. But as to balance, changes, jumping, etc., he can pretend to be clueless.

It is the manner of training 1. the more sophisticated, what I call: PRO ride. 2. The ones who stop moving laterally and continue forward at whatever angle the were on when pressure is removed. are the ammie rides. It has nothing to do with age of horse or ability of the rider.

Petey, my currenrt "made" horse has been a winning event horse, with an Olypian, Dressage (Ch 1st level in NC), won a 5'6" 6 bar in jumpers and, many years ago, a trooper as my ammie horse. He knows any command asked of him. Most recently he won a big deal equitation class with a junior (I forget the name, but they gave sashes down to 8th place and rider won a halter). So, any aid, which is remotely accurate will be obeyed to perfection. He is "mah boy" and, although he is 17, he is going strong.. No, I do not worry about aids because he is so broke, he knows more than I do.

PS: The WALLACHT comes from Corrine and her wonderful horse named Willem. He spoke broken English, since he was a Dutch horse by Birth. Words like Wallacht or carrotten, or "this it be good" among many others, were uttered by Willem during what I like to think was " the golden days of COTH.. AHHHHHHH, Nothing lasts forever. Anyone from that era, please say Hi. I wonder how many of us are still here
            Hi. Lost my username in the transition but I’ve been here since those days. I still call them carrotten, and my husband bought me the Willem model ❤️

Comment

As a poster who cried my way through Willem's loss, hi.

As for "pro" v "ammie" rides, I can add my definition of pro v ammie, ie sensitive and not, or emotional and more...stable , or theatrics v taking a joke. I have one ISH from lines known to be "pro" rides and while he is "mah boy," he is emotional and sensitive. Think trot, and you're trotting; think canter and you better be ready... but if you stop actively riding he gets all unsure of himself and trouble ensues. Now I just picked up adorable and green medium pony mare. Said pony mare is pretty bomb proof and brave, and will happily make her own trail if left to her own devices, but ho boy you gotta be big on your cues. In all I find her to be a more physical ride and will sweat through my breeches on her.
              COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Your equitation horse sounds absolutely scrumptious. And also a bit unicorn-y, like maybe there aren't a whole lot of horses out there that are going to live up to the impression he has made. #theydoexist

I think I have to side with your greenie though, and suggest you consider the other side of this revelation - why aren't you finishing a lateral movement with a forward cue? Going sideways causes a lag in forward impulsion (physics). It's not so much that the trainer is "stopping the horse from moving right", she's sending him forward again (as you should do at the completion of any collection work) which - Voila! Gelding! Wallacht! - stops the right drift. Without that right/finishing leg there is no cue to go forward, and Mr. Greenie is not at the stage at which he can read minds. And he may never be, because that is the stuff of unicorns.

Between leg & hand. Between both legs & both hands. This is a horse "on the aids". This revelation sounds less like "ammie" vs. "pro" and more like you unlocking a key to the puzzle
                EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

Comment

With age comes wisdom but by the time you figure it out, your reflexes and body start to go.

Another great truth. And by age I don’t mean 40. I can say that being 6 months older then the OP here.. she’s doing a remarkable job.
                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

The problem is simple. Your horse learned proper riding "grammar" with a classical pronunciation. Meanwhile your riding him with poor riding "grammar" with a deep South accent.

Going forward straight at the walk is far more difficult than at the trot. They have so much time between each step to do "things". It takes a very quick leg reaction from the rider adjusted to the sensitivity of that particular horse, while the hips still keep sending forward. And yes, the pros do it without as much thought, but they too had to learn somewhere.

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

I think you get pro rides and you get ammy rides and then you get horses that work in a consistent way. I always think my horses are happy in that my brother and I largely ride them and our basic foundations are the same (he has progressed well beyond me but our fundamentals are the same). We are speaking the same language. When someone new gets on they have generally come from my brothers program, so again same language.

When someone new hops on from outside our barn, different program, different language and the time to learn the new language varies.

When I got my current horse he came from a very different program and the basic language was the same but the finer points have taken time to learn.

I think this is what the OP is referring to. The greener horse has a more limited vocabulary and expects very specific communications in everything it does. The more experienced horse has an extensive vocabulary and can respond appropriately to most riders.

Comment

Some riders do not know when they have their leg on.

eg. My mare was almost going over the logs around the arena.

Take your left leg off.

I don't have my left leg on.

My mare told me the leg was on.

I know you said you don't have your left leg on, but I want you to physically lift your left leg off her side.

Vinnie goes straight.
                        It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by dags View Post
                          Your equitation horse sounds absolutely scrumptious. And also a bit unicorn-y, like maybe there aren't a whole lot of horses out there that are going to live up to the impression he has made. #theydoexist

I think I have to side with your greenie though, and suggest you consider the other side of this revelation - why aren't you finishing a lateral movement with a forward cue? Going sideways causes a lag in forward impulsion (physics). It's not so much that the trainer is "stopping the horse from moving right", she's sending him forward again (as you should do at the completion of any collection work) which - Voila! Gelding! Wallacht! - stops the right drift. Without that right/finishing leg there is no cue to go forward, and Mr. Greenie is not at the stage at which he can read minds. And he may never be, because that is the stuff of unicorns.

Between leg & hand. Between both legs & both hands. This is a horse "on the aids". This revelation sounds less like "ammie" vs. "pro" and more like you unlocking a key to the puzzle
                          Very good points that I will make sure that I am using in my next ride.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post
                            As a poster who cried my way through Willem's loss, hi.

As for "pro" v "ammie" rides, I can add my definition of pro v ammie, ie sensitive and not, or emotional and more...stable , or theatrics v taking a joke. I have one ISH from lines known to be "pro" rides and while he is "mah boy," he is emotional and sensitive. Think trot, and you're trotting; think canter and you better be ready... but if you stop actively riding he gets all unsure of himself and trouble ensues. Now I just picked up adorable and green medium pony mare. Said pony mare is pretty bomb proof and brave, and will happily make her ov.wn trail if left to her own devices, but ho boy you gotta be big on your cues. In all I find her to be a more physical ride and will sweat through my breeches on her.
                            Hi Jenners!!
                            I thought through several ' thi's v. 'that' names and came up with Pro, Av.mmie. You definitions are as good as any I could have used. others have come up with great "this" v "that' My basic point was that a disconnect can an does result in problems, not caused by anyone, but by different techniques. Yes, it is up to the trainer to spot the 'disconnect', but often horses are sold or rejected because people do not know, or ask why there is a problem if horse and rider do not get along. The convers is also true: the horse and rider have different ides of wanting v. hating their job. No amout of re training will make the team a good fit.

sorry for the issues with typing. This POS computer will not let me change mistakes. Any one with strong feelings about a great 12 thru 14" laptop under $800 , pls let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Ubu&Goober View Post
                              I think of trying to keep a non-straight horse (green or otherwise) as trying to push (coax or direct) an amoeba down a track with chopsticks. If you poke them too hard and too much sideways with one pointy end they just bloop out over the other stick. But if you think of keeping all of the jelliness directed down the track ahead of you it is a bit easier to make the side to side adjustments while they can still be small corrections and also to feel where they are oozing out.

I absolutely love this. I’m definitely struggling with my amoeba (might be the new nickname!) but loving every minute.

Comment

Any one with strong feelings about a great 12 thru 14" laptop under $800 , pls let me know
                                There are lots of good options under $500.

Go for a solid state hard drive, it solves lots of problems, especially boot up time.

Here's a great option and a recent purchase of mine -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But you said 12" - 14", so go on Amazon and enter your price range, that size range and any other parameters that are important to you. Here's one with your size, well under $500, highly rated and with the solid state hard drive -

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-TFG4H-La...11&s=pc&sr=1-8
                                The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

Another COTH long-timer here! Yes, I miss Willem too - still remember the description of calling the feedstore, ordering alfalfa to be delivered, and specifying exactly where the bale should be left ... Among other deeds. Glad to hear that you have unlocked the secret. And don't forget, "sit up and add leg" always works in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post
                                    As a poster who cried my way through Willem's loss, hi..
                                    Me too! Been on here for eons.

Libby
                                    Libby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
                                    X